Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RD

Carbon dioxide

Biogas produced from waste biomass is a roughly equal mixture of methane and carbon dioxide. Can anyone tell me what became of this carbon dioxide content during the formation of natural gas deposits? If it dissolved in the underground water,then it would be released as the reservoir pressure fell during depletion.

I'm not a geologist but if you're asking about what happened millions of years ago when the gas deposits formed, CO2 levels in earth's atmosphere have varied quite a bit over geological time. There is a whole carbon cycle of carbon being expelled out of volcanoes and then ending up in the earth's crust or the ocean or whatever. Before anyone jumps down my throat saying that's not how it works, there will be material online and to be clear we're talking about the geological processes, not the current obsession with carbon. That should be a different matter.  

18 hours ago, Richard D said:

Biogas produced from waste biomass is a roughly equal mixture of methane and carbon dioxide. Can anyone tell me what became of this carbon dioxide content during the formation of natural gas deposits? If it dissolved in the underground water,then it would be released as the reservoir pressure fell during depletion.

I'm not sure if this is what you intend to inquire but here is something for your reference.........

In petroleum production, gas is sometimes burned as flare gas. Before natural gas can be used as a fuel, most, but not all, must be processed to remove impurities, including water, to meet the specifications of marketable natural gas. The by-products of this processing include ethane, propane, butanes, pentanes, and higher molecular weight hydrocarbons, hydrogen sulfide (which may be converted into pure sulfur), carbon dioxide, water vapor, and sometimes helium and nitrogen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas#:~:text=Natural gas (also called fossil,%2C hydrogen sulfide%2C or helium.

1. carbon dioxide is flared into the air as one of the by products

2. carbon cycle shows that carbon dioxide released into the air will 

a) be absorbed by plants during photosynthesis to form oxygen and food

b) dissolve in water vapour and form acid rain on cumulative effect

c) dissolve in water body to form weak acid. The colder the temperature, the more weak acid solvent formed.

d) form calcium carbonate in the presence of water and lime stones

e) etc

image.png.3838d20e6ee7b75e5057227d2b9db484.png