Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OS

Oil-Rich Nigeria Turns To Renewable Energy As Population Booms

11 hours ago, Ian Austin said:

Size of last casing would be 159-222 mm Internal diameter, so diameter of bar could have been in the 150-210 mm range, depending on availability/forming etc (honestly, we got derailed before it got that far).  You’re correct, we were talking heavy stuff like Lead etc. 

I sholud have given more detail - didn’t himknit would really be as much of a discussion point as it was 

The idea (if possible) was to co-locate with each cluster of wind turbines 

I suspect this proposal would be good for frequency balancing rather than storage. 50 tonnes dropped down 3000 metres can provide a lot of s  output or input over a short duration.

Depleted U would be unlikely due to cost and handling issues so Lead most likely.

11 hours ago, markslawson said:

NickW - again you simply haven't understood, or chose not to understand, the point I was  making. The Feed In Tariffs for those rooftop solar systems use to be much higher - that's when the big explosion in installations took place. Now they are lower, thankfully, but the damage has been done and shouldn't be there at all given the way the panels are messing up the system, especially as they still amount to an incentive. Now go and look at your attempt to explain away the STC benefit - the argument you are using is one for fairness and not about incentives at all. You basically couldn't think of any other way to explain it away, I guess. Anyway, leave it with you. 

I entirely understand and acknowledge the issue which you raise of high peak day time output hence my suggestion that more needs  to be done to shift demand to that period hence the reference to ASHP for hot water on time switches or intelligent diverters.

Anyway what tangible damage?

A friend is a former Engineer with Western Power and I recall him saying that apart from solar supressing daytime demand it was not a significant issue for them and certainly not endangering the network. In Perth a lot of demand management is performed by the Desal plant at Kwinana that ramps up and down accordingly.