Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VK

Uber Unveils The Flying Taxi

Uber is partnering with five aerospace companies  Karem, Embraer, Pipistrel,  Boeing subsidiary Aurora Flight Sciences and Bell to develop aircraft for the flying taxi project.The concept is all-electric, and seats four people plus a pilot and it is supposed to cruise at between 150 and 200 miles per hour, up to 2,000 feet above the ground. A single charge will be good enough for 60 miles of range, and Uber expects the thing to need just five minutes to top up the batteries between flights. Initially, they’ll have a human pilot, but eventually, they should be autonomous. Uber’s timeline calls for commercial flights in just five years. Are we ready for this? 

I get angry when I see that kind of news. Why can't we just tackle one innovation before moving onto the next? Tesla can't even get driverless cars right, and now we're talking about flying them? Sheesh.

• Upvote 1

Hard pass on Uber and driverless cars, and not to mention flying cars. How this company has earned anyone's trust is beyond me.

• Like 1

This is a company with  a great vision, changing a way of thinking about transportation, creating something that never existed before and doing that with world class engineers. But of course without any rush until they are completely sure they have done everything to avoid any kind of accidents. 

Facebook might be the only company I trust less that Uber. No effing way will I get into an Uber aircraft. Like traffic down here on the ground isn't bad enough.  Just wondering how much would it cost? 

• Like 1

Not cheap at all, as expected. $5.73 per passenger mile but should go down to $1.86. But Uber is planning to get $0.44 per passenger mile which sounds  incredible considering how much they charge their service now on the ground. 

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

I get angry when I see that kind of news. Why can't we just tackle one innovation before moving onto the next? Tesla can't even get driverless cars right, and now we're talking about flying them? Sheesh.

boys love toys.

• Like 1