Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

Who's the Greenest of Them All?

I just read that BP's bought a large stake in a solar power company. There's obviously a rush to go green. Some are doing it better than others--Statoil and Total, even Shell--and others, like Exxon, seem to still hang tightly to their core business. I'm not sure how things will look 20 years from now in Big Oil but judging from current energy trends I'd say it's Go Green or Waste Away.

yeah, they're all diversifying into renewables. I think French Total is the most aggressive in this area.

Oil companies are seeing reduced revenues and want piece of solar power cake which is now cheaper and cleaner than ever. 

Solar power is the future in Earth's climate. Big oil companies have to get on board. 

Solar power is already regulated by the Big Oil so they have control over it anyway

Not sure what you mean by 'regulated', Vlad. You mean Big Oil's already all over renewables? If so, yes--they see which way the wind is blowing, quite literally. 

It is nice to see that oil companies are feeling threatened by renewable energy enough to fight for it

Big oil companies are really, really worried about the sharp falls in the price of solar power....

Big Oil will survive... even if it means they will someday be known collectively as Big Wind

diversifying into renewables, yes, but still their total investments are just a blip in their overall revenues. 

On 12/15/2017 at 3:23 PM, Kate Turlington said:

yeah, they're all diversifying into renewables. I think French Total is the most aggressive in this area.

yep. I think so, too. Can't help but admire this. They really are wasting no time.

On 12/15/2017 at 9:36 PM, Rodent said:

Big Oil will survive... even if it means they will someday be known collectively as Big Wind

i like the sound of that for some reason... But yeah, as long as there's oil to extract and buyers to sell it to the'll hardly give it up. Still, the effort is impressive, even Exxon joined the choir.

They are all in. 

- Royal Dutch Shell plans to halve its carbon emissions by 2050

- Saudi Aramco plans to hold an initial public offering to diversify the national's oil-dependent economy away from being too dependent upon oil

- Total wants 20% of its total energy output to be low-carbon by 2035

- Statoil is investing in offshore wind with up to 20% of its capital into renewable and lower carbon technologies by 2030 

Big Oil - Big investments in renewable and Big profit at the very end. 

Definitely know whose NOT the greenest: Chevron's Gorgon LNG project in Australia has been trying to store carbon dioxide in a $2.5-billion project that would put the CO2 under Pilbara's Barrow Island. So far, not so good--reports say it could end up actually releasing more than 5 million tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere over the next two years. Ooops!

20 hours ago, Carlsbad said:

Definitely know whose NOT the greenest: Chevron's Gorgon LNG project in Australia has been trying to store carbon dioxide in a $2.5-billion project that would put the CO2 under Pilbara's Barrow Island. So far, not so good--reports say it could end up actually releasing more than 5 million tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere over the next two years. Ooops!

I have no idea where Pilbara's Barrow Island is, and don't feel like googling it. Is it anywhere near me? If not, I say it sounds like a pretty good hidey hole for CO2 to me. 

On a more serious note, I thought LNG was supposed to be greener? 

Not sure how much of a 'hidey hole' it will be when we're talking about 5 million tons of CO2.