Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LB

Trump's Negotiation Strategy: Watch This with China ...

Hi all, new to the forum, but enjoy all the political insight as we navigate the world of Trump negotiations and try to figure out how the market will respond. So today, as my first post, I want to point out that Trump's negotiating strategy has a clear pattern, and that becomes even clearer when you consider this latest news (of course in the form of a Tweet): After attacking China's ZTE Corp, Trump is now suggesting there might be a softer resolution after his ban of sales to this tech giant; in other words "a way to get back into business". 

Someone has already pointed out in this forum that he brings these issues (think Iran, China) to a boiling point so that he has more room to negotiate, and then he starts bringing it down when he gets what he wants, or in order to get what he wants. So maybe we shouldn't be so worried about Iran, or the trade war. 

• Upvote 1

How does this make any sense? ZTE violates some laws regarding sanctions because they traded with Iran and North Korea and now Trumps wants to step in an relax the "penalty" because he feels they have been harmed and jobs lost in China. I didn't attend Wharton but I am lost

Everything he does is transactional. It is sad when US President make a move I ask myself "What is in this for Trump?" 

1 minute ago, Cokiga Damke said:

Everything he does is transactional. It is sad when US President make a move I ask myself "What is in this for Trump?" 

He has no actual guiding principles, no strategy.  He is making it up as he goes along.

Trumps is probably pleasing China before the negotiations with N. Korea.