First Memory Transplant... between Snails

Scientists have injected RNA from a trained snail into an untrained one and it had displayed trained behavior. Scary or promising? Or both? Also, if I remember my psychology correctly, there isn't one single unified memory, so how important is this in fact?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like it could be useful, but not at this stage. If it could be implemented on humans, it would be great to know what kind of possibilities could it have to treat people with dementia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2018 at 5:26 AM, Marina Schwarz said:

Scientists have injected RNA from a trained snail into an untrained one and it had displayed trained behavior. Scary or promising? Or both? Also, if I remember my psychology correctly, there isn't one single unified memory, so how important is this in fact?

Sounds like a movie. I can see it now. A movie in which certain people could pay to have memories transplanted from others, who for example went to college or who have worked in a particular field. At 18, you could buy the memories of someone who had went to school for 8 years to become a doctor, for example. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've just described a very plausible plot line for a Black Mirror episode. You might want to protect your intellectual property or I'll steal it.

 

16 hours ago, Sofia said:

It sounds like it could be useful, but not at this stage. If it could be implemented on humans, it would be great to know what kind of possibilities could it have to treat people with dementia. 

Now this would be a really great breakthrough! My dad had dementia. It's Hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

You've just described a very plausible plot line for a Black Mirror episode. You might want to protect your intellectual property or I'll steal it.

 

Now this would be a really great breakthrough! My dad had dementia. It's Hell.

Steal away! Sorry to hear about your dad :( 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0