53 minutes ago, Rob Kramer said:

As soon as the government loses 30% of road tax to electricity

Your posts harp on the government revenues over and over. Increasingly major highways in the US have tolls (particularly new ones). Look at the maps around Austin, Texas or Orlando, Florida, for example. Also look up the London UK 'congestion charge'.

Energy taxes are 'convenient' which is why they're common - everyone uses fuel and pumps are easy to regulate. With license plate readers at every street intersection and all kinds of traffic management software, there is nothing to prevent governments from taxing automobile use, at least in heavily traveled routes and areas (cities and major highways). This might be an interesting problem in Alberta, given how thinly much of it is populated (4 million in an area the size of Texas, OK, KS, NB, SD, and ND combined).

Generally governments figure out some way to tax consumption. If taxing gasoline no longer works, they'll figure out something else.

1 minute ago, Meredith Poor said:

Your posts harp on the government revenues over and over. Increasingly major highways in the US have tolls (particularly new ones). Look at the maps around Austin, Texas or Orlando, Florida, for example. Also look up the London UK 'congestion charge'.

Energy taxes are 'convenient' which is why they're common - everyone uses fuel and pumps are easy to regulate. With license plate readers at every street intersection and all kinds of traffic management software, there is nothing to prevent governments from taxing automobile use, at least in heavily traveled routes and areas (cities and major highways). This might be an interesting problem in Alberta, given how thinly much of it is populated (4 million in an area the size of Texas, OK, KS, NB, SD, and ND combined).

Generally governments figure out some way to tax consumption. If taxing gasoline no longer works, they'll figure out something else.

I totally agree that's why electric advantage loses. The 30% isnt how much they lose but when they convert methods of taxation. 

1 hour ago, Rob Kramer said:

ICE vehicles come off the road for tons of reasons fuel costs and engine failure are not #1.

A lot of vehicles are damaged standing still, either from flooding, fire, or being crushed by a tree. Others get bashed up in wrecks. Plenty of YouTubers love to make movies of cars sliding down icy hills or spinning out on ice on freeways. I had a Subaru with 220,000 miles on it, we gave up on it when it started leaking - we never figured out whether it was the oil, radiator, transmission, or brakes. Since EVs don't have oil, coolant, or transmission fluid, these are non-issues. Even the braking is backed up by the 'motor/generator' drive train.

Some cars 'aren't worth fixing' over things like body damage, paint, the condition of the windows, or that the only thing left of the seats are the bare springs. There are 'running cars' no one is willing to drive since they are such an embarrassment. There is only so much market for 70's era VW 'transporters'.

1 hour ago, Rob Kramer said:

Hybrids have been around since 2001? Prius..... howmany vehicles are hybrid . It's been more than 3- 5 years. Just because one company can fix a prius cheap doesn't mean it applies to all cars everywhere.

Priuses date from about 2004. I remember taking my girlfriend at the time to test drive one, she complained it was too much 'George Jetson'. The Green Bean Battery people focus on older models, those where there are plenty of spare battery packs for reconditioning.

(edited)

33 minutes ago, Meredith Poor said:

A lot of vehicles are damaged standing still, either from flooding, fire, or being crushed by a tree. Others get bashed up in wrecks. Plenty of YouTubers love to make movies of cars sliding down icy hills or spinning out on ice on freeways. I had a Subaru with 220,000 miles on it, we gave up on it when it started leaking - we never figured out whether it was the oil, radiator, transmission, or brakes. Since EVs don't have oil, coolant, or transmission fluid, these are non-issues. Even the braking is backed up by the 'motor/generator' drive train.

Some cars 'aren't worth fixing' over things like body damage, paint, the condition of the windows, or that the only thing left of the seats are the bare springs. There are 'running cars' no one is willing to drive since they are such an embarrassment. There is only so much market for 70's era VW 'transporters'.

They have coolant.  A more complex brake system that is more likely to seize since it is hardly used. And they have a transmission (more like a differential) with a final drive so it has to be lubricated. (I'm not sure about tesla are they 1 motor per wheel? ) . But that's my point you've named so many ways a car go to the scrap yard. I'm saying it will be no different with electric cars. Generally 15 years of road life . It's not an advantage or disadvantage.  

I'm still trying to say when fuel gets 60c/L knocked off of it because they change to toll systems or km based tax why would I buy electric?

I get some people are going to like it . Some want the newest technology.  But for the majority ICE is just fine. And that's why there gonna be majority of vehicles on the road till at least 2040. 

Another thing people dont realize is that repairs are a huge income source so to say EV doesnt need repair is to say they'll get your money another way. They are income based at the end of the day. That's why they still use those crappy lead acid batterys. They love to sell them 350$ installed for a 10$ part and 10$ of shipping fees.

Edited by Rob Kramer

I'm not an expert but an observant about certain things sometimes..........Regarding charging battery, i noticed something with a series charger...... there were two components being charged at the same time, one produced resistance over the other.......... the one at the further end was charged particularly slow........... ages past and still, nothing significant done on the charge.......

Not sure if I mentioned this somewhere....... in a demonstration, a capacitor was shown. It functioned as temporary storage of energy. According to the theory, whatever went in, went out. Zero energy left in  it. Somehow, the capacitor was heated up..... A question  was raised........ The answer mentioned was impurity in it.... Phone battery heated up with app usages. Would car battery heated up the same way? If yes, then, the capacity would certainly change over time? 50% reduction in a few years might be norm in the modern world?

Electric car was first invented more than 60 or 70 years back?? There might be a reason why it was not popular. Until the problems are properly addressed, there might be a need to take the transition progressively, instead of abruptly?? Pushing one tentative solution for a problem would only create more unforeseeable problems to be solved later, or no?.......... :$

23 hours ago, Rob Kramer said:

Another thing people dont realize is that repairs are a huge income source so to say EV doesnt need repair is to say they'll get your money another way.

I'm not sure who 'they' is. The City of New York bought fleets of hybrids and EVs over a period of years, then calculated the long term costs of owning each. The pure electrics were the cheapest to operate over their entire lifespans. That pretty much means that some repair shops will go out of business if electrics become predominate.

3 hours ago, Meredith Poor said:

I'm not sure who 'they' is. The City of New York bought fleets of hybrids and EVs over a period of years, then calculated the long term costs of owning each. The pure electrics were the cheapest to operate over their entire lifespans. That pretty much means that some repair shops will go out of business if electrics become predominate.

"They" are the companies who want per share income. And being that repairs are part of the business model and sales will be lower same at best then where does this income come from? Your doing "it" again and "it" is comparing a untaxed/less taxed vehicle to a over taxed vehicle.  You yourself said a few posts before the city will change tax forms to recapture the lost tax from no/less fuel sales when vehicles are EV. 1) if there is a hybrid in Ny it will use far less fuel ... recapture of braking energy to use after stop is the entire benefit of hybrid. Also as the motor is large enough to move the vehicle it will be an engine starter also so it can be off at low speed (a regular starter would die turning off every time your at a roll or stop) 2) electric vehicles dont pay tax. And are based off electricity made from cheaper coal, nat gas and nuclear. 

So if you buy 3 vehicles # r $ . 1)gas 40k -40k in fuel (AND TAX) 2)hybrid 50k -20k in fuel(AND TAX) 3)EV 60k -10k fuel (limited tax) .... yes the gas is most expensive.  Now remove 50% of the fuel cost being the tax to equalize the comparison (At least in Canada) and the gasser is same price as hybrid and money saved up front that was un financed or invested at a return. 

(edited)

At least 20% of those 4 billion workers are in charge of making some kind of 'improvement,' whether it is developing a technology, implementing a new technology, improving customer service, finding a new market for an existing product, etc. This equates to 800 million people. I read similar books, I liked "what is the heros journey" (learn more about) and I will say that there is something interesting.

Edited by luismars