Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

What's in a Name?

Sooo, Statoil again and musings on how its competitors don't have "oil" or "gas" in their names. Correct me if I'm wrong but this has not really have any effect on people's sentiments towards these companies. Something in this logic is very wrong. BP may rename itself Baby PugĀ and people will still know it's an oil company. For example.

1 hour ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Sooo, Statoil again and musings on how its competitors don't have "oil" or "gas" in their names. Correct me if I'm wrong but this has not really have any effect on people's sentiments towards these companies. Something in this logic is very wrong. BP may rename itself Baby PugĀ and people will still know it's an oil company. For example.

I disagree. The cynic in me feels that you are giving people too much credit. BP should have changed its name a long time ago. Equinor will eventually go over better, although it will take awhile. Investors will be willing to extend financing to names such as Equinor versus Stat[dirty]oil. In their public filings, anything with the word "oil" in it will stick out like a sore thumb.Ā 

Rebranding is essential. The industry itself has a bad name, and just investing in renewables isn't going to cut it.Ā 

something to do with "energy' would seem somehow appropriate though.Ā 

• Like 1

And resources, don't forget resources. Noble Energy and Continental Resources.

@RodentĀ IĀ try hard to be, um, optimistic but part of me has to agree with the cynic in you.

Ā This from Stat--, sorry Horsenor re accusations from Greenpeace about greenwashing:

ā€œWe will continue to produce oil and gas with ever lower emissions, while building an industrial position within renewable energy. Our offshore wind projects are on track to deliver renewable energy to one million european families, and we expect to invest around 12 bn USD in renewable energy towards 2030."

• Upvote 1