Jay McKinsey

Consumer Reports Confirms EV Owners Spend Half As Much On Maintenance

Do you have a link to the criteria used?

2 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Do you have a link to the criteria used?

the report is linked in the article

In other words, the police have a blatantly corrupt deal with some dealership for phantom maintenance on the Charger for which they are getting charged and they do not have this corrupt dealership deal with the TESLA vehicle. 

There is no maintenance required in first 100,000 miles other than 4 oil changes and one brake job. That is ~$400

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

In other words, the police have a blatantly corrupt deal with some dealership for phantom maintenance on the Charger for which they are getting charged and they do not have this corrupt dealership deal with the TESLA vehicle. 

There is no maintenance required in first 100,000 miles other than 4 oil changes and one brake job. That is ~$400

100,000 miles divided by 500 miles per day = 200 days. How long is a police car kept in service?

Police cars don't spend their workdays sitting in office building parking lots.

• Rolling Eye 1

2 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

See Tesla Model 3 Police Car Savings Over 1 Year Vs Dodge Charger

The first year has brought more than $6,750 in savings, almost matching the initial price difference compared to a Dodge Charger.

external_image

https://insideevs.com/news/446583/tesla-model-3-police-savings-1-year/

A question again if I may. Is electric energy really that low...cost per mile seems clearly crazy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

I understand thoughts here, one thing that needs to be understood, hybrid/EVS have fewer engine components and what components they do have are built to a much higher std. 

There is far more to this CR report however. I can tell you it is not a report but opinion. Let's dig deeper...A side note here...cabbies have long known hybrids pencil out way ahead of gas vehicles

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

A question again if I may. Is electric energy really that low...cost per mile seems clearly crazy.

Bargersville is about .10 per kwh. 4 miles per kwh = $1 per 40 miles. $60 per month = 2400 miles per month. 

For clarification, the maintenance costs in the vehicle savings chart were reportedly tires, a water pump, headlights, fuel pumps, and oil changes. https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-bargersville-police-fuel-maintenance-savings/

2 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Bargersville is about .10 per kwh. 4 miles per kwh = $1 per 40 miles. $60 per month = 2400 miles per month. 

For clarification, the maintenance costs in the vehicle savings chart were reportedly tires, a water pump, headlights, fuel pumps, and oil changes. https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-bargersville-police-fuel-maintenance-savings/

Thankyou...as ive stated a few time's. I have 35 yrs in the auto businesses....actually I will take the time to do a cost analysis....now if you would be so kind...are you aware of any federal incentives that are given to a state or local municipalities to acquire a EV?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Thankyou...as ive stated a few time's. I have 35 yrs in the auto businesses....actually I will take the time to do a cost analysis....now if you would be so kind...are you aware of any federal incentives that are given to a state or local municipalities to acquire a EV?

I'd say start with this https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2016/07/f33/Guide to Federal Funding and Financing for PEVs and PEV Charging.pdf  Whether any of this applies to police cars I don't know.

(edited)

11 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

I'd say start with this https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2016/07/f33/Guide to Federal Funding and Financing for PEVs and PEV Charging.pdf  Whether any of this applies to police cars I don't know.

As of now yes state's do realize federal tax credits as do all major fleets

I thought it odd the article stated what they paid..after all a tax credit is not part of the final purchase price or better said " what they paid"

I'm am not against EV tech..

However after 35 yrs in the industry and finance...A slightly misinformed omission of facts is just part of the culture..truth in ownership takes on a whole new dimension.

Hey it's just business after all...

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Like 2

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

As of now yes state's do realize federal tax credits as do all major fleets

I thought it odd the article stated what they paid..after all a tax credit is not part of the purchase price. 

I'm am not against EV tech..

However after 35 yrs in the industry and finance...A slightly misinformed omission of facts is just part of the culture..truth in ownership takes on a whole new dimension.

Hey it's just business after all...

You asked about federal aid for cities and states, that would not include tax credits as cities and states don't pay federal income tax.

A corporate or personal fleet would be eligible for tax credits.

When you say - I thought it odd the article stated what they paid..after all a tax credit is not part of the purchase price. To which article do you refer?

Edited by Jay McKinsey

16 hours ago, Meredith Poor said:

100,000 miles divided by 500 miles per day = 200 days. How long is a police car kept in service?

Police cars don't spend their workdays sitting in office building parking lots.

Where did you get 500 miles per day? Reading further in the thread it seems 2400 miles per month. Why the tires needed to be changed is questionable, and if the Tesla were driven the exact same way its tires would also need to be changed no? 

Police officers respond to how many miles they put on their cars per day. It runs the gamut. Given how little the Tesla gets charged, I'm going with the chief uses it as his personal toy and it doesn't really do anything, while the Dodge is out there chasing bad guys (apparently wearing out tires and crashing into them, needing headlights). That said, those prices were quite high for such minor work, so I'm starting to suspect the entire premise. 

• Like 2

The scientific community has a fetish with all things electric when there's a clear opportunity cost. My predictions about electrochemical ammonia were correct. Thermal systems won, with some plants operating at 24 Mcf per ton anhydrous. 

• Like 1

Just now, KeyboardWarrior said:

The scientific community has a fetish with all things electric when there's a clear opportunity cost. My predictions about electrochemical ammonia were correct. Thermal systems won, with some plants operating at 24 Mcf per ton anhydrous. 

Did you mean to post this comment here? Seems out of place, like it was meant for a power plant thread

Just now, Ward Smith said:

Did you mean to post this comment here? Seems out of place, like it was meant for a power plant thread

I apologize, it would take too long to explain the connection. 

The takeaway here (and I didn't say it) is that a synthetic fuel economy beats the EV economy, but yet everybody is so enamored with the electric vehicle system. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

I apologize, it would take too long to explain the connection. 

The takeaway here (and I didn't say it) is that a synthetic fuel economy beats the EV economy, but yet everybody is so enamored with the electric vehicle system. 

You spoke volumes

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Jay - take another look at the figures you cite. $9,200 in repairs and maintenance for an ICE, really? I bought a new Toyota Corolla about four years ago and its cost nothing like that - about $400 a year in regular servicing or some such. For much older cars well out of warranty you might expect to pay, say, $1,800 in one go, because the engine's been around too long got messed up or some such. Two years later the mechanic might tell you the brake pads have to be replaced. I suspect the $9,200 figure is over a very long life span, and the EV figure does not include the cost of replacing the battery packs. I looked at the link but there is no usable information on just how they compare the types of cars. In any case, you want to hear this sort of of stuff from an independent body. 

• Upvote 3

(edited)

On the tuscon I just sold I bought from the dealership I was working at at that time. Oil change every 6,000km oil filters in bulk 2 to 3 $ delivered. 2L engine held 4.2L oil and Wally world or crappy tire on sale oil at 13$/5L . So 100k Miles is 160,000km. I also bought snow tires from dealership on rims 750$ employee price. So 27 oil changes. 13$/5L=2.6$/L of oil .27×3$= 81$ in filters. 27x 4.2L= 114L×2.6$= 300$ in oil .headlights are 20$ for 2 regular or 60$ for expensive ones.water pump is 80$ but with coolant +20$ and labour 200$ so 300$ total. I had 89,000km and had the winters still 90% and original summers 40% tread but say replace them probably 650$ so just going through easier to argue dealership oil change costs 60$ each.  So total . 750$ winter tires 650$ tire replacement,  300$ water pump and coolant 27x60$= 1620$ oil changes and headlights 120$ = 3440$ add 25% for premium parts? = 4300$ +13% tax =4860$ add alignment just because ... 140$ =5000$ spark plugs ? 24$ ×4 (a charger would be v8 so 8x) let's do charger price after all were looking at upper range of cost. so 8x24= 192$+ 1hr at 108$? So 300# so 5300$ total. What else can we squeak out. I mean we could rebuild the front end but most stuff would have had first set under warranty.  Still fairly cheap. Even add a 700$ 4 wheel break job and fluid flush another 100$ is 6100$ pwr steering is electric.  Serpentine belt? 75$ + half hr install 54$ 140$ so 6240$ and your in a rebuilt car that can go another 80k miles with only oil changes.

Edit trans flush . 290$ so 6530$ total . Rear diff fluid 150$ ... note these are all dealership prices. You could add center or front diff at 150$ each if 4wd. So 450$and almost at 7000$ 

Edited by Rob Kramer
  • Like 1

(edited)

14 minutes ago, Rob Kramer said:

Oil change every 6,000km

Dude, synthetic oil.  Oil change every 20k miles/30k km between oil changes.  Exxon mobil 1 and Royal Purple.  Been doing this for 2 decades now.  Same goes for everyone I know. 

Still need to do the air filter though which most people forget and one big reason for wear on their engines.

Spark plugs? You are getting ripped off.  Haven't done them in over 200,000 miles. Never changed the transmission fluid either. 

Big cost in modern cars is timing belt every 100,000 miles and injectors every ~150,000 miles and I do them individually as I notice fuel mileage decreasing. So this is ~$700, but I did the work myself.  Took a weekend. 

By the way, Electric also have water pumps which fail and power steering/brakes that fail and HVAC which fail, and windshield wipers which fail, and door handles which fail, and electrical systems which fail, safety air bags which fail, and entertainment systems which fail at same rate as ICE. 

Edited by footeab@yahoo.com
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

4 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Dude, synthetic oil.  Oil change every 20k miles/30k km between oil changes.  Exxon mobil 1.  Still need to do the air filter though which most people forget and one big reason for wear on their engines.

Spark plugs? You are getting ripped off.  Haven't done them in over 200,000 miles. 

Big cost in modern cars is timing belt every 100,000 miles and injectors every ~150,000 miles. 

By the way, Electric also have water pumps which fail and power steering/brakes that fail and HVAC which fail, and windshield wipers which fail, and door handles which fail, and electrical systems which fail, and entertainment systems which fail at same rate as ICE. 

Ya I agree I'm making a dealership list more or less. I dont live in a dusty area I've never changed my air filter . Also your spark plugs I'd do them takes no time rock auto the parts at like 6$ and save your 80$/each coil . Also most engines are timing chains now . Lifetime with good oil .

I'm a liscened auto tech . It's like a saftey list or what I'd do if I bought a car at 160,000km 

Edited by Rob Kramer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

You spoke volumes

You agree with the usage of syngas too right? I've seen you comment on that concept a few times. 

7 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Spark plugs? You are getting ripped off.  Haven't done them in over 200,000 miles. 

Just my thoughts / advice on it. As the gap gets bigger more juice is needed to bridge the gap and more heat and wear in the coils. Higher rpm would increase heat and also load (speeding up / hauling) wider throttle allows more air and the higher compression / more fuel needs more oomph. But I mean I've seen coils go at the dealership at 60,000km. Some just last.

19 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

You asked about federal aid for cities and states, that would not include tax credits as cities and states don't pay federal income tax.

A corporate or personal fleet would be eligible for tax credits.

When you say - I thought it odd the article stated what they paid..after all a tax credit is not part of the purchase price. To which article do you refer?

Have a read....https://www.georgetownclimate.org/files/report/Capturing-the-Federal-EV-Tax-Credit-for-Public-Fleets.pdf