Jay McKinsey

Tesla Model 3 Is September's Top Selling Car of All Vehicles in Switzerland

Did you pull the trigger and double down on T stock? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rob Kramer said:

Did you pull the trigger and double down on T stock? 

Haven't bought any in the past few months. But I am looking for a tranche this quarter, particularly if it drops below $400 again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

will you explain the financial incentives for everyone?

Oh sure. Glad you asked. As you know e-cars sales are heavily dependent on government support.

This from a Swiss publication. Switzerland is a collection of different Cantons or states: Since 2019, the canton of Thurgau has been subsidizing the purchase of electric cars to the tune of CHF 4,000, provided they run on green electricity. In St. Gallen there are CHF 5,000 francs on offer and in Basel taxi drivers can even collect a subsidy of CHF 10,000. In addition, there are advantages for electric cars in 15 Swiss cantons when it comes to traffic taxes; the canton of Zurich, for example, has even eliminated them. By the way: As an insurer, Zurich is also promoting electric mobility with significantly lower premiums than comparable vehicles with conventional propulsion systems.

In addition, ICE's have been made more expensive. This from the Swiss newspaper The Local 

Car advocates have warned new laws restricting CO2 emissions, set to come into effect in 2019, may make some car models up to CHF10,000 more expensive in Switzerland. 

Electric cars however may become cheaper under the new restrictions. 

The laws will be on the books from January 1st, 2019 and will require importers to pay fines on cars which omit more than 95 grams of CO2 per kilometre. 

Under the current rules, the relevant limit is 130 grams of CO2. 

The impact will be particularly significant in Switzerland due to the higher use of SUVs, four-wheel drives and other large sports cars, which car advocates say are necessary to traverse the country’s mountainous terrain. 

A few other fun facts I spotted. You have to have a luxury car in Switzerland or you're nobody. Its a rich place. Splurging CHF45,000 (think CHF=USD, its close enough for smaller amounts) on a car is not worthy of comment. That makes it a natural market for Tesla. Lots of nutty high-income types who can afford the luxury of being green. So the country has three Tesla service centers. E-cars, incidentally, make much more sense in Switzerland than they do elsewhere as the place is mainly hydro powered. They might save emissions overall - note, I say "might". 

As usual Jay, I've learnt stuff.. tnks for that..  

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 1

There the Swiss, Pay to be Neutral or too high to legal money!

On 10/6/2020 at 2:10 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

High air pollution in California, London, Paris, China, Pakistan, India, where billions of people live. Many of whom don't travel as far as Americans do. Then there are government mandates, subsidies etc. Natural gas is another player in the clean air vehicle game but gets little attention from the media. It will gain increasing market share form dirty diesel and gasoline if electric vehicles take off. Large vehicles are common users of natural gas worldwide but battery trucks are a dream of the greenies who hate even natural gas because it is a "fossil fuel".  Natural gas will also produce most of the electricity for battery powered vehicles. Actually coal will produce more electricity in Asia unless they choose to REALLY cut their pollution by importing more LNG. 

• Like 3

So is anyone surprised that a rich high subsidy and overtaxed ice area has high EV adoption? Congrats Tesla you picked candy from a baby. Let's all buy stock of our champion! Lol subsidies end competition from better companies will rise because taxation wont stop (they actually need to keep increasing it to replace lost income from subsidies)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 10/6/2020 at 6:46 PM, markslawson said:

Oh sure. Glad you asked. As you know e-cars sales are heavily dependent on government support.

This from a Swiss publication. Switzerland is a collection of different Cantons or states: Since 2019, the canton of Thurgau has been subsidizing the purchase of electric cars to the tune of CHF 4,000, provided they run on green electricity. In St. Gallen there are CHF 5,000 francs on offer and in Basel taxi drivers can even collect a subsidy of CHF 10,000. In addition, there are advantages for electric cars in 15 Swiss cantons when it comes to traffic taxes; the canton of Zurich, for example, has even eliminated them. By the way: As an insurer, Zurich is also promoting electric mobility with significantly lower premiums than comparable vehicles with conventional propulsion systems.

In addition, ICE's have been made more expensive. This from the Swiss newspaper The Local 

Car advocates have warned new laws restricting CO2 emissions, set to come into effect in 2019, may make some car models up to CHF10,000 more expensive in Switzerland. 

The laws will be on the books from January 1st, 2019 and will require importers to pay fines on cars which omit more than 95 grams of CO2 per kilometre. 

The impact will be particularly significant in Switzerland due to the higher use of SUVs, four-wheel drives and other large sports cars, which car advocates say are necessary to traverse the country’s mountainous terrain. 

A few other fun facts I spotted. You have to have a luxury car in Switzerland or you're nobody. Its a rich place. Splurging CHF45,000 (think CHF=USD, its close enough for smaller amounts) on a car is not worthy of comment. That makes it a natural market for Tesla. Lots of nutty high-income types who can afford the luxury of being green. So the country has three Tesla service centers. E-cars, incidentally, make much more sense in Switzerland than they do elsewhere as the place is mainly hydro powered. They might save emissions overall - note, I say "might". 

We lambast EV subsidies, but this is a reasonable strategy for oil importing nations. Which costs more: subsidizing EVs, or securing foreign oil supplies?

The Swiss have made their decision. Given their credentials, I wouldn't criticize them without careful study.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BenFranklin'sSpectacles said:

Which costs more: subsidizing EVs, or securing foreign oil supplies?

The Swiss have made their decision. Given their credentials, I wouldn't criticize them without careful study.

Sorry, but where do you live? You know that the US is now a net oil exporter thanks to the fracking boom? Even before that Canada was a major oil power. I would also strongly disagree that any US foreign action was primarily about oil - as opposed to simply stumbling from one miscalculation to another - or that the Swiss action was due to any calculation about where oil comes from. Swiss policy would be due to pressure from green groups.  

13 hours ago, markslawson said:

Sorry, but where do you live? You know that the US is now a net oil exporter thanks to the fracking boom? Even before that Canada was a major oil power. I would also strongly disagree that any US foreign action was primarily about oil - as opposed to simply stumbling from one miscalculation to another - or that the Swiss action was due to any calculation about where oil comes from. Swiss policy would be due to pressure from green groups.  

Who said we were talking about the US? The question at hand is global oil demand, and that's affected by every oil consuming nation on the planet. Even you used Switzerland as an example, so I presume your sudden focus on the US is an intentional diversion. From this point forward, I'm going to assume you're being intentionally obtuse. My diction will be adjusted accordingly.

How many nations would consider subsidizing EVs to avoid the geopolitical costs of imports? That would be every oil importing nation on the planet, which includes:
1) The entirety of Europe, including Germany, France, Great Britain, Italy, a gaggle of other major consumers, and a gaggle of developing nations.
2) Every SE Asian nation, including China, India, South Korea, Japan, and a gaggle of developing nations.
3) Australia
4) Misc. other countries.
In other words, at least half of oil consumption is in oil importing nations eager to free themselves of geopolitical burdens. Half. It doesn't matter much if the US is a net exporter if half the world doesn't share our good fortune - esp. as the world grows increasingly tired of our meddling. Didn't think that one through, did you?

Are these nations serious about geopolitical risks, or are they consumed by greenies? Having bothered to travel, talk to foreigners, and study their histories, I can assure you they are not like Americans. They do not have low fuel prices. They have not been the world's dominant super power for decades. They have not enjoyed the luxury of imposing their will on other cultures or funding extravagance through deficit spending. In short, they can't afford to be irredeemable f***wits like we've been for decades - and it shows in their decisions.

Do some of them have green streaks? Yes - but there tend to be reasons for that. Germany is green because it developed early and suffered an incredible amount of industrial pollution. They also have 6-8X our population density. The US can dilute pollution away; Germany cannot. Germany is anti-nuclear because they were next door to Chernobyl and would have been the first target in a nuclear war. I think it's time they updated their views, but I'm not ignorant enough to misunderstand their perspective. The same is true of Japan: high population density, extremely limited natural resources, multiple nuclear disasters, etc. No s*** they're wary of destroying their environment. Run down the list of nations going "green", and you'll find similar history and concerns.

What about geopolitical risk? Europe has been beholden to US-secured oil supplies for decades. The common European may only see the green issue, but the politicians are not stupid. They would jump at the chance to free their nations, if only for the increased power and influence they would gain. Having made that decision, how would they sell it to the population?  By claiming it's "green"! Politicians are handlers; it's their job to say whatever gets the desired result. No s*** they're promoting this.

The same is true of China, which has a long history of suffering at the hands of foreigners. Fortunately for Chinese politicians, it's not necessary to promote "green" technologies; their population accepts the idea that foreign dependence is dangerous - probably because of how many millions of them died at the hands of foreigners. Then there's Japan, which has always been painfully aware of their energy poverty. The list goes on. The oil importers view the world through a different history than the US.

Non-Americans also have a wisdom Americans lack. America is a young culture full of piss and vinegar. The oil importing nations are ancient cultures that have seen and suffered everything. They do not share the US's unique brand of shortsighted, self-absorbed ignorance. It shows in their education and decision making.

To your point about Switzerland, I think it's instructive to see how they handled Fukushima. The Japanese were rightly concerned: it happened on their soil. Americans freaked out about barely detectable radiation on the West Coast - a fear response I cannot understand. Meanwhile, the Swiss response was, "We don't have tsunamis in Switzerland." Reasonable. Combing through Swiss history, we find similarly reasonable, measured responses to every threat. We also find strict neutrality even when that causes financial loss. Given what we know about Switzerland, it seems likely they would wean themselves off foreign energy for geopolitical reasons. Their culture and past policy have practically written that decision in stone.

In short, I think you're applying a uniquely American perspective to people who have nothing in common with us. If you'd pulled your head out of your a** long enough to study, that would have been obvious to you.

On 10/6/2020 at 5:46 PM, markslawson said:

Suisse is the financial center of the world, and very expensive to live in and very clean too, yes all the rich types live there, you have to have millions and millions of $$ to be able to buy a good house , not to forget very stringent immigration policies.

Since this is an oil forum, Suisse , also has the largest number of oil and gas trading companies headquartered there, OH MY the SUISSE , are carbon criminals!!!!!

To top it all of , Suisse has the lowest , if not one of the lowest personal and corporate tax structures in the world and also the most guns in the world, the liberals must have strokes and MI's each time they hear that!!!!!

Geneve, here I come!!!

$$$$Capture.JPG

--$$champagnewhite.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

Suisse is the financial center of the world, and very expensive to live in and very clean too, yes all the rich types live there, you have to have millions and millions of $$ to be able to buy a good house , not to forget very stringent immigration policies.

Since this is an oil forum, Suisse , also has the largest number of oil and gas trading companies headquartered there, OH MY the SUISSE , are carbon criminals!!!!!

To top it all of , Suisse has the lowest , if not one of the lowest personal and corporate tax structures in the world and also the most guns in the world, the liberals must have strokes and MI's each time they hear that!!!!!

Geneve, here I come!!!

Don't think Switzerland is the financial center - that's London/New York. It is a major banking center. As for the guns, yes it has a high rate of gun ownership. In part, and I stress in part, this is because part-time military service is compulsory in  Switzerland for all - or all guys at least. However, unlike some American states, you cannot walk around with your firearms. But maybe this is just quibbling.. as for the carbon stuff major coal groups are also have headquarters there.. sounds good.