FM

Two in one: Maduro And Erdogan Wish Each Other Luck Before Respective Elections

Days before facing a controversial re-election in Venezuela, President Nicolas Maduro broadcast a teleconference with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on state television Thursday. Maduro, increasingly isolated, seemed to want to show that he still has allies in the world. The broadcast, which lasted more than half-an-hour, involved vague talk about a free trade agreement and greater cooperation but was mostly an attempted show of force for Maduro who despite overseeing a historic economic collapse, is on the verge of re-election thanks to slanted rules in his favor, an opposition boycott and overall fatigue among voters.Maduro said the May 20 presidential election will offer the world “a lesson in democracy.” Erdogan, who will stand in elections on June 24, said “I have faith that you will be victorious.” Putin is already a finished job, next are these two...

In this case, "elections" is a strong word. I have a hunch they will be "lucky".

• Like 1

Personally i consider Turkey a very strategic country to be allied with but not in this circumstances with such a dubious leader. Turkey is a very geopolitical relevant country for global oil and gas markets. But not in this situation.. 

The suspense is killing me.  Will both dictators be re-elected or not?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hard guess. Can't wait to see the election results. 

• Like 1

Maduro is no panacea for his country. How can the country continue to survive? The next dilemma is the solution? Who or how or how long will it take to start a correction? Is anyone up to the challenge? Next will he be given the time to start the correction?

• Upvote 1

(edited)

The biggest problem with Erdogan fo Europe started after turkish coup  d'etat.  And whole process started many years ago when he as prime minister decided to completely rebuid Ataturk heritage and built a completely new Turkey.

Well  Im not sure wheter USA was really active in this dramatic situation but the main  problem for NATO and USA is Erdogan is very strongly personally sure that this was USA/CIA  which wanted to overthrone  him and objectively USA had some very good reason for that. And the fact that Gullen ideological father of the coup  is safe in USA and USA rejected Turkey cathegoricall demand to extradict him to Turkey I'm sure to execute him after trial doesnt  really help in this situation whatever  the real reason for the rejection was.

I even bigger problem for NATO and Western Europe is the fact that a lot of sources informed us that this was Putin and  famous russian GRU who although Turkey shut russian warplane personally informed him that there will be a coup in Turkey. A lot is still unknown here but some sources informed us that it was not only a matter of political power in Turkey but when Erdogans plain was in the air also a matter of live or death because rebel forces thought that maybe the best option when he was coming back home was to just shot the plane.

I' m interested also in history and I know Turkey and Russia fight in several wars and all except one was won by Russia which is a real father of Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia which were parts of Ottoman Empire  so in historical perspective their all rather hostile enemys and competitors.

But this is something very big if Erdogan is personally convinced that USA wanted to overthrone him and Russia saved his power and maybe even life. Geopolitical interest of Turkey is one thing but there is serious problem in NATO as organization when a dictator is convinced that a leader of NATO wanted to overthrone him and maybe even allowed rebels to kill him. And the fact that USA didnt want to extradict Gulen and all countries of NATO were silent during the coup and as always in this kind of situation waited who will be a winner in Turkey. Its rational decision but surely didnt help Europe in Erdogan eyes becuase he was legitimate president of Turkey.

And I think that's even if it is only gossip not really an ofcfial explanation it can be very well true if we see how Erdogan drastically and very fast after coup change his behaviour to USA, NATO and Russia.For example he clearly said Turkey no longer want to be a member of EC which was Turkey plan for last 40 years and insult a lot of leaders in Europe especially Angela Merkel.

And apart of that it's a very big success for Russia to completely neutralize biggest NATO army in Europe. I would even ask whether Turkey formally still a member of NATO at least during Erdogan rules is  really in western alliance. I'm not saying iti s in alliance with Russia let's say for the time being Turkey is independent freelancer for me.

Edited by Tomasz