Guy Daley

Diesel Inventories - surprise!

I call it harvest consumption.  The general public has no idea of the equipment that is mobilized during harvest.  Once a crop has dried enough it has to be harvested, otherwise bad weather could ruin those plans which is why harvesters have floodlights for harvesting in the dark.  Not only that but all that giant equipment has to be transported to the harvest site by tractor trailer.  There are harvest crews that go up and down the midwest as conditions ripen crops to the point it needs to be harvested - STAT!.  Farmers pretend to be hard workers and are insulted if you don't believe they are, but planting is a leisurely activity, just waiting for the right conditions but harvest in contrast has to be done in a narrow timeframe.  The professional harvest crews work super long hours during a couple month period of the year.  

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/diesel-inventories-done-something-u-190757174.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Thanks Guy!  Interesting stuff.

2 hours ago, Guy Daley said:

I call it harvest consumption.  The general public has no idea of the equipment that is mobilized during harvest.  Once a crop has dried enough it has to be harvested, otherwise bad weather could ruin those plans which is why harvesters have floodlights for harvesting in the dark.  Not only that but all that giant equipment has to be transported to the harvest site by tractor trailer.  There are harvest crews that go up and down the midwest as conditions ripen crops to the point it needs to be harvested - STAT!.  Farmers pretend to be hard workers and are insulted if you don't believe they are, but planting is a leisurely activity, just waiting for the right conditions but harvest in contrast has to be done in a narrow timeframe.  The professional harvest crews work super long hours during a couple month period of the year.  

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/diesel-inventories-done-something-u-190757174.html

You got that right!  When these bad boys hit the fields, more than a little diesel gets consumed.  Used to be my absolute favorite time of the year.  Here's a photo and a video I pulled off the internet that are representative of what happens all over the wide open Midwest:

image.png.021948327accd2733adc510744f63bf8.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Guy Daley said:

Thanks for the link. It reminded me about the jet fuel being blended Into the marine fuel market. Strange times indeed. 

• Like 1