Speaking of lawsuits, Just tonight Steven Crowder got his feed yanked by Facebook. They claimed he hadn't paid the bill, but in fact he had. He lost hundreds of thousands of viewers, on a night he was doing better than CNN! Guess what, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. They won't be able to continue to hide behind FCC part 230. I hope he kicks their ass 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Speaking of lawsuits, Just tonight Steven Crowder got his feed yanked by Facebook. They claimed he hadn't paid the bill, but in fact he had. He lost hundreds of thousands of viewers, on a night he was doing better than CNN! Guess what, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. They won't be able to continue to hide behind FCC part 230. I hope he kicks their ass 

It might be helpful if you tell us who Steven is and why it's a big deal that he got "yanked"?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

It might be helpful if you tell us who Steven is and why it's a big deal that he got "yanked"?

Also why does he pay a bill to Facebook? Sponsored content is garbage content.

He almost certainly has no recourse under the terms he agreed to when bought his advertisement. Facebooks lawyers are smarter than you.

6 hours ago, frankfurter said:

Yes. Was watching him for the election returns based on my son's recommendation. Drinking was involved, but I found him very funny nonetheless. Then suddenly the feed died. When I was able to bring it back up, he was talking about how Facebook yanked them. Facebook will hide behind 230 but I don't think it will work. One of the guys on his show is a lawyer, who had already successfully fought Facebook previously. Now they can point to real, economic harm. 

8 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

They don't know exactly why. I'm confident given the talk of lawsuits, Facebook is going to pretend it was an accident. I'm certain given the time of night and the circumstances it was no accident. Irregardless even if you accidentally get in a car wreck, you still have to pay up. Treble damages if it can be proven that it was purposeful. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 6:55 PM, BLA said:

Is it too late ?

(a) Privacy : Search engines ,  Browsers, email vendors and operating systems should not be able to collect or sell your personal data. Europe and even the state of California have legally established laws prohibiting this without the user opting in.  If the government wants information on a person the have to get a court to approve.  Mandate and make opt in the law.

(b)  Censorship They are corporations not government.  But then should not get the same indemnification as  journalistic entities. Repeal Section 230

They can keep section 230 if they don't censor, or provide groups with self selected moderators they do not control. There are no standards possible for "fact checkers" to refer to. The science changes and progresses and details multiply and knowledge deepens. Political and social matters have absolutely no reference of legitimacy. Considering that Dorsey of Twitter is a Holocaust denier, thus a racist stating his position on live TV in front of congress should make him and his company's social aims suspect and subject to lawsuits for creating a hostile work environment for the victims of the Nazis; Jews, Blacks, Slavic people, Gypsies, communists and liberals. Furthermore, creating a platform where all these will feel harassed by his employees "fact checking" Holocaust comments away, thus shutting off these ethnic groups out from Twitter.

They should also be forbidden from creating any scale measurement rating of individuals and forbidden from publishing such that may inadvertently be formed. Social grading systems such as practiced in China are to be made explicitly illegal.

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2020 at 11:58 PM, frankfurter said:

The platforms in question are corporations, not government. In the absence of any law to the contrary, presumably they have a fundamental right per US law to operate as they see fit. Morally, though, the issue is very murky. Should corporations be socially responsible? To what extent? etc.  How this develops, or not, will be interesting to observe.

Corporations get limited liability and exemptions like section 230 for their business activity and common carrier service to the public, not social drivers to compel ideological precepts. These ideological and social agendas are illegal as discriminatory practices against customers and employees.

In ESG, the very popular "investment" concept today, is a perversion of the observation that the meritocratic selection of staff and the good environmental practices and governance are the result of thoughtful acts of competence and corporate interest. Those result in diverse boards and officers, good environmental records etc... The presumption that adopting these expenses and diversions as a substitute for economic calculation, instead of hiring for competence and merit, and subjugating corporate organizational needs for standardized "good governance" practices, is a classic horse and buggy sequencing issue. The ESG grade was a result of smart action and sophisticated economic calculation. Virtue signaling by adopting these practices does not make any company a better operation, it makes it simply wasteful and drives incompetence. It is a new investment bubble rapidly running through corporate suites and boards, wrecking their decision-making and diverting from economic priorities, making companies less profitable, meaning producing less with more.

The entire virtue signaling nonsense is reeking of what my Grandma told me of communism in Poland and of Ionescu's play "Rhinoceros", a strong anti communist work portraying the social mania and nonsensical behavior of people adopting a corrosive destructive ideology.

• Like 1
  • Rolling Eye 1