Trump announces more sanctions on Venezuela after Maduro Win

Venezuela and PDVSA are really starting to run out of options.  China may as well kiss goodbye the $50 billion it loaned PDVSA.  Russia doesn't particularly want to keep throwing money away either.

Seems to me that international players (state players like China and Russia, and also international oil companies like Conoco) may use international courts to seize PDVSA assets, to recover unpaid debts from PDVSA.

Venezuela is past the point of recovery, in my opinion.  Maduro has turned Venezuela into his own private Zimbabwe, complete with astronomical inflation and the general collapse of society.

@jose chalhoub you have my sympathies, I don't see this ending well for Venezuela or for PDVSA. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed Tom, i dont see a light at the end of the tunnel for Venezuela not now and in the foreseeable future. I know directly how russians think of their investments here since i had the chance of dealing with them in many ways in the oil sector, and they really might get tired of the situation and since the relationship between Washington and Moscow is quite dubious and presumably they have been doing quite a lot of business together, Venezuela might be the subject of a tit for tat negotiation between the 2 White Houses (Moscow and Washington) and lets not say about China either. @Tom Kirkman

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather than blame Maduro, the real cause of the problem lies in the USA sanctions. Just in 2014, Venezuela produced close to 3MBPD. It is foolish to say that Maduro ruined it in 3 years. USA just took advantage of the low oil prices and started causing problems to Venezuela, probably as a revenge for nationalisation of oil companies in the past. Now, it is the USA meddling in Venezuelan economy by sactions and other means that is responsible for venezuela oil production from plummetting.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bhimsen Pachawry said:

Rather than blame Maduro, the real cause of the problem lies in the USA sanctions. Just in 2014, Venezuela produced close to 3MBPD. It is foolish to say that Maduro ruined it in 3 years. USA just took advantage of the low oil prices and started causing problems to Venezuela, probably as a revenge for nationalisation of oil companies in the past. Now, it is the USA meddling in Venezuelan economy by sactions and other means that is responsible for venezuela oil production from plummetting.

lol, k.

 

You can blame the US and the international community for maybe 10% of this problem. The other 90% is caused by Maduro and Chavez.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites