JT

$5 per gallon in Manhattan

Gas prices have reached five dollars per gallon in New York City. One gas station in Manhattan’s Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood listed its gasoline for $4.999 per gallon. National average price for regular gas is $3.10,  but this looks to me like testing the consumers

• Like 1

No. Last winter I saw pair of ripped pants for $1.000. Was just window shopping 

• Like 2

have you seen the roads in NY? Highest taxes in the nation and the worst infrastructure. Looks like a third world country

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joanna said:

Gas prices have reached five dollars per gallon in New York City. One gas station in Manhattan’s Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood listed its gasoline for $4.999 per gallon. National average price for regular gas is $3.10,  but this looks to me like testing the consumers

So I can kiss that extra $1.50 goodbye

America, quit whining about gas prices. UK's current average cost of $9.85. Norwegians will pay $11.54.

that is when you choose to live in a place with high taxes. But you can always brag on Facebook that you tank up in Manhattan 

• Like 1

What was it in 2016? $1.54

With real estate prices in Manhattan, merely owning a gas station must be a loss leader for something else.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Joanna said:

$2.64 in Mississippi!

You do realize, that the Trump president has nothing (or little) to do with gas prices right???

46 minutes ago, Joanna said:

Gas prices always go up before Memorial Day. They change the formulas for summer driving.

1 hour ago, Joanna said:

Most of the cost is taxes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joanna said:

Why would anyone drive there. Uber or something

$3.91 around here for a gallon of premium 

"Summer Travel Plunges Due to Higher Gas Prices, GasBuddy Reveals" - perhaps economy is not as strong as it is pitched to be?...

I hated driving in NYC.  Traffic and parking nightmare.  Took the subway instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomTom said:

$3.91 around here for a gallon of premium 

God bless Costco. And America

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JohnAtronis said:

No. Last winter I saw pair of ripped pants for $1.000. Was just window shopping 

I have feeling that in Hell's Kitchen "hello" is hundred bucks 

• Like 1

So where are the blessings of U.S. shale oil production? This is kinda one of the things that i still like of Venezuela. I fill with 3 dollars almost 3 times my tank of my car... Ironies of world energy life.. 

41 minutes ago, jose chalhoub said:

So where are the blessings of U.S. shale oil production? This is kinda one of the things that i still like of Venezuela. I fill with 3 dollars almost 3 times my tank of my car... Ironies of world energy life.. 

ship some here

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Average profit on a gallon of gasoline is less than a nickle, I believe (in the US). But federal taxes are roughly $0.184 per gallon. State taxes vary, of course, but New York's is $0.2585 per gallon--that's one of the highest rates in the United States. Some cities impose local taxes as well. And yes, after overhead costs such as retail space, land, credit card processing fees, etc, New York gas stations, in 2012, raked in 3 cents per gallon in profit.

Here is an interesting breakdown of gasoline prices at the pump (as of 2012):

Federal tax 18.4¢

State Petroleum Business Tax 17.8¢

State Motor Fuel Excise Tax 

State Petroleum Testing Fee 0.05¢

State Spill tax 0.3¢

State sales tax 

City sales tax in MTA region (4.375%) 16.9¢

TOTAL TAXES: 69.45¢

Refiner 23¢

Delivery 

Gas station 22¢

Oil company $2.88

When gas prices become untenable, people either drive less (or not at all) or jump ship to another state where the cost of living isn't so high (I'm talking to you, California/New York).

1 hour ago, jose chalhoub said:

I think the blessings come not in the form of cheap gasoline, but in the form of security. Most of the monetary blessings from US shale likely goes to the US drillers :) Ultimately, what's good for US drillers is good for the US--but in other forms, not at the pump. It's what makes the world go round.

• Like 1

If you do not like the price of gasoline, buy a Prius, hybrid or ride a bike every once in a while. No one is forcing anyone to drive, we are all mature adults capable of making our own decisions, correct? Or am I wrong? The figure may have been back in 2011, but it does provide perspective as to how cheap gasoline in the U.S is, relative to other countries.europe.jpg.0f51e6998988337eba8d2301f37e4986.jpg

• Like 1

It was $4.79 near Death Valley on 5/22/2018.

• Like 1

Pictures of those prices?  GasBuddy says the highest price is $3.199, way below our prices in sunny Southern California.

• Like 1