gc

oil is dead in the long run

Its dirty is messey it causes wars. I am by no means a top draw trader,i dont sell short, use options etc. WHen i take a position its pretty much for life. Oil is somthing i got into for the divies, dividends. If i would have noticed at the time the oils were treading on thin, thin ice. I got rid of most of the direct  oil co. Kept a few and some infrastrcture. But, when the economy comes back,and it is already doing so, what ill take its place. Batteries ? Electric vehicles? They make up only a fraction of transportation. ICE is still the dominant means of transportation. That means OIL will come back unless it is preemptively cut off by the powers that be.

Fusion is dead in the long run, after the sun burns out and we all freeze in the dark. 4 billion years from now we'll all be in serious trouble.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry this is my first serious post in this forum...are you a thinker do you have some insight. if its potshots your taking SIONARA baby !!

Heavy coal use is about 250 years old. Oil came into large scale use after 1901 (Spindletop). Nuclear power dates from the 1950s. Solar power dates from the 1950s. The only non-animal non-biomass technologies that are more than 1000 years old are wind power and water power.

"WHen i take a position its pretty much for life." Not a good idea under the circumstances.

Stuff will be showing up 'out of left field'. There are no assurances of anything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, greg cason said:

Sorry this is my first serious post in this forum...are you a thinker do you have some insight. if its potshots your taking SIONARA baby !!

MP and I have spared often in this forum he is just using a little levity as I do sometimes.. as for your post oil will indeed be around for a long time. As a form of energy which can be stored and pumped there is nothing to match oil. It is also cheap to extract and refine, and there seems to be no end to it. Just when everyone thought that the OPEC would continue to have a lock on supplies, the US had the fracking boom and Canada started mining its oil sands. It is extremely difficult to see just how hydrogen could ever compete with oil or LNG on cost, but a lot of activists hope that it will. They may continue to hope, the rest of us will get on with using oil. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Meredith Poor said:

Fusion is dead in the long run, after the sun burns out and we all freeze in the dark. 4 billion years from now we'll all be in serious trouble.

No, long before the sun burns out it will have expanded to the point earth will be destroyed.