Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zhong Lu

Look at Stocks and Energy Prices Rise

(edited)

So who here is gonna give credit to the incoming president for it? 

Edited by Zhong Lu

(edited)

Because U.S. government spending will run unchecked, especially with a Democratic Senate, during the Biden administration stocks and precious metals will love it.

Kind of like a drunk wild man...drinking everyday until the liver gives out.

Edited by Tom Nolan
  • Like 1

And how did the government debt and deficit do under the previous Trump administration? 

• Upvote 1

I think government spending with both parties is out of control.

I don't vote.  I have no party affiliation.  I am a Voluntaryist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom Nolan said:

I think government spending with both parties is out of control.

I don't vote.  I have no party affiliation.  I am a Voluntaryist.

Sounds fair to me.  

(edited)

News of the vaccine seemed to push things higher, but in my experience the discussion seems to go like this:

"Trump created an economy that allowed markets to flourish"

Response: "The stock market isn't an accurate reflection of the American economy"

Biden is elected and markets rise concurrently

"The stock market is a great indicator for the health of the American economy!"

Edited by KeyboardWarrior
  • Great Response! 1

Oil or energy prices? Oil - opec + , decline , yes money printing ext. Not really potus. Energy? Supply demand inflation and source. Stonks oil ones via oil price. Others being commodities driven many on speculation.  Its one thing to have a rise after a record quarter /yr another during crazy unemployment.  So context matters. Stocks are long term weighing machines and short term betting devices.

(edited)

30 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

News of the vaccine seemed to push things higher, but in my experience the discussion seems to go like this:

"Trump created an economy that allowed markets to flourish"

Response: "The stock market isn't an accurate reflection of the American economy"

Biden is elected and markets rise concurrently

"The stock market is a great indicator for the health of the American economy!"

Nah, it's more of the other way around:

When stocks rise under Trump, it's because of his great economic leadership.  At least according to a lot of the commentators on this forum.

When stocks rise under Biden, it's because he's printing money.  

So if stocks increase 50% under Biden does this mean we're living in the great economic era of the history of the United States? 

Edited by Zhong Lu
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Rob Kramer said:

Oil or energy prices? Oil - opec + , decline , yes money printing ext. Not really potus. Energy? Supply demand inflation and source. Stonks oil ones via oil price. Others being commodities driven many on speculation.  Its one thing to have a rise after a record quarter /yr another during crazy unemployment.  So context matters. Stocks are long term weighing machines and short term betting devices.

Oh ok.  So the increase in the equity values in the 4 years of Trump is really not on POTUS, is it? 

2 hours ago, Zhong Lu said:

Nah, it's more of the other way around:

When stocks rise under Trump, it's because of his great economic leadership.  At least according to a lot of the commentators on this forum.

When stocks rise under Biden, it's because he's printing money.  

So if stocks increase 50% under Biden does this mean we're living in the great economic era of the history of the United States? 

My position is that stocks are a decent indicator of economic health, but I don't switch my position according to the candidate in charge. 

As far as Biden is concerned, he hasn't done anything yet. Thus, any market response comes from speculation regarding his policies OR the vaccine. Doesn't matter much to me either way. 

Wall Street is also skilled at avoiding taxes, so Biden's new tax policy isn't much of a worry for them anyways 

(edited)

1 hour ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

My position is that stocks are a decent indicator of economic health, but I don't switch my position according to the candidate in charge. 

As far as Biden is concerned, he hasn't done anything yet. Thus, any market response comes from speculation regarding his policies OR the vaccine. Doesn't matter much to me either way. 

Ah I see. And so when the market went up in 2016, was that because of Trump or not? 

Edited by Zhong Lu

4 hours ago, Zhong Lu said:

Ah I see. And so when the market went up in 2016, was that because of Trump or not? 

I don't remember what other factors were at play. I think the same concept applies though. Speculation based on the candidate and not necessarily immediate effects of policy. 

(edited)

7 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

I don't remember what other factors were at play. I think the same concept applies though. Speculation based on the candidate and not necessarily immediate effects of policy. 

Excellent. Glad you agree.  Feel free to tell that to all the "Trump was good for the economy" people who said it back in 2016 when the stock market popped after his election.  

Specifically: the account called "Ward Smith.'  

Edited by Zhong Lu

16 hours ago, Zhong Lu said:

Oh ok.  So the increase in the equity values in the 4 years of Trump is really not on POTUS, is it? 

I'd say not many of them. Sure tax change helped a bunch and mabey some talk helped others. Elon musk and renewable chatter and news ect did alot for some stock and so did some companies doing well from increased consumerism ... that could have happened under any president . I don't know the scale the tax change had but I did see on the untrustworthy news wage increases at a number of businesses around that times so it had an effect (being Canadian and not tracking US market + news + tax laws i can't accurately quantify it) . But another way to look at it is i see alot of people saying the JT effect when talking oil and nat gas stocks in Canada.... and I don't buy it . Theres top much global divestment from the sector to say Justin is scaring away investors single handedly.  A conservative would push the industry more mabey vs not at all (JT) but really the pipeline constraints have been a real issue that JT hasn't directly tried to sabotage.  

Hope that's kinda clear enough way of saying some effect on limited # of business.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-07/oil-market-gears-up-for-9-billion-index-buying-spree

Tens of billions of dollars worth of commodity investments are about to be switched around in a move that’s set to cause a wave of oil-futures buying.  While the move happens every year, crude’s 20% decline in 2020 means that the value of oil index investments has been far below its target for months. As a result, as much as $9 billion of oil contracts could be purchased over the five days of re-balancing that start Friday, according to Citigroup Inc., at a time when the market is already surged to 10-month highs.

23 hours ago, Zhong Lu said:

So who here is gonna give credit to the incoming president for it? 

Why don't you just state your opinion?

BTW - What did Biden do to make either equities or energy prices rise??

If your opinion is it's Biden's incoming policies then in your opinion Biden gets the credit.
That's very logical.
But shouldn't this thought process apply to Nov 2016 as well??  And Nov 2012??  And 1976??  

• Like 1

(edited)

On 1/7/2021 at 12:10 PM, Bob D said:

Why don't you just state your opinion?

BTW - What did Biden do to make either equities or energy prices rise??

If your opinion is it's Biden's incoming policies then in your opinion Biden gets the credit.
That's very logical.
But shouldn't this thought process apply to Nov 2016 as well??  And Nov 2012??  And 1976??  

I'm just pointing out the double standards here.  Stock rise in 2016: "It was because of Trump, herpy derp."

Stocks rise in 2020: "Nope.  Not Biden's responsibility at all."  

This forum in a nutshell.

So if the markets rise another 20-30% in the next 2-3 years, are you guys gonna be crowing about the wonderful economic accomplishments of the sitting POTUS? 

Edited by Zhong Lu
  • Great Response! 1

On 1/6/2021 at 3:04 PM, Zhong Lu said:

Poor Obama doesn’t get any credit for the largest expansion of oil and nat gas  production in US history. And Trump killed demand on his watch. But no, presidents have no affect unless red and getting fed. 

Three Republican presidents in a row left with shattered economies. After Biden there will be three Democratic presidents who failed to revive those economies fast enough. It’s written in stone.

• Upvote 1