DR

Tonight Twitter took down Trump's personal account permanently. Trump responded on the POTUS account.

Recommended Posts

Surprisingly, perhaps in an attempt to remain relevant(?), the ACLU has weighed in on the issue:

ACLU Warns of ‘Unchecked Power’ After Facebook, Twitter Suspend Trump

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) on Friday warned that the suspension of President Donald Trump’s social media accounts wielded “unchecked power” by large tech companies.

Kate Ruane, a senior legislative counsel at the ACLU, said in a statement that Twitter’s decision to suspend Trump from social media sets a precedent for tech companies to silence voices.

(more at the link)

Some of the comments next to that article are worth showing:

image.png.8e72ba168eaac5eeb8be8ca907163a2a.png

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

4 hours ago, 0R0 said:

It was not an incitement. I saw the tweets and viewed his speech. The tech oligarchs and the Dems are clutching at straws. They are acting in bad faith and have been doing so at an increasing pace for years. They are essentially unified into the Dem party and must be regulated as political organizations. 

Article :

Rep Nunes (R) " This is clearly a violation of antitrust, civil rights, the RICO statute "

During this week’s broadcast of FNC’s “Sunday Morning Futures,” Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA), the ranking Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, called on the Department of Justice to launch an investigation into tech companies’ efforts to remove Parler as a platform from the internet.

The California Republican cited violations of antitrust laws, civil rights and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

“Well, Maria, when I wrote that book, I was hoping to warn Americans so that they would vote right and that maybe this wouldn’t happen and this could be prevented,” he said. “Unfortunately, it’s far worse than what I could even imagine. The effect of this is that there is no longer a free and open social media company or site for any American to get on any longer, because these big companies, Apple, Amazon, Google, they have just destroyed a — what was likely — Parler is likely a billion-dollar company. Poof, it’s gone. But it’s more than just the financial aspect to that. Republicans have no way to communicate. If — and it doesn’t even matter if you’re a Republican or conservative.”

“If you don’t want to be regulated by left-wingers that are at Twitter and Facebook and Instagram, where you get shadowbanned, nobody gets to see you — nobody gets to see you, they get to decide what’s violent or not violent, it’s preposterous,” Nunes continued. “So, I don’t know where the hell the Department of Justice is at right now or the FBI. This is clearly a violation of antitrust, civil rights, the RICO statute. There should be a racketeering investigation on all the people that coordinated this attack on not only a company but on all of those like us, like me, like you, Maria. I have 3 million followers on Parler. Tonight, I will no longer be able to communicate with those people. And they’re Americans.”

Edited by Roch
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Symmetry said:

I'm pretty sure internet service providers are already regulated as essential utilities.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Net neutrality regulated ISPs as essential utilities. The rollback of net neutrality under the Trump administration undid that.

  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Surprisingly, perhaps in an attempt to remain relevant(?), the ACLU has weighed in on the issue:

ACLU Warns of ‘Unchecked Power’ After Facebook, Twitter Suspend Trump

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) on Friday warned that the suspension of President Donald Trump’s social media accounts wielded “unchecked power” by large tech companies.

Kate Ruane, a senior legislative counsel at the ACLU, said in a statement that Twitter’s decision to suspend Trump from social media sets a precedent for tech companies to silence voices.

This is what the ACLU has always been about. It has always fought for civil rights, particularly freedom of speech, and would definitely take a dim view of Twitter suspending Trump's social media accounts.

What precedent does this set, though? Trump had already been violating Twitter's terms of service for years. If the precedent is that Twitter followed its own terms of service that would probably be fine, so long as those terms of service weren't overly biased. If the precedent set is that Twitter suspended someone they don't like then Twitter could/should be taken to court. They, of course, would use the pre-existing Christian Bakery case as part of their defense.

In either case, both would make for some interesting court proceedings, and I'm sure we'll see all of this in court very soon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was no election fraud. EACH state is responsible for THEIR voting system. The ones in question are REPUBLICAN run. I have worked the polls. These people are SERIOUS about voter integrity. There were recounts and recounts. 60 cases sent to courts. If you LIE in court by showing false evidence, you go to jail. Therefore, they did not lie in court. And so there was NO FRAUD. CALL your COUNTY Board of Elections. Talk to the people in your COUNTY. They are IN CHARGE of the process. Get involved and work the polls so you understand our democracy. There was NO election fraud. NONE. 

  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marriott: Suspend donations to Republicans who voted against Biden in response to Wednesday.  (“The company’s PAC has donated $108,500 to Democrats and $89,500 to Republicans in the 2019-2020 federal election cycle, according to OpenSecrets.)

Blue Cross: Suspend donations to Republicans who voted against Biden in response to Wednesday. (“BLUEPAC political action committee -- supported only by employee contributions -- donated $246,750 to Republican lawmakers during the 2020 cycle”)

Shopify: Has taken offline stores run by Trump’s business and campaign Stripe: Will no longer process payments for Trump’s campaign website.

PayPal: Shut down an account raising funds for Trump supporters who traveled to Washington, DC

 

People who broke into the Capitol Wednesday are now learning they are on No-Fly lists pending the full investigation. They are not happy about this.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Markets are magic, right? Major Companies Begin Suspending Donations To Republicans Involved In Biden Certification Challenge https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/01/10/major-companies-begin-suspending-donations-to-republicans-involved-in-biden-certification-challenge/?sh=51cea825cf69

U.S. NATIONAL PARK SERVICE SAYS CLOSES WASHINGTON MONUMENT THROUGH JAN 24 DUE TO SAFETY CONCERNS FROM THREATS BY GROUPS INVOLVED IN CAPITOL RIOT TO DISRUPT BIDEN INAUGURATION

 
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, the reason I am on this list is to learn and understand ENERGY prices, not just oil. I found a stock I really liked and invested a small amount to just see. It went up 104% in just a few months !!!!! My Royal Dutch Shell is not doing so well. They WERE going to go with more alternatives and the board chickened out. ugh!

Security Quantity  PurchaseCost  PurchasePrice  MarketValue  MarketPrice  UnrealizedGainLoss  UnrealizedGainLossPercent
EOSE 208 $2,997.22 $14.41 $6,123.62 $29.44 $3,126.40 104.31%
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

On 1/11/2021 at 10:53 AM, Vivian Fulk said:

There was no election fraud. EACH state is responsible for THEIR voting system. The ones in question are REPUBLICAN run. I have worked the polls. These people are SERIOUS about voter integrity. There were recounts and recounts. 60 cases sent to courts. If you LIE in court by showing false evidence, you go to jail. Therefore, they did not lie in court. And so there was NO FRAUD. CALL your COUNTY Board of Elections. Talk to the people in your COUNTY. They are IN CHARGE of the process. Get involved and work the polls so you understand our democracy. There was NO election fraud. NONE. 

Hi Vivian

In which city did you monitor the polls ? Phoenix ? Milwaukee ? Minneapolis ? Detroit ? Philadelphia ? Atlanta ? 

If you recount votes that have (1) no signature, (2)  unverified signature (3) were delivered after the legal deadline or (4) had no chain of custody is that a fair audit of Election Integrity ?

 

Edited by Roch
  • Like 2
  • Great Response! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

43 minutes ago, Roch said:

Hi Vivian

In which city did you monitor the polls ? Milwaukee ? Detroit ? Philadelphia ? Atlanta ? 

If you recount votes that have (1) no signature, (2)  unverified signature (3) were delivered after the legal deadline or (4) had no chain of custody is that a fair audit of Election Integrity ?

 

I live in a very small town in NC. I voted by mail. My father-in-law at the time was sick with lung cancer so we wanted to be safe. He died Christmas weekend. 

I am also a computer programmer so was fascinated by the mail in voting process itself.

1) Each ballot had a hand written code on it. We were given a website from our BOE to monitor where in the process our ballot was BASED ON THAT CODE. 

2) I personally know everyone at our BOE. The are Republican and are proud of the checks and balances created. It is similar at each BOE in NC.

3) I checked the status daily. It registered the date it left the BOE. It even registered when it arrived at the post office. Then when we sent it to the post office and it arrived there then arrived at BOE. Then when it was recorded at the BOE. It took 3 weeks for this process to complete. I was impressed with all these checks and balances.  

4) I am also an elected official in my county. I am a precinct chair. So I have access to NC Vote Builder. It is the database the State BOE uses. I could see when my vote was registered. It matched the local BOE date. It does not show HOW I voted.  But shows that I did vote. It has recordings of every election I have EVERY voted in NC. Again, it does not show HOW I voted, but where I voted, and does show affiliation.  

5) These people are meticulous. They are solemn in their work. 

These elections were audited by their county BOEs and the state BOE and NO FRAUD WAS FOUND. There were mistakes. That is bound to happen. We are humans. But nothing like what is being lied about. Stop the lies. Please.  

Edited by Vivian Fulk
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

3 hours ago, Vivian Fulk said:

I live in a very small town in NC. I voted by mail. My father-in-law at the time was sick with lung cancer so we wanted to be safe. He died Christmas weekend. 

I am also a computer programmer so was fascinated by the mail in voting process itself.

1) Each ballot had a hand written code on it. We were given a website from our BOE to monitor where in the process our ballot was BASED ON THAT CODE. 

2) I personally know everyone at our BOE. The are Republican and are proud of the checks and balances created. It is similar at each BOE in NC.

3) I checked the status daily. It registered the date it left the BOE. It even registered when it arrived at the post office. Then when we sent it to the post office and it arrived there then arrived at BOE. Then when it was recorded at the BOE. It took 3 weeks for this process to complete. I was impressed with all these checks and balances.  

4) I am also an elected official in my county. I am a precinct chair. So I have access to NC Vote Builder. It is the database the State BOE uses. I could see when my vote was registered. It matched the local BOE date. It does not show HOW I voted.  But shows that I did vote. It has recordings of every election I have EVERY voted in NC. Again, it does not show HOW I voted, but where I voted, and does show affiliation.  

5) These people are meticulous. They are solemn in their work. 

These elections were audited by their county BOEs and the state BOE and NO FRAUD WAS FOUND. There were mistakes. That is bound to happen. We are humans. But nothing like what is being lied about. Stop the lies. Please.  

I agree .  No Fraud found in North Carolina.

Unfortunately , the Democrats flooded five swing states  with over three hundred lawsuits and changed the election process laws thru the courts when the Constitution stipulates on the State Legislature can establish or change election law.   These key states did not have anything close to the system you experienced in NC.

Edited by Roch
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Roch said:

I agree .  No Fraud found in North Carolina.

Unfortunately , the Democrats flooded five swing states  with over three hundred lawsuits and changed the electrical room law.  These key states did not have anything close to the system you experienced in NC.

Yes they do. AS I see it, if you knew your local system from the ground up, you would know it was not fraudulent. Show me the 300 lawsuit results? You can not because they HAVE NO PROOF.  Show the proof. You have been lied to. I am sorry but that is the truth. Try to look at it from the PROOF from those court cases. PROVE IT. You can not.

FIVE PEOPLE DIED BECAUSE OF A LIE.

  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Geoff Guenther said:

This is what the ACLU has always been about. It has always fought for civil rights, particularly freedom of speech, and would definitely take a dim view of Twitter suspending Trump's social media accounts.

What precedent does this set, though? Trump had already been violating Twitter's terms of service for years. If the precedent is that Twitter followed its own terms of service that would probably be fine, so long as those terms of service weren't overly biased. If the precedent set is that Twitter suspended someone they don't like then Twitter could/should be taken to court. They, of course, would use the pre-existing Christian Bakery case as part of their defense.

In either case, both would make for some interesting court proceedings, and I'm sure we'll see all of this in court very soon.

That should be fun.  Maybe Parler will hire Lin Wood and Rudy G. - they did such an amazing job for Trump and, besides, Rudy's going to need a job in a week or so.  There are hundreds of other ISP's Parler can use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gregory1972 said:

  There are hundreds of other ISP's Parler can use.

 

I can't think of hundreds of ISPs.  Communications tend to be a very monopolistic with very few, but huge players.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in a few years, every serious country will have its online platforms.

Today, even former senator Ron Paul was banned on Facebook.

They remove political incorrect commentators not only in America but even right-wing commentators in peripheral Poland.

The Chinese have their own internet platforms. The Russians have a vkontakte which is sometimes better than Facebook.

In a few years each major power will have its own social networks and then 2 internet web will be created - one Western and the other Russian-Chinese. In my opinion, in about 5 years.

For the time being I suggest reading https://www.amazon.com/Surveillance-Valley-Military-History-Internet/dp/1610398025

51dRgDh9NKL._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Vivian Fulk said:

I live in a very small town in NC. I voted by mail. My father-in-law at the time was sick with lung cancer so we wanted to be safe. He died Christmas weekend. 

I am also a computer programmer so was fascinated by the mail in voting process itself.

1) Each ballot had a hand written code on it. We were given a website from our BOE to monitor where in the process our ballot was BASED ON THAT CODE. 

2) I personally know everyone at our BOE. The are Republican and are proud of the checks and balances created. It is similar at each BOE in NC.

3) I checked the status daily. It registered the date it left the BOE. It even registered when it arrived at the post office. Then when we sent it to the post office and it arrived there then arrived at BOE. Then when it was recorded at the BOE. It took 3 weeks for this process to complete. I was impressed with all these checks and balances.  

4) I am also an elected official in my county. I am a precinct chair. So I have access to NC Vote Builder. It is the database the State BOE uses. I could see when my vote was registered. It matched the local BOE date. It does not show HOW I voted.  But shows that I did vote. It has recordings of every election I have EVERY voted in NC. Again, it does not show HOW I voted, but where I voted, and does show affiliation.  

5) These people are meticulous. They are solemn in their work. 

These elections were audited by their county BOEs and the state BOE and NO FRAUD WAS FOUND. There were mistakes. That is bound to happen. We are humans. But nothing like what is being lied about. Stop the lies. Please.  

Your experience and the tracking are not relevant to the methods used for the Fraud in the Swing states. 

This does not prevent ballot stuffing. It does not prevent bogus voters. It does not prevent electronic manipulation.

it is PART of a good system. But far from sufficient. 

It does not include the signature check. It does not manifest fake voters. It does not affect the balance between the registry and the ballot count. The Swing states show an excess of ballots over vote registrations in the hundreds of thousands. Does NC have a balanced count of ballots and vote registry for this election?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 0R0 said:

Your experience and the tracking are not relevant to the methods used for the Fraud in the Swing states. 

This does not prevent ballot stuffing. It does not prevent bogus voters. It does not prevent electronic manipulation.

it is PART of a good system. But far from sufficient. 

It does not include the signature check. It does not manifest fake voters. It does not affect the balance between the registry and the ballot count. The Swing states show an excess of ballots over vote registrations in the hundreds of thousands. Does NC have a balanced count of ballots and vote registry for this election?

And Vivian forgot that Stacy Abrams and her sister the Judge weren't in NC.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

 

 

Today's (Jan 12th) Rasmussen Poll shows Trump maintains 48% approval rating even after the Capital fiasco of last week. 

THAT'S 48% THAT ADMITTED THEY SUPPORT TRUMP.  What about those that were intimidated and fear retribution that wanted to but didn't say they support him.

I have to believe that's at least another 5% silenced supporters. 

They can't kill (kill politically) the bastard . 

Can't wait till the midterms.  What doesn't kill him makes him stronger.

Pelosi is turning Trump into a martyr. 

 

 

 

Edited by Roch
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2021 at 10:58 AM, Roch said:

Symmetry joined 12 minutes ago.  Where did u come from.

As Trump's recent Twitter stated ,"this isn't the end.  This is just the beginning"

 

Symmetry is another Enthalpic account. He likes the "sciency" sounding names, he thinks it makes him look smart

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

World Leaders Denounce Big Tech Censorship of President Donald Trump

Looks like there are a great many people the world over that value Freedom of Speech like most Americans, and absolutely do NOT agree that Big Tech should have the power of censorship or, essentially, the veto of opposing viewpoints.

Political elites worldwide have criticized big tech companies for banning President Donald Trump from their social media platforms.

At present, the president has been banned from Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Snapchat, Reddit, and Instagram.

Twitter permanently removed Trump’s account, saying that his recent posts were in violation of the “Glorification of Violence Policy.”

German Chancellor Angela Merkel called Twitter’s ban on Trump “problematic,” and said that freedom of opinion is an essential right of “elementary significance,” her spokesperson, Steffen Siebert, said on Jan 11.

“This fundamental right can be intervened in, but according to the law and within the framework defined by legislators—not according to a decision by the management of social media platforms,” Siebert said.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel German Chancellor Angela Merkel answers questions about the German government’s policy at the parliament Bundestag, in Berlin, Germany, on Dec. 16, 2020 (Markus Schreiber/AP Photo).

“Seen from this angle, the chancellor considers it problematic that the accounts of the U.S. president have now been permanently blocked,” he said.

Members of the French government agreed.

Clement Beaune, the junior minister for European Union affairs, said he was “shocked” a private company made this kind of decision.

“This should be decided by citizens, not by a CEO,” he told Bloomberg TV on Monday. “There needs to be public regulation of big online platforms.”

French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire also condemned the move and said that tech giants were part of a digital oligarchy that was a threat to democracy.

Manfred Weber, the leader of the European People’s Party—a centre-right political party—echoed Beaune and called for Big Tech firms to be regulated.

“We cannot leave it to American Big Tech to decide how we can or cannot discuss online. Today’s mechanisms destroy the compromise searching and consensus-building that are crucial in free and democratic societies. We need a stricter regulatory approach,” he wrote on Twitter on Jan. 11.

 

We cannot leave it to American Big Tech to decide how we can or cannot discuss online. Todays mechanisms destroy the compromise searching and consensus building that are crucial in free and democratic societies. We need a stricter regulatory approach. #CapitolHill @POLITICOEurope https://t.co/ouJwTCT5B1

— Manfred Weber (@ManfredWeber) January 11, 2021

Meanwhile, Norway’s left-wing Labor Party leader Jonas Gahr Støre said that Big Tech censorship threatens political freedom around the world.

He said Twitter needs to apply the same standard globally that it did to Trump.

“This is a line where freedom of expression is also at stake,” said Støre. “If Twitter starts with this sort of thing, it means that they have to go around the world and look at other people completely astray, and shut them out.”

Epoch Times Photo Then Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack in Parliament House in Canberra December 16, 2020. (Sam Mooy/Getty Images)

The Australian government has also called the ban on Trump an act of “censorship.”

Acting Prime Minister Michael McCormack said, “There’s been a lot of people who have said and done a lot of things on Twitter previously that haven’t received that sort of condemnation or indeed censorship. I’m not one who believes in that sort of censorship.”

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said he was uncomfortable with Twitter’s ban on Trump. “Those decisions were taken by commercial companies, but personally, I felt uncomfortable with what they did,” he said.

Quoting Voltaire’s famous line: “I may not agree with what you say, but I defend the right to say it,” Frydenberg said that freedom of speech is fundamental to a democratic society.

Fellow Liberal Party member and senator, Alex Antic, said he will push for a Senate Select Committee into Big Tech’s influence and censorship of political ideas when the Australian Parliament resumes next month.

Antic told The Epoch Times on Jan. 12 that he is concerned that Big Tech can so easily censor one side of the debate.

“Our democratic process is founded on our ability to share ideas freely and to be exposed to challenging and opposing viewpoints. It is crucial to the integrity of that process that Big Tech companies do not censor one side of the debate,” Antic said.

Mexican President Manuel López Obrador also echoed his global counterparts, with Reuters reporting that he said it was a bad sign when private companies try to censor opinion.

Obrador said a “court of censorship like an inquisition to manage public opinion.”

“I don’t like anybody being censored or taking away from the right to post a message on Twitter or Face(book),” he said.

In Russia, the opposition leader, Alexey Navalny, who is an outspoken anti-corruption campaigner, said he believed the ban was an unacceptable form of censorship and was based not on a genuine need but rather Twitter’s political preferences.

In a thread posted on the platform on Jan. 10, Navalny said: “Don’t tell me he was banned for violating Twitter rules. I get death threats here every day for many years, and Twitter doesn’t ban anyone.”

Alexei Navalny Russian opposition activist Alexei Navalny gestures while speaking to a crowd during a political protest on in Moscow, on July 20, 2019. (Pavel Golovkin/AP Photo)

He noted that this pattern had been seen before in both Russian and China when big companies utilise their position to become a government best friend and enabler when it comes to state-based censorship laws.

“This precedent will be exploited by the enemies of freedom of speech around the world. In Russia as well. Every time when they need to silence someone, they will say: ‘this is just common practice, even Trump got blocked on Twitter,'” he wrote on Twitter.

  • Great Response! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2021 at 4:46 AM, Geoff Guenther said:

Net neutrality regulated ISPs as essential utilities. The rollback of net neutrality under the Trump administration undid that.

That's not what net neutrality means at all. I built what eventually became a major ISP (tier one) and can tell you that net neutrality specifically deals with ability to adjust traffic flow, it has nothing to do with censoring content, although that was a specious argument used. What "common carriers" wanted to do was charge more for certain traffic types, such as video, which are a bigger burden on their infrastructure than say, email. They were fought by Google et al who were making billions abusing their pipes with YouTube but not sharing the wealth. The "neutral" in net neutrality had to do with the packet types all being equal. Even though it was removed, nothing much came of it because it's a buyer's market for ISP services up to the last mile. 

  • Like 2
  • Great Response! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

 

In total, it is true that large socialmedia corporations show that you do not have to poison or murder dissidents, you just need to cut them off from social networks and YouTube.

Navalny probably  understands it very well as prominent dissident youtube anticurruption activist , but what is really interesting is what a Russian proputin troll noticed on twitter a couple hours ago.

 Just yesterday Navalny was called the leader of the opposition in Russia but after criticizing harshly large corporations ban on Trump and other right wing activist  mass media today  in a few articles mentioning his remarks called him no longer as the opposition leader but only as dissident.

A dissident without social networking sites nowadays is practically non-existent, so large Internet corporations show all autocrats a blooddless solution to their problem. 

Although of course, no one should have any doubts that the freedom of speech in the USA is much greater than in Russia, so such news as today about US users moving to russian Telegram is really a special irony.

https://1prime.ru/telecommunications_and_technologies/20210112/832792607.html?fbclid=IwAR2rBiCiwEgzTZhJ5deeBTIR4UzdmbvHMQJbOv_rdO0-4BjArIBomllQ8uw

Quote

 

Telegram became the second most downloaded application in the United States after supporters of the current American President Donald Trump rushed there, according to the British newspaper Telegraph.

 

According to her, this happened on Sunday after the blocking of Trump's Twitter and Facebook accounts and the shutdown of the social network Parler, which is popular among the president's supporters.

 

The publication writes, citing data from Sensor Tower, that from Wednesday to Sunday, the Telegram application was downloaded in the United States about 545 thousand times, which is almost three times more than in the same period of the previous week. Before its shutdown, the Parler social network itself also published calls to switch to Telegram, the newspaper adds.

It is emphasized that the number of Telegram downloads has also increased due to the new privacy policy of the WhatsApp messenger.

Jen Goldbeck, professor of information research at the University of Maryland, told the publication that Telegram could be a "longer-term home" for Trump supporters than Parler, as it is less likely to be disconnected. If the messenger were only used by far-right groups, she said, “it could give Apple or Google some control over it,” but it is a common messaging application that people use legally.

Telegram founder Pavel Durov did not respond to a British publication's request for comment.

Parler is a messaging app used by Trump supporters. Google has blocked the application from its online store, because "calls to violence appeared on the platform." Apple said that user posts on Parler related to the riots in the US Capitol contained calls for violence, which violates company rules. Amazon later announced that it was also ending its partnership with Parler. The company's cloud service, Amazon Web Services, has disconnected Parler from its hosting.

 

Just to add that it is a bit like rain into the gutter because a year or two ago, the creator of Telegram, Paweł Durow, led a long dispute with the Federal Security Service about the encryption of this application. Finally, it was unblocked on Russian territory and I am very curious what was really agreed upon.

From what I've read, Durov didn't unlock Telgram for the FSB. He insisted and that's it. That is why such worldwide trust is now placed in it. This is the prevailing version, but myself I would also have limited confidence in Telegram.

Edited by Tomasz
  • Like 3
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Tomasz said:

 

In total, it is true that large socialmedia corporations show that you do not have to poison or murder dissidents, you just need to cut them off from social networks and YouTube.

Navalny probably  understands it very well as prominent dissident youtube anticurruption activist , but what is really interesting is what a Russian proputin troll noticed on twitter a couple hours ago.

 Just yesterday Navalny was called the leader of the opposition in Russia but after criticizing harshly large corporations ban on Trump and other right wing activist  mass media today  in a few articles mentioning his remarks called him no longer as the opposition leader but only as dissident.

A dissident without social networking sites nowadays is practically non-existent, so large Internet corporations show all autocrats a blooddless solution to their problem. 

Although of course, no one should have any doubts that the freedom of speech in the USA is much greater than in Russia, so such news as today about US users moving to russian Telegram is really a special irony.

https://1prime.ru/telecommunications_and_technologies/20210112/832792607.html?fbclid=IwAR2rBiCiwEgzTZhJ5deeBTIR4UzdmbvHMQJbOv_rdO0-4BjArIBomllQ8uw

Just to add that it is a bit like rain into the gutter because a year or two ago, the creator of Telegram, Paweł Durow, led a long dispute with the Federal Security Service about the encryption of this application. Finally, it was unblocked on Russian territory and I am very curious what was really agreed upon.

From what I've read, Durov didn't unlock Telgram for the FSB. He insisted and that's it. That is why such worldwide trust is now placed in it. This is the prevailing version, but myself I would also have limited confidence in Telegram.

Remember, the same Apple Corp that refused to unlock a state owned iPhone belonging to the actual terrorist involved in the San Bernardino shooting took Parler off their platform for "potential violence".

I can't wait for the useful eejits here to finally admit that Trump was right all along. I'm not holding my breath though, their cognitive dissonance runs wide and deep. 

  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll just leave this here, I'm also putting it elsewhere because doublespeak like this is comedy gold

A8D47776-93D1-45A6-B9E9-F22B19F0DB48.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Remember, the same Apple Corp that refused to unlock a state owned iPhone belonging to the actual terrorist involved in the San Bernardino shooting took Parler off their platform for "potential violence".

I can't wait for the useful eejits here to finally admit that Trump was right all along. I'm not holding my breath though, their cognitive dissonance runs wide and deep. 

They made a biiiggg deal out of all that, too.  Unbelievable the hypocrisy at play today.  The epitome of high school politics and "do as I say, not as I do" culture that the Left strives for and wishes to foist upon us all each and every day.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.