MP

Parler’s New Partner Has Ties to the Russian Government

Oh noes...it's the Russians

Twitter and Facebook are American and have infringed everyone's freedoms more than any dictatorship you think of!

Parler is run by an American (and/or Jew) 

They had terrible T&C which allowed them to sue their own users for content 

They collected and stored all data even deleted posts

They collected all verification data

They used third party open source software to do the above

They accidentally allowed a massive hack and dump of everything...70 Terabytes of data

They were a honey trap and many people who thought it was safe are going to prison for words on the internet

But sure blame Russia

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, El Nikko said:

Oh noes...it's the Russians

Twitter and Facebook are American and have infringed everyone's freedoms more than any dictatorship you think of!

Parler is run by an American (and/or Jew) 

They had terrible T&C which allowed them to sue their own users for content 

They collected and stored all data even deleted posts

They collected all verification data

They used third party open source software to do the above

They accidentally allowed a massive hack and dump of everything...70 Terabytes of data

They were a honey trap and many people who thought it was safe are going to prison for words on the internet

But sure blame Russia

Where is all this?  Not doubting you, just I haven't seen it in my day to day..

• Like 1

(edited)

It's an interesting experiment, keep in mind these "DDoS" protection companies (which stand for distributed denial of service) are just content distribution networks (CDNs), so I don't fault them for anything. The original purpose of those companies was to buy excess bandwidth from other companies and distribute "expensive" content (like videos) in a geographically closer place when a user sees a page. 

Now, keep in mind that in Russia, by law, any server hosted there has to give the Russian Government the "master key" (see: https://www.gp-digital.org/world-map-of-encryption/). Such a law doesn't exist in the open internet. This is why, for example, the founders of Telegram, which is end to end encrypted, fled Russia. So if you care about end user privacy or the right to encypt communication, you generally don't host a server in Russia. 

In this case, I don't know if the servers are *in Russia* or the country is just based in Russia (which I think is less of a problem). Also what type of encryption.

In the *open* internet, most 2 way communications have been encrypted (for lazy man in the middle snooping) since the Snowden allegations against the NSA (around 2013). But the vulnerabilities in the software out there is *startling*: https://cve.mitre.org/index.html

Edited by surrept33
  • Upvote 1

Because non of US big tech want to host Parlor and it could be the only country that let him host his server under big tech's pressure.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

"But the vulnerabilities in the software out there is *startling*"

Open text before, open text after: an illusion of privacy.

• Like 1

So, dear meredith poor

You first ban the portal Parler from net and then a lot of opponents of the current president on Facebook and twitter, and now you have a grudge against the Russian company that it has made its servers available to Parler.

Then I personally propose to buy and read carefully the following book by Yasha Levine tiitle Surveillance Valley: The Secret Military History of the Internet- average rating on amazon 4.6 / 5

https://www.amazon.com/Surveillance-Valley-Military-History-Internet/dp/1610398025

In this fascinating book, investigative reporter Yasha Levine uncovers the secret origins of the internet, tracing it back to a Pentagon counterinsurgency surveillance project.

A visionary intelligence officer, William Godel, realized that the key to winning the war in Vietnam was not outgunning the enemy, but using new information technology to understand their motives and anticipate their movements. This idea -- using computers to spy on people and groups perceived as a threat, both at home and abroad -- drove ARPA to develop the internet in the 1960s, and continues to be at the heart of the modern internet we all know and use today. As Levine shows, surveillance wasn't something that suddenly appeared on the internet; it was woven into the fabric of the technology.

But this isn't just a story about the NSA or other domestic programs run by the government. As the book spins forward in time, Levine examines the private surveillance business that powers tech-industry giants like Google, Facebook, and Amazon, revealing how these companies spy on their users for profit, all while doing double duty as military and intelligence contractors. Levine shows that the military and Silicon Valley are effectively inseparable: a military-digital complex that permeates everything connected to the internet, even coopting and weaponizing the antigovernment privacy movement that sprang up in the wake of Edward Snowden.

With deep research, skilled storytelling, and provocative arguments, Surveillance Valley will change the way you think about the news -- and the device on which you read it.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Tomasz said:

You first ban the portal Parler from net and then a lot of opponents of the current president on Facebook and twitter, and now you have a grudge against the Russian company that it has made its servers available to Parler.

Why would I believe this post is bought and paid for by Russian 'intelligence' services?

(edited)

2 hours ago, Meredith Poor said:

Why would I believe this post is bought and paid for by Russian 'intelligence' services?

Well, the argument about Russian trolls is a classic ad personam argument. It is used most often when the interlocutor lacks substantive arguments to support his theses. Probably next in line is the ad Hitlerum argument.

For the sake of clarification, I will add that most of these alleged Russian trolls are probably  mostly Russians with national, pro-Putin views. In Russia, there are about 70% of them, so they really have a lot to choose from.

Best example that I can find that Im a nonrepresentative putin troll for example about Ukraine is this picture below. 

Lets see US disaproval in Russia. End of 2013 before Maidan - 30 %. One year after Maidan 80 %.

poll-levada-russia-usa-approval

So maybe your new favourite media star Navalny. What does he really think? He said that Ukraine and Russia is one nation and Crimea case is closed. Why? Because otherwise I think he can get even in fair election lets say maybe 10 % of votes and he really good know this simple fact

The same is true of the alleged Chinese trolls.

If anyone thinks that only Chinese trolls piss off the Western meddling in Hong Kong, even if generally China breaks the Hong Kong agreement, I think and my sister-in-law is a sinologist that there are about lets say 90% of such trolls in China.

My general advice is to read less dissidents of all sorts all over the world that are passionately reported in the Western press because those are the people willing to admit that Ukraine and Belarus should be in NATO and thats in Russia best interest.

And the Chinese dissidents probably can talk all the time that China should withdraw from Hong Kong and Tibet and unconditionally subjugate to the United States.

And then there is always painful blow when you get to know the views of the mainstream in this countries not this dissidents.

It is a bit like always inquiring about America's foreign policy only from Noam Chomski. In my opinion, he is a very wise man, but probably not very representative of the American mainstream, like Tulsi Gabbard, although she even ran in the preelections

Edited by Tomasz
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tomasz said:

So maybe your new favourite Navalny.

This has nothing to do with Parler being hosted by Russian companies.

Russia was invaded by the Mongols in the 13th century.

Crimean–Nogai slave raids in Eastern Europe, 1400's to 1700's.

France (Napoleon) invaded in 1812.

Germany in WW I (I'm not familiar with dates or how far they got)

Germany in WW II.

Have I missed any? What do they teach you in history classes?

• Like 1

(edited)

56 minutes ago, Meredith Poor said:

This has nothing to do with Parler being hosted by Russian companies.

Russia was invaded by the Mongols in the 13th century.

Crimean–Nogai slave raids in Eastern Europe, 1400's to 1700's.

France (Napoleon) invaded in 1812.

Germany in WW I (I'm not familiar with dates or how far they got)

Germany in WW II.

Have I missed any? What do they teach you in history classes?

So you as expected do not really know much about the history of Russia.

Because you have not heard about the Polish invasion of Russia at the beggining of XVII century the so-called dimitriads.

In fact, even 2 dymitriads and the long period of Great Trouble, when the Russian sole statehood  could really very well disappear from the map because Moscow was occupied for more than 2 years a for example, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church starved to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish–Muscovite_War_(1605–1618)

The anniversary of the expulsion of Poles from the Kremlin is now even a national holiday in Russia and the real beginning of Russia's superpower building throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. I think there is a large chapter in every one of the history books about XVII century but you didnt really hear about this.

You have not heard also for example of the invasion of Charles XII on Ukraine and the major Battle of Poltava, which shapes the image of this part of Europe to this day.

Charles XII was also the first ruler who decided to use the Kozaks now Ukrainians of Hetman Mazepa, the former loyal supporter of Peter the Great, against Russia, which may explain for the first time Russia's special interest in Ukraine.

After him, similar maneuvers were used by Poles throughout the nineteenth century, Austrians who really  invented modern Ukrainians as a nation, Germans both in World War I and in II.

So, whether you like it or not really every thinking Russian wonders why Americans this time need Ukrainians against Russia. 

Rather, historically it foreshadowed very hard times for Russia in the style of invasion of Russia and the associations are really unambiguous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_invasion_of_Russia

My assessment of your knowledge of Russia's history - something between failing and passing.

Because I cannot really give a higher grade to someone who has not heard of 2 major invasions on Russia from the West when Russian sole statehood was really  threatened.

So personally, for the future reading  I recommend Nicholas Riasanovski History of Russia.  

In the US alone it had 10 editions. Unfortunately, I read it and this is quite briefly described history of Russia but it's very well-written and better than nothing.You can borrow it at midnight for free in the open library portal, so this is why I recommend this position

Generally, in addition to being a master of law, which I do for a living, I also have a BA in history done as a hobby, so of course I am happily willing to participate in all historical discussions, but maybe not with someone who has really not  heard even about the Great Troubles and two great invasions on Russia in modern history.

Someone well summed up thats one of the problems is that it is difficult to imagine the world without the USA, but you can ver well imagine someone in the USA who really  has no knowledge about the  world outside  USA because he does not need it for a living and it is a problem for the world.

Edited by Tomasz
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tomasz said:

Someone well summed up thats one of the problems is that it is difficult to imagine the world without the USA, but you can ver well imagine someone in the USA who really  has no knowledge about the  world outside  USA because he does not need it for a living and it is a problem for the world.

Compared to most Americans, I'm at least aware that Russia was invaded multiple times.

Can you name the date (year) the United States launched a military expedition into Russia?

This leads to the next question... what do you associate with the world 'Lebensraum'? When did this take on a special meaning to Russia?

• Like 1

(edited)

On 1/23/2021 at 8:59 AM, Rumble said:

"But the vulnerabilities in the software out there is *startling*"

Open text before, open text after: an illusion of privacy.

What illusion of privacy? Still, there are statutory laws for california and european residents. 

Check out https://www.shodan.io/explore which started as a index of all of the insecure IP-cameras. The problem is usually security updates not happening fast enough. 

Edited by surrept33

(edited)

On 1/23/2021 at 11:03 PM, Tomasz said:

So you as expected do not really know much about the history of Russia.

Because you have not heard about the Polish invasion of Russia at the beggining of XVII century the so-called dimitriads.

In fact, even 2 dymitriads and the long period of Great Trouble, when the Russian sole statehood  could really very well disappear from the map because Moscow was occupied for more than 2 years a for example, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church starved to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish–Muscovite_War_(1605–1618)

The anniversary of the expulsion of Poles from the Kremlin is now even a national holiday in Russia and the real beginning of Russia's superpower building throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. I think there is a large chapter in every one of the history books about XVII century but you didnt really hear about this.

You have not heard also for example of the invasion of Charles XII on Ukraine and the major Battle of Poltava, which shapes the image of this part of Europe to this day.

Charles XII was also the first ruler who decided to use the Kozaks now Ukrainians of Hetman Mazepa, the former loyal supporter of Peter the Great, against Russia, which may explain for the first time Russia's special interest in Ukraine.

After him, similar maneuvers were used by Poles throughout the nineteenth century, Austrians who really  invented modern Ukrainians as a nation, Germans both in World War I and in II.

So, whether you like it or not really every thinking Russian wonders why Americans this time need Ukrainians against Russia. 

Rather, historically it foreshadowed very hard times for Russia in the style of invasion of Russia and the associations are really unambiguous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_invasion_of_Russia

My assessment of your knowledge of Russia's history - something between failing and passing.

Because I cannot really give a higher grade to someone who has not heard of 2 major invasions on Russia from the West when Russian sole statehood was really  threatened.

So personally, for the future reading  I recommend Nicholas Riasanovski History of Russia.  

In the US alone it had 10 editions. Unfortunately, I read it and this is quite briefly described history of Russia but it's very well-written and better than nothing.You can borrow it at midnight for free in the open library portal, so this is why I recommend this position

Generally, in addition to being a master of law, which I do for a living, I also have a BA in history done as a hobby, so of course I am happily willing to participate in all historical discussions, but maybe not with someone who has really not  heard even about the Great Troubles and two great invasions on Russia in modern history.

Where was Rurik from? Wasn't he a Viking? Weren't the Vikings from Scandinavia and good at sailing and known to be good raiders? Were the vikings more russian than those people they intermingled with (also see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Y-chromosome_DNA_haplogroup)? How about the proto-indo-europeans? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_languages With modern neural language translation it makes it fairly trivial to translate between these languages, but how where they spread? The domestication of the horse?

How about the Finns? Or the tartars and mongols? Does language count or genetics? Or culture or religion? all of these are vastly more complicated than you'd think, but at least with modern technology, a lot of past mythology is clearer to identify. 

Edited by surrept33