JM

Renewables, the Grid, and Blackouts

2 hours ago, NickW said:

I think it was typed with this in mind

(47) Hawkwind-LSD - YouTube

I had to put on the studio headset and go to the dugout, in order to gain a full appreciation of that video.  As good an excuse as any..  Turn it UP!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

I can agree with that. Central Illinois now in deep freeze like a normal winter. How did that happen??

And crude hit $58 bucks today.  Oh, that heating oil $ must be slamming Chicago hard, while their school teachers sit at card tables in the snow but let's give them a high five since they did remember to wear their masks!

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

I can agree with that. Central Illinois now in deep freeze like a normal winter. How did that happen??

We usually have little snow on the ground. This year has had a light snow cover for most of the year. More than I recall as it normally melts within two or three days. It has been very cold lately. I have seen colder but this is persisting longer and more to come. No heavy snowfalls, but that is normal here for decades. Thank God for natural gas and a well insulated home. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 5:30 PM, JoMack said:

I believe China is the biggest threat to the world today.  Appreciate your explanation for the reason CHina's use of coal power being somewhat "carbon neutral" since it is compatible to the U.S., but then why are they getting wide-ranging condemnation.  Here's Wired:

Wired quoted Carnegie Mellon University economist Lee Branstetter making the exact opposite argument in November 2019: China is cranking out coal plants because the controls were decentralized in 2014, encouraging faster power plant construction to meet China’s surging energy needs.

“On the surface it sounds great: You’re decentralizing the permit process and making it simpler. But unfortunately for China, this opened the floodgates and resulted in an explosion of coal power plant construction,” Branstetter said, noting that deregulation came on the heels of 1990s energy policies that virtually guaranteed profits for power plants with extensive government subsidies.

All of these explanations stumble around the fact that China is an authoritarian dictatorship, and its absolute rulers are very well aware that coal power plants are under construction at a rampant pace, even as Xi and other top officials sing the praises of globalist climate change agreements. 

Chinese officials have been sharply, even cruelly, restricting the use of coal by rural communities even as they burn gigantic amounts of coal in their power plants. Villagers complain about being forced to switch to unaffordable power sources, or simply being left to freeze without coal to burn. A viral video in December showed Chinese officials pouring cement into the little bedside stoves employed by humble villagers to stay warm in the winter. This level of heartless micromanagement is difficult to square with the notion of a government that cannot stop building huge coal-fired power plants because bureaucrats decided it would be a good idea ten years ago.

China is now well into the second “five-year plan” during which it indisputably knew it had to begin dramatically scaling coal power back to meet its nominal climate goals, but it tripled power plant construction instead. The response from the international climate change community has been little more than a few furrowed brows and awkward mutters about how those carbon-neutral promises from Beijing are beginning to look a tad improbable. The alternative explanation is that Beijing knows exactly what it is doing, and it has industrial ambitions for the future that will require all of the cheap and dirty power capacity it seems determined to build.

https://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2021/02/03/china-built-three-times-as-much-coal-power-in-2020-as-the-rest-of-the-world-combined

I am a little closer to the scene than any of those guys at Wired ,Carengie Mellon or Breitbbart.  As a part of Chinese wind and solar mfg.  group, Our patent CN104937222B The circulation two close cycles electricity generation system and its application method of combination https://patents.google.com/patent/CN104937222B/en will allow Chinese wind and solar farms to capture and store the 270,000 GWH that the grids dumped in 2017.

Neither Wired  nor breitbart are known for ethics and truthfulness. Both have hidden agendas. Between 2005 and 2016 DARPA awarded Cray/AMD 29 HPC Challenge awards to 0 for Intel yet Wired said Intel was fastest cpu around (well it was in 32 bit but way behind in 64 bit).   You can see how Wired focuses stories; it is by advertising revenues.

Many of the plants Branstetter talks about will never be built.  I don't know if he has contacts in the Chinese power industry and has the full picture  or his  sources are telling him the truth.

Simply capturing and storing the 270,000GWH of wasted wind and solar will eliminate 1/2 of the permitted coal plants. The Chinese Central Bank will decide what gets built and what goes in the garbage can.  Wind and solar require no foreign currency for fuel imports.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nsdp said:

I am a little closer to the scene than any of those guys at Wired ,Carengie Mellon or Breitbbart.  As a part of Chinese wind and solar mfg.  group, Our patent CN104937222B The circulation two close cycles electricity generation system and its application method of combination https://patents.google.com/patent/CN104937222B/en will allow Chinese wind and solar farms to capture and store the 270,000 GWH that the grids dumped in 2017.

Neither Wired  nor breitbart are known for ethics and truthfulness. Both have hidden agendas. Between 2005 and 2016 DARPA awarded Cray/AMD 29 HPC Challenge awards to 0 for Intel yet Wired said Intel was fastest cpu around (well it was in 32 bit but way behind in 64 bit).   You can see how Wired focuses stories; it is by advertising revenues.

Many of the plants Branstetter talks about will never be built.  I don't know if he has contacts in the Chinese power industry and has the full picture  or his  sources are telling him the truth.

Simply capturing and storing the 270,000GWH of wasted wind and solar will eliminate 1/2 of the permitted coal plants. The Chinese Central Bank will decide what gets built and what goes in the garbage can.  Wind and solar require no foreign currency for fuel imports.

So glad to know Carnegie Mellon University has been duped by your wind and solar manufacturing group owned by the Chinese Communist Party. And it's so important that you're on the ground there nspd, and glad you included the link from Google since now I understand that I was wrong, Google is so much more ethical and truthful about China instead of Carnegie Mellon.  I'm just thrilled they are building those millions of solar panels using slave labor by the Uighers!   Perhaps they'll get that $1.00 a day they were promised.  So, thanks for clearing that up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, ronwagn said:

My topic covers both sides but does have my slant overall. 

Global Warming AKA Climate Change and Just Plain Weather

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vHU2hHXebxpvExT7srNNnX-VM7Qn9Ak_ZmdKCIcUti8/edit#

Here's one for you Ron:

Westport Fuel spikes 50% after Amazon orders more than 1,000 of the company's natural-gas engines for its growing truck fleet | Business Insider

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, Wombat said:

I am glad to hear Westport has had a boost. I was a Westport ban since they started and it has just hung in there. I expect that worldwide trucking, ships, industry, electricity etc. will be very competitive by using clean natural gas. I am using it in an open flame right now to heat my house from a small gas open flame heater stove with a cracked window just above it. We shut it off at night and set the whole house heater themostat to 60 while sleeping. It is 13 degrees outside right now.

https://wfsinc.com/  Westport

http://www.ngvjournal.com/s1-news/c3-vehicles/india-maruti-suzuki-sells-300000-units-of-the-wagonr-s-cng

India: Maruti Suzuki sells 300,000 units of the WagonR S-CNG

VMmaxpTUI1GhmUdywXsAQQnWPqghy5zfGlf7xskArV03MOt_KUogs6mJIUkFFs0-I1siOXKvkC8u9iBqk8WfxNMBPuHCW5JgePsDuH7G1tLIka1GSLNhBCSwxmDRLb0mdiM1Zf8p

Edited by ronwagn
reference
  • Like 1

WoodMac: Global Green Car Sales To Overtake Gas Vehicles Until 2047

By Tsvetana Paraskova - Feb 10, 2021, 4:30 PM CST                                                                                                                    Global sales of battery electric vehicles, fuel-cell vehicles, and plug-in hybrids are set to exceed the sales of light-duty vehicles with internal combustion engines for the first time in 2047, new research from Wood Mackenzie showed this week.

According to WoodMac, sales of vehicles with internal combustion engines (ICE) will account for 44 percent of global vehicle sales in 2050, as alternative zero-emission cars will dominate the new car sales.

The share of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) is set to be at 48 percent in 2050, plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) sales are expected to account for 5 percent of all global car sales, and fuel cell vehicles (FCV) will have a 3-percent share of the global car market.

By 2050, electric vehicle (EV) sales each year will clock in at 62 million units, and the total global EV fleet will be 700 million, according to Wood Mackenzie. 

EV sales are set to accelerate with many major economies incentivizing green recovery from the pandemic and pledging net-zero emission targets by 2050. Some major economies have also moved to ban sales of new gasoline and diesel cars at some point by 2050. The UK, for example, banned the sale of new gasoline and diesel cars from 2030, ten years earlier than initially planned.  

In the United States, GM said last month it was going all-in toward an all-electric future, aiming to eliminate all tailpipe emissions from new light-duty vehicles by 2035 as part of a wider strategy to become a carbon-neutral business by 2040.

Global sales of EV and plug-ins surged last year despite the pandemic.

“Emissions regulations in western Europe were successful in doubling EV adoption despite the crippling coronavirus pandemic. This provides a roadmap for other countries and regions with similar goals to stimulate EV sales growth,” Ram Chandrasekaran, Wood Mackenzie Principal Analyst, said.

Despite the expected dominance of EVs within three decades, global oil demand from light-duty vehicles is projected to drop by just 24 percent, according to the analyst.

“Slow erosion of ICE stock and an increased demand from emerging economies are the main reasons for this lethargic drop,” said Chandrasekaran.

By Tsvetana Paraskova for Oilprice.com

Please read this story and tell me Wood Mackenzie can actually accurate predict 26 YEARS into the future. I wonder if we have the raw materials to sustain the battery market at present/future growth? 

Just wondering if this is just more propaganda to sway ppl to pull money from ICE makers to EV makers. CNG as @ronwagn is a better choice and less destructive on Mother Earth. 3rd world countries have proven that they can't manage greed/money in some mining operations. 26 years from now I will be long gone but my grandkids will be in their 40's and they are the ones I worry today about. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old-Ruffneck said:

WoodMac: Global Green Car Sales To Overtake Gas Vehicles Until 2047

By Tsvetana Paraskova - Feb 10, 2021, 4:30 PM CST                                                                                                                    Global sales of battery electric vehicles, fuel-cell vehicles, and plug-in hybrids are set to exceed the sales of light-duty vehicles with internal combustion engines for the first time in 2047, new research from Wood Mackenzie showed this week.

According to WoodMac, sales of vehicles with internal combustion engines (ICE) will account for 44 percent of global vehicle sales in 2050, as alternative zero-emission cars will dominate the new car sales.

The share of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) is set to be at 48 percent in 2050, plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) sales are expected to account for 5 percent of all global car sales, and fuel cell vehicles (FCV) will have a 3-percent share of the global car market.

By 2050, electric vehicle (EV) sales each year will clock in at 62 million units, and the total global EV fleet will be 700 million, according to Wood Mackenzie. 

EV sales are set to accelerate with many major economies incentivizing green recovery from the pandemic and pledging net-zero emission targets by 2050. Some major economies have also moved to ban sales of new gasoline and diesel cars at some point by 2050. The UK, for example, banned the sale of new gasoline and diesel cars from 2030, ten years earlier than initially planned.  

In the United States, GM said last month it was going all-in toward an all-electric future, aiming to eliminate all tailpipe emissions from new light-duty vehicles by 2035 as part of a wider strategy to become a carbon-neutral business by 2040.

Global sales of EV and plug-ins surged last year despite the pandemic.

“Emissions regulations in western Europe were successful in doubling EV adoption despite the crippling coronavirus pandemic. This provides a roadmap for other countries and regions with similar goals to stimulate EV sales growth,” Ram Chandrasekaran, Wood Mackenzie Principal Analyst, said.

Despite the expected dominance of EVs within three decades, global oil demand from light-duty vehicles is projected to drop by just 24 percent, according to the analyst.

“Slow erosion of ICE stock and an increased demand from emerging economies are the main reasons for this lethargic drop,” said Chandrasekaran.

By Tsvetana Paraskova for Oilprice.com

Please read this story and tell me Wood Mackenzie can actually accurate predict 26 YEARS into the future. I wonder if we have the raw materials to sustain the battery market at present/future growth? 

Just wondering if this is just more propaganda to sway ppl to pull money from ICE makers to EV makers. CNG as @ronwagn is a better choice and less destructive on Mother Earth. 3rd world countries have proven that they can't manage greed/money in some mining operations. 26 years from now I will be long gone but my grandkids will be in their 40's and they are the ones I worry today about. 

3rd world countries have proven that they can't manage greed/money in some mining operations. 26 years from now I will be long gone but my grandkids will be in their 40's and they are the ones I worry today about. 

You hit a nerve there, one only has to look at Iran, Iraq,Venuzuala,Saudi Arabia,Russia being empowered with trillions of US dollars or China's manufacturing targeted again towards US markets. 

The results were world anarchy, terrorism so vile it took the world back to the dark ages, and now a country that may actually threaten a war that could well take the world back to the dark ages or worse.

•