10 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

No one should be surprised that the New York Times lied thru their teeth with their recent "report" on Texas. Just in November (historically a low wind month) almost 40% of Texas' power was produced by wind, yet the lying NYT says Texas only produces 7% from wind. But they're talking to liberals who can't think for themselves or do simple research so they're "correct" and I'm certain "fact checkers" will quote them to propagate the lies. EIA.gov has the data among other sources the lazy and prevaricating "journalists" could not be bothered to look up. 

F372E7E3-A47A-4122-BF7B-43E9C786C380.jpeg

ERCOT assumed no input from solar and limited input from wind so was not reliant on these sources

What it didnt anticipate was 35GW of fossil fuel and nuclear plant failing. 

Hence the 87% attributable to FF/Nuc plant outages. 

• Like 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

37 minutes ago, NickW said:

Lap it up cowboy

Enjoy your 3rd world electrical transmission network😀

32 minutes ago, NickW said:

None of the above is down to environmentalists / AGW or the evil English. Its down to the incompetence of the Texan adminstration. 

During the first and second world wars, quite a few Texas cowboys gave their lives for your country. Knowing Texas as I do, I'm pretty sure they would do so again. 

If I were you, my young cowgirl, I'd think twice about getting crosswise with Texas. But hey, do as you will. 

You should be made aware, however, that you're showing your rather ill-informed ass to a whole bunch of cowboys who know quite a bit more than you do. As is said in Texas, be sure you don't squat with your spurs on.

Cowgirl.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

Why doesn't it count? Because he is and was a joke following the guidance of his professor in college. The professor was the scientist. Al Gore only "invented the internet." The Democratic Party nominated Gore for president and backed him fanatically. That shows how wrong they have been and still are. 

Gore enrols at Harvard. Bored with his English major, he discovers a passion for politics and later graduates with honours in 1969. He also becomes interested in the topic of global warming after taking a course with Professor Roger Revelle, one of the first scientists to measure carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

https://prepareforchange.net/2019/04/13/how-al-gore-built-the-global-warming-fraud/

At his death, Revelle may well have still been waiting for a signal that would prove global warming as a serious problem correct. In the November 1982 Scientific American Letters to the Editors, Revelle stated: "We must conclude that until a warming trend that exceeds the noise level of natural climatic fluctuations becomes clearly evident, there will be considerable uncertainty and a diversity of opinions about the amplitude of the climatic effects of increased atmospheric CO2. If the modelers are correct, such a signal should be detectable within the next 10 or 15 years."[7]

Wikipedia 

Perhaps you can show us where Climatologists (for the millionth time Gore isnt one ) told everyone no more snow, ice, or winter weather for Texas? Perhaps a statement made by the Sierra Club or a prominent academic in the field?

Apparently thats the entire reason for this disaster😀

3 minutes ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

During the first and second world wars, quite a few Texas cowboys gave their lives for your country. Knowing Texas as I do, I'm pretty sure they would do so again. 

If I were you, my young cowgirl, I'd think twice about getting crosswise with Texas. But hey, do as you will. 

You should be made aware, however, that you're showing your rather ill-informed ass to a whole bunch of cowboys who know quite a bit more than you do. As is said in Texas, be sure you don't squat with your spurs on.

Cowgirl.  

My outsiders interest in this is hopefully seeing that its avoided again. The serious issue is peoples lives lost. Trying to pin this on this sites favourite hobby horse is the wrong target and won't do anything to resolve it. 

Someone was making fun of Governor Perry here. I'm going to assume they were ignorant of the following (dated) facts: 

Texas – installed capacity 24,899MW

Far and away the state leader of wind energy is Texas with a total installed capacity of 24,899MW, enough to power over six million homes.

The state’s largest wind farm is the Roscoe wind farm in Central Texas, which has 634 wind turbines at a capacity of 781.5MW which produce 2,174 GWh of electricity per year.

Texas’ growth in wind power in the early 2000s was due to former governor and current Secretary of Energy Rick Perry. Under his tenure, wind power surged from 116MW to over 11,000MW and $7bn was invested in a transmission scheme to connect renewable power to Texan cities.

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, NickW said:

Lap it up cowboy

Enjoy your 3rd world electrical transmission network😀

It does look like Texas has too high a percentage of wind turbine electricity if it is not backed up by batteries or whatever. At least until they and every other winterizing updates are in place. Natural gas still makes more sense to me though. Meanwhile, ERCOT will be raising prices for the updates. https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/weather/ercot-to-raise-texas-energy-prices-blaming-high-demand-from-winter-storm/285-76ea495b-b67b-4cb7-8f1a-47f0fb4b4234

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NickW said:

Perhaps you can show us where Climatologists (for the millionth time Gore isnt one ) told everyone no more snow, ice, or winter weather for Texas? Perhaps a statement made by the Sierra Club or a prominent academic in the field?

Apparently thats the entire reason for this disaster😀

Reread my post. I just gave you one! Roger Revelle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Revelle

1 minute ago, Ward Smith said:

Someone was making fun of Governor Perry here. I'm going to assume they were ignorant of the following (dated) facts: 

Any competent system operator would only give that wind fleet a small baseload allowance. 

Even with the UK's extensive offshore fleet wind is only attributed 5% of capacity as baseload available so about 500 MW on a 20GW fleet

From what I read ERCOT lost about 4GW of wind it had anticipated to be available. I bet some of that loss was down to the grid failing rather than the turbines themselves. 

Small beer compared to the 35GW of Fossil fuel and nuclear outages

• Like 1

(edited)

6 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

Reread my post. I just gave you one! Roger Revelle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Revelle

Can you perhaps show where he says No more winter weather for Texas or say the Southern USA? 

This seems to be Revilles position in 1991 on AGW

That same year he wrote: "The scientific base for a greenhouse warming is too uncertain to justify drastic action at this time." 

That would appear to put him in the sitting on the fence category of people in the field but not in denial either. 

Edited by NickW
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NickW said:

My outsiders interest in this is hopefully seeing that its avoided again. The serious issue is peoples lives lost. Trying to pin this on this sites favourite hobby horse is the wrong target and won't do anything to resolve it. 

Trying to compare the British "islands" to Texas is a bit much. I suppose you could fit in the panhandle of the state. In every other respect there's no comparison. Bottom line what I said before applies and I'm not interested in using this thread to discuss AGW. You're welcome to start your own thread to discuss that. In point of fact, 99.999999% of funded climate research will not be funded at all if it doesn't adhere to the AGW orthodoxy.  Furthermore, as was proven by the Climategate emails (both sets years apart) the "team" will not even allow peer review of papers unless they follow the "creed" of the AGW religionists. So it's a bit specious to require that for your arguments, since it is nothing resembling a level playing field. 

ERCOT, which "only" accounts for 75% of the Texas market was caught with their pants down because they believe in AGW more than anyone. By the AGW models, this was supposed to be the new hottest year on record. By the time they're done cooking the books it probably will be and the useful idiots will pretend the Polar Express never happened. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NickW said:

That's more bullshit: your sole interest here is to demean Texas and America, to pile on when a bad situation has hit. You are, in effect, the worst sort of man--one who chides and acts prissily smart, then cowers behind a made-up piece of lingua franca when the going gets rough. 

Believe me, Texas will make sure they avoid this in the future--they really don't need your tea-sipper's contribution, especially since you demeaned them and made fun of them. Texans took the "people's lives lost" concept so seriously that they fought in the Alamo, then at Sword Beach.

And I'm not trying to pin this on "this sites favourite hobby horse." But trust me, when you call somebody "cowboy" in a derogatory fashion, you're going to take some heat. Stand up and grow a pair, pardner, you'll feel better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Gerry Maddoux said:

That's more bullshit: your sole interest here is to demean Texas and America, to pile on when a bad situation has hit. You are, in effect, the worst sort of man--one who chides and acts prissily smart, then cowers behind a made-up piece of lingua franca when the going gets rough. 

Believe me, Texas will make sure they avoid this in the future--they really don't need your tea-sipper's contribution, especially since you demeaned them and made fun of them. Texans took the "people's lives lost" concept so seriously that they fought in the Alamo, then at Sword Beach.

And I'm not trying to pin this on "this sites favourite hobby horse." But trust me, when you call somebody "cowboy" in a derogatory fashion, you're going to take some heat. Stand up and grow a pair, pardner, you'll feel better. 

😀

2 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Trying to compare the British "islands" to Texas is a bit much. I suppose you could fit in the panhandle of the state. In every other respect there's no comparison. Bottom line what I said before applies and I'm not interested in using this thread to discuss AGW. You're welcome to start your own thread to discuss that. In point of fact, 99.999999% of funded climate research will not be funded at all if it doesn't adhere to the AGW orthodoxy.  Furthermore, as was proven by the Climategate emails (both sets years apart) the "team" will not even allow peer review of papers unless they follow the "creed" of the AGW religionists. So it's a bit specious to require that for your arguments, since it is nothing resembling a level playing field. 

ERCOT, which "only" accounts for 75% of the Texas market was caught with their pants down because they believe in AGW more than anyone. By the AGW models, this was supposed to be the new hottest year on record. By the time they're done cooking the books it probably will be and the useful idiots will pretend the Polar Express never happened. 

If ERCOT believed that AGW would eliminate winter weather in Texas then more fool them. You really have to wonder what they were smoking there. 

No one credible in the Climate field would have advised them this. 

The position taken would have been - extreme weather events more likely (cold and hot). Preparing for that would have reduced the risk of this event happening. 

• Rolling Eye 1

1 minute ago, NickW said:

😀

No, you really will. I've never known a tea-sipper in the past--one whose grandfather was oh-so-glad to be bailed out of a crappy situation during the second war--who didn't say he felt ever so much better after growing a pair of cojones. It gives a man swagger. 

And when you have swagger, it's kind of difficult to make up a number about what happened when you're reading some bullshit article from three-thousand miles away. Why don't you come to America and we'll tour Texas and you can actually talk to some real cowboys, the ones who run the grid and make the electricity spark? You can interview some of the guys whose grandfathers pulled your grandfather out of the trenches and cut the barbed-wire. 

We'll have a grand ole time. I'm almost sure of it. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NickW said:

Preparing for that would have reduced the risk of this event happening. 

Your country preparing for Hitler would have saved us quite a few good Texas cowboys, you smug little sniveler. 

Stop it! 

You're embarrassing yourself.

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

Weather is not climate.  Climate change (anthropogenic or not) causes increased weather variability - yes more cold storms.

People from places that are actually cold laugh when a little winter causes an disaster. 

Did tough Texan cowboys even use electricity?   I think they mostly used solar powered horses.

• Rolling Eye 2

2 minutes ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

Your country preparing for Hitler would have saved us quite a few good Texas cowboys, you smug little sniveler. 

Stop it! 

Look up history...

• Rolling Eye 2

6 minutes ago, NickW said:

Can you perhaps show where he says No more winter weather for Texas or say the Southern USA? 

This seems to be Revilles position in 1991 on AGW

That same year he wrote: "The scientific base for a greenhouse warming is too uncertain to justify drastic action at this time." 

That would appear to put him in the sitting on the fence category of people in the field but not in denial either. 

That was after his career was over and he was covering his arse before he died. He built the global warming theory 25 years earlier.

Global warming[edit]

Revelle was instrumental in creating the International Geophysical Year (IGY) in 1958 and was founding chairman of the first Committee on Climate Change and the Ocean (CCCO) under the Scientific Committee on Ocean Research (SCOR) and the International Oceanic Commission (IOC). During planning for the IGY, under Revelle's directorship, SIO participated in and later became the principal center for the Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Program. In July 1956, Charles David Keeling joined the SIO staff to head the program and began measurements of atmospheric carbon dioxide at the Mauna Loa Observatory on Mauna Loa, Hawaii, and in Antarctica.

Hans Suess was recruited by Revelle,[4] and they co-authored a 1957 article using carbon-14 isotope levels to assess the rate at which carbon dioxide added by fossil fuel combustion since the start of the industrial revolution had accumulated in the atmosphere. They concluded that most of it had been absorbed by the Earth's oceans, contrary to the assumption made by early geoscientists (Chamberlin, Arhenius and Callendar) that it would simply accumulate in the upper atmosphere to "lower the mean level of back radiation in the infrared and thereby increase the average temperature near the Earth's surface". There had been little sign to date of this greenhouse effect causing the anticipated warming, but the Suess–Revelle article suggested that increasing human gas emissions might change this. They said that "human beings are now carrying out a large scale geophysical experiment of a kind that could not have happened in the past nor be reproduced in the future".[5] Revelle told journalists about the issues and testified to Congress that "The Earth itself is a space ship", endangered by rising seas and desertification. A November 1957 report in The Hammond Times described his research as suggesting that "a large scale global warming, with radical climate changes may result" – the first use of the term global warming.[6] A biographer of Suess later said that, although other articles in the same journal discussed carbon-dioxide levels, the Suess–Revelle article was "the only one of the three to stress the growing quantity of CO
 contributed by our burning of fossil fuel, and to call attention to the fact that it might cause global warming over time".[4]

Revelle and Suess described the "buffer factor", now known as the "Revelle factor", which is a resistance to atmospheric carbon dioxide being absorbed by the ocean surface layer posed by bicarbonate chemistry. Essentially, in order to enter the ocean, carbon dioxide gas has to partition into one of the components of carbonic acid: carbonate ion, bicarbonate ion, or protonated carbonic acid, and the product of these many chemical dissociation constants factors into a kind of back-pressure that limits how fast the carbon dioxide can enter the surface ocean. Geology, geochemistry, atmospheric chemistry, ocean chemistry ... this amounted to one of the earliest examples of "integrated assessment", which 50 years later became an entire branch of global-warming science.

Gore ran with it and Revelle never contradicted him. 

2 minutes ago, Symmetry said:

Look up history...

I'm pretty sure I know it as well as you do, bubba.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

Cowgirl.  

Mr Maddoux some of our UK friends are experiencing quite a bit of trama as of late, note here those that do suffer such silence will find a way to vent. Compassion must play a role here, not much mind you after they are men.

"She would attack me in the middle of the night when I was sleeping - punching me in the head, punching me in the face."

John is one of a growing number of male victims of domestic abuse who have turned to a Welsh charity for help.

Calan said it had seen a significant increase in people coming forward.

It wants funding secured to continue what it believes is the first UK scheme of its type - to tailor support specifically to men.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-47252756

(edited)

7 minutes ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

Stop it! 

Like you did for Pearl Harbour? 

BTW - the UK reintroduced conscription in 1938 and massively accelerated aircraft production. 

Edited by NickW
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Symmetry said:

Weather is not climate.  Climate change (anthropogenic or not) causes increased weather variability - yes more cold storms.

People from places that are actually cold laugh when a little winter causes an disaster. 

Did tough Texan cowboys even use electricity?   I think they mostly used solar powered horses.

Ohh boy its the Comic Gong making the rounds.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

That was after his career was over and he was covering his arse before he died. He built the global warming theory 25 years earlier.

Global warming[edit]

Revelle was instrumental in creating the International Geophysical Year (IGY) in 1958 and was founding chairman of the first Committee on Climate Change and the Ocean (CCCO) under the Scientific Committee on Ocean Research (SCOR) and the International Oceanic Commission (IOC). During planning for the IGY, under Revelle's directorship, SIO participated in and later became the principal center for the Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Program. In July 1956, Charles David Keeling joined the SIO staff to head the program and began measurements of atmospheric carbon dioxide at the Mauna Loa Observatory on Mauna Loa, Hawaii, and in Antarctica.

Hans Suess was recruited by Revelle,[4] and they co-authored a 1957 article using carbon-14 isotope levels to assess the rate at which carbon dioxide added by fossil fuel combustion since the start of the industrial revolution had accumulated in the atmosphere. They concluded that most of it had been absorbed by the Earth's oceans, contrary to the assumption made by early geoscientists (Chamberlin, Arhenius and Callendar) that it would simply accumulate in the upper atmosphere to "lower the mean level of back radiation in the infrared and thereby increase the average temperature near the Earth's surface". There had been little sign to date of this greenhouse effect causing the anticipated warming, but the Suess–Revelle article suggested that increasing human gas emissions might change this. They said that "human beings are now carrying out a large scale geophysical experiment of a kind that could not have happened in the past nor be reproduced in the future".[5] Revelle told journalists about the issues and testified to Congress that "The Earth itself is a space ship", endangered by rising seas and desertification. A November 1957 report in The Hammond Times described his research as suggesting that "a large scale global warming, with radical climate changes may result" – the first use of the term global warming.[6] A biographer of Suess later said that, although other articles in the same journal discussed carbon-dioxide levels, the Suess–Revelle article was "the only one of the three to stress the growing quantity of CO
 contributed by our burning of fossil fuel, and to call attention to the fact that it might cause global warming over time".[4]

Revelle and Suess described the "buffer factor", now known as the "Revelle factor", which is a resistance to atmospheric carbon dioxide being absorbed by the ocean surface layer posed by bicarbonate chemistry. Essentially, in order to enter the ocean, carbon dioxide gas has to partition into one of the components of carbonic acid: carbonate ion, bicarbonate ion, or protonated carbonic acid, and the product of these many chemical dissociation constants factors into a kind of back-pressure that limits how fast the carbon dioxide can enter the surface ocean. Geology, geochemistry, atmospheric chemistry, ocean chemistry ... this amounted to one of the earliest examples of "integrated assessment", which 50 years later became an entire branch of global-warming science.

Gore ran with it and Revelle never contradicted him. 

Yes but where is the bit about saying winter was cancelled? 

• Rolling Eye 1

9 minutes ago, NickW said:

If ERCOT believed that AGW would eliminate winter weather in Texas then more fool them. You really have to wonder what they were smoking there. 

No one credible in the Climate field would have advised them this. 

The position taken would have been - extreme weather events more likely (cold and hot). Preparing for that would have reduced the risk of this event happening. 

Yep, they had to change the name to Climate Change when Global Warming was disproven. They forgot to find a period in time where climate didn't change though. They have done more damage than good with all their "expertise". Clean air is good. CO2 is clean! Plants breathe it. We live off of plants and the animals that eat plants. They took the emphasis off of real pollution. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ronwagn said:

They took the emphasis off of real pollution. 

I actually agree with that to an extent.  So many people have started thinking everything environmental must be about climate change - most of it is not.

• Upvote 2