Texas is currently encounter an unprecedented cold snap with record-breaking demand for electricity, and the system failed to meet the demand for several reasons.

The last time the ERCOT system saw unprecedented demand leading to rolling blackouts was in 2010, which was before wind power was much of a percentage.  So yeah, unprecedented demand can force rolling blackouts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57716E24-8941-406F-A800-C3D2754E5682.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 4
  • Haha 6
  • Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, RichieRich216 said:

I am willing to bet these Greenies didn’t see this coming! The world needs to pause by all the assholes pushing Green Agenda’s! The world has tens of decades of cheap fossil fuels and I’m quite sure with all of the technology breaking at record speeds they if they desire can use and process it more efficient!

So it’s the greenies running Texas now? Lol What about natural gas sold to Mexico almost equals Texas natural gas consumption. That’s the greenies at work? Lol Lay off the Trumpisms. Who wants to bet the refineries in Texas owned by the Saudi and Venezuela are running while poor redneck Republicans chop wood. Is that how it really works in Texas? I bet you don’t want to know what’s really happening. 
Australia did a similar thing with their gas. Sold so much to Asia they had problem. Musk built them a battery and their going to solar. Bet he offers Texas the same deal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

44 minutes ago, Dan Clemmensen said:

The last time the ERCOT system saw unprecedented demand leading to rolling blackouts was in 2010, which was before wind power was much of a percentage.  So yeah, unprecedented demand can force rolling blackouts.

Not sure about that--I've been driving the Texas highways for a long time and there were wind turbines everywhere throughout the "wind corridor" in 2010. See excerpt . . .

March 5, 2010 6:47 pm. Eddie Seal/Bloomberg News. Texas, the nation’s wind-power leader, set a new record for wind generation this morning, when — at 6:37 a.m. — about 19 percent of the electricity on the state’s main grid was supplied by turbines.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Boat said:

Australia did a similar thing with their gas. Sold so much to Asia they had problem. Musk built them a battery and their going to solar. Bet he offers Texas the same deal. 

Of course he will. And of course they'll do it--Mr. Musk brought hundreds of billions of dollars to the state of Texas with his Tesla plant. Not only that but Larry Ellison is the second-largest Tesla shareholder, and Musk talked him into "taking the red pill" too--all of Oracle has moved to Austin. That's one big incentive.

Besides that, Texas had embraced renewable energy many years ago. For the last decade wind energy has contributed between 10-20% to the grid . . . and that doesn't compare to the wind power sold to Florida. Solar too. 

The last three days hasn't seen much sunshine in Texas and the wind turbines are apparently freezing up. A battery storage depot probably sounds pretty good, right about now. 

I doubt seriously that Texas ran low on natural gas. They have simply examined a century worth of weather, attributed certain percentages of projected needed power from different sources, and got caught by an outlier. Texas being Texas, they probably won't get caught again. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

(edited)

34 minutes ago, Boat said:

So it’s the greenies running Texas now? Lol What about natural gas sold to Mexico almost equals Texas natural gas consumption. That’s the greenies at work? Lol Lay off the Trumpisms. Who wants to bet the refineries in Texas owned by the Saudi and Venezuela are running while poor redneck Republicans chop wood. Is that how it really works in Texas? I bet you don’t want to know what’s really happening. 

Greenies you say? No Mr. Boat not at all. Greenies as a group do not possess the skill sets to needed to undertake such a enormous task. Clearly demonstrated by the failures of the power grids...Now i ask you as person, would you endorse sending power downline @ 50z cycle on a power grid designed for 60z power transmission?

I might ask did this happen? Have a read.....if you so need to.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/newsletter/2020-10-15/climate-change-california-power-grid-blackouts-boiling-point

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ward Smith said:

No doubt a factor but also plenty of reports of gas infrastructure freezing up causing the shut down of plants. 

Arctic Blast Grips U.S., Upending Markets, Setting Records (yahoo.com)

Gas processing plants across Texas are shutting as liquids freeze inside pipes, disrupting output just as demand for the heating fuel jumps. 

The reality is this is such an unprecedented event in modern times the infrastructure whether it be conventional FF or renewables has not been built to address this. Furthermore should they be for 1 in 100 year events?

I understand it will 10 degrees warmer tomorrow so panic over. 

• Upvote 2

(edited)

1 hour ago, RichieRich216 said:

I am willing to bet these Greenies didn’t see this coming! The world needs to pause by all the assholes pushing Green Agenda’s! The world has tens of decades of cheap fossil fuels and I’m quite sure with all of the technology breaking at record speeds they if they desire can use and process it more efficient!

Gas processing plants across Texas are shutting as liquids freeze inside pipes, disrupting output just as demand for the heating fuel jumps. 

Edited by NickW
  • Upvote 5

(edited)

1 hour ago, Dan Clemmensen said:

Texas is currently encounter an unprecedented cold snap with record-breaking demand for electricity, and the system failed to meet the demand for several reasons.

So if all power was coal nat gas and nuclear would this still be an issue?

Is it not global warming propaganda that increasingly poor weather events happen? Last was hot in a hot place now its cold in a hot place. Did greenhouse gass effect take a global vacation?

Edit : the Thames froze.  China coldest day in 54 years. Texas extreme cold. Spain coldest day on record. Europe gas storage over full and now below average. Common greenhouse effect we need you back!

Edited by Rob Kramer
  • Like 1
  • Great Response! 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NickW said:

Now just of a second here...i do believe underground pipelines are buried at a depth far below the frost line, actually it would take weeks of subzero temps to freeze any liquid buried 14" below the surface. OK i will ask what am i missing here? 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Now just of a second here...i do believe underground pipelines are buried at a depth far below the frost line, actually it would take weeks of subzero temps to freeze any liquid buried 14" below the surface. OK i will ask what am i missing here? 

Having worked at 3 gas plants on two continents most of the pipework and processing equipment was above ground

If the pipework is not frost protected.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Rob Kramer said:

Is it not global warming propaganda that increasingly poor weather events happen? Last was hot in a hot place now its cold in a hot place. Did greenhouse gass effect take a global vacation?

Edit : the Thames froze.  China coldest day in 54 years. Texas extreme cold. Spain coldest day on record. Europe gas storage over full and now below average. Common greenhouse effect we need you back!

I try not to comment on climate change on this forum. My post was entirely about the fact that grids do are not necessarily able to cope with unprecedented power demands. When demand goes entirely off the charts, then any supply disruption will require rolling blackouts, This occurs in red states and blue states, for extreme widespread heat or cold coupled with weather-induced supply losses.

• Upvote 3

(edited)

21 minutes ago, Rob Kramer said:

Except the greenhouse effect is a factor influencing the variability of the polar vortex. 

Edited by NickW
  • Rolling Eye 1

20 minutes ago, Rob Kramer said:

You would expect a proportion of that storage to be used each  winter. Its what helps pay for the storage facilities in the first place. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NickW said:

Except the greenhouse effect is a factor influencing the variability of the polar vortex. 

How do you know that?

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NickW said:

Having worked at 3 gas plants on two continents most of the pipework and processing equipment was above ground

If the pipework is not frost protected.....

Lng by itself is under containment is far below subzero temperatures is it not, what above ground fluids would be used?....and how would they freeze while moving. I will be the first to say i have no clues...but to that point i can only see water freezing in that temperature zone...are those pipes not moving fluid during heavy processing?

I ask merely because of soo much false information is being put out..it is very hard to determine the veracity of anything.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Dan Clemmensen said:

I try not to comment on climate change on this forum. My post was entirely about the fact that grids do are not necessarily able to cope with unprecedented power demands. When demand goes entirely off the charts, then any supply disruption will require rolling blackouts, This occurs in red states and blue states, for extreme widespread heat or cold coupled with weather-induced supply losses.

Avoids the question.  I've seen the charts. Coal is above average and gas has doubled output. If it was all gas and coal no renewable this wouldn't have happened. There would be enough. And saying I don't comment on climate change but push EV and unreliable expensive green energy  speaks for itself. 

• Upvote 4

(edited)

17 minutes ago, NickW said:

Is that modeled in the unavailable to study climate modeling program that everyone uses but can't use to accurately forecast the climate? 

Edit. So the theory is 90% of the globe is melting the poles until the poles freeze the 90% ?  And as I said I found 1 remaining solar minimum article and it was all deleted and said a previous version of this article stated veiws not agreed on by the scientific community. (And luckily I copy and pasted a quote to my Facebook about the last solar minimum freezing the Thames so ya delete the truth)

Edited by Rob Kramer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

7 minutes ago, Rob Kramer said:

Is that modeled in the unavailable to study climate modeling program that everyone uses but can't use to accurately forecast the climate? 

It seems it is hard to define a moving target...

https://scijinks.gov/polar-vortex/#:~:text=The jet stream is a,what causes a polar vortex.

AIRS_Captures_Polar_Vortex_2019.gif

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Like 2
  • Great Response! 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Lng by itself is under containment is far below subzero temperatures is it not, what above ground fluids would be used?....and how would they freeze while moving. I will be the first to say i have no clues...but to that point i can only see water freezing in that temperature zone...are those pipes not moving fluid during heavy processing?

I ask merely because of soo much false information is being put out..it is very hard to determine the veracity of anything.

It has nothing to do with LNG. These are conventional gas plants freezing up, that probably due to the climate in Texas are not adequately protected from an extreme cold event like this. Gas in conventional plants in warm climates will be quite 'wet' compared to LNG gas.

As regards LNG, prior to liquification it is dehydrated of liquids to reduce the risk of icing in pipework, storage and the regassification stage. 

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, NickW said:

NickW you seem to a quite a intelligent individual, your take on the below. I give you the ocean itself does have the influence to effect weather changes and hemisphere changes..Hydraulics are fascinating. Have a long read...i think you will find the artic is melting from the bottom up.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2014/5/19/1300509/-Magnetic-Field-Effects-On-Ocean-Currents

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/growing-underwater-heat-blob-speeds-demise-arctic-sea-ice

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

You do know that happens at coal-fired plants as well, NO?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Rolling Eye 2