turbguy

The good ol' days.

(edited)

A long while back, I actually worked at the plant shown in the "video" in the link.  The Illuminating Company's (a.k.a. Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company) Lake Shore Station.  Once the largest steam electric plant in the world.  The plant is now gone.

This film was produced in the early 1920's, and is certainly not much more than a rather lengthy commercial.  I found it to be somewhat humourous, particularly the lack of PPE.  These were the times when interconnections between neighboring power systems were just getting established, otherwise they operated as "islands".

I beleive most here might find it enjoyable to watch.  Even aviators.  It tells a full story.

https://www.ctmobi.com/articles/1510833/97-year-old-found-film-the-heart-of-cleveland-now-available-for-all-to-watch

Edited by turbguy
  • Like 3

Notice how the "hot water" was ladled out of the stove pocket.  So: no electricity, no running water, no hot water, and an outhouse out back. No tractor on that farm, either.  Primitive enough for you? 

Coal-fired electrical plants - ya gotta love them!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, Jan van Eck said:

Notice how the "hot water" was ladled out of the stove pocket.  So: no electricity, no running water, no hot water, and an outhouse out back. No tractor on that farm, either.  Primitive enough for you? 

Coal-fired electrical plants - ya gotta love them!

There was running water.  The kids had to do the running.  

Actually, conditions are very similar to Amish farms near Cleveland to this day.  I have seen them use power manure spreaders, but they were horse-drawn!

Edited by turbguy
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 1:20 PM, turbguy said:

They had dishwashers, of the same type as well.  In fact, I distinctly recall my father saying he had no reason to "buy" a dishwasher when he had 3 already (my brothers and I :) ).

• Haha 4

On 2/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, turbguy said:

Actually, conditions are very similar to Amish farms near Cleveland to this day.  I have seen them use power manure spreaders, but they were horse-drawn!

Woah horse powered manure spreaders? Damm you are ancient, tractor pulled in my day. Truly a shitty chore...the product  flew 15' in the air 

• Haha 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Woah horse powered manure spreaders? Damm you are ancient, tractor pulled in my day. Truly a shitty chore...the product  flew 15' in the air 

Hey.  It's the Amish for you.  Yeah, that stuff really flies.  The spreader was gasoline-powered, but hourse-drawn.

Walmarts in the area had hitching posts.

I had to be extra careful driving the Harley through the area. You never know when you would run into a buggy.  I didn't want to spook the horse.

Their Restaurants!  OH, BOY! Hard to match that cooking.  The pies were FABULOUS! 

Their Cheese factory was completely automated, however.  Cheese untouched by human hands.   Great stuff!

The Amish community has a helluva alcohol problem, though...

Edited by turbguy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

1n 1964 some German vineyards still used horse drawn honey pots to distribute fertilizer. Probably human waste. They were just large tanks full of excrement that was apparently aged well. I never picked up the odor. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, turbguy said:

Hey.  It's the Amish for you.  Yeah, that stuff really flies.

Walmarts in the area had hitching posts.

I had to be extra careful driving the Harley through the area. You never know when you would run into a buggy.  I didn't want to spook the horse.

Their Restaurants!  OH, BOY! Hard to match that cooking.  The pies were FABULOUS! 

Their Cheese factory was completely automated, however.  Cheese untouched by human hands.   Great stuff!

Amish i guess that makes sense, ND never had a Amish community that i was aware of, but there were Hutterite's. Odd i had almost forgotten about them

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, turbguy said:

Not enough?

Too late for a beer run?

43 minutes ago, turbguy said:

I would postulate that the alcohol abuse flows from the corseted sexual ideas and practices:  abstinence until after marriage,  pregnancy avoidance only by abstinence, dating only at the Church, kissing(?) -- ouch.  Kinda restricted, if you ask me.....

• Like 1

(edited)

4 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

I would postulate that the alcohol abuse flows from the corseted sexual ideas and practices:  abstinence until after marriage,  pregnancy avoidance only by abstinence, dating only at the Church, kissing(?) -- ouch.  Kinda restricted, if you ask me.....

They do have the Runspriga (mostly for boys) where considerable freedom to be "corrupted by us English" is permitted.

BTW, while they pay Feveral, state and local taxes, they don't pay or receive Social Security.  They feel it is a form of corrupting insurance.

Edited by turbguy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, turbguy said:

Never heard about that.  I guess it figures.  Do they make their own?

15 hours ago, ronwagn said:

1n 1964 some German vineyards still used horse drawn honey pots to distribute fertilizer. Probably human waste. They were just large tanks full of excrement that was apparently aged well. I never picked up the odor. 

China still does this as far as I know, and I'm sure there are other places.  They called it "night soil", but it was straight from the human latrine.  Fresh "honey" doesn't have much smell when spread like that, unless you get too close to the spreader, that is.

• Like 1