JB

NYT:  The Supreme Court’s order (Re:  Trump’s tax returns) set in motion a series of events that could lead to the startling possibility of a criminal trial of a former U.S. president

Supreme Court Denies Trump’s Final Bid to Block Release of Tax Returns

The former president’s accountants will give New York prosecutors the financial records he has spent years trying to shield.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/us/politics/supreme-court-trump-taxes-financial-records.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Excerpt:

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday rejected a last-ditch attempt by former President Donald J. Trump to shield his financial records, issuing a brief, unsigned order that ended Mr. Trump’s bitter 18-month battle to stop prosecutors in Manhattan from poring over his tax returns as they investigate possible financial crimes.

The court’s order was a decisive defeat for Mr. Trump, who had gone to extraordinary lengths to keep his tax returns and related documents secret, taking his case to the Supreme Court twice. There were no dissents noted.

From the start, Mr. Trump’s battle to keep his returns under wraps had tested the scope and limits of presidential power. Last summer, the justices rejected Mr. Trump’s argument that state prosecutors cannot investigate a sitting president, ruling that no citizen was above “the common duty to produce evidence.” This time, the court denied Mr. Trump’s emergency request to block a subpoena for his records, effectively ending the case.

The ruling is also a big victory for the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., a Democrat. He will now have access to eight years’ worth of Mr. Trump’s personal and corporate tax returns, as well as other financial records that Mr. Vance’s investigators view as vital to their inquiry into whether the former president and his company manipulated property values to obtain bank loans and tax benefits.

“The work continues,” Mr. Vance said in a statement.

In his own lengthy statement, Mr. Trump lashed out at the Supreme Court’s decision and the investigation. He characterized the inquiry as a politically motivated attack by New York Democrats, calling it “a continuation of the greatest political Witch Hunt in the history of our Country.” He also falsely asserted, again, that he had won the 2020 election.

“Statement on the Continuing Political Persecution of President Donald J. Trump”

Trump made a grievance filled, whiny narcissistic statement (“Statement on the Continuing Political Persecution of President Donald J. Trump”) on the same day that Biden gave an eloquent eulogy for the hundreds of thousands of Americans who died unnecessarily because of Trump:

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-fires-back-at-supreme-court-decision-on-taxes-claiming-to-be-victim-of-fascism/

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 9.19.19 PM.png

• Downvote 1

There is a real possibility that Mr. Trump will face some form of State of New York criminal charges.  They will be politically inspired, of course, payback time.  Cyrus Vance is a politician who would love to be Governor, and he senses that Mr. Trump is no longer popular in New York, so a NY jury is not likely to be intuitively favourable to him. 

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that, if indicted or if convicted, President Biden is not going to issue him a presidential pardon. Oh, well.  Time to take up residence in Brasil.  I hear the beaches are lovely. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

There is a real possibility that Mr. Trump will face some form of State of New York criminal charges.  They will be politically inspired, of course, payback time.  Cyrus Vance is a politician who would love to be Governor, and he senses that Mr. Trump is no longer popular in New York, so a NY jury is not likely to be intuitively favourable to him. 

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that, if indicted or if convicted, President Biden is not going to issue him a presidential pardon. Oh, well.  Time to take up residence in Brasil.  I hear the beaches are lovely. 

If they find anything, IF, it most likely won't be anything any other New York businessman is just as guilty of: guesstimating a higher value to lenders while guesstimating a lower value to the tax man.  Pay the penalty, pay the taxes, maybe suspend his real estate license, and hit the links in Florida the day after.  We shall see since that Dem AG isn't going away until he can at least have his 15 minutes, as Jan alludes to, and can claim some form of victory where others have failed.  And he may yet fail himself.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dan Warnick said:

If they find anything, IF, it most likely won't be anything any other New York businessman is just as guilty of:

Just guessing here, I guess that the Atty General is looking for Russian cash.  I suspect that a money-laundering or racketeering charge is in the offing.  Income-tax stuff in New York does not really go anywhere.  If Donald get whacked with a RICO indictment then he has serious problems.  And yes, in my view it is all a put-up job, designed to inflict political hurt.  Makes the City look like Rangoon.  Ugh.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Just guessing here, I guess that the Atty General is looking for Russian cash.  I suspect that a money-laundering or racketeering charge is in the offing.  Income-tax stuff in New York does not really go anywhere.  If Donald get whacked with a RICO indictment then he has serious problems.  And yes, in my view it is all a put-up job, designed to inflict political hurt.  Makes the City look like Rangoon.  Ugh.

Well, if there is a serious case to be made for money-laundering or racketeering, he needs to face the RICO music just like any other private citizen. I hope and pray that he was/is smart enough not to do any of that, but who knows. 

I would hazard another guess: If they looked at the Biden Family half as hard as they've examined the Trump Family, we'd be out of a president. Down to Harris. 

So ironically, I find myself hoping they don't look all that hard at Biden. As piss-poor as I think Mr. Biden is as president, I truly think he might be the second coming of FDR compared to Ms. Harris. 

Again, just guessing . . .

• Like 3
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

It's looking more and more possible that there may be an opening in the Governor's slot, sooner rather than later, so now's the time for Mr. Vance to shine!

• Haha 3

Cuomo for President!

(?)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, turbguy said:

Cuomo for President!

(?)

Well, at least he looks to be wide awake!

image.png.d7663bb5c5ca09ac763364562b8cb91d.png

image.png.43c548212d06809ad803e5e34e953d14.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jeffrey Brown said:

“Statement on the Continuing Political Persecution of President Donald J. Trump”

Trump made a grievance filled, whiny narcissistic statement (“Statement on the Continuing Political Persecution of President Donald J. Trump”) on the same day that Biden gave an eloquent eulogy for the hundreds of thousands of Americans who died unnecessarily because of Trump:

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-fires-back-at-supreme-court-decision-on-taxes-claiming-to-be-victim-of-fascism/

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 9.19.19 PM.png

Trump doesn't have to claim to be a victim of fascism, he is a victim of fascism. Time magazine already boasted about their FASCIST collusion with other media and Big Tech in this past election. It's not my fault that morons don't know what fascism means. 

Meanwhile after the colonoscopy that was the Mueller investigation you're delusional if you believe there is anything in the tax returns. But of course you're delusional, you've been running on TDS for how many years now? Must really suck to be you. 

725DB3E1-2F9A-45EF-BD68-88F20EB656F0.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

Trump doesn't have to claim to be a victim of fascism, he is a victim of fascism. Time magazine already boasted about their FASCIST collusion with other media and Big Tech in this past election. It's not my fault that morons don't know what fascism means. 

Meanwhile after the colonoscopy that was the Mueller investigation you're delusional if you believe there is anything in the tax returns. But of course you're delusional, you've been running on TDS for how many years now? Must really suck to be you. 

725DB3E1-2F9A-45EF-BD68-88F20EB656F0.jpeg

ROTFLMAO!  Whew!  It's good to have a good belly laugh from time to time.  Medical fact (So rest assured, Fauci doesn't know about it).

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, turbguy said:

Cuomo for President!

(?)

More likely than not.  

2 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

More likely than not.  

When you get to Brazil, please keep an eye out for a little plot of land where I can grow a garden and keep a goat. Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Trump doesn't have to claim to be a victim of fascism, he is a victim of fascism.

Unfortunately, Ward's observation is accurate.  Whether you like the guy or dislike him, whether you think he was great or was marginal in execution as President, for w3hatever reason including his own personality and the membership of the Congress set against him  (the "deep State problem"), it remains unalterable and undeniable that Mr. Trump was consistently, irrationally, being hampered and hindered by political opponents who cared not of the damage they wreaked on the country.  So, yes, Mr. Trump was (and is) the victim of fascism. 

Before ideologues jump up and down in denunciations of this post, please remember:  (1) I am NOT an American, and (2) as a Monarchist, I remain quite indifferent to internal US politics.  I try to look at it from an objective distance. Cheers to all.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

When you get to Brazil, please keep an eye out for a little plot of land where I can grow a garden and keep a goat. Thanks. 

I bought a nice house on Mid-Coast Maine, on Penobscot Bay, a place where I can do some nice sailing.  It used to be an Inn, so it has lots of bedrooms and bathrooms, great for hosting parties.  I will put in a new commercial kitchen, and expand the footprint even more to include a new library.  the new manufacturing plant goes in down the street.  I just don't see dealing with the Leftists in Vermont as a path forward, too many obstacles.  And, I am getting seriously old, there is only one Last Hurrah left in these old bones.  We all die eventually, and I am not partial to Cloning!  

IN LIFE, YA GOTTA KNOW WHEN TO HOLD 'EM, AND WHEN TO FOLD 'EM.  Oh, well.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

And, I am getting seriously old, there is only one Last Hurrah left in these old bones.  We all die eventually, and I am not partial to Cloning!  

See, you've been in Vermont so long you've subscribed to the Dick Lamb theory of death by responsibility. 

Nothing more leftist!

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

Unfortunately, Ward's observation is accurate.  Whether you like the guy or dislike him, whether you think he was great or was marginal in execution as President, for w3hatever reason including his own personality and the membership of the Congress set against him  (the "deep State problem"), it remains unalterable and undeniable that Mr. Trump was consistently, irrationally, being hampered and hindered by political opponents who cared not of the damage they wreaked on the country.  So, yes, Mr. Trump was (and is) the victim of fascism. 

Before ideologues jump up and down in denunciations of this post, please remember:  (1) I am NOT an American, and (2) as a Monarchist, I remain quite indifferent to internal US politics.  I try to look at it from an objective distance. Cheers to all.

Say what they want to hear, it gets the precious up-votes.

Trump is a victim of himself. Class clowns are routinely told to go sit in a corner, that is not fascism.

Other elected people have a duty to do their jobs, if that is to oppose the POTUS so be it. Once again, not fascism - it's called balance of power.

• Downvote 1

(edited)

Definition of fascism

: a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Edited by Symmetry
  • Downvote 1

You actually wanted Trump to have more power ("dictatorial leader") and wanted more suppression of opposition...

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

Do not forget the yellow submarine, and yes my mind is still caught in that thought process.

• Like 1

(edited)

WNYC did a whole podcast series on Trump's business a while back:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/trumpinc/episodes/10

Even relative to the (usual) shadiness of the real estate business, the Trump organization seemed to do a lot of unethical things that at least warrant investigation. I bet some of his international deals get scruitinity in those other countries because Trump's relative power went down quite a bit relative to we choose him to be leader of the free world.

Edited by surrept33
  • Rolling Eye 1

6 minutes ago, Symmetry said:

Definition of fascism

: a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

You do understand how childish your thoughts are, Fascism looking back it is indeed sad to known Trump could have silenced Pelosi or say Shifty Schiff, it is almost laughable how the far left is turning the man Trump into a Martyr. Revolution devours it own children, will history repeat itself?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

10 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

You do understand how childish your thoughts are, Fascism looking back it is indeed sad to known Trump could have silenced Pelosi or say Shifty Schiff, it is almost laughable how the far left is turning the man Trump into a Martyr. Revolution devours it own children, will history repeat itself?

Martyr now? Haha

You do shitty things, you get punished.  It is called Law.

Edited by Symmetry
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Jan van Eck said:

I bought a nice house on Mid-Coast Maine, on Penobscot Bay, a place where I can do some nice sailing.  It used to be an Inn, so it has lots of bedrooms and bathrooms, great for hosting parties.  I will put in a new commercial kitchen, and expand the footprint even more to include a new library.  the new manufacturing plant goes in down the street.  I just don't see dealing with the Leftists in Vermont as a path forward, too many obstacles.  And, I am getting seriously old, there is only one Last Hurrah left in these old bones.  We all die eventually, and I am not partial to Cloning!  

IN LIFE, YA GOTTA KNOW WHEN TO HOLD 'EM, AND WHEN TO FOLD 'EM.  Oh, well.

Best wishes for you and canola. Enjoy your sailing and the beautiful Maine coast. One of the most beautiful parts of America. 

• Like 2