turbguy

"Don't take a seat in the burst plane"

(edited)

Oh, I forgot to mention, that I had a part-time weekend job as a lineboy at a small FBO at the airport in Saratoga Springs, NY.   EVERYTHING and anything and everything flew into that place, and I had to fuel it up, handle some UNICOMM, then go clean the bathrooms. That's how I "lost a shirttail" and paid for my single-engine land license.

Oh, the stories from that place!!

Had a Stearman taxi up to the pumps, and a WOMAN pilot climbed out.  I looked up at the upper wing and said "I'm gonna need a bigger ladder".

Had an tiny Aeronca taxi up, spotted  all over with chunks of mud.  They asked for a water hose to wash some off.  Found out they had previously landed in a pasture.  IT WASN'T MUD!

In August, when the horse races were going on, the G2's would land.  I had to fuel those, too, but that required driving the fuel truck out to where they chose to "park".

...and EVERYONE expected me to clean the windshield!

Edited by turbguy
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, turbguy said:

I'm retired from Large Power Generation (coal, oil, nuc, hydro, nat gas, a little wind). I retired when the term PPE was becoming popular.  Had a short stint in manufacturing at large steam, heavy duty CT's, and aircraft engines with a "generous"  "electric" company.

"Hard hats protect soft heads".

I really don't know much about oil & gas business at all.  Be gentle with me.

We have WAY too many TLA's   (Three Letter Acronyms)!

A typical workspace for me, and it's almost always warm in the winter.  Working CT's in winter was BRUTAL!

Clipboard01.jpg

Good to know.  I worked in a plant that even Dale would be proud to call home, and then went global when the big boss said that was the new way of doing business.  I think he was into the martial arts or something.  😄  Commercial engines since '86.

2 hours ago, turbguy said:

Oh, I forgot to mention, that I had a part-time weekend job as a lineboy at a small FBO at the airport in Saratoga Springs, NY.   EVERYTHING and anything and everything flew into that place, and I had to fuel it up, handle some UNICOMM, then go clean the bathrooms. That's how I "lost a shirttail" and paid for my single-engine land license.

Oh, the stories from that place!!

Had a Steaman taxi up to the pumps, and a WOMAN pilot climbed out.  I looked up at the upper wing and said "I'm gonna need a bigger ladder".

Had an tiny Aeronca taxi up, spotted  all over with chunks of mud.  They asked for a water hose to wash some off.  Found out they had previously landed in a pasture.  IT WASN'T MUD!

In August, when the horse races were going on, the G2's would land.  I had to fuel those, too, but that required driving the fuel truck out to where they chose to "park".

...and EVERYONE expected me to clean the windshield!

Oh yes, aviation will fill an airman with good memories (amidst the inevitable downturns) for good storytelling later.

My first boss out of school was a private owner of a small FBO in Decatur IL.  We went on a test flight one day in a customer's King Air and ended up at a Stearman fly in.  Fantastic airplanes!  Much bigger than I had imagined until then, too.

Anyway, good chatting with you.

• Like 1

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

Oh yes, aviation will fill an airman with good memories (amidst the inevitable downturns) for good storytelling later.

My first boss out of school was a private owner of a small FBO in Decatur IL.  We went on a test flight one day in a customer's King Air and ended up at a Stearman fly in.  Fantastic airplanes!  Much bigger than I had imagined until then, too.

Anyway, good chatting with you.

We should have an aviation thread, just to share the close calls!

Edited by turbguy

(edited)

In-flight repairs!  "Hand me that 3/4 inch, Jim.  Hurry up, dangit!"

image.png.99744fff8c919126f0162939a1dc42c1.png

Edited by Dan Warnick
  • Haha 4

On 5/13/2021 at 11:37 AM, turbguy said:

Nothing like focusing on something other than the root cause (no pun intended).

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/us-faa-require-strengthening-key-part-boeing-777-engine-2021-05-12/

Reminds me of the battery problems on the Dreamliner: Make a stronger box and, SHAZAM(!), no more battery problem!

The engine has outside blade protection from blades fracturing and exiting through engine housing, The majority of these issues are a result of bad maintenance or lack there of!

One look and I thought probably Boeing.... would leader in plane failures (lately).

Made in the USA!

1 hour ago, -trance said:

One look and I thought probably Boeing.... would leader in plane failures (lately).

Made in the USA!

Actually Pratt & Whitney, with hollow, difficult to "in-service inspect" fan blades.

Engine structures and enclosers are designed for some types of failures.

Until those structures fail themselves.

On 5/21/2021 at 8:19 AM, -trance said:

Made in the USA!

You are aware that we're talking about an engine here, right?  And that Boeing doesn't make the engines?  Many engines are used on both Boeing and Airbus airframes.  Has nothing to do with the aircraft.  The only reason the airframers are mentioned is because, as @turbguypointed out, the FAA is said to be focussing on reinforcing the engine cases a higher degree to contain engine blade failures.  This is also not a new thing, engine fan casings have had "bulletproof" assemblies added to them for a long, long time already.