Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hemanthaa@mail.com

Here we go - again: plug-in hybrids cost motorists more than what they were told

2 hours ago, hemanthaa@mail.com said:

business-commerce-manipulating_stats-mas

Here is the article from Daily Telegraph:

Cmon you know all fuel consumption figures for cars are based on a BS lab test that has no comparison with real life. Furthermore vehicle manufacturers tinker with the engines to get the best fuel economy for the official test. 

Actual figures for conventional ICE engines are dire too. 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2021 at 12:36 AM, hemanthaa@mail.com said:

Here is the article from Daily Telegraph:

On 3/3/2021 at 3:01 AM, NickW said:

Cmon you know all fuel consumption figures for cars are based on a BS lab test that has no comparison with real life. Furthermore vehicle manufacturers tinker with the engines to get the best fuel economy for the official test. 

Actual figures for conventional ICE engines are dire too. 

I couldn't get at the Daily Telegraph article without leaving credit card details but is it based on that report by the UK consumer group Which? If so its an independent test and, as Nick notes, not so surprising. But interesting none the less.. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, markslawson said:

I couldn't get at the Daily Telegraph article without leaving credit card details but is it based on that report by the UK consumer group Which? If so its an independent test and, as Nick notes, not so surprising. But interesting none the less.. 

We have an Auris (corolla) Estate hybrid. If you understand concepts like timely and graduated braking and natural deceleration we (i) get 60mpg+ out of it. 

These concepts are of course alien to my Engineer wife so she gets nearer 50mpg 😁

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, NickW said:

We have an Auris (corolla) Estate hybrid. If you understand concepts like timely and graduated braking and natural deceleration we (i) get 60mpg+ out of it. 

These concepts are of course alien to my Engineer wife so she gets nearer 50mpg 😁

I've got a hybrid BMW 3 series company car, not becsuse I am a greenie and want to "save the planet" but purely because it saves me a shed load on company car tax.

However I agree with NickW the MPG from these hybrids is really amazingly good if you select an economy mode which alters acceleration etc and recharges the battery when braking/coasting you can easily get 60mpg from a 2 litre petrol engine. You also get a sport mode so you can use both engines and burn off some 18 year old dickhead in his "hot-hatch" at the traffic lights! 🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob Plant said:

I've got a hybrid BMW 3 series company car, not becsuse I am a greenie and want to "save the planet" but purely because it saves me a shed load on company car tax.

However I agree with NickW the MPG from these hybrids is really amazingly good if you select an economy mode which alters acceleration etc and recharges the battery when braking/coasting you can easily get 60mpg from a 2 litre petrol engine. You also get a sport mode so you can use both engines and burn off some 18 year old dickhead in his "hot-hatch" at the traffic lights! 🤣.

The 2.0L corolla hatch hybrid is a good candidate for that!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1