ronwagn

‘We Have More Leverage in the Free World Than We Think’ Against Chinese Regime

1 hour ago, Meredith Poor said:

Can you explain what you mean by 'deviant sexuality'?

Probably stuff that's been practiced since prehistoric times.

20 hours ago, Meredith Poor said:

More ignorance. I lived in an area of San Antonio that had 'illegals' marbled in with everyone else. Keyword search 'South Alamo and Probant'. This was (in the late 1990's) a gentrifying neighborhood right on the boundaries of the Hispanic areas of the city. Some of 'these people' were my neighbors. They didn't necessarily have very good command of English. One crew would go in on 'overnight' jobs to dismantle and rebuilt restaurant kitchens, which included vast amounts of stainless steel sheet metal, gas plumbing, ventilator hoods, and electrical work.

"Doesn't require "skillz" to pick fruits and vegetables." But it does require 'skillz' to maintain one's own truck and home. One of the common stories about immigrants (including legal immigrants) to the US is that they were doctors or accountants in their home country, but since they aren't licensed in the US they end up as food servers or some other relatively 'off the shelf' job. The problem isn't simply language - they would have to understand US medical care methods and regulations, or US accounting processes. These people didn't 'dumb down' just because they crossed the border.

I understand the motivation to move from say central America due to violence but seriously a Spanish speaking doctor ending up as a waiter in the US?

I would have thought a more obvious migration route would be to one of the more stable (at least less crime ridden) latin states where language barriers would not be an issue for practicing medicine (Chile, Uruguay, Argentina or Spain itself)

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 5:24 AM, NickW said:

I understand the motivation to move from say central America due to violence but seriously a Spanish speaking doctor ending up as a waiter in the US?

I would have thought a more obvious migration route would be to one of the more stable (at least less crime ridden) latin states where language barriers would not be an issue for practicing medicine (Chile, Uruguay, Argentina or Spain itself)

There is a Youtube video on the topic of 'Koreans immigrating to the US' that focuses someone on 'high pressure' nature of Korean society. In this video a doctor and his family are interested in moving to the US, but the only employer offering work needs someone to pick up pine cones in Georgia. This is an example of a situation where a doctor in one country is willing to work legally in another as what is in effect an agricultural worker for a year in order to gain permanent residence. This does happen.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 11:48 AM, Symmetry said:

"The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

It might be " to replace an empty mind with a filled one"......

"Filled", might often not equals to "opened"..........

On 3/10/2021 at 6:24 PM, NickW said:

The currencies might offer some sights........ O.o besides experiencing life, over things one has not done or would never do while waiting for proper offers, for some.....