Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KT

What About Big Oil and Sexual Harassment?

With the "fall of Men" going on over sexual harassment in nearly every segment of industry, policy, entertainment, etc. does anyone know if it's trickled into oil and gas industry? Not a huge industry for women, so I suspect less reverberation, but would be interesting to know. 

Sexual harassment can't evade oil industry too. A Denver oil tycoon Jack Grynberg is fending off allegations for sexual harassment. Three women had to sleep with him if they wanted to keep their jobs in Grynberg Petroleum Co. 

15 minutes ago, Adam Varga said:

Sexual harassment can't evade oil industry too. A Denver oil tycoon Jack Grynberg is fending off allegations for sexual harassment. Three women had to sleep with him if they wanted to keep their jobs in Grynberg Petroleum Co. 

Was that backed by evidence? If it wasn't, then it's only allegations. Sorry for being nit-picky but in this environment when allegations are passed as facts I think it's important to note the distinction, regardless of the issue/crime.

The court find that Grynberg took advantage of one of these women by providing her and her 5 children a place to live without rent payments and firing her after that. Maybe it's still just an allegation which hasn't been proven yet, but it's pretty suspicious to me that all women were fired and this free-rent thing. 

This is actually about powerful individuals who succeed in avoiding sanctions for their actions. But they can not run forever. 

The problem is that in this cases there's usually the inability to prosecute because of the statute of limitations. The law often protects the attackers instead of the victim. 

But we must not forget that sometimes the victim is not really a victim but someone who wants to get some benefits from the wealthy guy. No one is guilty until the court says so. 

Another case of sexual harassment includes Shell Oil. A former employee in the East Bay was suing this company in July for sex-based harassment, sex discrimination and failure to take steps to prevent discrimination and harassment. 

Sexual harassment take place in all bigger corporate settings. Don't see a reason why the oil industry would be different. 

A fish rots from the head down. Every corporate should have a department for protecting their workers from sexual harassment and other forms of bad behavior, but most of them don't have it. 

17 hours ago, Pavel said:

But we must not forget that sometimes the victim is not really a victim but someone who wants to get some benefits from the wealthy guy. No one is guilty until the court says so. 

Yes. I think we need clearer heads although I can see how and why this can be difficult right now. So we get stuff like this.

This is already the definition of stupidity. 

Guys be careful. Avoid going under the mistletoe this Christmas, It could be a trap. 

I think everyone's safe under the mistletoe. Basically it's an age-old problem on both sides. Men need to stop acting like their entitled, and women need to stop letting themselves be victims--it's weak and unworthy. 

According to CNBC Survey, about one-fifth o American adults have experienced sexual harassment in the workplace, 10 percent among men and 27 percent among women. The result of this survey shows that older women between 50-64 were victims more often than younger women between 18-34. 

More than $100,000 in taxpayer issued by lawmakers in the House funded settlements to address sexual harassment claims from 2008-2012. And at least three settlements were related to these claims involving unnamed House members offices in this period. Total $115,000

If I was an American, I would be very angry because of this.