Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JB

Who is hacking my house?

So I was getting ready for a extended weekend and as I was packing Alexa, dimming the lights and turning the alarm on, I found out that the FBI warned that Russian computer hackers had compromised hundreds of thousands of home and office routers and could collect user information or shut down network traffic. Should I just stay in lake house with no power?

aside the fact that we learned that you own lake house, nothing else is unusual. Everybody is hacking. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 李伟王芳 said:

aside the fact that we learned that you own lake house, nothing else is unusual. Everybody is hacking. 

rental. It is also possible that no one is actually hacking. Maybe is just a scare tactic 

Hoover is satisfied

"Experts say the expanding ecosystem of internet-connected devices such as smart thermostats, home security systems and electric door locks are increasingly susceptible to hackers, including those trying to leverage voice-command devices."

Thermostat? Thermostat?? That is my red line Russians cant cross. Mind blowing psychology. To turn heat on when is already 80 degrees 

• Like 2

Just now, Stephen said:

"Experts say the expanding ecosystem of internet-connected devices such as smart thermostats, home security systems and electric door locks are increasingly susceptible to hackers, including those trying to leverage voice-command devices."

Thermostat? Thermostat?? That is my red line Russians cant cross. Mind blowing psychology. To turn heat on when is already 80 degrees 

agreed. Possibly the cruelest thing they can do. 

One incident that drew particular attention this week highlighted some of the privacy fears surrounding voice-controlled devices and how they can operate seemingly independently of their owners' intentions.

A woman in Portland said her Amazon Echo recorded a private conversation she had with her husband and then sent an audio file of the recording to someone in the couple's contact list.

Just now, Stephen said:

I was just thinking the same thing. How asinine! Messing with my thermostat? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to add something to this legit theory, Alexa is kind of Russian name

1 hour ago, Ja’Nako Bezze said:

So I was getting ready for a extended weekend and as I was packing Alexa, dimming the lights and turning the alarm on, I found out that the FBI warned that Russian computer hackers had compromised hundreds of thousands of home and office routers and could collect user information or shut down network traffic. Should I just stay in lake house with no power?

Personal voice assistants already are hacked, by the makers. The are devices specifically designed to hack into your lives and not only spy on every thing you do but find ways to control you. 

I always thought those .devices are for lonely people, who have no one to talk to. But it appears the audience is respectable 

Just now, Joanna said:

I always thought those .devices are for lonely people, who have no one to talk to. But it appears the audience is respectable 

I am getting a cat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ja’Nako Bezze said:

Social engineering isn't new. It's been cleverly boxed and wrapped.

5 minutes ago, Cokiga Damke said:

to add something to this legit theory, Alexa is kind of Russian name

I have been forced to unplug my microwave when not in use.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hajga Loma DK said:

Personal voice assistants already are hacked, by the makers. The are devices specifically designed to hack into your lives and not only spy on every thing you do but find ways to control you. 

The issue is not about who specifically owns these Internet of Things devices. Problems is that the devices can be recruited for attacks.

And by the way all this connected things are going to increase power demand.

More electricity for the internet of things....

More electricity for the big data (data centers)...

More electricity for cryptocurrencies and blockchain mining...

More electricity for charging the EV's...

More electricity for the air conditioners in a warming world...

Infections were detected in more than 50 countries, though the primary target for further actions was probably Ukraine. However, Sofacy, also known as APT28 and Fancy Bear, has been blamed for many of the most Russian hacks, including that of the Democratic National Committee during the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign.

Ukraine or not, Cisco Systems Inc said the hacking campaign targeted devices from Belkin International’s Linksys, MikroTik, Netgear Inc, TP-Link and QNAP. I have at least two of those brands in my house

• Like 1

(edited)

Maybe you should just read about NSA PRISM project and watch Snowden by Olivier Stone? Also some wikileaks sources?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_government_mass_surveillance_projects

Because if you for example have a camera in your laptop Big Brother  probably see what you do at day and night so you  can really feel safe. Some sources from wikileaks also informed about taking control of your car during driving - cool,

Im also interested what new fantastic functions we could find in an upgraded PRISM 3.0 or some other programmes from more advanced countries rom the list  which are probably used today.

Edited by Tomasz

10 hours ago, Tomasz said:

Maybe you should just read about NSA PRISM project and watch Snowden by Olivier Stone? Also some wikileaks sources?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_government_mass_surveillance_projects

Because if you for example have a camera in your laptop Big Brother  probably see what you do at day and night so you  can really feel safe. Some sources from wikileaks also informed about taking control of your car during driving - cool,

Im also interested what new fantastic functions we could find in an upgraded PRISM 3.0 or some other programmes from more advanced countries rom the list  which are probably used today.

it is chilling stuff. But I am sure that surveillance is triggered by certain words or phrases. No one should be interested listening in my aunt Barb new recipes 

8 minutes ago, Ja’Nako Bezze said:

it is chilling stuff. But I am sure that surveillance is triggered by certain words or phrases. No one should be interested listening in my aunt Barb new recipes 

Is your aunt Barb a good cook? If so, I might be interested. The fact that internet-capable devices can be/are hackable is nothing new, as @... [wait, what's your name? I can't find it in the list using Chinese characters]  said above.

Hack my laptop cam all you want. I'm sure it's exciting stuff watching my blank face as I craft comments for the oilprice community.