Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rainman

Challenge for Petroleo Brasileiro: Brazil Oil Workers Begin Strike In New Blow To Government

Brazilian oil workers began a 72-hour strike on Wednesday in a new blow to President Michel Temer following a nationwide trucker protest that has strangled Latin America’s largest economy for over a week.The strike is the latest challenge for state-led oil firm Petroleo Brasileiro SA, whose shares have plummeted nearly 30 percent since May 16 over fears that political interference would unwind more investor-focused policies.The oil strike was declared illegal by Brazil’s top labor court on Tuesday, but FUP, Brazil’s largest oil workers union, said it had not been informed of the ruling and planned to go ahead with the stoppage.

• Like 1

Corruption, bribes and robbery - have I forgot to mention something? I wonder why they didn't strike before

• Like 1

As I see, truck drivers went on a strike demanding cheaper diesel in Brazil. Thus, the fear of government oil price control

Little bit a strange: Brazil court declares oil workers strike Illegal. Ok. I don’t get how a strike can be illegal? How can you force someone to work if they don’t want to? That’s confusing to me. State control, state firm, state court... 

• Like 1

Usually after such court decisions, a chaos starts in the streets.

4 minutes ago, Pavel said:

Little bit a strange: Brazil court declares oil workers strike Illegal. Ok. I don’t get how a strike can be illegal? How can you force someone to work if they don’t want to? That’s confusing to me. State control, state firm, state court... 

I don't see anything strange. It's illegal because the reason for the strike, lower taxes, cannot be provided by their employer. And yes, they have to work or be fired, and the union will be fined.

It's not just diesel! the truckers' strike is also for the 50% of taxes collected when consuming anything in Brazil.

I might be slightly wrong with this, but this situation kind of reminds me of what happened with the strike of oil workers of PDVSA ( i know that this strike was merely political by the top ranking and managers and executives against Hugo Chavez) but this is like the first time or a rare event by PETROBRAS workers and also in an electoral time for Brazil.. Tremendously interesting whats going on in Brazil right now and how this will influence the outcome of the elections in October 2018.. 

• Like 1