12 minutes ago, PTakacs said:

Since people were discussing getting radiation from being in planes, I assumed you offered an example of a high-altitude location in the US subject to high solar (or cosmic) radiation. My mistake. 

Cosmic Radiation? Big E left the building long ago....hmmm after glow perhaps.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PTakacs said:

As expected - Japan's proposed release is in line with international standards (written by people who know what they're talking about) and is common industry practice, but fishermen, environmental groups, nosey neighbour governments (who generally don't know what they're talking about) are going to moan about it anyway. Nothing new. :)

Frankfurter, with respect, nothing you say in this thread makes any sense at all. This is my favourite...

16 hours ago, frankfurter said:

the radio- waters for release will contain an unknown amount of ultra radioactive particles, some having a radio- life of up to 15 million years.

Heh heh that's a great oxymoron! Radioisotopes with long half lives are by definition the least radioactive. The very opposite of 'ultra radioactive'.

• Upvote 1

And as long as someone or person’s got their $$$$$ to look the other way and keep it off the radar, Nobody will know until the damage is done! Where are all the liberals and greenies, kill the ocean which clears more CO2 then trees and then it’s really over! No coming back from destruction of 80 of what covers the earth......

(edited)

5 hours ago, LiamP said:

As expected - Japan's proposed release is in line with international standards (written by people who know what they're talking about) and is common industry practice, but fishermen, environmental groups, nosey neighbour governments (who generally don't know what they're talking about) are going to moan about it anyway. Nothing new. :)

Frankfurter, with respect, nothing you say in this thread makes any sense at all. This is my favourite...

Heh heh that's a great oxymoron! Radioisotopes with long half lives are by definition the least radioactive. The very opposite of 'ultra radioactive'.

heh heh that's great, seeing you accept the dumping of radionuclides into the Pacific. the waste waters are only 1-time filtered and thus will contain cesium and many others, which will radio- sea life and wash up on USA shores. hope you enjoy what is coming your way.

Edited by frankfurter

5 hours ago, frankfurter said:

heh heh that's great, seeing you accept the dumping of radionuclides into the Pacific. the waste waters are only 1-time filtered and thus will contain cesium and many others, which will radio- sea life and wash up on USA shores. hope you enjoy what is coming your way.

I'm good, my man - I live in Norway! Also I have some very nice bottles of sake from Fukushima prefecture, and so far no sign of any extra legs! :)

Again your terminology indicates you have very little familiarity with the details and are just parroting soundbites. There's a whole lot more to radioactive wastewater treatment than if it is filtered once or twice, lol!

The biggest impact of this will be on Fukushima fisherman and other producers and it's all sadly down to public misconception of the dangers. Their reputation will be (further) damaged even though this controlled release is fully in line with international standards and industry practice. In fact Japan already has way lower allowable levels of radiation in general food than EU, US - about 10x lower. And half that again specifically for Fukushima in an attempt to bolster public confidence. This release will be calculated to maintain those already low levels. So impact will be negligible even at the source, hard to even detect further afield.

But people like you will continue spouting uninformed garbage! Don't get me wrong, nuclear power deserves its bad rep to a degree, but it is so very blown up out of proportion in the public eye. I liken it to public perception of air travel - any air crash is a major catastrophe and international news. People are horrified by the idea of a plane crash and many are too scared to fly at all. Reality is air travel is the safest form of transport by a long way. Same with nuclear power vs. many other forms of energy generation.

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

All those commenting do realize that operating LWR nuc plants continually release a certain amount of radioactive gasses via the off-gas systems, no? 

Edited by turbguy

On 4/11/2021 at 1:49 PM, frankfurter said:

Japan intends this week to dump into the Pacific many millions of gallons of waste water from the Fukushima disaster. The water contains a number of ultra radioactive elements, such as Iodine with a radioactive life of 15 million years.

It might have been overlooked back then.........

Retirement of weathered elder generation might have created gaps that not easy to be replaced, for many fields in Japan, and for most countries of the world..........

On 4/12/2021 at 11:33 AM, Ward Smith said:

How else are we going to make Godzilla? 

or mini lizard.........

old joke:

A lizard was about to be eaten by a crocodile. It had to think quickly.....

Lizard: " Mmoooommmmmyyy.........."

The lizard cried out loud.

Crocodile was taken aback...

"Good God!!... My Son!!... What has become of you? You must have worked too hard. Stop your dammnn work now. Come home and rest....."

On 4/13/2021 at 4:59 PM, LiamP said:

Generally, international standards are written by scientists from participating governments. Are you suggesting that in coming up with the said international standards, scientists representing the governments of Taiwan, South Korea, and China were excluded at the time? 

(edited)

44 minutes ago, PTakacs said:

Generally, international standards are written by scientists from participating governments. Are you suggesting that in coming up with the said international standards, scientists representing the governments of Taiwan, South Korea, and China were excluded at the time? 

Mr.P Takacs is your posting is taking a race based stance? I find it extremely odd Taiwan,South Korea having the same interests and goals as China...If i am wrong excuse my 1/2 Norwegian mind...it just is what is...

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

4 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Mr.P Takacs is your posting is taking a race based stance? I find it extremely odd Taiwan,South Korea having the same interests and goals as China...If i am wrong excuse my 1/2 Norwegian mind...it just is what is...

What are you talking about? Are people in Taiwan, South Korea, China, and Japan not of the same race? There is no racial component/angle here (thank god). As I previously posted here, Taiwan, South Korea, and China are on the page on this issue.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-12/japan-to-dump-treated-radioactive-fukushima-water-into-ocean

As to the international standards, I have no idea who wrote them. I only assumed that scientists from Taiwan, South Korea, China were not excluded at the time (at least that's my hope). There is no racial angle here, as I also assumed scientists from Japan contributed to the said standards as well (that's my hope as well).

A casual observer will note certain people here accept 'standards' as Gospel: to wit, if the 'scientists' says ok to dump, then its ok with the morons.  hmmm. At one time, lead paint was considered to be a safe standard. DDT was considered safe. Antiseptics based on mercury were considered safe. Tobacco was considered safe. hundreds of substances, now banned, were considered safe. Governments tell lies constantly.  The govt of Japan is complicit in the disaster, only a moron would take the Japan govt word as true.

9 hours ago, frankfurter said:

A casual observer will note certain people here accept 'standards' as Gospel: to wit, if the 'scientists' says ok to dump, then its ok with the morons.  hmmm. At one time, lead paint was considered to be a safe standard. DDT was considered safe. Antiseptics based on mercury were considered safe. Tobacco was considered safe. hundreds of substances, now banned, were considered safe. Governments tell lies constantly.  The govt of Japan is complicit in the disaster, only a moron would take the Japan govt word as true.

The scientists are the cause of, but also solution to many problems.  Scientist one makes CFC's, scientist 2 discovers hole in ozone layer, scientist three connects the dots and lobbies governments for banning CFC's.

Just like lead paint, CFC's, DDT, Hg antiseptics had useful properties. Heck, mercury based preservatives are still used.

Scientists do not always remain proud about what they did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb13ynu3Iac

On 4/13/2021 at 10:17 AM, Eyes Wide Open said:

Good to see you back posting again Franky...Since the big E left the building there has been a Cosmic Void. Carry on you are quite entertaining...

no worries. please, you lead. you drink the water, to show us how safe. 🙂 

2 hours ago, frankfurter said:

no worries. please, you lead. you drink the water, to show us how safe. 🙂 

You cant drink seawater Franky, surely you know that much?

When I read about this I thought "This is a really bad idea".  

And, unless I was looking at the storage units at Cushing, the storage for the waste water from the Fukushima nuclear power plant looked fine, secure and able to contain the waste water without issue.  So, I was just scratching my head.  But, wait, the greatest climate czar on the planet, John Kerry, was in Tokyo and gave the Japanese government the okay on the part of the U.S., so I felt oh so much better.

Now, we'll just wait for the disaster that awaits this million barrels hitting the ocean since John Kerry is a complete idiot and he could care less about the environment unless it's the energy sector in the U.S., which he and Bide are determined to eliminate.