Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

MidAmerican Going 100% Renewable? Not Yet.

"MidAmerican Energy Co will become the first U.S. investor-owned utility to source 100 percent of its customers’ electricity needs from renewable energy when it completes a $922 million wind farm in 2020, the company said on Wednesday."

but

"Because of the intermittency of electricity generated by wind, the utility will continue to use its existing natural gas, nuclear and coal-fired power plants, MidAmerican said, adding that it is seeking sites to add more wind farms."

Oh, and also

"MidAmerican’s 591-megawatt Wind XII project is subject to approval by the Iowa Utilities Board."

By around ten years from now, 100% of all electricity in the US will come from renewables. The problem of intermittency is solved by batteries. 

There was nothing about batteries in the MidAmerican report in Reuters. Which made me wonder.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marina Schwarz said:

There was nothing about batteries in the MidAmerican report in Reuters. Which made me wonder.

Which is why, I'm assuming, they are keeping coal, etc. as backup. 

Exactly. I also have a thing or two to say about the way Reuters presented the information but I won't because today is Thursday and I'm extra nice on Thursdays.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JunoTen said:

By around ten years from now, 100% of all electricity in the US will come from renewables. The problem of intermittency is solved by batteries. 

No chance.  The numbers don't work.

These guys will be using coal and gas plants for a very long time.