Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KT

What Happens if Saudis Try to Go Nuclear?

I think one of the most pressing geopolitical issues we should be considering right now is whether the Saudis will really try to go nuclear. MBS is bent on this, but unlike the UAE (which also wants to go nuclear), he's not in a careful, compromise mode and isn't concerned about western safeguards ... 

Saudis have made it perfectly clear, over and over again, that they will seek the nuclear option if Iran is allowed to go ahead with theirs - and chances are, that caveat is for PR purposes, and not an actual given. Through leaked documents and numerous other means including prime-time US television, the KSA stated over and over again that barring a nuclear-free Middle East (which specifically refers to Iran, rather than Israel), the other responses that they will pursue are to acquire their own nuclear weapons, or to enter into an arrangement with another nuclear power (Pakistan, since they funded their nuclear program) to protect the kingdom. 

I am not even sure why anyone is still wondering about the course of action here. 
Rick Perry, when testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee a few weeks ago, was asked about reports that the U.S. is considering a nuclear technology-sharing agreement that wouldn’t prohibit the Saudis from enriching nuclear fuel into weapons-grade materials.

"I think it’s really important to look at each of these agreements not in a vacuum," Perry said, without confirming whether the U.S. was considering such a deal. "I always remind people that the alternative is no good -- if Russia, China are who is going to be chosen to do the civil nuclear projects in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, there will be no oversight." Translated from only slight diplomatic speak, this is Perry saying that the US is going to help the KSA develop nuclear weapons.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1