JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

(edited)

The J. H. Campbell plant is big! And it's relatively modern (supercritical steam conditions for Unit #3).

Every month or two, I see another coal plant being announced as slated for closure.

I see there are zero new coal plants being built to replace them.

Thermal coal use in the USA is going down, slowly but surely.

Edited by turbguy

(edited)

Coal has peaked in India:

India received no bids for 48 of the 67 mines up for sale as part of its plan to open up coal mining to private companies, reflecting little investor appetite for a sector clouded by environmental concerns and low margins.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi last year offered financial incentives to the private sector and removed restrictions on the end-use of the fuel in a bid to reduce imports and make India a net coal exporter.

India has the world's fourth largest coal reserves and is the second largest coal consumer, importer and producer.

In a statement released late on Friday after a deadline for the submission of technical bids, the coal ministry said only 19 of the 67 mines had drawn interest.

"Four of these mines are coking coal mines and the remaining 15 fifteen mines are non-coking coal mines," the ministry said.

Only eight mines received more than one bid, according to the statement. Auction guidelines stipulated a minimum of two technical bids for financial bids to be considered valid.

=============================================================

India’s largest vertically integrated power company in the private sector has thrown its weight behind renewable energy.

Currently, 69% of Tata Power’s generation capacity is based on coal, including India’s largest thermal power plant at Mundra with 4 gigawatts capacity. The company has announced plans to increase the share of clean and renewable energy technology to 80% by 2030. The company also plans to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.

The planned shift towards renewable energy is not only the result of supportive policies of the government but also makes commercial sense. Tata Power has had to support the Mundra coal power plant over the last few years. The power plant uses imported coal whose prices have increased sharply. The company was forced to seek support from regulators to ensure that the project remains profitable.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

5 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

I agree they have a good idea how things will pan out this year. Then coal use in the US will continue to decrease as all those coal plants are shutdown over the coming years. How exactly is your prediction of increased US coal consumption going to occur if all the coal plants are shutting down and no new ones are being built?

We are discussing US coal, Japan is discussing Japanese oil and gas. I'll chalk that up to a change of topic since you lost the US coal discussion. 

They have a pretty good idea of this current year, but going forward no one knows. Coal will probably remain a go-to fuel long after you and I are no longer active. Oil? Probably keeps pumping at increased levels, long after you and I have stopped talking to each other or to anyone else.

(edited)

3 hours ago, turbguy said:

The J. H. Campbell plant is big! And it's relatively modern (supercritical steam conditions for Unit #3).

Every month or two, I see another coal plant being announced as slated for closure.

I see there are zero new coal plants being built to replace them.

Thermal coal use in the USA is going down, slowly but surely.

A 15% increase this current year is not exactly a decline...not according to my math.

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

49 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

They have a pretty good idea of this current year, but going forward no one knows. Coal will probably remain a go-to fuel long after you and I are no longer active. Oil? Probably keeps pumping at increased levels, long after you and I have stopped talking to each other or to anyone else.

When utility after utility is announcing accelerated coal closures and not one is proposing a new coal plant, it is completely knowable. 

Looking further ahead, S&P Global Platts Analytics' North American Electricity Five-year Forecast indicates that US lower 48 coal-fired generation is forecast to average 103 GW in 2021, declining steadily each year in the forecast period, supplying approximately 23% of generation in 2021 to between 15% to 16% by 2026.

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/electric-power/060121-us-coal-fired-power-output-decline-continues-with-last-pseg-coal-plant-retirement

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

2 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

When utility after utility is announcing accelerated coal closures and not one is proposing a new coal plant, it is completely knowable. 

Looking further ahead, S&P Global Platts Analytics' North American Electricity Five-year Forecast indicates that US lower 48 coal-fired generation is forecast to average 103 GW in 2021, declining steadily each year in the forecast period, supplying approximately 23% of generation in 2021 to between 15% to 16% by 2026.

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/electric-power/060121-us-coal-fired-power-output-decline-continues-with-last-pseg-coal-plant-retirement

U.S. coal production is increasing by 15% this year, for sure, and we do not know the future, could keep going up as the new solar science penetrates the official mind.

World coal production INCREASED last year, with plans for further coal plants in the works. Not going anywhere.

Edited by Ecocharger

4 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

World coal production INCREASED last year, with plans for further coal plants in the works. Not going anywhere.

No it did not. 

Global coal consumption fell by an estimated 7%, or more than 500 million tonnes, between 2018 and 2020, the IEA wrote in its "Coal 2020" report released Dec. 18. 

(edited)

29 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

No it did not. 

Global coal consumption fell by an estimated 7%, or more than 500 million tonnes, between 2018 and 2020, the IEA wrote in its "Coal 2020" report released Dec. 18. 

It went UP in 2020. With plans for rapid increase in future production.

All of which was caused by EV demand for electricity.

Your pet EV ideas are responsible for this. I do not blame you for sticking with your ICE vehicle, as I am doing.

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

21 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

It went UP in 2020.

Prove it.

Global coal production fell by 4.5% in 2020 https://yearbook.enerdata.net/coal-lignite/coal-production-data.html

Global coal production was down 8.3 EJ (5.2%). https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/energy-economics/statistical-review-of-world-energy.html

Edited by Jay McKinsey

On 7/1/2021 at 2:10 AM, Ecocharger said:

If I can construct some reasonable explanation for EU and British carbon policy, I will be worthy of a Nobel Prize for extreme intelligence.

Thank you for the info. May I ask who do we submit the policy to please?  :P  My neighbour's nephew's grandson's daughter might be up for it.......... :o🤭

• Haha 1

(edited)

12 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

A 15% increase this current year is not exactly a decline...not according to my math.

The more plants that close that burn the "stuff", the less "stuff" will be burned.

Some of these closures are a couple years away.  And I don't see any new users being built in the USA.

You think this downward trend is gonna reverse, with users dropping out?  Good luck with that...

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by turbguy

9 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

If ya can't cool the process, ya can't operate the process.

That plant is on the cutting line for retirement (or resale to some sucker) next year.  Such decisions can lead to deferring major maintenance.

(edited)

6 hours ago, turbguy said:

The more plants that close that burn the "stuff", the less "stuff" will be burned.

Some of these closures are a couple years away.  And I don't see any new users being built in the USA.

You think this downward trend is gonna reverse, with users dropping out?  Good luck with that...

Clipboard01.jpg

With demand for electricity ramping up, coal becomes a stop-gap and later an essential fuel for electricity production.

If you want electricity it has to be produced. U.S. coal production is up 15% this year. Chinese coal production is rapidly increasing, more than enough to offset declines in coal production in Europe.

If Jay and I keep driving our internal combustion engine vehicles, that will reduce the demand for coal.

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

16 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

World coal production INCREASED last year

16 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

It went UP in 2020.

You have given no evidence for your claim.

Chalk this one up as another win for me. Don't you get tired of being wrong?

Global coal production fell by 4.5% in 2020 https://yearbook.enerdata.net/coal-lignite/coal-production-data.html

Global coal production was down 8.3 EJ (5.2%). https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/energy-economics/statistical-review-of-world-energy.html

Edited by Jay McKinsey

NRG Will Close 3 Coal Plants After Poor Auction Results

NRG Energy Inc. said it will retire three coal-fired power plants—two in Illinois and one in Delaware—next year after disappointing results in the May 2021 capacity auction for the PJM Interconnection.

NRG during its June 17 investor day presentation said about 1.6 GW of coal-fired generation would be closed, including the 682-MW Waukegan and 510-MW Will County (Romeoville) plants in Illinois, along with the 410-MW Indian River plant in Delaware. The announcement was made by Christopher Moser, NRG’s executive vice president of operations. The plants account for about 55% of NRG’s coal-fired generation capacity in PJM.

“Closing these plants was a difficult, but necessary decision,” NRG said in a statement.  

waukegan-coal-plant-google.jpegThe Waukegan coal plant, located on the shore of Lake Michigan, will close next year along with two other NRG-operated coal plants, the company announced June 17. Courtesy: Google Images

Moser said the three facilities would be retired in June 2022. The clearing price for most of PJM’s service territory dropped to $50/MW-day in the 2022-23 capacity auction, down from $140/MW-day for the unconstrained regional transmission organization region in the 2021-22 capacity auction. PJM said there was a reduction of 8,175 MW of coal generation from the previous auction, when accounting for resources committed to fixed resource requirement plans.

Duke Energy is increasingly providing cleaner energy to our customers, shifting to more flexible, lower- and no-carbon sources while maintaining reliability and rates below the national averages. Since 2010, we have retired 6,539 megawatts (MW) of older coal capacity, while investing in natural gas and renewables. By year-end 2025, we plan to retire an additional 1,922 MW of older coal capacity, which will bring coal plant retirements to roughly one-third of our former coal fleet. The remaining coal plant retirements are planned on a glidepath to enable the company to reach its carbon emissions reduction goals.

20 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

You have given no evidence for your claim.

Chalk this one up as another win for me. Don't you get tired of being wrong?

Increase in Chinese coal production was greater than the decrease in coal production for all of Europe.

American coal production is going up 15% for the current year, thanks to increased electricity demand.

Jay, you and I should keep driving our ICE vehicles to decrease coal production.

5 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Duke Energy is increasingly providing cleaner energy to our customers, shifting to more flexible, lower- and no-carbon sources while maintaining reliability and rates below the national averages. Since 2010, we have retired 6,539 megawatts (MW) of older coal capacity, while investing in natural gas and renewables. By year-end 2025, we plan to retire an additional 1,922 MW of older coal capacity, which will bring coal plant retirements to roughly one-third of our former coal fleet. The remaining coal plant retirements are planned on a glidepath to enable the company to reach its carbon emissions reduction goals.

American coal production is up 15% this current year.

We need to promote internal combustion engines for personal driving, to decrease the demand for coal.

1 hour ago, Ecocharger said:

Chinese coal production is rapidly increasing

Some of that is probably bitcoin mining.

(edited)

9 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Increase in Chinese coal production was greater than the decrease in coal production for all of Europe.

American coal production is going up 15% for the current year, thanks to increased electricity demand.

Jay, you and I should keep driving our ICE vehicles to decrease coal production.

The increase in Chinese production was not greater than the decline in the rest of the world. Who cares if it was greater than Europe? I still win the point.

American coal is up 15% because we are recovering from the pandemic year. Enjoy it while it lasts, this will be the last time coal ever increases in the US.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

8 minutes ago, -trance said:

Some of that is probably bitcoin mining.

Mostly for increased electricity for EVs....it will get even worse going forward. Chinese plans are for a rapid increase in coal production.

(edited)

7 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

The increase in Chinese production was not greater than the decline in the rest of the world. Who cares if it was greater than Europe? I still win the point.

American coal is up 15% because we are recovering from the pandemic year. Enjoy it while it lasts, this will be the last time coal ever increases in the US.

Famous last words...increased electricity demand means more coal.

Edited by Ecocharger