JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

4 hours ago, turbguy said:

Perhaps there have been advances that don't involve higher temperatures that I am not aware of. The peak efficiencies for the Carnot cycle were achieved in the 1960's.   Recent work only adds a point or two with 3D flow modeling/advanced materials, then takes it away with the addition of "environmental controls".

When steam plants achieve operating temps that come close to CT's firing temps, THEN we can talk.

I am open to any evidence you can find.

I've been reading POWER for over 40 years, and have seen nothing to brag about.

I find it hard to believe that there are no advances in the past 40 years in the engineering structure of plants.

That sounds like lazy science.

1 minute ago, Ecocharger said:

"Off peak"?  Who wants to charge "off-peak"?

California seems to be having problems with all that excess electricity, right?  No need to ration or go down?

Just about everyone wants to charge off peak. Costs less and for the night time hours you are usually asleep in bed. Peak hours are only 4pm to 9pm. The rest of the day is off peak.

Rationing only occurs during the peak hours. We always have plenty of capacity the rest of the day, that is why it is called off peak.

12 hours ago, turbguy said:

You know that the "new tech" was included/back-fitted on a whole lot of those retiring plants, no?

Replaced burners, added ESP's/baghouses, added SCR's, added lime injection, what's NEW???

Unless there are "better mufflers" out there...

and those STILL require chemistry supplies, waste disposal, and significant house power to operate.

Power Generation that emits no operational waste, uses no water, and requires no fuel.  Logical conclusion: a new age for renewables is right around the corner

I have read that most Chinese coal plants use old, non-retrofitted technology, high toxic emissions. If it was easy to retrofit, they would surely have done something by now.

(edited)

2 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Just about everyone wants to charge off peak. Costs less and for the night time hours you are usually asleep in bed. Peak hours are only 4pm to 9pm. The rest of the day is off peak.

Rationing only occurs during the peak hours. We always have plenty of capacity the rest of the day, that is why it is called off peak.

Need to install new electrical attachments in the garage, upgrade the house electrical system, expensive stuff. How many Californians actually do that? California has no electricity supply problems? I thought that there were planned shutdowns coming this summer.

Edited by Ecocharger

2 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Need to install new electrical attachments in the garage, upgrade the house electrical system, expensive stuff. How many Californians actually do that? California has no electricity supply problems? I thought that there were planned shutdowns coming this summer.

Most houses already have 240 volt. If they don't it isn't that expensive to upgrade and the state offers a subsidy for it. 

No there are no planned shutdowns coming this summer. 

15 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

"Electricity needed for EVs"....how do they calculate that. Which year for the EV numbers?

100% EV means 100% EV , read the link.

19 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

100% EV means 100% EV , read the link.

I trust that you borrowed this from an unbiased source, Jay? Like your other stuff?

• Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

37 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

If that is true, why is there any need for charging stations on the roads of America? Those are just a waste of taxpayers' money.

Edited by Ecocharger

3 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

If that is true, why is there any need for charging stations on the roads of America?

Obviously for when you drive a long distance from your house.

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Obviously for when you drive a long distance from your house.

Only a few folks drive long distances on road trips, in fact, I would not even dream of taking an EV on a road trip, with scarce charging stations available. Take a drive in the mountains with an EV?  Not me.

If you only provided charging stations for long distance trippers, that would be a tiny percentage of people driving EVs, just a waste of good taxpayers' money. 

Edited by Ecocharger

31 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

I trust that you borrowed this from an unbiased source, Jay? Like your other stuff?

Still can't figure out how to click on a link?

(edited)

36 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Only a few folks drive long distances on road trips, in fact, I would not even dream of taking an EV on a road trip, with scarce charging stations available. Take a drive in the mountains with an EV?  Not me.

If you only provided charging stations for long distance trippers, that would be a tiny percentage of people driving EVs, just a waste of good taxpayers' money. 

Don't worry. We'll pay for it by removing oil industry subsidies. Or buy a Tesla:

image.png.92d9e50f977a52f88ccc833b01367372.png

------

Jeep will install EV charging stations at off-road trailheads across the US as part of a partnership with Electrify America, the company announced

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

33 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Actually you present a fundamental issue in regards to deployment of EV's. It is already known EV's enjoy a modicum of success in major high density metro center's. 

Unfortunately the majority of these metroplexs are Democratic. Facing severe financial difficulties. Housing,hospitalization and law enforcement are under siege, unemployment is off the charts. Social unrest is causing corporate America to abandon downtown areas...

I often wonder how the magical unicorn will descend from above and UNCHAIN these burdens allowing the Green mircale to take root and flourish.

It brings back old history once again. Hey Buddy Got A Buck?...I need a bus ticket if you would be so kind.

Edited by Eyes Wide Open

4 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Actually you present a fundamental issue in regards to deployment of EV's. It is already known EV's enjoy a modicum of success in major high density metro center's. 

Unfortunately the majority of these metroplexs are Democratic. Facing severe financial difficulties. Housing,hospitalization and law enforcement are under siege, unemployment is off the charts. Social unrest is causing corporate America to abandon downtown areas...

I often wonder how the magical unicorn will descend from above and UNCHAIN these burdens allowing the Green mircale to take root and flourish.

It brings back old history once again. Hey Buddy Got A Buck?...I need a bus ticket if you would be so kind.

EV penetration is at its highest in the richest cities. The only thing you got right is that they are Democratic. 

1 minute ago, Jay McKinsey said:

EV penetration is at its highest in the richest cities. The only thing you got right is that they are Democratic. 

And your self serving memory forgets to remember the urban blight in these cities.

Anyways, do you need a medal for pointing out that they are Democratic cities or a chest to pin it on? LOL

Just now, ceo_energemsier said:

And your self serving memory forgets to remember the urban blight in these cities.

Anyways, do you need a medal for pointing out that they are Democratic cities or a chest to pin it on? LOL

Don't worry, EVs will be all over the country in a few years. There will be plenty for the red states as well. Tesla is going to be the number one vehicle in Texas.

6 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Don't worry, EVs will be all over the country in a few years. There will be plenty for the red states as well. Tesla is going to be the number one vehicle in Texas.

I am not worried about the number of EV's I am worried about the power grid!!! blackouts everyday?!!!

4 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Smiles White Privilege cities? 

Ive been watching the huge promise's and some commitments made by the auto industry. It would seem they they are all going to fight over a already damaged market segment, a rush to the bottom comes to mind.

It seems GM has been woken...they have announced there budget EV's are China only model's. That really is two bad, With govt incentives US families could well have had two for free...Ohh well such is life!

1 minute ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Smiles White Privilege cities? 

Ive been watching the huge promise's and some commitments made by the auto industry. It would seem they they are all going to fight over a already damaged market segment, a rush to the bottom comes to mind.

It seems GM has been woken...they have announced there budget EV's are China only model's. That really is two bad, With govt incentives US families could well have had two for free...Ohh well such is life!

By damaged market sector you mean the market sector that is getting all the attention, investment and the hottest growth? 

Even Jeep drivers are in on it: The new Jeep Wrangler 4xe is far exceeding initial sales expectations – with the plug-in hybrid electric version propelling the off-road brand’s iconic Wrangler model to an all-time sales record in May

Jeep Wrangler 4xe: April’s Second-Fastest Selling Vehicle After Corvette 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe

6 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

I find it hard to believe that there are no advances in the past 40 years in the engineering structure of plants.

That sounds like lazy science.

Find something that says so.

Thermodynamics has not changed for quite a while.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

6 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

I have read that most Chinese coal plants use old, non-retrofitted technology, high toxic emissions. If it was easy to retrofit, they would surely have done something by now.

I didn't mention anything about ease of retrorfit.

Actually, it really expensive.

(edited)

5 hours ago, ceo_energemsier said:

I am not worried about the number of EV's I am worried about the power grid!!! blackouts everyday?!!!

As we keep trying to explain to you guys, most EV charging is done at night when you are asleep and there is plenty of unused grid capacity.

TX_CA_ideal_EVs_and_the_grid_ercot_caiso.gif?1543845692

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

38 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

As we keep trying to explain to you guys, most EV charging is done at night when you are asleep and there is plenty of unused grid capacity.

TX_CA_ideal_EVs_and_the_grid_ercot_caiso.gif?1543845692

You can't use total capacity.  Some fraction will be down for maintenance/forced outages/dereates.  That varies throughout the year (even the day), and is not a straight line.

Edited by turbguy

1 minute ago, turbguy said:

You can't use total capacity.  Some fraction will be down for maintenance/forced outages.

We will just have to increase our capacity some from 2018 level. Not a problem.