JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

3 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

Maybe with someone else, but no, it’s not true.  Nothing was winterized for the weather that happened.  Sensors for nuclear power plants froze over.  Water intakes for natural gas plants froze over because they were set shallow with no freeze protection.  

I don’t have a dog in the fight of ‘renewables are da bomb’ or ‘fossil fuels rox’ battle that seem people imagine MUST exist and must be something everyone picks a side on.  I live here and deal with energy production and distribution and looked at the facts.  Everything was unprepared, and suffered as a result.  The details about what failed in different types of plants varied dramatically but they all failed all by themselves.  They didn’t need help

The NG generators were on the list of destinations cut off when the renewables failed, they were not given exemption from the cutoffs, and so they failed. That was all in the investigation.

• Like 1

(edited)

Intense coal demand is forcing coal prices upwards with a momentous rush, as the underinvestment  in coal production requires quick sectoral expansion.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/goldman-almost-doubles-asia-coal-price-forecast-on-energy-crunch

"The bank also lifted forecasts for coking coal used to make steel, with fourth-quarter prices now seen 48% higher at $230 a ton, while it raised its 2022 average by 13% to $175. Australian coking coal futures on the Singapore Exchange settled at $365.50 a ton on Tuesday. Gains have been supported by a decline in Chinese domestic coal production and the strength of demand from nations including Japan."

Edited by Ecocharger

3 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

No, the natural gas system was a backup to the renewable energy sources, but the system was designed to fail, when the renewable sector failed, which it did in spectacular fashion, it dragged down the natural gas system with it...we showed this before, you guys are still trying to catch up with it.

FACT:

While wind supply was curtailed due to icing issues, the "renewable system" produced about the correct amount of power predicted by ERCOT during that event.

FACT:

Nat gas and coal failed, primarily due to fuel supply issues and plant failures due to extreme cold weather.

FACT:

Nat gas demand went sky-high, just when it was severely curtailed due to well, processing plant, and pipeline distribution cold weather issues, along with lack of attention by those suppliers to notify ERCOT/utilities they were "critical infrastructure".

FACT:

One South Texas Nuclear tripped due to an instrumentation line freeze-up.

FACT:

ERCOT is not isolated from other grids.  There are a few non-synchronous ties to other grids.  <eighboring grids were also stressed, and had little to no extra power to share.

FACT:

If Texas does not make significant changes to the system and policies, it WILL happen again.

(edited)

Here is what the future holds as the energy crisis deepens worldwide. Sudden blackouts everywhere, thanks to the Green Revolution. This is how planning works when the underlying models are defective.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Chinese-Cities-In-The-Dark-After-Widespread-Unexpected-Blackouts.html

"Nationwide power shortages have prompted economists to reduce their estimates for China’s growth this year. Nomura, a Japanese financial institution, cut its forecast for economic expansion in the last three months of this year to 3 percent, from 4.4 percent. It is not clear how long the power crunch will last. Experts in China predicted that officials would compensate by steering electricity away from energy-intensive heavy industries like steel, cement and aluminum, and said that might fix the problem."

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, turbguy said:

FACT:

While wind supply was curtailed due to icing issues, the "renewable system" produced about the correct amount of power predicted by ERCOT during that event.

FACT:

Nat gas and coal failed, primarily due to fuel supply issues and plant failures due to extreme cold weather.

FACT:

Nat gas demand went sky-high, just when it was severely curtailed due to well, processing plant, and pipeline distribution cold weather issues, along with lack of attention by those suppliers to notify ERCOT/utilities they were "critical infrastructure".

FACT:

One South Texas Nuclear tripped due to an instrumentation line freeze-up.

FACT:

ERCOT is not isolated from other grids.  There are a few non-synchronous ties to other grids.  <eighboring grids were also stressed, and had little to no extra power to share.

FACT:

If Texas does not make significant changes to the system and policies, it WILL happen again.

No, the NG generators were not on the exempt list from power cutoffs, so of course they failed....bad planning.

• Like 1

Just now, Ecocharger said:

Here is what the future holds as the energy crisis deepens worldwide. Sudden blackouts everywhere, thanks to the Green Revolution. This is how planning works when the underlying models are defective.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Chinese-Cities-In-The-Dark-After-Widespread-Unexpected-Blackouts.html

Sounds more like an economic issue to me.  They have the generating capacity, just really expensive fuel that generators loose money on. 

If they are being forced to switch to "local coal" rather than imports, that could cause generating plant operating issues.  Not certain about that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ecocharger said:

No, the NG generators were not on the exempt list from power cutoffs, so of course they failed....bad planning.

A huge part of Nat gas SUPPLY was not on the "critical infrastructure" list.

That includes nat gas for ALL uses, including generation.

• Like 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, Ecocharger said:

"Nationwide power shortages have prompted economists to reduce their estimates for China’s growth this year. Nomura, a Japanese financial institution, cut its forecast for economic expansion in the last three months of this year to 3 percent, from 4.4 percent. It is not clear how long the power crunch will last. Experts in China predicted that officials would compensate by steering electricity away from energy-intensive heavy industries like steel, cement and aluminum, and said that might fix the problem."

Fascinatingly your poster child for coal power is the first country to be hit with sudden blackouts. If only they had more renewables they wouldn't be in such a pickle. It really takes a raging hypocrisy to laud China's high level of coal use and then blame the Green Revolution when they face power shortages. 

Residents in north-east China are experiencing unannounced power cuts, as an electricity shortage which initially hit factories spreads to homes.

Edited by Jay McKinsey
  • Downvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

The world’s longest subsea cable will send clean energy from Morocco to the UK

A 10.5 gigawatt (GW) solar and wind farm will be built in Morocco’s Guelmim-Oued Noun region, and it will supply the UK with clean energy via subsea cables. The twin 1.8 GW high voltage direct current (HVDC) subsea cables will be the world’s longest.https://electrek.co/2021/09/27/the-worlds-longest-subsea-cable-will-send-clean-energy-from-morocco-to-the-uk/

Here is the turd in the green new deal swimming pool.

natsqueeze.png

• Great Response! 2

20 hours ago, notsonice said:

No loss of the tards who state "You need a good punch in the fuckin face. "  The poster graduated from high school in 1999, 25 year vet?

Lol. Is that what passes for mathematics for you, reet. 

You could use a stiff palm to the lips too. 

I typically don't post meme's, however this old cartoon does represent the view of a good portion of the public.

Clipboard01.jpg

10 minutes ago, turbguy said:

I typically don't post meme's, however this old cartoon does represent the view of a good portion of the public.

Clipboard01.jpg

Dumb meme. 

They still own the infrastructure, whether it be PV or thermal. 

Don't be a numpty. 

2 minutes ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

Dumb meme. 

They still own the infrastructure, whether it be PV or thermal. 

Don't be a numpty. 

Oh, I understand.

I meant this represents the perception of a good part of the public.

19 hours ago, Eric Gagen said:

My dad passed at 64, and the need to reduce how much we eat (and what) really makes me wonder how long he would have made it under different circumstances.  Be proud that you care enough about your life, your kids and your grandkids to try hard and do the hard things.

My mom passed at 64 because she didn't like the way her blood pressure med made her feel, she had a fatal stroke. I monitor my blood pressure but have it perfectly controlled. I had to cut two meds in half because over time they were causing dizziness when I get up and fatigue. I am still in perfect control and monitor them daily I get a yearly echocardiogram for a leaky valve but it is good so far but am in atrial fibrillation all the time. Not really dangerous if monitored. I see my cardiologist next week and will ask him how hard I can exercise. Medical science has advanced tremendously over the decades. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, turbguy said:

Clipboard01.jpg

They have invested in wind and solar. Shell just sold all their shale interests to Conoco Phillips!

8 hours ago, wrs said:

Here is the turd in the green new deal swimming pool.

natsqueeze.png

Because it is superabundant in nature everywhere, clean, and still at a very good price. LNG is a little higher but available and competitive. Russia now has Europe over a barrel because they did not develop their own natural gas resources, due to the green dream. Natural gas is the hottest ticket available around the world. LNG can be transported anywhere there is a road. It will run any ICE engine and will produce the electricity needed for electric vehicle growth. Nothing else is ready to meet that demand except for dirty coal.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

Because it is superabundant in nature everywhere, clean, and still at a very good price. LNG is a little higher but available and competitive. Russia now has Europe over a barrel because they did not develop their own natural gas resources, due to the green dream. Natural gas is the hottest ticket available around the world. LNG can be transported anywhere there is a road. It will run any ICE engine and will produce the electricity needed for electric vehicle growth. Nothing else is ready to meet that demand except for dirty coal.

I gotta admit...you have a great point.

Nat gas is really great stuff, as long as we combust it rather than throw it away.

Actually, a realistic bridge fuel to our future.

• Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Fascinatingly your poster child for coal power is the first country to be hit with sudden blackouts. If only they had more renewables they wouldn't be in such a pickle. It really takes a raging hypocrisy to laud China's high level of coal use and then blame the Green Revolution when they face power shortages. 

Residents in north-east China are experiencing unannounced power cuts, as an electricity shortage which initially hit factories spreads to homes.

They are boycotting Australia and having deep economic problems so they screwed themselves. Their economy is suffering from poor relations worldwide and a declining economy. Their internal conflicts are also a very big factor. Xi might be on the chopping bloc. He wants to turn inward, I don't think that will work well for China or Xi. 

4 minutes ago, turbguy said:

I gotta admit...you have a great point.

Nat gas is really great stuff, as long as we combust it rather than throw it away.

Actually, a realistic bridge fuel to our future.

Thanks for being a realist. I am all for wind and solar too, but we must not go bankrupt trying to rush it when we already have what we need. I do favor dumping coal. That leaves plenty of room for wind and solar and they can compete to fuel EVs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

7 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

They are boycotting Australia and having deep economic problems so they screwed themselves. Their economy is suffering from poor relations worldwide and a declining economy. Their internal conflicts are also a very big factor. Xi might be on the chopping bloc. He wants to turn inward, I don't think that will work well for China or Xi. 

I believe the "China situation" is too chaotic to predict a future outcome.

In any event, it appears they have made a substantial change to personal poverty for the general population.

That is actually a good development.

As for "dumping coal" (which I KNOW is a great development except Wyoming's politicians keep burying their heads), I KNOW it needs to be ceased in the near future..

Edited by turbguy

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

My mom passed at 64 because she didn't like the way her blood pressure med made her feel, she had a fatal stroke. I monitor my blood pressure but have it perfectly controlled. I had to cut two meds in half because over time they were causing dizziness when I get up and fatigue. I am still in perfect control and monitor them daily I get a yearly echocardiogram for a leaky valve but it is good so far but am in atrial fibrillation all the time. Not really dangerous if monitored. I see my cardiologist next week and will ask him how hard I can exercise. Medical science has advanced tremendously over the decades. 

Not a person, but our Bassett hound lived 17 years, and she was diagnosed with a leaking heart valve at the age of 9 or 10.  She eventually slowed down with age, but her heart held out right to the end.  She died of cancer. Point being, that a leaky valve is something that can be managed !  

• Upvote 1

UK Fuel Shortage Leads To 1,600% Surge In EV Online Searches

Online interest for electric cars exploded to 16 times the average volume in a single day

In case you haven’t read international news recently, the UK is going through a massive gasoline and diesel fuel shortage, apparently because the country no longer has enough truck drivers to supply gas stations after Brexit.

This has led to enormous lines at gas stations across the country and a general sense of frustration among owners of ICE-powered cars. Because of panic buying, most stations restricted orders and closed their forecourts.

It has also caused a massive spike in online searches for electric cars. Analysis of Google search data reveals that EV online searches exploded 1,600% on September 24, the day when gas station fuel shortages became a widespread phenomenon across the country.

According to an analysis commissioned by Carguide, online interest for electric cars skyrocketed to 16 times the average volume in one day in an unprecedented spike in interest for EVs.

https://insideevs.com/news/536914/fuel-shortage-ev-online-searches/

30 minutes ago, Eric Gagen said:

Not a person, but our Bassett hound lived 17 years, and she was diagnosed with a leaking heart valve at the age of 9 or 10.  She eventually slowed down with age, but her heart held out right to the end.  She died of cancer. Point being, that a leaky valve is something that can be managed !  

Recently lost my black and white masked poodle of 17 years. He had heart problems but he had been totally blind for a year or so. We decided not to treat the heart issue. His quality of life had gone too far down. He was a wonderful boy for me. A Basset hound was the company mascot of Tidewater Oil Company which gave me my first job out of the army in 1965. I worked in a large building on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles. Right next to the famous Coconut Grove and across the street from the Brown Derby. Both are now gone with the wind. Bobby Kennedy was killed at the Coconut Grove.

https://blog.retroplanet.com/the-flying-a-dog/

Image of Axelrod in Flying A Ad

(edited)

23 hours ago, turbguy said:

A huge part of Nat gas SUPPLY was not on the "critical infrastructure" list.

That includes nat gas for ALL uses, including generation.

Same difference, the electricity needed for NG generators was cut off, resulting in all around disaster....the result of disastrous planning errors. In other words, it SHOULD have been on the critical infrastructure list, and its absence from that list was a gigantic snafu which resulted in the backup system being pulled down by the failure of renewables.

Edited by Ecocharger