JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

4 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

UK Fuel Shortage Leads To 1,600% Surge In EV Online Searches

Online interest for electric cars exploded to 16 times the average volume in a single day

In case you haven’t read international news recently, the UK is going through a massive gasoline and diesel fuel shortage, apparently because the country no longer has enough truck drivers to supply gas stations after Brexit.

This has led to enormous lines at gas stations across the country and a general sense of frustration among owners of ICE-powered cars. Because of panic buying, most stations restricted orders and closed their forecourts.

It has also caused a massive spike in online searches for electric cars. Analysis of Google search data reveals that EV online searches exploded 1,600% on September 24, the day when gas station fuel shortages became a widespread phenomenon across the country.

According to an analysis commissioned by Carguide, online interest for electric cars skyrocketed to 16 times the average volume in one day in an unprecedented spike in interest for EVs.

https://insideevs.com/news/536914/fuel-shortage-ev-online-searches/

Hey, I am interested in EVs myself...but do not hold your breath for my actual purchase of an EV.

It falls under the category of "Interesting But Not Compelling".

China's Guangdong to ban new coal-fired power plants and plant expansions

China's Guangdong province will ban the construction or expansion of coal-fired power plants and company-owned captive power stations anywhere in the province as part of a wider crackdown on energy-intensive industries, the provincial regulator Guangdong Development and Reform Commission said in a notice dated Sept. 26.

The move by one of China's most industrialized provinces underscores the pace of power sector decarbonization in the country and is likely one of the first crackdowns of its kind on the blanket construction and expansion of coal-fired capacity by a major province.

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/energy-transition/092821-chinas-guangdong-to-ban-new-coal-fired-power-plants-and-plant-expansions

• Upvote 1

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

China's Guangdong to ban new coal-fired power plants and plant expansions

China's Guangdong province will ban the construction or expansion of coal-fired power plants and company-owned captive power stations anywhere in the province as part of a wider crackdown on energy-intensive industries, the provincial regulator Guangdong Development and Reform Commission said in a notice dated Sept. 26.

The move by one of China's most industrialized provinces underscores the pace of power sector decarbonization in the country and is likely one of the first crackdowns of its kind on the blanket construction and expansion of coal-fired capacity by a major province.

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/energy-transition/092821-chinas-guangdong-to-ban-new-coal-fired-power-plants-and-plant-expansions

Read the fine print, Jay. 

"The GDRC's policy, if implemented, could lead to a significant shift toward alternative fuels like renewables and gas-fired power generation in one of China's largest gas-fired power producing provinces."

Looks like they love NG generated electricity.

Edited by Ecocharger

1 minute ago, Ecocharger said:

Hey, I am interested in EVs myself...but do not hold your breath for my actual purchase of an EV.

It falls under the category of "Interesting But Not Compelling".

HaHa, That is no doubt why EV sales in the UK have doubled in the past year. EV's are hot! Especially when you can't get gas for your fossil car.

(edited)

17 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Same difference, the electricity needed for NG generators was cut off, resulting in all around disaster....the result of disastrous planning errors. In other words, it SHOULD have been on the critical infrastructure list, and its absence from that list was a gigantic snafu which resulted in the backup system being pulled down by the failure of renewables.

I take it you have little operating knowledge concerning electrical generating stations.

We will have to agree to disagree about root causes.

That said, a fuel supply disruption to a nat gas generator ain't the same as a supposed "electricity cut off" to a generating station,   PARTICULARLY WHEN SAID GENERATING STATION IS OPERATING AND SUPPLYING IT'S OWN HOUSE POWER! 

Edited by turbguy

2 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Read the fine print, Jay. 

"The GDRC's policy, if implemented, could lead to a significant shift toward alternative fuels like renewables and gas-fired power generation in one of China's largest gas-fired power producing provinces."

Looks like they love NG generated electricity.

and renewables which it says in the same sentence. You really do like misrepresenting information don't you.

(edited)

A realistic appraisal of oil demand going forward,

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/OPEC-Sees-Global-Oil-Demand-Growing-Until-2035.html

"OPEC: Global oil demand is expected to continue to grow into the mid-2030s to 108 million barrels per day. OPEC sees oil demand growing “strongly” in the short- and medium-term before demand plateaus in the long term. Despite the expected plateauing in oil demand after 2035, oil will still be the number one energy source in 2045"

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

4 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

and renewables which it says in the same sentence. You really do like misrepresenting information don't you.

Compare the two in relative terms, Jay...and going forward.

Try not to be too selective with your own articles, Jay, it looks silly.

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

7 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

HaHa, That is no doubt why EV sales in the UK have doubled in the past year. EV's are hot! Especially when you can't get gas for your fossil car.

As a percentage of the total vehicle sales and stock, EVs are still miniscule, Jay.  A tempest in a teapot, to borrow a common UK phrase.

A sales figure of 2 is a 100% increase over a sales figure of 1.

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

9 minutes ago, turbguy said:

I take it you have little operating knowledge concerning electrical generating stations.

We will have to agree to disagree about root causes.

That said, a fuel supply disruption to a nat gas generator ain't the same as a supposed "electricity cut off" to a generating station,   PARTICULARLY WHEN SAID GENERATING STATION IS OPERATING AND SUPPLYING IT'S OWN HOUSE POWER! 

Read the report. It was a central problem.

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

24 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Read the report.

God, which one?

How about this summary?

"FERC said the biggest factors contributing to power plants failing were the lack of weatherization of critical equipment and natural gas supply issues at power plants. Nearly 58 percent of the power generators that went offline during the storm were natural gas plants"

Nat gas at 5" to 10" of water pressure works fine for a stove or a furnace, and even a small recip.   It is about 200 (or more) psig too low to shove fuel into a CT.

Edited by turbguy
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

As a percentage of the total vehicle sales and stock, EVs are still miniscule, Jay.  A tempest in a teapot, to borrow a common UK phrase.

A sales figure of 2 is a 100% increase over a sales figure of 1.

Except that UK new car EV sales are not at 2 they are at 18% market share. They will be 50% by the end of next year. Then they will be 100% a couple years later and ICE will begin fading away. What you call a tempest in a teapot will be remembered in economic history as the great EV disruption.

(edited)

On 9/27/2021 at 10:42 PM, Ecocharger said:

We went over that already...the NG system failed because it was cut off from electrical supply by the failure of the renewables. That was established in the investigation.....nice try for a spin in the other direction.

Did you even pass the first grade or were all of you promotions social promotions.  NERC staff is quite explicit about who was responsible for event at 0130 on 15 Feb that pushed the system over the ledge.

Edited by nsdp
grammar
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

30 minutes ago, nsdp said:

Did you even pass the first grade or were all of you promotions social promotions.  NERC staff is quite explicit about who was responsible for event at 0130 on 15 Feb that pushed the system over the ledge.

Yup.

After seeing ERCOT's system frequency vs time chart (with unit trip points) for the "event", it didn't take much for me to come to the same conclusions...

If posters want to point fingers, point them right at THE TEXAS RAILROAD COMMISSION!  What would it take adding power backup and weatherization to the nat gas system cost?  About 10-20 cents per million BTU's?

Then point at the generating plant owners and the PUC, that didn't pay attention to the 2011 occurrence.

They were really close to a grid collapse. 

I hope they test what black start units they have with reasonable frequency and under challenging conditions.   A black start unit that doesn't, ain't of much use.

Edited by turbguy
  • Great Response! 1

India To See Sudden Spike In EV Adoption

In fact, the subcontinent’s demand for EVs for commercial use alone is expected to increase a stunning 15-fold in the next six months alone. The sudden spike in uptake is being fuelled by the confluence of a number of factors including rising fuel prices, lower EV prices, government support and incentives, and the electrification of fleets for ecommerce delivery.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/India-To-See-Sudden-Spike-In-EV-Adoption.html

(edited)

On 9/27/2021 at 11:02 PM, turbguy said:

FACT:

While wind supply was curtailed due to icing issues, the "renewable system" produced about the correct amount of power predicted by ERCOT during that event.

FACT:

Nat gas and coal failed, primarily due to fuel supply issues and plant failures due to extreme cold weather.

FACT:

Nat gas demand went sky-high, just when it was severely curtailed due to well, processing plant, and pipeline distribution cold weather issues, along with lack of attention by those suppliers to notify ERCOT/utilities they were "critical infrastructure".

FACT:

One South Texas Nuclear tripped due to an instrumentation line freeze-up.

FACT:

ERCOT is not isolated from other grids.  There are a few non-synchronous ties to other grids.  <eighboring grids were also stressed, and had little to no extra power to share.

FACT:

If Texas does not make significant changes to the system and policies, it WILL happen gas processing plants in the Permian.

There are open 230Kv switches at Midland and Borden County that ERCOT chose not to close SPS tie and open ERCOT tie and transfer load to SPS 24 hours AFTER SPS returned to normal.   Would have restored power to two processing plants 48 hours earlier.  I am still not sure about the run back on Oklaunion HVDC but suspect that's the same reason Throckmorton wind farm could not operate. It will be interesting to see what the final report detail shows. In 2011 freeze was Feb 1-4. Final NERC /FERC report was Sept 11.  I finished my section on EPE on August 15.  Wonder how long final report will take this time and wonder if the PUCT and ERCOT will have to worry about 18 USC Ch. 73.   Wonder if someone here is aiding and abetting or is an accessory .

Also wonder if any one at ERCOT or PUCT thought about False Claims Act for leaving the price at $9k for an extra 32 hours.  A man could retire very comfortably on the  reward share of a Qui Tam suit for overcharging federal facilitates during  the last 32 hours.

Edited by nsdp
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nsdp said:

Wonder if someone here is aiding and abetting or is an accessory .

Most here don't have a clue...

(edited)

42 minutes ago, nsdp said:

Also wonder if any one at ERCOT or PUCT thought about False Claims Act for leaving the price at $9k for an extra 32 hours.  A man could retire very comfortably on the  reward share of a Qui Tam suit for overcharging federal facilitates during  the last 32 hours.

Ahhh,,,"Lincoln's Law."

Didn't think about that path.

Depends on the suppler.  Hopefully it wasn't Gridy.

Go ahead and apply!!

A free market works, until it doesn't.

Edited by turbguy

On 9/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, ronwagn said:

Jay  has a good education in how to hustle wind turbines and get government subsidies. 

Hey now, that hustling paid my salary for about 3+ years over a 5 year period...🙄

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 9:07 PM, turbguy said:

Sounds more like an economic issue to me.  They have the generating capacity, just really expensive fuel that generators loose money on. 

If they are being forced to switch to "local coal" rather than imports, that could cause generating plant operating issues.  Not certain about that.

My understanding was the import was higher specific heat input coal and local coal is medium/low grade heat coal so even if one switches they are obtaining ~15% less electricity per plant.  Likewise, the electrical plant operators are working on fixed price contract they MUST supply power at and since coal imports for Oz are verboten, cost of coal went WAAAAAYYYYY up bankrupting the generation plants, so their solution is to limit power output as they are MANDATED by government fiat to operate, but technically, are "independent" of central authority, and yet still part of the CCP hierarchy..... Got me, my head exploded after reading for 5 minutes and life was too short to read the rest....

7 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

My understanding was the import was higher specific heat input coal and local coal is medium/low grade heat coal so even if one switches they are obtaining ~15% less electricity per plant.  Likewise, the electrical plant operators are working on fixed price contract they MUST supply power at and since coal imports for Oz are verboten, cost of coal went WAAAAAYYYYY up bankrupting the generation plants, so their solution is to limit power output as they are MANDATED by government fiat to operate, but technically, are "independent" of central authority, and yet still part of the CCP hierarchy..... Got me, my head exploded after reading for 5 minutes and life was too short to read the rest....

I am not aware of the local coal's properties.  With a lower heating value, you make up by shoving more into the furnace (limited by coal handling and pulverizing capabilities).

I am more concerned about high ash loads, and ash fusion temperatures, giving boiler wear and fouling issues that can be difficult to deal with.

9 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

What has caused China’s electricity shortages, and is Beijing’s carbon-neutral goal solely to blame?

• Sixteen of mainland China’s 31 provincial-level jurisdictions are rationing electricity as they race to meet Beijing’s annual emissions reduction targets

Non-negotiable carbon reduction targets have forced many local provincial governments in China to impose rushed measures such as widespread power cuts, although an urgent shortage of coal has also emerged as a likely reason for the power supply crunch that is sweeping the nation.
https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3150313/what-has-caused-chinas-electricity-shortages-and-beijings

It matters not the topic but a handful of rednecks can’t seem to find the truth anywhere.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:20 AM, Eric Gagen said:

??? Not sure I understand where you are coming from.  Nobody is enforcing a new energy mode, at least in Texas.  Wind and solar farms are going up for good old fashioned reasons:  the investors can make money.  The solar business in west Texas in particular is about to get really interesting.  It’s a very sunny and windy area and most of the current electric grid is powered by wind, and natural gas (in that order) it might be the first large scale section of a developed world grid to get the majority of its electricity from wind and solar within the next few years.

new energy modes referred to solar and wind power. They are getting popular with large scale promotion very recently around 2010 or 2015........

I am not an engineer. I have a few questions out of curiosity.........

The design of modern wind turbine is different from the old wind mill common in Netherlands. Correct me if wrong............. The sharp/ narrow edge might be a deduction from p = F/A, i.e. the smaller the surface area, the stronger the pressure. From a diagram, the height could range from 20m to 160m.

1. At what minimal pressure point hitting the surface area of a pin size turbine blade would it turn? Would that location always achieve this minimal pressure required?

2. wind is generated when hot air rises and cool air refills the space left behind by the arisen  hot air.

hot air is generally generated by heated land masses, natural or man made.

cool air is generally generated by heated water masses, natural or man made, or from higher altitude (temperature decreases by one degree celcius per 100 m elevation). If cyclone always started from the surface of a water body or land near the water body, it might mean the exchange of air happens at low position?? We human experience wind around 1 to 2m. Wondering if those heights of the existing wind turbines too high to be reached by the wind??

Could these two factors the reasons why the efficiency is reported around  15 to 20% only?