JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

Let's check in with Texas and see how they are doing.

Solar wind passed coal some time ago, look to be passing gas :0 later this decade.

image.thumb.png.b1bb593650535fa246d128b65f59513f.png

(edited)

35 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Let's check in with Texas and see how they are doing.

Solar wind passed coal some time ago, look to be passing gas :0 later this decade.

image.thumb.png.b1bb593650535fa246d128b65f59513f.png

More overreliance on the least reliable. Set-up for more trouble.

Next time, let's hope that they don't shut off electricity support for the NG backup system supplies.

No, they just couldn't do that again....

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

4 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

They were cut off. Read the report.

I read this report.

https://ferc.gov/february-2021-cold-weather-grid-operations-preliminary-findings-and-recommendations

NO WHERE DO I SEE THAT ELECTRIC SERVICE WAS INTERRUPTED TO GENERATING UNITS.

If you feel I am in error, please point that out.

A Nat Gas Generator is a, electric power generation plant.

A Nat Gas supplier (well, collection, processing, compression, pipeline, distribution) is NOT a Nat Gas Generator.

A simple piece of paper could have avoided SOOOO much of this event.

Texas Railroad Commission, are you listening?

(or did them make too much in the windfall)?

Edited by turbguy
  • Upvote 1

We’re gonna be seeing more renewables along with grid storage. In a few years there will be millions of batteries in cars also hooked to the grid. The decade of giga batteries being built is here. 

13 hours ago, nsdp said:

What NERC is saying is that 60% of NG generation had already several  failure to perform incidents BEFORE 2359 hours on the 14th. Some units had multiple failures to start. Several had failed the previous week. I   hope you have that wired so it cannot backfeed into the grid. The Railroad Commission Rules will keep the gas on until there is no gas left in the pipeline.  We had that problem back in 1973.

It works like a champ.  It has a shutoff switch from the grid.  The transition back to the grid is seamless, the only way you know it happened is you don't hear the generator running after a while.  We had a big thunderstorm last weekend and power went out twice for about thirty minutes.  The on transition takes about 5-10 seconds.  

generatorswitch.jpg

(edited)

2 hours ago, wrs said:

It works like a champ.  It has a shutoff switch from the grid.  The transition back to the grid is seamless, the only way you know it happened is you don't hear the generator running after a while.  We had a big thunderstorm last weekend and power went out twice for about thirty minutes.  The on transition takes about 5-10 seconds.  

generatorswitch.jpg

Nealy the same GENERAC as mine.

After detecting no grid power for about 10 seconds, it fires up and warms for another 10 seconds, the an auto-transfer switch kicks over, disconnecting selected circuits (depends on set-up) from the grid and transferring to the GENERAC.  Mine runs the gas furnace, well pump, refridge and freezer, selected lighting,Garage doors, internet and TV.  It will not support AC (don't need it much) or the electric oven.

After detecting several seconds of firm grid return, it transfers back to the grid supply, runs about a minute to cool, down, then stops until the next "event".

Gotta change the oil in mine today.

Edited by turbguy
  • Upvote 1

On 9/30/2021 at 3:03 AM, Ecocharger said:

Again, you ignore second-hand vehicle sales which is a gigantic market for ICE. Overall your stock percentage is miniscule and not even worth reporting, judging by your persistent dead silence on the issue. Probably less than 1%, a joke.

You are just spinning jokes again, Jay.

Most makes of EV's and hybrids are like rocking horse sh*t in the UK at present due to demand. You can easily be on a waiting list 9 months to a year.

You are correct that second hand sales are almost 100% ICE but surely in 2-3 years time that is also going to massively change.

(edited)

The bottom line....oil production will continue to increase into the foreseeable future, perhaps as a smaller percentage of the overall energy mix, but still growing in absolute terms. This is a no-doubter.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Saudi-Arabia-To-Boost-Oil-Production-Capacity-To-13-Million-Bpd-in-2027.html

"The Saudi giant, the world’s biggest oil firm and the largest oil exporter globally, is working as fast as it can to reach that production capacity expansion, the executive said, as reported by Casey Merriman, Editorial Director at Energy Intelligence. Upstream investment has a long lead time, Nasser noted. Aramco’s CEO has often warned the market that the industry is underinvesting in new oil supply, which, regardless of many scenarios, will continue to be needed for decades. Currently, oil demand is strong, Nasser said at the forum, expecting 99 million bpd by the end of 2021 and more than 100 million bpd in 2022. Moreover, one of the International Energy Agency’s scenarios of oil demand at just 24 million bpd in 2050 under one of the IEA’s net-zero pathways is “not feasible,” Aramco’s chief executive added. “We still expect growth in oil demand,” Nasser said. “We maintain 25-year production profiles for new projects. Our philosophy is to provide cleaner oil and gas for the long term. We are developing it for the long term, not the short term,” the top executive at the Saudi oil giant said."

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

11 hours ago, turbguy said:

I read this report.

https://ferc.gov/february-2021-cold-weather-grid-operations-preliminary-findings-and-recommendations

NO WHERE DO I SEE THAT ELECTRIC SERVICE WAS INTERRUPTED TO GENERATING UNITS.

If you feel I am in error, please point that out.

A Nat Gas Generator is a, electric power generation plant.

A Nat Gas supplier (well, collection, processing, compression, pipeline, distribution) is NOT a Nat Gas Generator.

A simple piece of paper could have avoided SOOOO much of this event.

Texas Railroad Commission, are you listening?

(or did them make too much in the windfall)?

No, the NG pipelines are part of the NG backup system, there is no way for you to talk your way around that. The problem here was in not classifying the NG backup system as an essential infrastructure, that is clearly spelled out in the report...or have you not read the report I referenced above?

Here is the key passage,

https://oglinks.news/usa/news/texas-power-grid-hearings-natural-gas-suppliers-power-plants

"Critics say Abbott appointees gutted enforcement of Texas power grid rules. Grant Ruckel, vice president of government affairs at pipeline company Energy Transfer, testified that the biggest failure during the disaster was cutting power to gas pipelines, many of which are not listed as essential services, a designation made for hospitals and other critical infrastructure. About half of the gas pipelines use electricity in their compressors, about half use natural gas in compressors and a few use diesel fuel, said Christi Craddick, chair of the Texas Railroad Commission, which oversees the oil and gas industry. “How could we let those compressors be part of the blackout if there is a process for critical load and essential services?” said Rep. Eddie Lucio III, D-Brownsville. “How did that slip through the cracks and then allow generation plants to fail? That is just baffling to me.” Craddick said she was not aware before this week that operators could register as essential services through the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, known as ERCOT. “I didn’t know that was an opportunity. We’d never been told that as an agency, to my knowledge,”"

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Boat said:

We’re gonna be seeing more renewables along with grid storage. In a few years there will be millions of batteries in cars also hooked to the grid. The decade of giga batteries being built is here. 

Dreams, dreams.....

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Most makes of EV's and hybrids are like rocking horse sh*t in the UK at present due to demand. You can easily be on a waiting list 9 months to a year.

You are correct that second hand sales are almost 100% ICE but surely in 2-3 years time that is also going to massively change.

It may not change, partly because second-hand EVs have some worn out batteries which require very expensive replacement at some point. That factors into consumer calculations for the cost of these things.

France Jumps Above 20% Plugin EV Share In September

France, Europe’s second largest auto market, saw plugin electric vehicle share jump up to a record 21.5% in September, over twice the 10.6% share seen a year ago. 

September-2021-France-Passenger-Auto-Registrations-2.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

France Jumps Above 20% Plugin EV Share In September

France, Europe’s second largest auto market, saw plugin electric vehicle share jump up to a record 21.5% in September, over twice the 10.6% share seen a year ago. 

September-2021-France-Passenger-Auto-Registrations-2.png

Again, Jay, this is only current sales, not vehicle stock, where EVs are still a tiny miniscule percentage of total vehicles. And if you add in second-hand markets, the internal combustion vehicles completely dwarf the EV sales figures.....not impressive for the EV cause.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Again, Jay, this is only current sales, not vehicle stock, where EVs are still a tiny miniscule percentage of total vehicles. And if you add in second-hand markets, the internal combustion vehicles completely dwarf the EV sales figures.....not impressive for the EV cause.

Said the buggy whip investor when horseless carriages reached 20% of the new carriage market.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

The bottom line....oil production will continue to increase into the foreseeable future, perhaps as a smaller percentage of the overall energy mix, but still growing in absolute terms. This is a no-doubter.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Saudi-Arabia-To-Boost-Oil-Production-Capacity-To-13-Million-Bpd-in-2027.html

"The Saudi giant, the world’s biggest oil firm and the largest oil exporter globally, is working as fast as it can to reach that production capacity expansion, the executive said, as reported by Casey Merriman, Editorial Director at Energy Intelligence. Upstream investment has a long lead time, Nasser noted. Aramco’s CEO has often warned the market that the industry is underinvesting in new oil supply, which, regardless of many scenarios, will continue to be needed for decades. Currently, oil demand is strong, Nasser said at the forum, expecting 99 million bpd by the end of 2021 and more than 100 million bpd in 2022. Moreover, one of the International Energy Agency’s scenarios of oil demand at just 24 million bpd in 2050 under one of the IEA’s net-zero pathways is “not feasible,” Aramco’s chief executive added. “We still expect growth in oil demand,” Nasser said. “We maintain 25-year production profiles for new projects. Our philosophy is to provide cleaner oil and gas for the long term. We are developing it for the long term, not the short term,” the top executive at the Saudi oil giant said."

A  Saudi desperate for money can say anything and you will believe it. Pay attention to that 24 million bdp scenario, it is very feasible.

(edited)

On 10/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, Ecocharger said:

The problem is that in a period of high demand for energy, the basic sources of energy are being cut down due to world-wide climate panic, fueled by defective climate models. Investment in oil, NG, coal supplies has been strangulated by political factors related to climate panic, and this is creating the energy crisis we are now entering.

I am hoping that American voters will not stand for the high energy prices which we have caused by demonizing natural gas and subsidizing renewables. Renewables must stand on their own two feet. Illinois, where I live, is continuing coal use and subsidizing old nuclear plants for the forseeable future. This under a very Blue state government. We have our own natural gas fields but they are not tapped. This is how these politicians get funded. We do have windfarms going up and that might fill the need by then, but at what cost?

Edited by ronwagn
add
  • Upvote 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:09 AM, wrs said:

The ice storm was on the 12th here in Austin and I believe either earlier that day or the day before out West.  We lost power for 30 hours due to ice but didn't lose it during the enforced blackout.  Our NG service was fine the whole time or we would have frozen.  I now have a NG generator hooked up which has already had to kick on twice since being fired up in August.  I think NG is going to be the most reliable utility.  

generator22kw.jpg

I just discussed getting a Generac with my wife. We have a small generator. We are also thinking of getting a propane tank to boot. I would have to have my small decorative heating stove switched to propane to use it though. It has two separate connections. We have a large pumping station twenty miles away. It really sounds like overkill. Opinions welcome. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

No, the NG pipelines are part of the NG backup system, there is no way for you to talk your way around that. The problem here was in not classifying the NG backup system as an essential infrastructure, that is clearly spelled out in the report...or have you not read the report I referenced above?

Here is the key passage,

https://oglinks.news/usa/news/texas-power-grid-hearings-natural-gas-suppliers-power-plants

"Critics say Abbott appointees gutted enforcement of Texas power grid rules. Grant Ruckel, vice president of government affairs at pipeline company Energy Transfer, testified that the biggest failure during the disaster was cutting power to gas pipelines, many of which are not listed as essential services, a designation made for hospitals and other critical infrastructure. About half of the gas pipelines use electricity in their compressors, about half use natural gas in compressors and a few use diesel fuel, said Christi Craddick, chair of the Texas Railroad Commission, which oversees the oil and gas industry. “How could we let those compressors be part of the blackout if there is a process for critical load and essential services?” said Rep. Eddie Lucio III, D-Brownsville. “How did that slip through the cracks and then allow generation plants to fail? That is just baffling to me.” Craddick said she was not aware before this week that operators could register as essential services through the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, known as ERCOT. “I didn’t know that was an opportunity. We’d never been told that as an agency, to my knowledge,”"

THAT is not a "report".

It is an "article".

You said nat gas GENERATORS were CUT OFF from electricity.

THAT is NOT true!

If you want to say that nat gas SUPPLIERS were cut off, as part of grid stabilization, that is probably true.

So EASILY avoided by submitting a piece of paper!

8 minutes ago, turbguy said:

THAT is not a "report".

It is an "article".

THAT is NOT true!

If you want to say that nat gas SUPPLIERS were cut off, as part of grid stabilization, that is probably true.

Sensitivity training perhaps? Or maybe just a aspirin.

1 hour ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Asprin.

(edited)

Looks like EV sales are hitting a speed bump in Norway, which will also spread to other countries. It's called "taxes".

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Norways-Planned-Luxury-EV-Tax-Could-Slow-Sales-Of-High-End-Models.html

"...a 25-percent value added tax (VAT), because subsidies cannot be handed out forever and because the state needs those revenues.  So, under the proposal, EVs that cost more than $69,420 (600,000 Norwegian crowns) could become subject of that tax. This, analysts and EV associations say, would hit the Tesla S and X models, as well as those of Porsche, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz.  An easing of the government subsidies could slow sales and Norway’s target of phasing out sales of gasoline and diesel cars in 2025.  If Norway’s next government adopts the tax on luxury EVs, it could set a trend worldwide, Sebastian Toma of autoevolution notes. "

Edited by Ecocharger

1 hour ago, turbguy said:

Asprin.

I don't think asprin will cure stupidity or greed.

Notice the Interstate portion of old Lone Star never had any problems  or Atmos customers or Gas Company of New Mexico. here' why

18 CFR Part 281 - NATURAL GAS CURTAILMENT UNDER THE NATURAL GAS POLICY ACT OF 1978

they have plan updated every year.

(edited)

3 hours ago, turbguy said:

THAT is not a "report".

It is an "article".

THAT is NOT true!

Read the report...NG PIPELINES were shut down because of electricity cutoffs. NG pipelines are part of the NG generator backup system. How do think that NG gets into the generators..by bucket? Sorry, you need a pipeline to do that. What part of that escapes you? There is no way you can talk your way around this, the failure to classify NG pipelines as essential infrastructure meant that the electricity needed for NG pipelines was terminated and NG generators were shut down.

NOT easily avoided, as the people running the system were unaware of any exemptions, and the "papers" you refer to were not exemption declarations, but applications to be considered for exempt status. That all takes time, and since no one was informed about the procedure, no one was making any applications. 

All of this was caused by anti-fossil fuel mania generated by climate panic propaganda. 

Edited by Ecocharger

2 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

How about a stupidity test that you have to pass before you are allowed to post. 

Generators get power from their own transformers (self supply) not the grid.UNLESS some fool in dispatch disconnected them during black start. .