JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/december-11-2022

An excellent (and brief) synopsis of the recent history of the Keystone pipeline, XL pipeline, and DAP. Here is the concluding paragraph:

"It is poetic timing. On Friday, as part of their yearlong investigation of the fossil fuel industry, the House Committee on Oversight and Reform released documents from executives at major oil companies revealing that they recognize that their products are creating a climate emergency but that they have no real plans for changing course."

(edited)

Fusion energy breakthrough by US scientists boosts clean power hopes

Net energy produced in fusion reaction!

Massive breakthrough in nuclear fusion achieved! A step closer to clean energy, US set to make announcement (msn.com)

https://www.ft.com/content/4b6f0fab-66ef-4e33-adec-cfc345589dc7

That a major breakthrough!!

Edited by Rob Plant
  • Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Massive breakthrough in nuclear fusion achieved! A step closer to clean energy, US set to make announcement (msn.com)

Yes, this could be a step in the "right direction". 

Be aware this technique is literally the equivalent of setting off a miniature hydrogen bomb within a highly advanced chamber.

I think there's a few more steps to achieve before any usable heat can be extracted.

Particularly if you want a continuous supply of usable heat.

And, if ultimately used to "fuel" a heat engine, you throw away about 50% of that heat to a sink.

Edited by turbguy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Eco thats just not true at all. There are loads of warnings that you are running low, in fact most EV's ask you if you want to run at a lower speed/reduced acceleration to conserve range so you wont run out of battery, I bet your FF car doesnt do that, you'll just get a warning light when you hit 50 miles left and thats your lot.

I have never run out of gas on the road, but I know that many people do that. It will be the same for EVs because you cannot plan your trips where there will be EV charging stations, in some areas they are non-existent.

2 hours ago, Polyphia said:

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/december-11-2022

An excellent (and brief) synopsis of the recent history of the Keystone pipeline, XL pipeline, and DAP. Here is the concluding paragraph:

"It is poetic timing. On Friday, as part of their yearlong investigation of the fossil fuel industry, the House Committee on Oversight and Reform released documents from executives at major oil companies revealing that they recognize that their products are creating a climate emergency but that they have no real plans for changing course."

That is of no significance. If you and I agree that pink elephants have invaded the White House, it means nothing unless the story is actually true. There is no liability unless the facts are true, you cannot be charged with concealing a false story.

1 minute ago, Ecocharger said:

I have never run out of gas on the road, but I know that many people do that. It will be the same for EVs because you cannot plan your trips where there will be EV charging stations, in some areas they are non-existent.

N.America ia very very different due to the distances you have to cover but when I said that last time I was lambasted by lots on here saying that the average commute was about 30 miles so it was largely irrelevant. It wouldnt be irrelevant to me now and I live in the UK!!

Anyway I'm not up to speed on how good/bad the EV charging infrastructure is over there, over here its not really a problem and mostly you charge overnight.

(edited)

47 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

EVs have a computer in them that does the route planning with the charging stops and locations. Numerous online apps and services also provide this service. Here is one of the most popular https://abetterrouteplanner.com/  

Or is that too difficult for you?

Edited by Jay McKinsey

15 hours ago, Ecocharger said:

Jay, you are giving us "weather", not climate.

Here is some real climatology, showing how we are getting a colder than normal winter coming up and already developing.

Get out your mittens and ear-muffs.

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/snow-extent-northern-hemisphere-highest-56-years-winter-cold-rrc/

Climate is long term, one season is not long term. I posted weather and you posted weather.

7 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Climate is long term, one season is not long term. I posted weather and you posted weather.

Not so, Jay, there are several sections of the article looking at multi-year trends, including this, which puts the kibosh on Green Dreams,

"FALL SNOW EXTENT IS INCREASING LATELY

Apparently, what we are observing this year seems to fit with the recent trend in Fall Snow Extent observed both in North America and Eurasia. As can be seen from the images below showing the snow extent in Eurasia, in the late 1960s the average was slightly above 10 million square kilometers, while now increased by about 1 million square kilometers in Eurasia."

https://www.theepochtimes.com/jamie-dimon-says-america-needs-a-marshall-plan-for-energy-with-more-fossil-fuel-production_4918619.html?utm_medium=EpochCinema&utm_source=EET/ENTD&utm_campaign=TheFinalWar&utm_content=11-12-2022

Jamie Dimon Says America Needs a ‘Marshall Plan for Energy’ With More Fossil Fuel Production

By Bryan Jung

December 12, 2022 Updated: December 12, 2022

0:008:44

Jamie Dimon, the CEO of JPMorgan Chase, says America needs a ‘Marshall Plan for energy’ to significantly boost domestic energy production, as oil and natural gas costs rise.

Dimon repeated his call to build up American energy infrastructure while speaking at a panel on CBS’s Face the Nation, on Dec. 11.

The Marshall Plan, named after its brainchild George C. Marshall, the former U.S. Army chief of staff and U.S. secretary of state, was a massive investment effort funded solely by the United States after the Second World War to rebuild a devastated Europe.

The program, which cost the United States the equivalent of more than $100 billion, helped Western Europe rebuild and modernize its economy and prevented Soviet influence from taking root there in the early stages of the Cold War.

Dimon told President Joe Biden back in March, at a White House business roundtable conference, that the United States and the European Union (EU) needed to achieve energy independence, especially after the Russian war in Ukraine.

Dimon said that American military policy and economic policy, including trade, needs to be transformed for national security and due to competition from countries like China.

The EU is heavily reliant on Russian oil and natural gas imports, with prices spiking both in Europe and in the United States due to the Russia–Ukraine war and the ensuing sanctions imposed on Russia.

Dimon Demands More Action From the Biden Administration on Energy Policy

At a White House meeting in March, Dimon called for more liquefied natural gas (LNG) facilities to be built in the EU, reduced reliance on Russian energy imports, and investments in new energy technology, such as hydrogen cells.

He told Biden that higher energy costs were a major factor behind high inflation, and that left unchecked could trigger a recession.

A new Marshall plan would consist of increasing domestic production of oil and natural gas as well as improving alternative energy extraction from solar, wind, hydrogen, and other “green” energy sources.

However, at the same time, the Biden administration has reduced investment in traditional forms of energy at home in order to reduce America’s reliance on fossil fuels in the name of fighting climate change.

Biden has been touting the promotion of electric cars and green energy, with an added boost from the Inflation Reduction Act, which was passed in August.

“On the energy front, we need secure, reliable, cheap oil and gas,” Dimon told Face the Nation.

“The problem—a lot of people think that oil and gas prices being high is good for CO2. It’s not. So, cheap, reliable … you’re looking to Germany, I mean, the Europeans are terrified. Their … their energy prices are two, three, four, five times ours, which is hurting consumers, which the governments have to do something about, and it’s hurting businesses, you know?”

High Energy Costs Are Pushing the World Economy Into Recession

Dimon said that Europe is going through a recession due to high fuel prices and that the Russian war in Ukraine is having a serious impact on food prices around the world.

He also told the panel that Europeans are taking the war in Ukraine and the food and energy crisis more seriously than the Americans due to their proximity to Russia.

Although Europe will get through the winter, the EU policymakers should be “definitely be preparing for it to get much worse,” as the oil and gas shortage will continue for years, he said.

Dimon noted that an increase in energy investments will lead to lower prices overall as a benefit from more production.

The JPMorgan CEO said that carbon emissions were going up because both rich and poor countries around the world were turning their coal plants back on due to the expensive rise in gas and oil, and that their economies cannot survive without energy.

He said that natural gas is the best and cleanest way to reduce dependence on coal and reduce CO2 emissions and that a “really thoughtful policy, comprehensive policy, will get us there.”

Dimon Defends Energy Industry From Accusations of Price Gouging, Calls for More Leasing for Drilling

President Biden has blamed price inflation on corporate profits and on Russian President Vladimir Putin’s war in Ukraine, which led to a disruption in fuel supplies.

Dimon criticized Biden’s proposed excise profit tax on the energy industry, and told the CBS panel that energy costs were not high because of price gouging but because of the dramatic decline in investments in energy.

The bank CEO said that the administration’s continued reluctance to issue gas and oil drilling permits on federally leased lands has resulted in reduced supply, especially in times of rising demand.

He said that lenders are reluctant to assist the oil companies in making those investments due to White House energy policy.

Investors are putting a lot of pressure on the energy industry to go “green,” but not to invest too much capital where they’re not making a profit with oil at a high price, Dimon said.

“We need to build grids. You know … we don’t get permissions to … permits to build … build grids,” he complained, referring to the Biden administration’s lackluster policies.

“One of the deals that was done between the president and [Sen.] Joe Manchin [D-W. Va.] was the permitting bill. That permitting bill is for pipelines we need to get gas to Louisiana, to get that Louisiana gas to Europe to help our allies and reduce the costs there.”

“That also reduces their coal usage. So, it’s very green, if you look at it, on the margin. And so it gets … it gets very complicated, and we just need to do the work.” continued Dimon.

Energy prices have dropped considerably since their peak in June due to a slow down in China’s economy and Europe’s recession—and a global recession will bring the future price of oil down even further, said Dimon, but he believes that downturn will eventually reverse in a recovery.

He said that the underinvestment in oil and gas will hurt the United States “two or three years out,” but the country still has time.

“I’m hoping the administration … they’re looking at all these issues. I have spoken to John Podesta, who now runs the IRA [Inflation Reduction Act], about what we can do to accelerate … to reduce CO2, but have better, cheaper, more secure energy, not just for us, but for our … particularly allies around the world,” Dimon said.

Meanwhile, approximately 24 North American LNG export projects are now under development to meet the goals for increased gas supplies, for domestic consumption or for export, by the end of the decade, said consultancy group Wood MacKenzie.

A Green Marshall Plan Is Picking Up Steam Among the US and Its Allies

The new Marshall Plan for energy has been picking up steam among the West’s policy establishment.

According to the German Marshall Fund, investments in the energy sector regarding cleaner sources of energy will need to increase from around $2 trillion to almost $5 trillion a year by 2030, and stabilize at that level until 2050 to make Paris Agreement climate targets.

“Massive amounts of capital are to be mobilized across all energy sources, carriers, and fuels, notably renewables and green hydrogen, in pertinent sectors including transport, power, and industry as well as for infrastructure, grids, or demand-side measures such as energy efficiency,” said the report.

Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm told the International Energy Agency back in March that: “I think it’s a moment for us to ask at this point in our history, what is going to be our version of the Marshall Plan for clean and secure energy in 2022 and beyond?”

The United States and the European Union are looking to reconcile climate policy with boosting energy security by curbing the greenhouse gas emissions from new LNG production as far as possible.

Policymakers on both sides are also preparing that new gas infrastructure will also be “hydrogen ready.”

Following
Bryan S. Jung is a native and resident of New York City with a background in politics and the legal industry. He graduated from Binghamton University.
  • Upvote 1

On 12/10/2022 at 11:18 PM, notsonice said:

who cares about the garbage posted on Breitbart...

Breitbart tells the truth. You can't handle the truth. You want to cancel the truth tellers. 

17 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

This is a mine for steel production not to produce electricity!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

EVs have a computer in them that does the route planning with the charging stops and locations. Numerous online apps and services also provide this service. Here is one of the most popular https://abetterrouteplanner.com/  

Or is that too difficult for you?

Jay, that same level of service is available in my fossil fuel car, with read-outs of miles remaining in the tank and exact location of fuel stations on the GPS, there is nothing special about your alleged planning app.

People still run out of gas on the road in spite of these planning facilities.

But with an EV, you have to dial a mobile charging station to come, and that will be very expensive.

(edited)

17 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

But with an EV, you have to dial a mobile charging station to come, and that will be very expensive.

Roadside assistance would most likely just tow your car to a fast charger rather than slow charge it on a highway...

Cost of a tow truck showing up with a jerry can is probably similar to a tow back to town.

You are imagining poor solutions to problems that don't exist.

Edited by TailingsPond
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

https://oilprice.com/Metals/Commodities/Is-The-Era-Of-Ever-Cheaper-Lithium-Batteries-Over.html 

There are a lot of factors that will increase prices of lithium batteries. Hybrids of various kinds may make more sense. Diesel electric locomotives are a good example of what can be done. A small ICE motor can power a generator and can run off of propane, ethanol, natural gas, hydrogen etc. A small lithium battery can be plugged in and filled overnight if it saves money. 

Edited by Ron Wagner

15 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

" Still a distant dream." per the author. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

@ronwagn why the rolling eye?

Are you against technological advancements the could potentially offer the world limitless energy?

A net energy gain in a fusion reaction if proved to be correct would be a major first and the first major step in harnessing this type of energy.

Did you even read the articles?

On 12/9/2022 at 7:04 AM, Ron Wagner said:

Jeroen, I try to keep government tariffs, rebates, and all such artificial factors out of consideration for logical reasons.

1. They change frequently. 

2. They vary by political jurisdiction, state, country, etc. 

3. I oppose all such things because they create an artificial economy that does not work properly. 

4. They force winners and losers according to government whim and false assumptions. 

5. New technology is always changing the underlying assumptions. 

My personal favorite fuel is natural gas. Preferably piped. That runs into national cooperation needs, but is the best way to go. Russia's aggression and blackmailing of Europe are a great example of problems. Those problems can be overcome over time. That is where LNG comes in. LNG is currently quite expensive because Europe did not prepare for the obvious threat from Russia until Ukraine was attacked. They had been warned by the United States all along.

LNG will become less expensive as time goes on, infrastructure grows, and more countries develop their resources of All Kinds, including wind and solar.

Petroleum and natural gas are both threatened by ESG but logic is taking over. Our President Biden is a big supporter of ESG for America but is willing to buy oil anywhere else and make it difficult to build pipelines in the USA. 

I contend that there are tremendous amounts of oil and gas available for development. Also biofuels such as ethanol, biodiesel, biogas from sewage and landfills etc. I believe that all forms of energy should compete on a level playing field so long as REAL pollution is under control. CO2 is not pollution. It is what plants need to grow optimally. Global Warming is a slow process that can be adapted to. Right now the biggest polluter is China which burns coal. India does also. Asia is where most people live and they will be greatly increasing their use of energy as they become more advanced and produce more.  

I agree that CO2 is not pollution per se. But at the same time CO2 is the thermostat of the earth. And whereas higher temperatures are not necessarily a big problem for earth on a whole, but mass migration and higher sea levels are. Someone will have to pay for rehousing and coastal protection, and would it not be fair that it would be paid for by the one causing it? To put it in perspective:

In total, humans have pumped around 2,500bn tonnes of CO2 (GtCO2) into the atmosphere since 1850. Of that, 20% was by the USA, 11% by China, Russia 7%, Brazil 5% and ever less down the line. 

(edited)

3 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

" Still a distant dream." per the author. 

Yes it probably is but it is still a major scientific breakthrough! yet you put a rolling eye on scientific advancement. Thats sad!

Your beloved NG is a finite resource that wont last forever Ron, in fact its estimated to last 52 years so your great grandkids are gonna freeze their asses off unless we look at alternatives now.

https://www.worldometers.info/gas/#:~:text=The world has proven reserves,levels and excluding unproven reserves).

Edited by Rob Plant

3 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

https://oilprice.com/Metals/Commodities/Is-The-Era-Of-Ever-Cheaper-Lithium-Batteries-Over.html 

There are a lot of factors that will increase prices of lithium batteries. Hybrids of various kinds may make more sense. Diesel electric locomotives are a good example of what can be done. A small ICE motor can power a generator and can run off of propane, ethanol, natural gas, hydrogen etc. A small lithium battery can be plugged in and filled overnight if it saves money. 

Or just electrify the railroads. It's not that difficult - the rest of the world has done it.

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2022 at 10:27 PM, Ron Wagner said:

The last report I saw said 2%. A fantastic development for Green Dreamers! I wonder how the chip and battery supply will do in 23? 

8.6% of all sold cars globally were PEV. The global market for electric vehicles (EVs) is growing continuously at a compounded annualised growth rate (CAGR) of 21.7 per cent. So that would mean a doubling of sales every 4 years. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jeroen Goudswaard said:

8.6% of all sold cars globally were PEV. The global market for electric vehicles (EVs) is growing continuously at a compounded annualised growth rate (CAGR) of 21.7 per cent. So that would mean a doubling of sales every 4 years. 

When you factor in many countries are actually banning new FF car sales from 2030 and even hybrids from 2035 then these numbers will be huge in the 2030's compared to the current growth levels.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TailingsPond said:

Roadside assistance would most likely just tow your car to a fast charger rather than slow charge it on a highway...

Cost of a tow truck showing up with a jerry can is probably similar to a tow back to town.

You are imagining poor solutions to problems that don't exist.

It is difficult to "just" tow an EV some hundreds of miles if you are out in the prairie highway. More likely would be mobile charging facilities which could service multiple stranded EVs while out on call.

6 hours ago, Jeroen Goudswaard said:

I agree that CO2 is not pollution per se. But at the same time CO2 is the thermostat of the earth. And whereas higher temperatures are not necessarily a big problem for earth on a whole, but mass migration and higher sea levels are. Someone will have to pay for rehousing and coastal protection, and would it not be fair that it would be paid for by the one causing it? To put it in perspective:

In total, humans have pumped around 2,500bn tonnes of CO2 (GtCO2) into the atmosphere since 1850. Of that, 20% was by the USA, 11% by China, Russia 7%, Brazil 5% and ever less down the line. 

There is no established relationship between CO2 levels and earth temperature, the models which purport to show a relationship are flawed in many ways.

It appears the the direction of causation is from earth temperature to CO2 levels, not the reverse.

6 hours ago, Jeroen Goudswaard said:

EVs account for less than a fraction of 1% of the total transportation sector, and that will not change appreciably going forward.

6 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

When you factor in many countries are actually banning new FF car sales from 2030 and even hybrids from 2035 then these numbers will be huge in the 2030's compared to the current growth levels.

That is assuming that by those dates the fallacious CO2 climate models are still extant. I doubt that the CO2 theory will stand the test of time, there is already a growing body of climate science exposing the weakness of the CO2 theory.