JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

(edited)

15 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

How many recalls for Tesla? And why such high rates of consumer dissatisfaction? Something is not right here.

The only thing that is not right is you. How many recalls for ICE manufacturers? 

Here's the full list of automakers from Consumer Reports' satisfaction survey, ranked in order from best to worst:

1. Tesla
  2. Lincoln
  3. Ram
  4. Chrysler
  5. Subaru
  6. Hyundai
  7. Porsche
  8. Dodge
  9. Mazda
  10. Toyota
  11. etc.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/08/car-truck-owner-satisfaction-survey-consumer-reports/

Edited by Jay McKinsey

25 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

The only thing that is not right is you. How many recalls for ICE manufacturers? 

Here's the full list of automakers from Consumer Reports' satisfaction survey, ranked in order from best to worst:

1. Tesla
  2. Lincoln
  3. Ram
  4. Chrysler
  5. Subaru
  6. Hyundai
  7. Porsche
  8. Dodge
  9. Mazda
  10. Toyota
  11. etc.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/08/car-truck-owner-satisfaction-survey-consumer-reports/

JD Power says Lexus is most dependable auto brand, ranks Tesla 30th out of 33

Now that is only half of the story..

Tesla's ranking in the 32-year-old annual study this year is considered unofficial, said Dave Sargent, J.D. Power's vice president of automotive quality. That's because Elon Musk's electric vehicle venture doesn't grant J.D. Power permission to survey its owners in 15 states that require this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/18/tesla-ranks-30th-in-unofficial-debut-on-jd-power-dependability-study.html

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

JD Power says Lexus is most dependable auto brand, ranks Tesla 30th out of 33

Now that is only half of the story..

Tesla's ranking in the 32-year-old annual study this year is considered unofficial, said Dave Sargent, J.D. Power's vice president of automotive quality. That's because Elon Musk's electric vehicle venture doesn't grant J.D. Power permission to survey its owners in 15 states that require this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/18/tesla-ranks-30th-in-unofficial-debut-on-jd-power-dependability-study.html

So a company that Tesla doesn't play ball with makes up a bad score for them. Yet those who Consumer Reports surveyed reported the highest customer satisfaction of any car maker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 1:13 PM, QuarterCenturyVet said:

Your final point is what I was saying in the first place. Besides, if a 1/2 ton weighs as much as a 3/4 ton without the suspension, clearance and range; what's the point of attempting to use it for work payloads? 

This Lightning F150 is just a status and virtue signal. No serious tradespeople will purchase one for real work. 

Actually QCV, one of the Lighnings' key selling points is that tradies can use it to power their tools, you can even use to power your home during a blackout.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:09 AM, Eric Gagen said:

The US armed forces is one of the groups trying the hardest to eliminate ICE's where necessary, and it has been going on for a long time.  For at least the last 15 years or so the armed forces have been trying to untether themselves from the need for regular fuel deliveries, or grid electricity for their facilities.  It represents a strategic and tactical vulnerability which can now be at least partially overcome.  For stationary bases and facilities the Iraq war (second one starting in 2001) highlighted how big a risk it is to require regular fuel transport to operating facilities.  Even if/when it is not economic for 'normal' facilities the armed forces has moved HARD into solar, battery storage and wind power so that their security and operational tempo will not be quite so tightly connected to regular fuel deliveries.  

On a broader strategic level, the armed forces is preparing for a situation when/if their general access to liquid fuels is curtailed by enemy action or other means.  This has entailed a search for substitute liquid fuels which can be made by other means (mostly biofuels) possibly in some field conditions allowing units to carry the ability to fuel themselves along with them.  

One of the highest risk (in terms of casualties and damage to equipment) operations on an ongoing basis in the Iraq war, was delivery of fuel to forward operating locations.  By reducing fuel demand as much as possible without regard for the monetary cost, they found that they actually saved money because less equipment was getting destroyed delivering fuel (in addition to saving lives) 

If they are successful in this attempt, the US armed forces will effectively restore a level of strategic and tactical mobility that last existed before the invention of the railroad - it would be able to send forces anywhere and everywhere without having to look at fuel infrastructure issue. The only constant needs would be food and munitions, which are a tiny fraction of the regular tonnage demand that fuel currently is.  

There are no current plans to end the use of ICE's in aircraft or heavy ground equipment (tanks heavy artillery, etc.) but to the extent possible everything else is either getting electrified, or is being reviewed for the potential to get electrified.  

Yes indeed Eric. Am not sure if you have been following the launch of the Webb space telescope, but I can assure you that the technology involved is also being applied by the USAF in the pursuit of "space mirrors" that will send concentrated beams of microwaves to power remote bases, anywhere, anytime. 

• Rolling Eye 1

27 minutes ago, Wombat One said:

Actually QCV, one of the Lighnings' key selling points is that tradies can use it to power their tools, you can even use to power your home during a blackout.

Any truck can, with as little as a 50$ inverter. You're not going to run your stove or anything 240V/30A, but you can run any power tool. 

Serious tradespeople understand this, regardless of what Jay thinks and says.

On 12/14/2021 at 1:14 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

Ron, you dumble butt. I have quoted your post in relevant part above. It is an old forecast from Bloomberg New Energy Finance. Unless of course you think that it is now 2041.

Below is the new forecast from Bloomberg New Energy Finance (NEF) that I posted:

And it is wrong, EV sales will be +90% in 2040.

Crap. That is impossible given that Hydrogen car sales will be at 35%?!?

1 hour ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

Any truck can, with as little as a 50$ inverter. You're not going to run your stove or anything 240V/30A, but you can run any power tool. 

Serious tradespeople understand this, regardless of what Jay thinks and says.

Wrong as usual, 240V/30A not a problem:

image.png.711ce1837729b04ce95b133a38f4e446.png

(edited)

25 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Wrong as usual, 240V/30A not a problem:

image.png.711ce1837729b04ce95b133a38f4e446.png

Read what I wrote again, fuckstick. 

An inverter can do anything that the virtue/status symbol can, except you don't have to worry about range. When hauling everything in the cold, with cab heat and exhaust to warm things that are too big or dirty to fit in the cab, your EV pavement princess isn't going to help. 

You'd better be hauling a generator to keep that piece of shit charged up to run any of those applications all day. 

Why run an intermediary like the F150 Lighning, when a generator on its own would do the work? 

In short: you wouldn't. 

Edited by QuarterCenturyVet

Ok, let's read what you wrote "You're not going to run your stove or anything 240V/30A", this is still absolutely incorrect. 

• Rolling Eye 1

On 12/17/2021 at 12:48 PM, turbguy said:

And that's a "bad thing" (excess generation), because??

Germany has been very slow to add large batteries simply because they do not produce their own yet. 

2 minutes ago, Wombat One said:

Germany has been very slow to add large batteries simply because they do not produce their own yet. 

Make Hydrogen.

Germany has about 7 GW of existing pumped storage.

Build more. 

(edited)

40 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Ok, let's read what you wrote "You're not going to run your stove or anything 240V/30A", this is still absolutely incorrect. 

What was the rest of the statement for context? 

I was talking about a $50 inverter, you utter muppet.

You're so quick to jump to the defence of your precious status symbol EVs that you'll see anything as an attack against them, including a comment regarding inverters, apparently. 

Sod off, Jay. 

Edited by QuarterCenturyVet

4 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

1. Tesla
  2. Lincoln
  3. Ram
  4. Chrysler
  5. Subaru
  6. Hyundai
  7. Porsche
  8. Dodge
  9. Mazda
  10. Toyota
  11. etc.

The recall rate, Jay, the recall rate...not good.

(edited)

16 minutes ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

What was the rest of the statement for context? 

I was talking about a $50 inverter, you utter muppet. 

No $50 inverter is gonna handle 8 KW.   Starting/running a decent air compressor is a big load.

$50? Maybe one or one-and-a-half KW, if you don't mind Chinese junk. 

Then there's this issue about starting the truck after the workday...

A good generator is a solution, however!

Edited by turbguy

2 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

The recall rate, Jay, the recall rate...not good.

I agree, the recall rate for ICE cars is not good.

2 minutes ago, turbguy said:

No $50 inverter is gonna handle 8 KW.   Starting/running an air compressor is a big load.

$50? Maybe one or one-and-a-half, if you don't mind Chinese junk.

I didn't say 8KW. I said power tools. I have one that was 50$ on sale from Canadian tire about 15 years ago that runs my hammer drill and charges my batteries for my cordless impact and saws. 

7 minutes ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

I didn't say 8KW. I said power tools. I have one that was 50$ on sale from Canadian tire about 15 years ago that runs my hammer drill and charges my batteries for my cordless impact and saws. 

Try operating an air compressor.  

23 minutes ago, turbguy said:

Try operating an air compressor.  

That's what larger inverters are for, dummy. 

2000-3000w inverter can handle a 1200w compressor. 

Hell, the 2021 F150 Hybrid has 2.5kw built in, and you could get one with 7.2kw. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/amp32970167/f-150-generator-pro-power-onboard/

Why even waste your time on the Lightning F150? 

In short: you wouldn't. 

On 12/24/2021 at 7:02 AM, Eric Gagen said:

Sure it will.  By definition things that don't happen are forgotten.  Nobody remembers the 'Y2K panic' becacuse there wasn't a disaster.  Nobody remembers the hole in the ozone layer because we caught it early.  However in both cases,  action had to be taken to prevent it from becoming a problem.  CO2 will be the same way.  Nobody will remember it because we will fix it by taking action.  

I usually find myself in 100% agreement with you Eric, but I can assure you that no matter how much action we take, climate change will still become very ugly and hideously expensive. Not so much in terms of lives lost, but in terms of "livelihoods" lost. The cost of tackling climate change is estimated at $100 trillion, but I can assure you that this a drop in the ocean compared to the future cost of climate change over the next 2 centuries regardless of how rapidly we reduce our CO2 emissions. It will take nearly a millenia to return CO2 levels back to "normal" even if we do achieve net-zero by 2050. The biggest lie that the IPCC tells is that we can limit global warming to 1.5 degrees. Even with net-zero by 2050, it would be something of a miracle to limit warming to 3 degrees by 2150. It would require very cheap nuclear fusion combined with actual CO2 "scrubbing" (ie: artificial trees). The only other possibilty is even cheaper and more efficient solar cells, perhaps Perovskite cells. There would need to be an abundance of cheap energy and the political will to spend a fortune on artificial trees. Failing that, WW3 may be the only option. Perhaps some other form of population control such as a "real" global pandemic?

On 12/25/2021 at 6:42 AM, Eric Gagen said:

Worse yet, there are some people who just aren't fit for doing more complex work.  'Go make robots' is no more an option for them than 'learn to code' is an option for the semi-literate.  This is a real problem, but you can't fix it by halting progress.  I fear that we are headed more and more towards a society set up along medieval lines, with a tiny 'overclass' a small 'productive class' (similar to lesser nobles, merchants and the Church) and a vast 'underclass' that gets by on a mixture of unpleasant odd jobs, and largess from the other classes to prevent excessively revolutionary movements.  This is a bigger issue than just energy issues though.  

Yes, we already have that in the West. It is called the "Service Economy". It is all thanks to globalisation.

• Great Response! 1

On 12/26/2021 at 12:02 AM, TailingsPond said:

Exactly why industry doesn't want longer lasting products.

Planned obsolescence is not the same a scarcity. We want / need crap to break just so we can make replacements. If it doesn't break we make you replace it anyways by convincing you the newer model is status symbol.

Capitalism requires constant (unsustainable) growth or the whole scheme collapses. The only way for industry to constantly grow is for stuff to be constantly destroyed. Ever notice that war stimulates economies in the long run?

Nope. War just creates enormous debts. But sometimes the only way out of an enormous "peace-time debt" is by winning a war?

On 12/26/2021 at 4:31 AM, ronwagn said:

There are all sorts of good choices available for the uneducated in America. We have free public schools that are often good, but not nearly as good as they used to be, in most cases. Discipline has eroded terribly. Standards have eroded terribly. We need vouchers for private school options, more technical school training (meaning carpentry, plumbing, basic electrical, home repair and renewal, automotive repair, etc.) We have internet options that are incredible for all levels of education. There have never been more opportunities to get all levels of education. Much of it is free or supported for the poor. 

Free Education 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nkAnzn9R7NH0LqihEeeq4be4ckBgk70YkGKbHsrnbTU/edit

One example 

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Education Problems

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PjW6KJmKDEqqrTVZyGwWK36YTvr46Axo9WDkY90WtU4/edit

Nup. What you need is to bring back manufacturing jobs via effective tariffs. Either that, or bomb the crap out of China.

On 1/1/2022 at 3:15 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

Well Trump's anti-vax base has turned on him.

Don't bet on that Jay. I helped Trump into power and intend to do so again. I might be an environmentalist, but I am also a rational economist that is not afraid to do "whatever it takes" to restore the supremecy of democratic nations.

• Haha 1

(edited)

32 minutes ago, Wombat One said:

Don't bet on that Jay. I helped Trump into power and intend to do so again. I might be an environmentalist, but I am also a rational economist that is not afraid to do "whatever it takes" to restore the supremecy of democratic nations.

By supporting a guy who doesn't believe in democracy or the environment? That isn't very rational.

Edited by Jay McKinsey