JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

1 minute ago, turbguy said:

Economists (which tends to be a black art, similar to metalurgy) typically measure standard of living using GDP.

Per capita GDP provides a quick, rough estimate of the total amount of goods and services available per person.

While numerous and nuanced measurements of standard of living have been devised, many of them correlate highly with per capita GDP.  

So,we need some numbers here to support either argument.

Per capita GDP, which I suggested above,  is one rough and ready measure, handy, easy to calculate.

But for political reasons, it is good to measure the impact of price changes on those who earn considerably less than the median income. Those people vote at election time, and they do not want to sacrifice their family car.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Standard of living declines if you cannot afford a personal vehicle.

..and if you cannot also support using that vehicle with mandated insurance requirements, license fees and related taxes.

(edited)

6 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Per capita GDP, which I suggested above,  is one rough and ready measure, handy, easy to calculate.

But for political reasons, it is good to measure the impact of price changes on those who earn considerably less than the median income. Those people vote at election time, and they do not want to sacrifice their family car.

You may be correct. 

One half of income earners are below the median.  I don't know what "considerably less" implies, but it is going to be a minority of income earners.

We need some numbers.

"The poor get poorer, and the rich...."

Edited by turbguy

The oil and coal industry has destroyed the US south from storms.  It is a wasteland, with people having severe brain damage and voting Republican.  They must be held accountable!!!  Thank god for the Democratic Northern states with great medical care and democracy!  Trump will be held accountable!

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, bloodman33 said:

The oil and coal industry has destroyed the US south from storms.  It is a wasteland, with people having severe brain damage and voting Republican.  They must be held accountable!!!  Thank god for the Democratic Northern states with great medical care and democracy!  Trump will be held accountable!

Sure, let's go Green... everyone go poor and live on the sidewalks....that sounds like a great plan for average Americans.

Perhaps that would make you happy.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Yes, there is far too much income disparity in San Francisco.  It's disgusting, median income is meaningless, you are very rich or very poor. 

Union square is sickly opulent and only two blocks away is the Tenderloin area which is a slum overwhelmed with mentally disabled people.

My hotel was right in between, it was a fascinating visit...

1 minute ago, TailingsPond said:

Yes, there is far too much income disparity in San Francisco.  It's disgusting, median income is meaningless, you are very rich or very poor. 

Union square is sickly opulent and only two blocks away is the Tenderloin area which is a slum overwhelmed with mentally disabled people.

My hotel was right in between, it was a fascinating visit...

My wife and I were there in July. Unbelievable.

Only the dead head liberals running the California state government could manage to create this mess.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

My wife and I were there in July. Unbelievable.

Only the dead head liberals running the California state government could manage to create this mess.

The tech companies certainly deserve some of the blame.

When your city has 270,400+ millionaires prices are no longer dictated by fair value.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/top-20-cities-ultra-wealthy/

1 hour ago, notsonice said:

Real GDP is increasing and the standards of living are rising

cleaner air and water.....brought to you by renewables

California leads the country in homeless people. Crime is rising. The cost of living is rising. The standard of living is not rising. Congestion is worse than ever. Housing is less affordable then it has been for 35 years. Government is more intrusive than ever. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Polyphia said:

Sounds good.

It could be but they would need to allow natural gas engines to make it happen affordably. 

On 3/29/2023 at 9:43 PM, turbguy said:

Actually, coal's in third place, behind Nat Gas and Nuclear.

Add up the wind, solar and hydro, and they are easily in second place.

EASILY!

Did you mean to leave out petroleum?

(edited)

4 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

Did you mean to leave out petroleum?

Petroleum is not a major contributor to generation (about 1/2%  or less of total generation).  I try to upload a chart for today's generation, but I keep getting server errors.

Today, wind alone, exceeded all other forms of generation, except for nat gas.  That's the first time I've seen that!

Go here and scroll down to the "generation by source" chart (fourth chart from the top).

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/gridmonitor/dashboard/electric_overview/US48/US48

Edited by turbguy

5 hours ago, turbguy said:

While numerous and nuanced measurements of standard of living have been devised, many of them correlate highly with per capita GDP.  

My god Turbguy...just where did you learn that word salad. Use 8th grade math, raw fundamentals. Now do you need a tutorial? I think not.

In the event you are indeed in need of such guidance I should be more than happy to provide with some proprietary algorithms...

• Upvote 1

cornered....... 😭help......

IMG_20230331_130133.jpg

(edited)

12 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

My god Turbguy...just where did you learn that word salad. Use 8th grade math, raw fundamentals. Now do you need a tutorial? I think not.

In the event you are indeed in need of such guidance I should be more than happy to provide with some proprietary algorithms...

Happy you enjoyed it!

First principles with secret sauce.

Or, perhaps ChatGPT?

Edited by turbguy

3 hours ago, turbguy said:

Or, perhaps ChatGPT?

Now that absolutely fascinates me, human personalities are absolutely thee most amazing creation in the known universe. It will be quite a day when I can converse..Perhaps grasp as to how it was programmed, lack of life experience,exponentially forming opinions and conclusions.

(edited)

2 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Now that absolutely fascinates me, human personalities are absolutely thee most amazing creation in the known universe. It will be quite a day when I can converse..Perhaps grasp as to how it was programmed, lack of life experience,exponentially forming opinions and conclusions.

Yes, it is quite a trip "conversing" with that robot!

Just wait until the "known" (cyber)universe expands.

We are in for a nightmare.

Edited by turbguy

For example,

I ask ChatGPT...

"What are the pros and cons of fossil fuels"?

Here is "it's" first response:

Fossil fuels have been the primary source of energy for the world for several decades, providing us with electricity, heating, and transportation. Here are some of the pros and cons of fossil fuels:

Pros:

1. Reliability: Fossil fuels are relatively stable and can provide a consistent source of energy, unlike some renewable energy sources that may be dependent on weather patterns.
  2. Affordability: Fossil fuels are often less expensive compared to alternative energy sources, making them accessible to many people.
  3. Accessibility: Fossil fuels are abundant and are widely available in many countries around the world.
  4. Energy density: Fossil fuels have high energy density, meaning they can store a large amount of energy in a small volume or mass, making them efficient in terms of transportation and storage.

Cons:

1. Environmental impact: Fossil fuels are a major source of greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change and air pollution.
  2. Finite resource: Fossil fuels are non-renewable and will eventually run out, making them a limited resource.
  3. Geopolitical conflicts: Dependence on fossil fuels can create geopolitical conflicts as countries compete for access to resources.
  4. Health impacts: Fossil fuels are linked to respiratory diseases and other health problems due to their emissions.

Overall, while fossil fuels have provided many benefits, their negative impact on the environment and human health cannot be ignored. Moving towards alternative energy sources that are renewable and sustainable is critical for a cleaner and healthier future.

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

Does this program use the net to assist it's conversation/decision process? Foolish question yet Informative. 

(edited)

3 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Does this program use the net to assist it's conversation/decision process? Foolish question yet Informative. 

I have heard that is does "absorb" a LOT of info from the internet.

Mr. Turing would be impressed (IMO).

I ask, "What are the pros and cons of renewable energy"?

"It's response:

Renewable energy has several advantages and disadvantages that should be considered when evaluating its potential as a source of energy.

Pros:

1. Clean and Sustainable: Renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal power are clean and sustainable, producing little or no greenhouse gas emissions or other pollutants. They also have the potential to provide a reliable source of energy for generations to come.

2. Lower Operating Costs: Renewable energy systems can have lower operating costs compared to traditional fossil fuel-based systems, as they require less maintenance and have no fuel costs. They may also reduce the need for costly energy imports.

3. Energy Security: Investing in renewable energy sources can help countries become less dependent on imported energy sources and improve their energy security.

4. Job Creation: The renewable energy industry can create jobs in manufacturing,

5. installation, maintenance, and research and development, providing a boost to the economy.

Cons:

1. Intermittency: Many renewable energy sources are intermittent, meaning they rely on weather conditions or other factors that can affect their output. This can make them less reliable and more difficult to integrate into existing energy systems.

2. High Upfront Costs: The initial cost of installing renewable energy systems can be high, which may deter some investors or individuals from pursuing them.

3. Land Use: Some renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines and solar panels, require a significant amount of land, which can be a challenge in densely populated areas.

4. Environmental Impact: While renewable energy sources produce fewer greenhouse gas emissions than traditional fossil fuels, they can still have an impact on the environment. For example, large-scale hydropower dams can disrupt ecosystems and affect wildlife

5. Energy Storage: Energy storage technologies are still developing, and the current options can be expensive and not as efficient as needed to store the excess energy generated by renewable sources for use when needed.

Overall, renewable energy has many potential benefits but also has some challenges that need to be addressed to maximize its potential.

I Ask:

Are electric cars desirable?

Electric cars are becoming increasingly desirable for several reasons:
  1. Environmental benefits: Electric cars emit zero tailpipe emissions and have the potential to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, and dependence on fossil fuels, making them an attractive option for environmentally conscious individuals.

2. Lower operating costs: Electric cars have lower operating costs than traditional gas-powered cars since they do not require gasoline and have fewer moving parts that require maintenance.

3. Performance: Electric cars can have instant torque, providing quick acceleration and a smooth, quiet ride.

4. Advanced features: Electric cars often come with advanced features such as regenerative braking, which captures energy from braking and converts it into electricity to recharge the battery.

5. Increased range: The range of electric cars has improved significantly in recent years, making them more practical for daily use.

6. Government incentives: Many governments offer incentives such as tax credits, rebates, and other financial incentives to encourage the purchase of electric cars.

However, electric cars also have some limitations to consider, such as:

1. Higher upfront costs: Electric cars are generally more expensive to purchase than traditional gas-powered cars due to the cost of battery technology.

2. Limited range: Although range has improved, electric cars still have a more limited range than gas-powered cars and may require charging stops on longer trips.

3. Charging infrastructure: The availability of charging stations is still not as widespread as gas stations, which may be a concern for some drivers.

4. Battery technology limitations: Battery technology is still evolving and there are concerns about the environmental impact of battery production and disposal.

Overall, electric cars are becoming more desirable for many drivers, especially those concerned about the environment and looking for lower operating costs. However, there are still some limitations to consider, and each individual driver will need to weigh the pros and cons based on their specific needs and circumstances.

Edited by turbguy
  • Great Response! 1

And god said, you vote republican, and have sinned.  Great storms will fall upon you from the oil industry and yee shall be punished and the winds of the Lord will purify the wicked as the greed of the republicans will be destroyed!  Amen!  Repent climate deniers before you are cast down into the pit of fire and be burned for eternity!   REpent!  No health insurance for you!

9 minutes ago, bloodman33 said:

And god said, you vote republican, and have sinned.  Great storms will fall upon you from the oil industry and yee shall be punished and the winds of the Lord will purify the wicked as the greed of the republicans will be destroyed!  Amen!  Repent climate deniers before you are cast down into the pit of fire and be burned for eternity!   REpent!  No health insurance for you!

Once upon a time, a man was lost in a forest. There, he encountered a bear.

"Dear Lord, I know I'm not so much a believer. But if you deliver me through this, I promise would be faithful and doing every wish of yours." Pray the man.

A loud crack broke through the sky. A voice was heard:" Too late........"

Suddenly, "thud"..... The bear was seen kneeling, with that sound heard. It closed its palms and said:" Dear Lord, for the meal I'm about to receive today, I thank you."

Moral of the story:

Wicked = the man

There will come a time, all prayer will be deemed too late......

IMG_20230331_155933.jpg

(edited)

On 4/1/2023 at 5:59 PM, turbguy said:

For example,

I ask ChatGPT...

"What are the pros and cons of fossil fuels"?

Here is "it's" first response:

Fossil fuels have been the primary source of energy for the world for several decades, providing us with electricity, heating, and transportation. Here are some of the pros and cons of fossil fuels:

Pros:

1. Reliability: Fossil fuels are relatively stable and can provide a consistent source of energy, unlike some renewable energy sources that may be dependent on weather patterns.
  2. Affordability: Fossil fuels are often less expensive compared to alternative energy sources, making them accessible to many people.
  3. Accessibility: Fossil fuels are abundant and are widely available in many countries around the world.
  4. Energy density: Fossil fuels have high energy density, meaning they can store a large amount of energy in a small volume or mass, making them efficient in terms of transportation and storage.

Cons:

1. Environmental impact: Fossil fuels are a major source of greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change and air pollution.
  2. Finite resource: Fossil fuels are non-renewable and will eventually run out, making them a limited resource.
  3. Geopolitical conflicts: Dependence on fossil fuels can create geopolitical conflicts as countries compete for access to resources.
  4. Health impacts: Fossil fuels are linked to respiratory diseases and other health problems due to their emissions.

Overall, while fossil fuels have provided many benefits, their negative impact on the environment and human health cannot be ignored. Moving towards alternative energy sources that are renewable and sustainable is critical for a cleaner and healthier future.

Numbers 1 and 4 of the cons are debatable and doubtful.

Toxic emissions are controllable to below discernible harm to humanity, and climate change lacks any demonstrable scientific link to fossil fuels, the models which claim to show a link are flawed.

That tilts the comparison strongly in favor of fossil fuels.

Edited by Ecocharger

(edited)

23 hours ago, bloodman33 said:

When did you get faith? Somehow I don't recall those Bible verses.

Here is what is actually in the Genesis section of man's relation to the creation,

"God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground. ”
29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food."

Edited by Ecocharger