JM

GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES

On 5/13/2023 at 2:22 AM, Ron Wagner said:

No, high wind speeds are not extremely rare. They should be harnessed, as should slightly lower wind speeds. Solar panels should also focus more on infrared light use since so many areas are cloudy. 

If you built a sailing ship to be able to optimally use hurricane force wind speeds it would never move 99.9% of the time. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

https://news.yahoo.com/problematic-wind-turbines-stump-experts-154600692.html

Problematic wind turbines stump experts

Bob Campbell, Odessa American, Texas
Sat, May 13, 2023 at 10:46 AM CDT

May 13—Presenting a dilemma that's yet to be solved, the big whop, whop, whopping that wind turbines do is cutting wind farms' electrical generation by as much as 30 percent.

Permian Basin International Oil Show President Larry Richards and Waco economist Ray Perryman say the importance wind has achieved in the renewable energy world gives finding a solution increasing importance.

"The percentage of U.S. electric power produced from wind energy eclipsed 10 percent last year, making wind power the No. 1 renewable power source and finally exceeding all those dams built in the 1940s and 1950s producing hydroelectric power," Richards said. "Texas leads the way with roughly 17 percent of the state's power now generated from wind turbines.

"But as wind power comes to scale, the inherent technical and engineering challenges begin to loom larger, limiting its reliability and efficiency. Studies have found that up to 30 percent of the power generation of a station can be lost due to the effects of wind turbulence and atmospheric fluid dynamics. Many stations simply don't produce anywhere near the anticipated output.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

"We've learned some wind dynamics can actually strip energy from the turbine and much of the incredibly complicated math required to solve the problem just doesn't exist today."

Richards said the nation's requirements necessitate the aggressive pursuit of all forms of energy.

"Just as nothing in life worth having comes without sacrifice, no one source or technology comes without costs," he said. "Wind power has its environmental impacts from the massive blades that fill landfills and never decompose to the strip mining often used to source the vast amounts of copper and other metals used in the turbines.

"A single wind turbine often contains up to 335 tons of steel, 4.7 tons of copper, three tons of aluminum and 700-plus pounds of rare earth minerals. Anyone who has ever been on a ranch that's installed them knows the impact on flora and fauna while that huge infrastructure and road network is being built out.

"I believe wind power is an important element of our energy independence, but to think it comes without major negative environmental impacts is simply naive and untrue."

Richards said he has spent much of his career developing technologies and processes to help extract and produce oil and natural gas "in a way that shows good stewardship of the environment and the natural resources we've been given.

"The majority of our electricity in the U.S. is produced from natural gas and I believe that will remain true for many, many decades," he said. "It's reliable, transportable, storable and by far the cleanest hydrocarbon-based energy source. We've proved it can be produced cost effectively with minimal emissions.

Richards said the pursuit of all energy sources, including wind power and natural gas, "requires us to constantly evolve in our pursuit to produce them in a way that is sustainable and environmentally conscious.

"The payoff is extraordinary," he said. "The daily access to low-cost energy has lifted millions from poverty and given all Americans a standard of living that our ancestors could not have dreamed of."

Noting that dealing with the turbulence problem entails the very complicated field of computational fluid dynamics, Perryman said, "The large wind turbines that are now coming into wide use generate wakes that extend well into the atmospheric boundary layer or basically the portion of the atmosphere that feels and reacts to turbulence on earth,

"Consequently, the wakes from some terminals can impact and degrade the output of other terminals behind them," he said. "Fluid dynamics largely deal with the flow of liquids and gases, but the underlying mathematics are useful in this context as well. The measurements get a bit complicated, but the problems are solvable."

Perryman said that where there is a market incentive, a solution can almost always be found.

"In the case of wind power there is a clear market incentive both from selling power and from the current slate of green incentives encouraging additional investment," he said. "Moreover, the world is going to need to all types of energy going forward, which will further enhance incentives."

Perryman said turbulence issues "are generally solvable with the proper engineering studies to determine optimal spacing.

"There are likely situations with existing farms where the installed base is positioned in such a way that the amount of power generated is lessened by turbulence," he said. "This issue only began to surface and get attention as the turbines grew in size. It is certainly something that could be designed around even with large turbines in the future. Their wakes are nowhere close to the levels that can't be mediated with existing laws of physics and some innovative designs.

"The wind power industry has been around for a while and is quite well established. The incentives to address this issue are in place and I am sure that solutions will be forthcoming. In fact, turbines may become even larger. That makes for some challenging mathematics, physics and engineering, but that rarely prevents progress where profits are involved."

overgineering any mechanical device to perform in near hurricane strength winds is not good economics........

Have you ever noticed...........Just about everything is shut in during hurricane strength winds...

When is the last time the winds in your area exceeded 50-55 mph on a extended basis???????

Most of what you would call large-scale wind turbines typically start turning in winds of seven to nine miles per hour. Their top speeds are around 50-55 mph, which is their upper safety limit. Large-scale wind turbines normally have a braking system that kicks in around 55 mph to prevent damage to the blades

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 2:07 AM, specinho said:

The general aim of research nowaday is usually to prove its repeatability, with the same species/ condition, or different. One person copies, it's plagiarism. Many people copy, it is called research, right? '-'

No.

First off you need to add something somewhat novel to get a Ph.D.

Secondly, quoting / referencing is not plagiarism.   Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

"If I have seen further it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants."

All advances in knowledge are incremental, building off earlier ideas.

https://news.yahoo.com/turn-electric-vehicles-not-ready-170020661.html

Your turn: Electric vehicles are not ready for prime time

cd8afa2ddeb5eaa52ba03416cc8215de
Jim Sacia
Sat, May 13, 2023 at 12:00 PM CDT

Mark Mills, senior fellow at The Manhattan Institute, shares some eye-opening realities dealing with wind and solar.

He contradicts many, including our own current administration, who believe whole heartedly that it is our future.

There are some Mark Mills haters and critics. Do your own research before you buy into their hatred and criticism.

I am far more in Mr. Mills camp than the current administration’s camp. Certainly not a scientist, but arguably an educated observer, I cringe with every commercial, and there are many, pushing electric vehicles.

The infrastructure necessary to support these vehicles isn’t even close to meeting the demand.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Your turn: Belvidere Assembly Plant can be a symbol of what's possible

Hybrids make sense to me. They can sustain themselves with their back up on board gasoline. I am writing this in Utah, where Jenny and I are vacationing. We are driving a Prius Hybrid getting 51 mpg. It almost makes me ashamed to go back home to my 16 mpg pickup.

We cannot build enough solar and wind machines to supply us 24-7. There is no electric utopia just over the horizon. It doesn’t exist and it never will.

Simple physics reveals that the sun’s photons can be converted to electrons at 33%. Our best conversion rate currently is 26% efficiency. For wind, the maximum capture is 60% efficiency, we currently are at 45%. Remember also that the sun must shine and the wind must blow.

Oh, you say, but batteries can store the energy.

The world’s largest battery factory, owned by Tesla in Nevada, would take 500 years to build enough batteries for just one day’s supply of America’s electricity needs. This should help explain why after 20 years and billions of dollars in subsidies, we are at only 3% of meeting our energy needs with wind and solar.

To me, what is truly perplexing, is how our major manufacturing companies have charged all out to become totally electric. Ford’s new electric vehicle plant in Tennessee is the best example.

This very morning, watching the news in Utah, a new Ford F150 electric pickup caught fire at its manufacturingplant, destroying it and two beside it, due to a battery fire. Fighting these battery fires is a significant challenge for fire departments.

One electric car battery weighs approximately one half ton. The elements required to build that battery will require massive new mining efforts in areas that we need to protect for obvious environmental reasons.

EV owners love to tell us that they are zero emission. Not even close! If you consider the production cost, especially the 1000 lb. battery, over the life of the vehicle, the cost of charging the battery over its lifetime may exceed the life time expense of a gas powered car.

The waste obtained from worn out batteries, solar panels and wind turbines will be astronomical.

Maybe we should consider hydro carbons which are in abundant supply and readily available. This is the basis for all of our current needs and will supply us well into the future. They are becoming cleaner all the time.

Oh, you say that we must clean up our environment. If you study your lesson you will realize that the requirements for wind and solar production and electric vehicles on the massive scale necessary to meet our needs, which they never can, will create an environmental nightmare that is nearly unimaginable.

Experts tell us it will require mining for such elements as cobalt and lithium up to 2000% increase and in many parts of the world that cannot be accessed. Why aren’t our policy makers studying this before they tell us how “electric” we will be by 2032?

For those who choose to believe that electric vehicles are the wave of the future and far more environmentally friendly, when you look at the big picture you will be greatly disappointed.

Jim Sacia is a Pectonica resident. He served as an Illinois state representative from January 2003 to September 2013.

This article originally appeared on Rockford Register Star: Your turn: Electric vehicles are not ready for prime time

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, notsonice said:

overgineering any mechanical device to perform in near hurricane strength winds is not good economics........

Have you ever noticed...........Just about everything is shut in during hurricane strength winds...

When is the last time the winds in your area exceeded 50-55 mph on a extended basis???????

Most of what you would call large-scale wind turbines typically start turning in winds of seven to nine miles per hour. Their top speeds are around 50-55 mph, which is their upper safety limit. Large-scale wind turbines normally have a braking system that kicks in around 55 mph to prevent damage to the blades

I drove head on through all of Oklahoma and into New Mexico head on into high winds with my big van. I didn't see one wind turbine working. I think the wind was at about 40 MPH, so I question the 50 to 55 mph top speed. I have also seen many wind turbines not working at about 15 MPH. I am a casual observer so I am sure they would like to have more operating time if it were possible. Tornado watchers were out, so there may have been precautions taken. 

6 hours ago, NickW said:

If you built a sailing ship to be able to optimally use hurricane force wind speeds it would never move 99.9% of the time. 

What would you do if you were caught in the storm?  Would an anchor pull you under the waves? Use a floating anchor? Drift? 

• Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

7 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

I drove head on through all of Oklahoma and into New Mexico head on into high winds with my big van. I didn't see one wind turbine working. I think the wind was at about 40 MPH, so I question the 50 to 55 mph top speed. I have also seen many wind turbines not working at about 15 MPH. I am a casual observer so I am sure they would like to have more operating time if it were possible. Tornado watchers were out, so there may have been precautions taken. 

sustained 40 mph on the ground level means gusts of up to 60 mph 200 feet up

Edited by notsonice
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 2:41 AM, Ron Wagner said:

I think you are wrong. There are very few naturally occurring lakes that have substantial dams compared to flooded areas such as those in the Tennessee Valley Authority or in large canyons of the West. I would say that Niagara falls, which drains the Great Lakes, is a big exception to the rule. 

Then I stand corrected Ron

• Like 1

(edited)

On 5/13/2023 at 10:22 AM, Boat said:

The EIA is an arm of the oil industry and always has been. This is why predictions for the future always predict a rosy FF future and totally underestimate the future of renewables. Republicans, Saudi, Russian and many other enemies of renewables are not chart readers. Never have been. Fortunately many of the biggest companies in the world care about self preservation. Something FF proponanuts are willing to sacrifice. 😎

The EIA is a branch of the U.S. government, under the rubric of Biden & Co.

That means an oil future as far as the current White House is concerned, which means that they hope that the average Biden supporter will continue to drive fossil fuel cars and maintain the family auto.

If the average Biden supporter loses their family vehicle, there will be political repercussions.

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

What would you do if you were caught in the storm?  Would an anchor pull you under the waves? Use a floating anchor? Drift? 

So why design a wind turbine that won't operate 99% of the time? 

Most wind turbines are rated up to about 55mph Thereafter they shut down and  turn so that they are least resistant to the wind. 

55mph wind (Force 10 Beaufort) are extremely rare on land outside of the hurricane zones and very infrequent offshore. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, notsonice said:

sustained 40 mph on the ground level means gusts of up to 60 mph 200 feet up

Sometimes in the UK you see wind turbine output fall at the peak of a storm over the north sea. I assume this is due to a proportion of the turbines shutting down or feathering their blades to reduce output. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ron Wagner said:

Looking over the whole of the UK (the windiest place in Europe)  for this week the highest wind gusts are predicted to be around 36mph.

Wind turbines can cope with gusts (by definition less than 20 seconds)  well over 55mph due to their inertia 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 5:11 PM, notsonice said:

WORTHLESS BS....You are the King of it....

as you stated before you are ignored on your writings........for good reason

Worthless BS

Thank you. If the most absurd science can have Ig Nobel Prize; the most absurd news could have Most absurd Media Award....... Can my King of Worthless BS be granted a crown, please? Thank you.

There, you do not have anything better to say besides negating things you do not want to accept, for some reasons. 

IMG_20230509_170712.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 5/15/2023 at 2:57 AM, TailingsPond said:

No.

First off you need to add something somewhat novel to get a Ph.D.

Secondly, quoting / referencing is not plagiarism.   Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

"If I have seen further it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants."

All advances in knowledge are incremental, building off earlier ideas.

Ahemmmnnn..... Would like to provide some novel ideas from phd thesis in the market...

1. P53 is a known gene essential in pathogenesis of cancer. This thesis aims to look at activities of p53 in fruitfly species 2 and 3, compared to species 1. 

(Note: Species 2 and 3 are similar to species 1 but with different names and mild difference).

2. Mangrove is known to be a carbon sink area. This thesis aims to investigate if bubbling crabs contribute to carbon sink of mangrove. 

3. This thesis aims to show if potato can be used to treat covid... 

Plagiarism is copying work of others without giving credit. 

Research is copying words of others to support similar findings in one's work, with credit given in references listed. 

Thank you giants...🥳

IMG_20230515_161004.jpg

(edited)

3 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

This is simply market panic induced by restrictive monetary policies attempting to curb inflation.

Temporary market panic always resolves in line with fundamental economic forces and trends.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/IEA-Oil-Bears-Are-Disregarding-An-Imminent-Supply-Shortage.html

"Oil prices have been trending lower due to economic concerns and a slower-than-expected rebound in Chinese oil demand.

The International Energy Agency has said that bearish sentiment does not take into account tightening oil markets.

In the second half of the year, the IEA sees oil demand eclipsing supply by 2 million barrels per day.:

Edited by Ecocharger

1 minute ago, Ecocharger said:

This is simply market panic induced by restrictive monetary policies attempting to curb inflation.

Temporary market panic always resolves in line with fundamental economic forces and trends.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/IEA-Oil-Bears-Are-Disregarding-An-Imminent-Supply-Shortage.html

"Oil prices have been trending lower due to economic concerns and a slower-than-expected rebound in Chinese oil demand.

The International Energy Agency has said that bearish sentiment does not take into account tightening oil markets.

In the second half of the year, the IEA sees oil demand eclipsing supply by 2 million barrels per day.:

You may well be right Eco as the oil markets are notoriously difficult to predict which is why I made no comment on the post. Predicting them tends to make most people look foolish at some point.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2023 at 6:02 PM, Ron Wagner said:

Jim Sacia

Mark Mills, senior fellow at The Manhattan Institute, shares some eye-opening realities dealing with wind and solar.

He contradicts many, including our own current administration, who believe whole heartedly that it is our future.

There are some Mark Mills haters and critics. Do your own research before you buy into their hatred and criticism.

I am far more in Mr. Mills camp than the current administration’s camp. Certainly not a scientist, but arguably an educated observer, I cringe with every commercial, and there are many, pushing electric vehicles.

The infrastructure necessary to support these vehicles isn’t even close to meeting the demand.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Hybrids make sense to me. They can sustain themselves with their back up on board gasoline. I am writing this in Utah, where Jenny and I are vacationing. We are driving a Prius Hybrid getting 51 mpg. It almost makes me ashamed to go back home to my 16 mpg pickup.

We cannot build enough solar and wind machines to supply us 24-7. There is no electric utopia just over the horizon. It doesn’t exist and it never will.

Simple physics reveals that the sun’s photons can be converted to electrons at 33%. Our best conversion rate currently is 26% efficiency. For wind, the maximum capture is 60% efficiency, we currently are at 45%. Remember also that the sun must shine and the wind must blow.

The world’s largest battery factory, owned by Tesla in Nevada, would take 500 years to build enough batteries for just one day’s supply of America’s electricity needs. This should help explain why after 20 years and billions of dollars in subsidies, we are at only 3% of meeting our energy needs with wind and solar.

To me, what is truly perplexing, is how our major manufacturing companies have charged all out to become totally electric. Ford’s new electric vehicle plant in Tennessee is the best example.

This very morning, watching the news in Utah, a new Ford F150 electric pickup caught fire at its manufacturingplant, destroying it and two beside it, due to a battery fire. Fighting these battery fires is a significant challenge for fire departments.

One electric car battery weighs approximately one half ton. The elements required to build that battery will require massive new mining efforts in areas that we need to protect for obvious environmental reasons.

EV owners love to tell us that they are zero emission. Not even close! If you consider the production cost, especially the 1000 lb. battery, over the life of the vehicle, the cost of charging the battery over its lifetime may exceed the life time expense of a gas powered car.

The waste obtained from worn out batteries, solar panels and wind turbines will be astronomical.

Maybe we should consider hydro carbons which are in abundant supply and readily available. This is the basis for all of our current needs and will supply us well into the future. They are becoming cleaner all the time.

Oh, you say that we must clean up our environment. If you study your lesson you will realize that the requirements for wind and solar production and electric vehicles on the massive scale necessary to meet our needs, which they never can, will create an environmental nightmare that is nearly unimaginable.

Experts tell us it will require mining for such elements as cobalt and lithium up to 2000% increase and in many parts of the world that cannot be accessed. Why aren’t our policy makers studying this before they tell us how “electric” we will be by 2032?

For those who choose to believe that electric vehicles are the wave of the future and far more environmentally friendly, when you look at the big picture you will be greatly disappointed.

Jim Sacia is a Pectonica resident. He served as an Illinois state representative from January 2003 to September 2013.

This article originally appeared on Rockford Register Star: Your turn: Electric vehicles are not ready for prime time

On 5/14/2023 at 6:02 PM, Ron Wagner said:

Jim Sacia

- ADVERTISEMENT -

58 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Lol, that’s rather bullish since demand can’t even match the highs of 2019. And yes Mr Eco, you’ve been making similar statements since you showed up here. Let’s not forget your monthly coal growing demand that never materializes. Can’t wait for next months bullish FF prediction. It will be a cut and paste. You know all that nat gas infrastructure being built? All those huge shortages that will drive demand? Looks like the rig counts keep dropping with little demand growth. Oops. I’ve been writing about stranded FF assets for a couple years since renewables hit the cost break even point. Some of us get it while others will always be a crouton short of a nice salad. 

• Haha 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

9 hours ago, specinho said:

1. P53 is a known gene essential in pathogenesis of cancer. This thesis aims to look at activities of p53 in fruitfly species 2 and 3, compared to species 1. 

(Note: Species 2 and 3 are similar to species 1 but with different names and mild difference).

That actually could be useful information for a cancer researcher.

If the different species have different p53 activities (low, medium, high) it could useful when screening for agents that modify p53 activity.  If a new treatment candidate effects the high p53 expressors differently than the low p53 group it's highly likely your new treatment is successfully modulating p53 activity.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 12:17 AM, TailingsPond said:

That actually could be useful information for a cancer researcher.

If the different species have different p53 activities (low, medium, high) it could useful when screening for agents that modify p53 activity.  If a new treatment candidate effects the high p53 expressors differently than the low p53 group it's highly likely your new treatment is successfully modulating p53 activity.

Lifespan of fruitfly is few days to a week, right? 'o' '-' 

If they could live long enough to develop it.... >.<

How would cancerous fruit fly help mankind?

IMG_20230517_020653.jpg

• Haha 1

(edited)

16 hours ago, specinho said:

Lifespan of fruitfly is few days to a week, right? 'o' '-' 

If they could live long enough to develop it.... >.<

How would cancerous fruit fly help mankind?

The short lifespan can be useful, it allows you to see if anything is passed onto the next generation (epigentics).

As already mentioned they can be used for screening cancer treatment candidates.

Here is a reference ;)

Fruit fly for anticancer drug discovery and repurposing

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9949803/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9949803/table/T1/?report=objectonly

Edited by TailingsPond
  • Haha 1

Fracking is destroying the world's fresh water!!!

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, bloodman33 said:

Fracking is destroying the world's fresh water!!!

Yer frackin' stupid if you believe that crap!! Try to read and get educated before making retarted statements!!!!

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Haha 2