dittrick63

Toyota wants to eliminate most of its vehicle sales by 2030

On 8/24/2021 at 3:57 PM, Sebastian Meana said:

imagen.thumb.png.5fe7da1601279a611b567a953fdb3c3f.png
 you may like EVs but i like more the idea of lifting the bonnet of a wagon and seeing this

EVs are quartz watches, 11% of the cost of mantaining a car for a family in america is the fuel, even if electricity was free it wouldn't affect it that much, insurance is more expensive, all technology in cars breaks down, and is expensive to repair, EV are no the exception

however as i posted before moving people by mass transit would cost  5.4% as much as moving by car does, money saved that would be better spent on cars as a personal toy for the weekends or special ocasion more than as a appliance,

And isnt like Chevy cant make power for the cheap, thats the only thing american car makers are good to,  they made the Holden HSV for half the price of a P100D, you put a bigger supercharger or bolt a couple turbos on it and  you have a faster car with well over 1000 horsepower.

and you just have to take a walk outside and see the modern ¨cars¨ all are bland boring grey, black or white jacked up compact cars they call SUV with plastic ugly parts, and the only reason people moves by car is because unlike Rail tracks in most of the world roads are built on taxpayer money and the concerns of the transit companies, safety, comfort, economy, silence, becamse the concern of the consumer and you now only see these things

There's nothing special, cool, interesing or remarkable about these damned things , and making them electric will not solve the problem of the modern car, is very bad at doing the job of moving people,
Hyundai Tucson Colours in India (4 Colours) - CarWale

I think that modern vehicles are far superior than the older ones and are far more powerful. More powerful than they need to be. I like a continuously variable transmission as on my Mitsubishi Mirage also. Gasoline prices play a role in vehicle choices. People have gotten around the government mandates by buying trucks and vans. 

On 8/26/2021 at 12:40 AM, Sebastian Meana said:

Today having a high performance car is not really an option as a commuter vehicle or daily driver car, having a 800hp rocket isnt a option to go to work and back not because one cant buy one and do it but because the fuel or electricity bill will set you back,

The 1,000 horsepower Tesla Plaid is rated at 100 MPGe. Just sayin'

On 8/29/2021 at 5:00 AM, Jay McKinsey said:

The 1,000 horsepower Tesla Plaid is rated at 100 MPGe. Just sayin'

Around 20KWh/100KM, at full throttle it will drain the battery in 8 minutes

(edited)

9 minutes ago, Sebastian Meana said:

Around 20KWh/100KM, at full throttle it will drain the battery in 8 minutes

Do you have a link for that? Or is that your own deduction?

Regardless, driving at full throttle is not something you can do on public roads for more than a few seconds at a time.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

Just now, Jay McKinsey said:

Do you have a link for that? Or is that your own deduction?

100KWh battery, 1000HP=750KW(ish), 100/750=0.13H, 0.13 x 60 minutes = 7.8 minutes

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Sebastian Meana said:

100KWh battery, 1000HP=750KW(ish), 100/750=0.13H, 0.13 x 60 minutes = 7.8 minutes

Driving at full throttle is not something you can do on public roads for more than a few seconds at a time. Your tricked out dragster will get 8 mpg cruising at 80 mph but the Plaid will get 100 mpge. At full throttle your dragster would run out of gas after about 8 minutes as well.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

14 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Driving at full throttle is not something you can do on public roads for more than a few seconds at a time. Your tricked out dragster will get 8 mpg cruising at 80 mph but the Plaid will get 100 mpge. 

i get 23UsMPG on a 3.6L Falcon with three twin barrel holley carburetors in city, in highway at 70MPh i get 28MPg,

Gift me a 2500HP engine and in that 2500hp vette i suspect that thanks to electronics (and the fact it doesnt weight anything)  one would get around the same. You just learn how to use the throttle

However i use Compressed Natural Gas most of the time and Ethanol when i want to be an asshole, for CNG i pay around 0.28USD/M3 from which i get 10KMh, or 2.8 dollars for every 100KM

In average a Tesla Model S will get 26KWh/100KM in average, and 20KWh/100KM if you are careful, depending where you live you multiply 20-26 x whatever electricity costs, with south australia electricity prices of around 350USD/MWh you should pay around 8 dollars per 100KM

Edited by Sebastian Meana

(edited)

1 hour ago, Sebastian Meana said:

i get 23UsMPG on a 3.6L Falcon with three twin barrel holley carburetors in city, in highway at 70MPh i get 28MPg, in a vette 2000hp vette i suspect that thanks to electronics (and the fact it doesnt weight anything)  one would get around the same. You just learn how to use the throttle

However i use Compressed Natural Gas most of the time and Ethanol when i want to be an asshole, for CNG i pay around 0.28USD/M3 from which i get 10KMh, or 2.8 dollars for every 100KM

In average a Tesla Model S will get 26KWh/100KM in average, and 20KWh/100KM if you are careful, depending where you live you multiply 20-26 x whatever electricity costs, with south australia electricity prices of around 350USD/MWh you should pay around 8 dollars per 100KM

You don't tell us how much hp your Falcon has. Are three twin barrel carburetors supposed to be impressive? Sounds like something out of the 1950's that my father had on his car in high school. (I grew up in Modesto, CA, home of American Graffiti, a serious hot rod town.) How fast does it do 0-100KM? 

What is this magical 2,000hp vette with electronics of which you speak? Your vette number is just a guess, and it requires learning how to use the throttle.

The new corvette:The Corvette earns EPA fuel economy ratings of 15 mpg city, 27 mpg highway, and 19 mpg combined. https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/corvette

So no, your magical 2,000hp vette does not get better mileage than the brand new stock model.

If you drive normal in a Model S Plaid, use autopilot no learning involved, you get 16KWh/100KM (100KWh battery, 628KM range).  Here in California, known for our high electric rates of .20KWh USD, that works out to $3.20 USD per 100KM. 

Gasoline at $5.00 per gallon, California gas price, your 25mpg Falcon would be $12.50 USD per 100KM.

The new Corvette is $16.34 USD per 100KM.

And you have way overstated the electricity cost in South Australia.

South Australia electricity prices fall below 20c kWh AUD https://wattever.com.au/south-australia-electricity-prices-fall-below-20-cents/ 

Edited by Jay McKinsey

35 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

You don't tell us how much hp your Falcon has. Are three twin barrel carburetors supposed to be impressive? Sounds like something out of the 1950's that my father had on his car in high school. (I grew up in Modesto, CA, home of American Graffiti, a serious hot rod town.) How fast does it do 0-100KM? 

What is this magical 2,000hp vette with electronics of which you speak? Your vette number is just a guess, and it requires learning how to use the throttle.

If you drive normal in a Model S Plaid, use autopilot no learning involved, you get 16KWh/100KM (100KWh battery, 628KM range).  Here in California, known for our high electric rates of .20KWh USD, that works out to $3.20 USD per 100KM. 

Gasoline at $5.00 per gallon, California gas price, your 25mpg Falcon would be $12.50 USD per 100KM.

And you have way overstated the electricity cost in South Australia.

South Australia electricity prices fall below 20c kWh AUD https://wattever.com.au/south-australia-electricity-prices-fall-below-20-cents/ 

This is the thing, at  the moment i dont give a fuck how much horsepower it has, i'm thinking in spending 5000USD in getting the non engine parts of a racecar, sequential 6 speed dogbox, the all around racing steel disc and steel brake pads, antiroll cage, racing suspension, so son and so for, i already get 25MPG using tech from the 1950s that i can fix with a screwdriver in my table, and from which i pay very little since i brough all parts in a junkyard.

How much does a Tesla Plaid cost? 130,000USD? for 52,000 i could buy a NRE Ford Twin turbo 454 with 1600-2500HP, i do the metalwork myself, reinforce the frame so it doesnt bend, maybe i waste another couple thousand dollars in a Dana-80 diferential, a rack and pinion steering,  at worst i would spend 70,000USD to get twice the horsepower of a Tesla plaid, and i would still have 60,000USD for fuel.

Plus why i should care the fuel prices in California when i dont live in California? the important thing is that i make a car with tech from the 1950s run for little to nothing

A guy got 40MPG from a Corvette C6 with NA, i dont see why you cant get 30MPG From one with a couple turbos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNIZ25eBMco

imagen.png.7bd0249a270905d0ff533002b95cebe9.png

Just now, Sebastian Meana said:

This is the thing, at  the moment i dont give a fuck how much horsepower it has, i'm thinking in spending 5000USD in getting the non engine parts of a racecar, sequential 6 speed dogbox, the all around racing steel disc and steel brake pads, antiroll cage, racing suspension, so son and so for, i already get 25MPG using tech from the 1950s that i can fix with a screwdriver in my table, and from which i pay very little since i brough all parts in a junkyard.

How much does a Tesla Plaid cost? 130,000USD? for 52,000 i could buy a NRE Ford Twin turbo 454 with 1600-2500HP, i do the metalwork myself, reinforce the frame so it doesnt bend, maybe i waste another couple thousand dollars in a Dana-80 diferential, a rack and pinion steering,  at worst i would spend 70,000USD to get twice the horsepower of a Tesla plaid, and i would still have 60,000USD for fuel.

Plus why i should care the fuel prices in California when i dont live in California? the important thing is that i make a car with tech from the 1950s run for little to nothing

A guy got 40MPG from a Corvette C6 with NA, i dont see why you cant get 30MPG From one with a couple turbos

imagen.png.7bd0249a270905d0ff533002b95cebe9.png

Ah, changing the topic from driving a fast car to a cheap old beater. You are the one that compared your Falcon efficiency to the Plaid.  Interestingly you don't provide a cost for all the time spent on building your Frankenstein.  

Your $70K car would lose to a $60K Tesla Model 3 Performance in 0-100KM, which is the acceleration that matters for daily drivers. Oh and the Model 3 Performance gets better mileage than the Plaid.

EV's charge off peak over night:

image.thumb.png.3ae3c265129c1f1fbb4964d661e7f33d.png

(edited)

41 minutes ago, Sebastian Meana said:

Ahhh...

Does that "homebuilt" come with a warranty?

Or a dealership network? 

Or will it pass state emmisions testing to enable licensing?

Sounds like you would rather not need either.

If you do a lot of the assembly/fab yourself, what is a reasonable labor rate (including overtime and benefits).

That said, restoring/homebuilding is a "labor of love".

Edited by turbguy

8 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Ah, changing the topic from driving a fast car to a cheap old beater. You are the one that compared your Falcon efficiency to the Plaid.  Interestingly you don't provide a cost for all the time spent on building your Frankenstein.  

Your $70K car would lose to a $60K Tesla Model 3 Performance in 0-100KM, which is the acceleration that matters for daily drivers. Oh and the Model 3 Performance gets better mileage than the Plaid.

EV's charge off peak over night:

image.thumb.png.3ae3c265129c1f1fbb4964d661e7f33d.png

At 15.62C per KWh it still 1 dollar more costly per 100KM than what i pay to run an extremely obsolete falcon on which i have spent IDK, 3000 dollars since i brough it from a countryside guy 5 years ago in the southern part of cordoba province

ProStock Racing cars with 1000HP less than the Twin turbo 454 do the 0-60MPH in 1.1 seconds, i dont say that you should give me 130,000 USD to throw away in my car instead of buying a Tesla Plaid soymobile, but if you wanna give me 130 grand i dont have any issue at all

(edited)

1 hour ago, Sebastian Meana said:

At 15.62C per KWh it still 1 dollar more costly per 100KM than what i pay to run an extremely obsolete falcon on which i have spent IDK, 3000 dollars since i brough it from a countryside guy 5 years ago in the southern part of cordoba province

ProStock Racing cars with 1000HP less than the Twin turbo 454 do the 0-60MPH in 1.1 seconds, i dont say that you should give me 130,000 USD to throw away in my car instead of buying a Tesla Plaid soymobile, but if you wanna give me 130 grand i dont have any issue at all

How many miles will the "ProStock Racing" cars operate at that duty before "something happens"?  

Maybe, 500 +/-?

WAY to unreliable for daily trips.

Hey, muscle cars are fun.

They are not practical.

They are a TOY!

Edited by turbguy

(edited)

8 hours ago, Sebastian Meana said:

in 1.1 seconds, i dont say that you should give me 130,000 USD to throw away in my car instead of buying a Tesla Plaid soymobile, but if you wanna give me 130 grand i dont have any issue at all

You need to work on your math skills.

Your Falcon gets 25mpg combined according to the numbers you presented so 40KM per gallon. The average cost of gasoline in S. Australia is over $5AUD.  https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Australia/South_Australia/gasoline_prices/ Your cost is at least $12.50AUD per 100KM.

The Model S Plaid uses 16KWh per 100KM (100KWh battery, 628KM range). At 15.62C per KWh the Plaid costs $2.49AUD per 100KM. 

Your extremely obsolete falcon costs $10 more per 100KM.

Edited by Jay McKinsey

14 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Your Falcon gets 25mpg combined according to the numbers you presented so 40KM per gallon. The average cost of gasoline in S. Australia is over $5AUD.  https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Australia/South_Australia/gasoline_prices/ Your cost is at least $12.50AUD per 100KM.

The Model S Plaid uses 16KWh/100KM (100KWh battery, 628KM range). At 15.62C per KWh the Plaid costs $2.49AUD per 100KM. 

Cars are much like the female species, indulge with caution. Up front fees generally occur during the infatuation phase.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

The Model S Plaid uses 16KWh per 100KM (100KWh battery, 628KM range). At 15.62C per KWh the Plaid costs $2.49AUD per 100KM. 

If lived in australia

But here's a fun fact

I dont

On 8/29/2021 at 1:12 AM, ronwagn said:

I think that modern vehicles are far superior than the older ones and are far more powerful. More powerful than they need to be. I like a continuously variable transmission as on my Mitsubishi Mirage also. Gasoline prices play a role in vehicle choices. People have gotten around the government mandates by buying trucks and vans. 

Oh no nevermind, electronics for engine, and i'm a guy who sees electronics with a tight look, have helped the car to start everyday when you turn the ignition key, electronic fuel injection, GDI, engine management and the more, and i kinda like unironically more small humble cars like the VW up, or the Mirage or the Dacia Sandero than i do like things like a 50,000dollar  crossover SUV that cant go off road, i wouldn't buy a Up or a Mirage but i respect them, because cheap basic easy cars dont try to be pretentious or convince you that you are buying your pass into some sort of exclusive club by filling it with stuff like the lane assist system if you cant realize you are in the wrong lane you shouldnt drive in the first place which will stop working after a year or two.

The problem is not that modenr cars cant be good, the problem is the priorities of the automaker and the demands consumer.

• Upvote 1

On 9/3/2021 at 6:07 AM, Sebastian Meana said:

Oh no nevermind, electronics for engine, and i'm a guy who sees electronics with a tight look, have helped the car to start everyday when you turn the ignition key, electronic fuel injection, GDI, engine management and the more, and i kinda like unironically more small humble cars like the VW up, or the Mirage or the Dacia Sandero than i do like things like a 50,000dollar  crossover SUV that cant go off road, i wouldn't buy a Up or a Mirage but i respect them, because cheap basic easy cars dont try to be pretentious or convince you that you are buying your pass into some sort of exclusive club by filling it with stuff like the lane assist system if you cant realize you are in the wrong lane you shouldnt drive in the first place which will stop working after a year or two.

The problem is not that modenr cars cant be good, the problem is the priorities of the automaker and the demands consumer.

I have  a subcompact a minivan and a very large van. We just chose to drive on a four thousand mile trip in the minivan instead of the big van which I prefer, but the gasoline prices made the difference. We even considered the Mitsubishi but no cruise control so my wife ruled that out. 

(edited)

What`s the point of producing something that will only slow down sales? Well, maybe they`ll bring some innovation, and it`ll be better than it was, but it's unlikely. They`ll only discourage to buy something new. I bought a used car for my experience just. Of course it's silly to buy your first car new. I have no one to show off for, I don't feel sorry for it. Then, it's cheap to maintain. If a friend of mine asks for vehicle, I don't mind it either. I don`t see the point of buying a new one if the old one is OK. I've also been to greatbritishcarjourney.com and their cars are from the early 20th century, almost all of them look much better than the newer models.

Edited by Ouallan