Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turbguy

"Weird"energy Units of measure

Who has heard of unusual measures for energy?

I'll start.

12 square feet = 1 Horsepower

• Rolling Eye 1

22 hours ago, turbguy said:

Who has heard of unusual measures for energy?

I'll start.

12 square feet = 1 Horsepower

I don't get it. energy is measured in units whose dimensions must be mass times length squared divided by time squared.   square feet is a measure of area, and horsepower is a measure of power, not energy. Power is energy divided by time.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dan Clemmensen said:

I don't get it. energy is measured in units whose dimensions must be mass times length squared divided by time squared.   square feet is a measure of area, and horsepower is a measure of power, not energy. Power is energy divided by time.

I take it you never held a steam boiler (stationary engineer's) operator license...

11 hours ago, turbguy said:

I take it you never held a steam boiler (stationary engineer's) operator license...

Sorry, no. I had two separate problems with your formula: 1) neither area nor power is a measure of energy, and 2) the "equation" fails a dimensional analysis.   If  your "equation" is A = P, then you need a conversion factor F that you did not supply and that has dimensions of mass divided by time.   A x F = P.     The factor F must be  hp/12 sq.ft.

3 hours ago, Dan Clemmensen said:

Sorry, no. I had two separate problems with your formula: 1) neither area nor power is a measure of energy, and 2) the "equation" fails a dimensional analysis.   If  your "equation" is A = P, then you need a conversion factor F that you did not supply and that has dimensions of mass divided by time.   A x F = P.     The factor F must be  hp/12 sq.ft.

Like I said it is a weird measure of energy (or power).