ronwagn

High Electricity Prices in California are a Warning Against Overreliance on Renewables

(edited)

8 hours ago, ronwagn said:

While I can understand the concern about addition heavy loads imposed by ever-increasing growth of EV's, there is a considerable power available off-peak (and even mid-day, during the low point on the California's duck curve of demand).  

That bodes well for existing fossil generators in California.  They won't have to ramp down when renewables force them to.

It's all a matter of timing as to when you charge the EV.

Is it inconvenient?  Potentially for some EV owners, but not for all.

At least, power costs don't swing with as much volativity as oil prices do.  Electricity is not a market driven by worldwide demand and supply.  It might swing with local supply and demand, but that would be a daily occurrence, and even PREDICTABLE.

Edited by turbguy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, turbguy said:

While I can understand the concern about addition heavy loads imposed by ever-increasing growth of EV's, there is a considerable power available off-peak (and even mid-day, during the low point on the California's duck curve of demand).  

That bodes well for existing fossil generators in California.  They won't have to ramp down when renewables force them to.

It's all a matter of timing as to when you charge the EV.

Is it inconvenient?  Potentially for some EV owners, but not for all.

At least, power costs don't swing with as much volativity as oil prices do.  Electricity is not a market driven by worldwide demand and supply.  It might swing with local supply and demand, but that would be a daily occurrence, and even PREDICTABLE.

Good points but California has about half of the electric car sales. That is going to be a problem unless they promote natural gas for large vehicles. The rest of the country will be watching. 

OH NO, I can’t charge my EV ……… Fossil Fuel, Even in my H2 with 11 mpg $2.84 a gallon….

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RichieRich216 said:

OH NO, I can’t charge my EV ……… Fossil Fuel, Even in my H2 with 11 mpg $2.84 a gallon….

Why can't you charge your EV??

22 minutes ago, turbguy said:

Why can't you charge your EV??

Covid spacing only 3 vehicles allowed in line.  Can you imagine the lines at the charging stations? Ohh and the divorces coming soley due to who's turn it this week to charge the car....and then there is all the "Hey i cant make it to work someone jacked my extension cord last night"....

What Lies In AZ.....

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Covid spacing only 3 vehicles allowed in line.  Can you imagine the lines at the charging stations? Ohh and the divorces coming soley due to who's turn it this week to charge the car....and then there is all the "Hey i cant make it to work someone jacked my extension cord last night"....

What Lies In AZ.....

👍😂

• Haha 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

What Lies In AZ.....

You mean like this?  As if it doesn't happen with fossil fuels?

Again, why can't you charge your EV?

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by turbguy

54 minutes ago, turbguy said:

Clipboard01.jpg

Agreed the "New Normal"....in about say 50 yrs.

image.thumb.png.1b26be7ea77567429c6acbf9908a0c29.png

similarly, if the budget allocation is declined........ what would we be expecting?? This is an opened question for your imagination..........

You tube guy was talking about time of use costs pay scheme. He has solar and a power wall. In the afternoons electric rates jump to $.52. His panels face south, the best sun. However he is considering west facing panels to capture sunset sun. He estimates a 5 year payback because of the higher priced electricity. His original system payed itself off in 8.2 years. Rates at noon run around $.25. This is how you pay for your power wall. Some don’t fear high electricity prices in Calif. Some adapt and consider the opportunities.

5 hours ago, Boat said:

You tube guy was talking about time of use costs pay scheme. He has solar and a power wall. In the afternoons electric rates jump to $.52. His panels face south, the best sun. However he is considering west facing panels to capture sunset sun. He estimates a 5 year payback because of the higher priced electricity. His original system payed itself off in 8.2 years. Rates at noon run around $.25. This is how you pay for your power wall. Some don’t fear high electricity prices in Calif. Some adapt and consider the opportunities.

This is backwards logic.

Saying that high electricity rates create opportunity is like me slashing your tires so that you can buy new ones. 

• Haha 2

(edited)

2 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

This is backwards logic.

Saying that high electricity rates create opportunity is like me slashing your tires so that you can buy new ones. 

Sounds like a great idea to someone who manufactures or sells tires.

Glass companies love big trucks, baseball, and little boys with slingshots.

Pretty sure electricity companies want more EV's.

Edited by -trance
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -trance said:

Yup!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -trance said:

Sounds like a great idea to someone who manufactures or sells tires.

Glass companies love big trucks, baseball, and little boys with slingshots.

Is Boat being sarcastic and suggesting that this is all part of the design? IE: hike electric prices to sell more panels? 

I took him seriously. I thought he honestly believed that solar is a good opportunity with high electric rates because of... solar to begin with. Suggesting the source of the problem as a solution to the problem. 

You follow? 

• Upvote 2

On 7/1/2021 at 8:44 PM, turbguy said:

Clipboard01.jpg

We do that at Krogers and Sam's Club when we can save up to $1 per gallon. Up to a fifteen minute wait sometimes. Usually when traveling long distances in our large NV3500 van.