ronwagn

Severe Drought in the West Will Greatly Reduce Electrical Production from Hydroelectric Turbines.

(edited)

21 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Do you realize what the population of California was in 1934? https://www.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_population_of_California_in_1935    39,613,493 More than six times what it was in 1935 during the dust storm in Oklahoma and nearby states. 

Edited by ronwagn
add

(edited)

1 hour ago, ronwagn said:

Indeed the dirty 30's. While i was not alive,yet being raised in the northern plain states it was as real as it gets. That occurrence gave rise the shelterbelt. Groves of trees 3/6 tree's wide over a mile long, some literally encased a one square mile tract of land. They were meant to keep the top soil being blown completely off the field...Actually the northern plain states have experienced this extreme's since the beginning of time...Speaking of extreme's pics of the 60's and snow that averaged of 8' deep.

The Ten Year Apocalypse that Nearly Destroyed Midwestern America

https://www.messynessychic.com/2015/04/03/the-ten-year-apocalypse-that-inspired-interstellar-and-nearly-destroyed-midwester-america/

dustbowl28-930x504 (1).jpg

windbreaks-for-soil-conservation.jpg

download (4).jpg

download (2).jpg

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Rainmaking must work or they wouldn't have been doing it for the last few decades. In the Midwest you can see the contrails trying to seed the clouds whenever there is a dry spell. 

Please provide a reference. The contrails I can see are caused by jetliners and a few military flights.

• Upvote 1

(edited)

Do you realize what the population of California was in 1934? https://www.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_population_of_California_in_1935

39,512 More than six times what it was in 1935 during the dust storm in Oklahoma and nearby states. 

Droughts affect different regions differently. The worst of the Dust Bowl drought was in the plains states, and California still had enough water for viable agriculture, even though the massive water projects had not yet occurred. That's why the Oakies went to California instead of elsewhere. (ref. "The Grapes of Wrath".)

Edited by Dan Clemmensen
sp
  • Upvote 2

I am in Banning, California right now in a gated community. The lawns and vegetation are all lush during this drought. I have been through the entire Southwest this trip. It all looks far better than I would have expected from the Drought Monitor which I follow every year. Apparently they measure drought by precipitation alone and it does not consider groundwater. It is the worst I have ever seen but life in the Southwest is going on as normal except for the farmers which are being restricted for irrigation water.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Great drought map here, but note the names for the levels of drought. 

3 minutes ago, Dan Clemmensen said:

Droughts affect different regions differently. The worst of the Dust Bowl drought was in the plains states, and California still had enough water for viable agriculture, even though the massive water projects had not yet occurred. That's why the Oakies went to California instead of elsewhere. (ref. "The Grapes of Wrath".)

See my new comment and drought map. The farmers are now being cut off but the population is not restricted yet as a few years ago. I thought people whould be sticking with the desert type landscaping. No way! Lots of water wasted on grass and landscaping. Hopefully there will be lots of precipitation during the next rainy season! I am about to go swimming in one of three pools in a large gated community. There is a beautiful waterfall and small pond at the entrance. No talk of cutting back. Lush lawns and landscaping is, in fact, mandated although they are small.

• Upvote 1

Do you really think they will last that long? What reference do you have?

I believe that today's Megapacks will be obsolete before they reach end-of-life, so we will never know. Within ten years, sodium-ion batteries will be available at about 10% of the $/kWh of a Megapack, and the Megapacks will be more valuable for their recycled nickel, cobalt, copper, ans lithium than the cost of replacement. Except for that, yes, the Megapacks would remain in service until their capacity drops to 50% of new, because they are fixed batteries, not vehicle batteries.

• Like 2

(edited)

28 minutes ago, Dan Clemmensen said:

Please provide a reference. The contrails I can see are caused by jetliners and a few military flights.

My eyes do not deceive me when I see them crisscrossing and coralling clouds. 

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/weather/summary.htm

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2021/03/how-cloud-seeding-can-boost-mountain-snowpack/

Edited by ronwagn
reference

6 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Do you realize what the population of California was in 1934? https://www.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_population_of_California_in_1935

39,512 More than six times what it was in 1935 during the dust storm in Oklahoma and nearby states. 

You don't even know the High Pains record droughts and how much worse than the 30's they were. 1954-1957 is still drought of record and 2011 is the single year record and 2013 is second.  1976-1979 ranks second. I was born in Randal county and lived through the 54-57 drought.  The center of the 34-37 dust bowl was Dallam County  Texas. Land management in Texas County Oklahoma was worse  with 12 % more grassland plowed under so they go the press.

13 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Corn is now often stored in mounds covered by thick plastic sheeting. Possibly coal piles should be covered similarly. If a fire started it would burn up the available oxygen and could them only smoulder a little before discovery of the smoke. It would be important to use the best means to locate the source though. Coal piles are like steep hills, possibly they should be in rows instead, that would facilitate localizing the problem. 

Surely the plastic melts and leaves a horrendous mess to clear up??

8 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I am in Banning, California right now in a gated community. The lawns and vegetation are all lush during this drought. I have been through the entire Southwest this trip. It all looks far better than I would have expected from the Drought Monitor which I follow every year. Apparently they measure drought by precipitation alone and it does not consider groundwater. It is the worst I have ever seen but life in the Southwest is going on as normal except for the farmers which are being restricted for irrigation water.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Great drought map here, but note the names for the levels of drought. 

Is that a typical drought map? ie is the Western half of the US always by far the driest and by roughly what percentage is this worse than say 50 years ago?

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:32 AM, ronwagn said:

The Columbia River dumps much of it right into the ocean. My far left sister lives on the Columbia River.

Dumps it ALL into the ocean 😃

That being said, there are proposals to pump via a 60ft diameter pipe said Columbia river to California.  One proposal went so far as to put the pipe in the ocean itself, the other up the Willamete valley and over Grants Pass.  Likewise also proposals to divert the upper snake to Salt Lake City, Las Vegas and ultimately to California.... meanwhile Feds won't allow Idahoans to pull water out for crops even though it originates in THEIR state...  Ah, corruption...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

Dumps it ALL into the ocean 😃

That being said, there are proposals to pump via a 60ft diameter pipe said Columbia river to California.  One proposal went so far as to put the pipe in the ocean itself, the other up the Willamete valley and over Grants Pass.  Likewise also proposals to divert the upper snake to Salt Lake City, Las Vegas and ultimately to California.... meanwhile Feds won't allow Idahoans to pull water out for crops even though it originates in THEIR state...  Ah, corruption...

I think that other states should be allowed to SELL their EXCESS WATER to California or other states if the public agrees to how the money is to be used. How does that sound?

11 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Is that a typical drought map? ie is the Western half of the US always by far the driest and by roughly what percentage is this worse than say 50 years ago?

No. At first the entire map of the U.S. should show and then you can specify. I have had trouble with that before. Try this https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

If it doesn't melt in our sunlight it would have to be a chemcal reaction with the particular fabric used. There are many types of fabric available in fabric covered steel truss buildings that could also store unlimited amounts of coal out of the sun and rain. They are huge. 

On 8/10/2021 at 1:27 PM, specinho said:

according to a deduction made some times ago......... rain- making helps to solve water right crisis if it drops from the sky right to the fields in need of irrigation. No one owns the sky yet, right?

Besides that, rain-making could help to reduce temperature differences between two areas and hence, the tendency to form damaging typhoon, hurricane and such?

The latest technology that draws charges seems to be fascinating. More so, after the technical issue is solved?

I wish i could supply clouds to California....... ' n '

image.png.2906febcdfe6808016ed1824d01b9673.png

The fruit and nut trees grown in California and such areas could be built in fabric covered buildings and the water could be conserved with drip irrigation and plastic covering the floor. Obviously, the vegetables could be also, in shorter buildings. Either that or import from elsewhere and ship it in but that hurts America. The government should help agriculture as much as possible. It is the most vital industry we have.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 2:13 PM, Dan Clemmensen said:

Rainmaking (if it works at all) is local. It causes clouds to rain in a different location. The moisture needs to be up there already. In CA, we don't have clouds during droughts: no water in the sky. We have clouds in the Winter. No amount of rainmaking will cause them to drop more water into the watershed, it just moves the rain around. If you want to look at a mega-engineering weather modification approach, you need to re-route the winter jet streams to bring more moisture-laden air from the Pacific  down over the California watersheds in the winter.

You don't seem to understand the role of the mountains from the Pacific Coast Range, Sierra foothills and Mountains, and even the mountains in the Mojave Desert. They all stop Clouds and feed California water to some extent. I am in Banning, California right now and we just had a flash flood warning last night! Mt. San Gorgonio is the highest Mountain in Southern California and 11,503 feet, and is right out our windows. What California doesn't catch the Rockies often do. Seeding in California makes total sense. 

(edited)

12 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

No, this is very heavy fabric. I am not sure if it is reused but should be. The fabric covered buildings are long life. It is very expensive to dry corn so it needs to be protected and dried with propane heaters. 

https://cropwatch.unl.edu/consider-pros-cons-alternative-grain-storage-methods

Edited by ronwagn
reference

16 hours ago, nsdp said:

You don't even know the High Pains record droughts and how much worse than the 30's they were. 1954-1957 is still drought of record and 2011 is the single year record and 2013 is second.  1976-1979 ranks second. I was born in Randal county and lived through the 54-57 drought.  The center of the 34-37 dust bowl was Dallam County  Texas. Land management in Texas County Oklahoma was worse  with 12 % more grassland plowed under so they go the press.

I found some interesting things on the interwebs for you to peruse. 

@ronwagn

http://www.hydro.ucla.edu/monitor_ca/archive.html

• Like 1

(edited)

25 minutes ago, QuarterCenturyVet said:

I found some interesting things on the interwebs for you to peruse. 

@ronwagn

http://www.hydro.ucla.edu/monitor_ca/archive.html

Right now some of the worst drought is in North Dakota and Montana near Glacier National Park. Thanks for the new site.

Edited by ronwagn
add
  • Upvote 1

Why not build lots of these zero emission gas plants? Instead of using water like conventional plants these use zero water and actually produce water as a by-product.

Surely all the greenies in CA are happy with zero emissions and they help with water supply which could help irrigate farmland. Cheap to build as well.

https://netpower.com/technology/

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ronwagn said:

The fruit and nut trees grown in California and such areas could be built in fabric covered buildings and the water could be conserved with drip irrigation and plastic covering the floor. Obviously, the vegetables could be also, in shorter buildings. Either that or import from elsewhere and ship it in but that hurts America. The government should help agriculture as much as possible. It is the most vital industry we have.

the intention of floor cover is excellent. It helps to reduce evaporation, keep the soil cool and less dry.

Fabric cover to keep insects out is also a good idea. But do insects usually survive weather of California? Won't they get toasted to become charred protein of something else? Or, if weather gets cold, where would they be hiding? insects are known to have no insulating fat, no? If temperature sustains at 24 to 34'C day and night, insects might not know when to stop flying since they can't sense the obvious change of comfortable temperature. Any Guinness record on winner of insects marathon? Most importantly, are there harmful insects at all to be protected from? :|

the drip might be more suitable for smaller plants like vege and ornamental plants but not so much for fruit trees? Not sure about nuts, but fruit development can be sensitive to availability of water.....?

On 8/11/2021 at 3:13 AM, Dan Clemmensen said:

Rainmaking (if it works at all) is local. It causes clouds to rain in a different location. The moisture needs to be up there already. In CA, we don't have clouds during droughts: no water in the sky. We have clouds in the Winter. No amount of rainmaking will cause them to drop more water into the watershed, it just moves the rain around. If you want to look at a mega-engineering weather modification approach, you need to re-route the winter jet streams to bring more moisture-laden air from the Pacific  down over the California watersheds in the winter.

On 8/11/2021 at 5:05 AM, ronwagn said:

Rainmaking must work or they wouldn't have been doing it for the last few decades. In the Midwest you can see the contrails trying to seed the clouds whenever there is a dry spell. 

the idea of rain making must have been to provide rain to ease water deficiency. It does not always work because people might have failed to realize the humidity or moisture in the air ought to be adequate to make it work. The old method used to be using dry ice or liquid CO2 to gather water droplets and form clouds. Newer methods use salt and charged drones........

Always see seedling done during day time. Why are they not doing it at night when condensation is happening? :(

That's why i mentioned my wish to supply clouds....... a ready form that will pour when enough gathered. :S