ronwagn

The Climate Scare Stories Began With Far Left Ideology Per GreenPeace Co-Founder

(edited)

20 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Several decades is the plan. Duh.  Paris calls for 2050 and China agreed to 2060.

"Picking up the tab" aka investing and making money.

Renewable energy is not the expensive choice. 

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, June 22, 2021 – The share of renewable energy that achieved lower costs than the most competitive fossil fuel option doubled in 2020, a new report by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) shows. 162 gigawatts (GW) or 62 per cent of total renewable power generation added last year had lower costs than the cheapest new fossil fuel option. https://www.irena.org/newsroom/pressreleases/2021/Jun/Majority-of-New-Renewables-Undercut-Cheapest-Fossil-Fuel-on-Cost

Full speed ahead!

Out of date material, Jay. Things have changed.

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ecocharger said:

Out of date material, Jay. Things have changed.

The only thing that has changed is that renewables are lower cost than ever before. 

• Rolling Eye 1

21 hours ago, ronwagn said:

It will take a long time for Asia, the main polluter, to get off of coal. Several decades IMO. They will try and make claims like for the future like China is. Expensive energy will reduce the competitiveness of those who overdo the green dream. We are also expected to pick up part of the tab for the Third World nations. We need to slow down and watch out for ourselves as well as the rest of the world. 

I agree with  much of this but to repeat my point, I've looked at what major coal consumers such as Japan, South Korea are doling, as opposed to what they governments say they will do, and it is very difficult to see where the determination required to wean themselves off coal will come from. I just can't see it happening at all.. anyway.. 

• Upvote 2

(edited)

7 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

The only thing that has changed is that renewables are lower cost than ever before. 

Inputs for renewables are up in cost, and will keep going up at an increasing rate.

Edited by Ecocharger
  • Upvote 2

On 7/29/2021 at 4:38 AM, ronwagn said:

I think Russia will cooperate with China while always having to watch their back. https://doaj.org/article/e13ccf17e7e54ebd97c0f6ee0f207dfa

https://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=82969&page=1

The diaspora is also near their border in Central Asia 

https://fpc.org.uk/chinese-expansion-in-central-asia-problems-and-perspectives/

I wouldn't be surprised if China produces some fake history that Siberia was actually Chinese and then tries to claim all or part of it. A rinse and repeat option like the South China Sea and nine dot BS. The only thing stopping them is Russias 8000 nukes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, NickW said:

I wouldn't be surprised if China produces some fake history that Siberia was actually Chinese and then tries to claim all or part of it. A rinse and repeat option like the South China Sea and nine dot BS. The only thing stopping them is Russias 8000 nukes. 

They already make such claims from the past. https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/07/03/where-do-borders-need-to-be-redrawn/why-china-will-reclaim-siberia

Sino-Siberia Map

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:50 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

Please tell us more about how Obama laid the groundwork that affected prior Republican presidents. I'm always up some good time travel stories. Particularly let's hear about how Obama is responsible for Watergate, Iran-Contra, and the non existent WMD.

The WMD did exist, McCain and the Bushies sold them to Sadam/Iraq. Israel tracked the convoy of WMD from the inspected buildings to Syria, the US tracked them as well. CIA decided to declare that they disappeared, and eventually McCain and the CIA managed to gain control of what was left in Syria during the Obama admin via their ISIS operations. 

Obama belongs to the same system that Bushies and Clintons belong to, CIA ops, this time with Bin Tallal money to back him up and split loyalty with the Muslim Brotherhood. Iran contra was a Bushie project. Besides, Obama is a pet Bushie in the first place. 

On 7/30/2021 at 10:46 PM, ronwagn said:

Siberia was Tatar and Tartar and Mongolian, It was never Chinese. Indeed, Russia has explicitly told the Chinese that the borders are final and excursion into their space means instant first use of nukes. Mind you that post Mao, Deng Xiaoping tried to go independent of the Soviets so they sent an army down through Siberia to Mongolia heading into China to put the newly nationalist China back into the CCP straight and narrow. The Russian army heading in was nuked and the CCP was soon after purged of Soviet agents. Their unfortunate deal with City of London money and Kissinger and the CIA led them into other kinds of trouble. The recent hard line against Alibaba and other big Chinese tech is a sign of an ongoing purge of CIA and global banking assets out of China. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/29/2021 at 11:05 PM, Ecocharger said:
On 7/29/2021 at 7:31 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

Inputs for renewables are up in cost, and will keep going up at an increasing rate.

absolutely

The big mistake is to believe that renewable costs actually fell permanently rather than cyclically as CCGT costs plummeted during the NG glut. So along with that came down the bid for renewables. They had to cut the price. The underlying costs, however have recovered well ahead of the bid dictated by traditional fuel sources after this long period of reduced investment in capacity. It will take some years for capacity to meet demand. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 0R0 said:

Siberia was Tatar and Tartar and Mongolian, It was never Chinese. Indeed, Russia has explicitly told the Chinese that the borders are final and excursion into their space means instant first use of nukes. Mind you that post Mao, Deng Xiaoping tried to go independent of the Soviets so they sent an army down through Siberia to Mongolia heading into China to put the newly nationalist China back into the CCP straight and narrow. The Russian army heading in was nuked and the CCP was soon after purged of Soviet agents. Their unfortunate deal with City of London money and Kissinger and the CIA led them into other kinds of trouble. The recent hard line against Alibaba and other big Chinese tech is a sign of an ongoing purge of CIA and global banking assets out of China. 

Very interesting Oro, can you point me toward your source(s) of information? It is news to me, but I was pretty busy making a living in those days and it was pre internet.

10 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Very interesting Oro, can you point me toward your source(s) of information? It is news to me, but I was pretty busy making a living in those days and it was pre internet.

Siberia is from Russian enlightenment culture and history interest in high school and university. 

The attack by the Soviets and their repulsion via an H bomb from China is from refugee professors from China teaching in British Columbia after the 1970s purge of the Soviet control out of the CCP. Most are gone by now and were not permitted to publish on the matter. I heard about it from Fulford who mentioned it recently and another source from years back when I was supporting technical issues so was marginally attached to a sale of Soviet artillery to China 30 some years ago. They had been cut off, obviously. 

• Great Response! 1

(edited)

15 hours ago, 0R0 said:

Siberia is from Russian enlightenment culture and history interest in high school and university. 

The attack by the Soviets and their repulsion via an H bomb from China is from refugee professors from China teaching in British Columbia after the 1970s purge of the Soviet control out of the CCP. Most are gone by now and were not permitted to publish on the matter. I heard about it from Fulford who mentioned it recently and another source from years back when I was supporting technical issues so was marginally attached to a sale of Soviet artillery to China 30 some years ago. They had been cut off, obviously. 

I need to study up on Siberia since it is where Native Americans from Alaska to Argentina came from. I am part Apache so am especially interested. I see some strong similarities from photos of Native Siberians. I am referring to old photos in both cases. 

https://www.geocurrents.info/place/russia-ukraine-and-caucasus/siberia/siberian-genetics-native-americans-and-the-altai-connection

Y-Haplogroup-Q-Map-300x153.jpg

Edited by ronwagn
reference

16 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I need to study up on Siberia since it is where Native Americans from Alaska to Argentina came from. I am part Apache so am especially interested. I see some strong similarities from photos of Native Siberians. I am referring to old photos in both cases. 

https://www.geocurrents.info/place/russia-ukraine-and-caucasus/siberia/siberian-genetics-native-americans-and-the-altai-connection

Y-Haplogroup-Q-Map-300x153.jpg

Looks like seal hunting along the arctic sea coast brought central Siberians to the Americas. Probably at the end of the ice age. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/30/2021 at 7:46 PM, ronwagn said:

Their "logic" is hilarious. They were CONQUERED by the bai nu yangguodzu from the North, which is why they built the freaking Great Wall of China in the first place! Now they claim, since they were conquered By them, they're part of the same country. Next they'll claim Great Britain using the same "logic"

• Great Response! 1

I have no trust in a leftist trying to "explain" science to engineers and geologists, I mean you are of the same folks who believe there are 60 genders, right? Ahh yes..."Science" alright. 

On 7/28/2021 at 6:27 AM, ronwagn said:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/climate-scare-story-began-with-far-left-ideology-greenpeace-co-founder_3916103.html

Patrick Moore talks about why he left Greenpeace and why the the push for net-zero emissions is an unattainable goal
BY ISAAC TEO

July 27, 2021 Updated: July 27, 2021

Patrick Moore (back, 2nd L) poses with other crew members of the first Greenpeace voyage from Vancouver to Alaska to protest the U.S. hydrogen bomb tests in the Aleutian Islands in September 1971. (Photo by Robert Keziere)

Excerpt:

The Importance of Carbon Dioxide

When it comes to climate change, the continued narrative of carbon dioxide being a “bad thing” and “destroying the world” is contrary to what the scientific community has found, Moore says. 

Moore currently serves as a director of the CO2 Coalition, established in 2015 to create educational material on the importance of carbon dioxide. The organization has published papers presenting scientific data to dispute that CO2 emissions are causing global warming. 

Contrary to what climate alarmists claim, Moore says, “carbon dioxide is the basis of all life on Earth.”

“It makes the oceans less alkaline, thus making it suitable for life,” and “on land, CO2 makes the greening of the Earth plus it makes plants more efficient with water.” 

In April 2016, an article published in Nature funded in part by NASA found that CO2 fertilization has had significant impact on the greening of the planet.

“From a quarter to half of Earth’s vegetated lands has shown significant greening over the last 35 years largely due to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide,” reads a post on NASA’s site on the study.

Useful idiots, too.

The "acidification of the oceans" has the same inventor as "global warming", one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svante_Arrhenius

who helped set up the Nobel committee, awarded the first one in chemistry to himself and consequently prevented many scientist greater than himself from getting it, especially Mendeleev (the periodic table guy) who he hated deeply for advocating "abiogenic" (not fossil!) origin of oil. (And generally considering Russians racially inferior)

This is how it works. According to his acid model

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid–base_reaction#Arrhenius_theory

does dissolving CO2 in water produce a "hydrocarbonic" acid. Which must invariably produce runaway acidification of the oceans? However, no such thing appears on a Ph meter, at least not for seawater. According to more modern acid-base theories, does dissolving a neutral gas like CO2 produce a "conjugate acid and base pair" the sum effect of which is zilch. Thus, together with imaginary hydrocarbonic acid, there is also a hydrocarbon base, which only ever exist together in aqueous solution.

Damage done to chemical sciences

1) There is still no model of acid-base interaction which are not related to water at all. Even though most strong mineral acids aren't. For example, all the treatments of HCl or HI is in aqueos solution in water. Without water, do they become invisible to Ph meters and indicator papers, calibrated for aqueous log scale

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_halide

For example, is the familiar OTC chemical HCl (sometime muriatic acid) merely a 33%-37% solution in water. Its "anhydride" is HCl gas, which is known to corrode anything made out of copper or iron alloys near instantaneously, including conventional stainless.

2) There is H+ charge carriers for protons, but the name of H- carriers is unspeakable. No electrons, no holes there. There is only a a convolution called H3O+/OH- called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydronium The H- anion does exists, but largely for the benefits of visiting physics geeks. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydride

Who are the only ones who can explain how the "proton exchange membrane" in hydrogen fuel cell works. Which to me, looks like the "salt bridge" in the regular electrolytic battery cell, except with opposite sign.

3) Your basic alkaline batteries are broken? Ever had one burst from some kind of white crap? This process is informally called lye lock, in which the aqueous KOH electrolyte spontaneously forms a solid soap that is much larger than its original volume (would take a lot more water to dissolve it back as concentrated lye) The aqueous acid-base model cannot explain this, yet it is well known in organic lab. Runaway saponification. According to standard Ph scale, KOH and NaOH lye solutions are as strong a base as it gets, at 14+. Ditto for acids. There is no difference between a 2% and 98% sulfuric acid solutions. Both are as strong as acids gets, a under 0.

American meth-cooking rednecks to the rescue. This

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electride

should be the electrolyte in your batteries instead of soapy lye, as a better counterpart to rather powerful metal anode. Apparently, the meth fiends figured out a way to shake a piece of lithium metal in a Coke bottle just the right way so that it alternates between reacting violently with water at the bottom of the bottle and being quenched by ether floating on top of that. The final result is a bright blue solution in ether which is said to be "ionic", (contain nothing but salvated electrons) and is off-the-scale strong base. This presumably inspired the "blue meth" they were cooking in "Breaking Bad", using a sane version of this reaction called the "Birch reduction.

Another well known process of runaway formation of a superbase beyond anything possible in aqueous solution is the so-called

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_liquor

plaguing Kraft pulping. What the point of all this? Well, did you know that young Greta is a remote descendant of Arrhenius, still working the Swedish industrial interests?

The basic idea is that there are great many energy intensive industrial processes which are actually CO2-negative! Switching to them would make you carbon negative!

• Great Response! 1

On 7/28/2021 at 6:27 AM, ronwagn said:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/climate-scare-story-began-with-far-left-ideology-greenpeace-co-founder_3916103.html

Patrick Moore talks about why he left Greenpeace and why the the push for net-zero emissions is an unattainable goal
BY ISAAC TEO

July 27, 2021 Updated: July 27, 2021

Patrick Moore (back, 2nd L) poses with other crew members of the first Greenpeace voyage from Vancouver to Alaska to protest the U.S. hydrogen bomb tests in the Aleutian Islands in September 1971. (Photo by Robert Keziere)

Excerpt:

The Importance of Carbon Dioxide

When it comes to climate change, the continued narrative of carbon dioxide being a “bad thing” and “destroying the world” is contrary to what the scientific community has found, Moore says. 

Moore currently serves as a director of the CO2 Coalition, established in 2015 to create educational material on the importance of carbon dioxide. The organization has published papers presenting scientific data to dispute that CO2 emissions are causing global warming. 

Contrary to what climate alarmists claim, Moore says, “carbon dioxide is the basis of all life on Earth.”

“It makes the oceans less alkaline, thus making it suitable for life,” and “on land, CO2 makes the greening of the Earth plus it makes plants more efficient with water.” 

In April 2016, an article published in Nature funded in part by NASA found that CO2 fertilization has had significant impact on the greening of the planet.

“From a quarter to half of Earth’s vegetated lands has shown significant greening over the last 35 years largely due to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide,” reads a post on NASA’s site on the study.

If you are interested in repenting GreenPeace cofounders, there is another one, called Bruno Comby, who now runs

http://ecolo.org/intro/introen.htm

Environmentalists for Nuclear Energy. He started out with rather thick eponymous brochure written in French, but the English version has been commissioned and is distributed for free by the IAEA if you really want it. The summary is as follows - what do you like better? A barrel of low grade nuclear tails or a whole trainload of soot emitted into atmosphere by a coal-burning plant producing the same power.

Now, lets take a closer look at Sweden. You know how we discussed how when one oligarch devours all others and ends up owning more than half a national economy, the local politics stops making any difference. Everybody in position of power works for him. Well, that happened to Sweden long time ago. See the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallenberg_family

Wiki says the known assets generate a $154 bln a year annual turnover, making them the single richest European oligarchic clan known by name. This is liquid capital, not like the new guys in front of Forbes list, which mostly have equity in company they started, but cannot really easily sell (being insiders and all) Especially Musk, recently at the front of the list, is a relative pauper, with all his Tesla and SpaceX stock pawned for pennies on the dollar to the Wall Street. Even Carlos Slim, who owns half the Mexican economy, is not too rich in comparison. Those guys own most of Scandinavia. Pardon me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennoscandia

A new geological formation recently discovered to commemorate Finish adherence to proper Nordic virtues. Which includes most skillful sitting on all the chairs at once. Take the Wallenbergs, for example. The best known is Raoul Wallenberg, a Swedish diplomat who saved a bunch of Jews. While other, less known Wallenbergs provided the Nazis with all of their iron ore and all of their ball bearings. Throughout the entire WWII! And got away with it. One could've stopped the Nazi war effort by simply blocking the ball bearing exports out of Sweden.

So, lets check one of my favorite indicators for nefarious Finnish activity, a company called Wärtsilä, which makes large internal combustion engines, including marine engines and stationary generators. Now that they are a Wallenberg asset, too, ever more free to circumvent the US sanctions on Russia :) Check out a plethora of new plans for carbon neutral fuels

https://www.wartsila.com/insights/article/a-taste-of-a-carbon-neutral-energy-future

https://www.wartsila.com/media/news/18-05-2020-wartsila-and-vantaa-energy-ltd-to-cooperate-on-a-carbon-neutral-synthetic-biogas-production-project-in-finland-2709538

and even, carbon negative

https://www.wartsila.com/energy/power-to-x-and-future-fuels

How can you burn some kind of fuel, while also sequestering CO2. "Creating fuel out of thin air" Ain't it beautiful? How does it work?

A 10,000 feet birds eye view is the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water–gas_shift_reaction

this

CO + H2O ⇌ CO2 + H2

You take a bit of environmental hydrogen, and bad-bad CO2 and exchange it for for some water vapor and CO, carbon monoxide. Unfortunately, is monoxide actually deadly to humans and water vapor a far more powerful "greenhouse" agent.

Now, a combination of hydrogen and CO is usually produced by

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrolysis

(incomplete burn in absence of oxygen) For example whatever IKEA leftovers you have laying around, produce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas

which is an impure form of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syngas

a combination of CO and H2 the Nazis invented how to turn into synthetic gasoline. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer–Tropsch_process

You could also burn the stuff directly (The Nazis converted almost a million civilian vehicles to wood gas during WWII) and you can also use it to poison Slavs using

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_van

(The article is locked due to hapless attempts to shift the invention to the Soviet NKVD. Which involves a bad misunderstanding of its working. A conventional ICE, working against increasing pressure, will choke itself before it suffocates the prisoners inside. You need monoxide to kill)

Evidence you cannot kill Slavs by CO2 suffocation from car engine exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qFW8aRtr60

This is just one example. There are several more, all from Russia, Ukraine or Poland. Basically, if a Slav mechanic sticks his face into engine exhaust, the engine chokes immediately, producing a pile of fine soot. A way to genuinely Slavic carbon sequestration? Reminds me of a Russian joke about a Ukrainian fellow, who believes in fundamental goodness of Nazis and volunteers for gas chamber every day :)

OK, why am I watching the nefarious Finish activities? Because, for longest time, was the Finish main plan for environmental future burning peat! The rest of EU categorically disagreed, with peat being officially coal in earliest stage of formation, or as fossil as it gets. But Finns are known to be in no rush (or is it Russian lore only?) Give or take 5,000 years and peat renews. See, Finland got nothing else. No sun, no major rivers and no wind. Only swamp.

In the meantime, did plucky Finns throw a complete monkey wrench into EU-wide biofuel scam. Due to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neste_Renewable_Diesel

Which allows any plant oil to be converted into what looks like conventional biodiesel or mineral one. Now we hear that the "first generation" biofuels were not  all that great, because they cut into human food supply and all that. Which is BS. Everybody's favorite biofuel feedstock is Sumatran palm oil, because it is cheap. Some crocodile tears to deforestation of orangutan habitats aside.

However, post-NESTLE, the biofuel situation looks like that

1. There are diesel-like fuels that look like biofuels that have additional oxygen and are thus useful in summer in a place like LA which might get smoggy otherwise

2. There are mineral-like fuels, which have a very low "gel point" and thus may be useful in winter.

The last one ruins it for EU. The only bio-fuel suitable for winter use was supposed to be rape (beautiful name)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed

a very complicated culture traditionally grown in Western Europe, with each landplot used once every four years. Rapeseed produced the vegetable oil with lowest known gel point of -18C. Was also always the most popular cooking oil at least in Germany and Netherlands. (insert some argument about it having the most unsaturated somethings or rather that appeal to hippies) IMHO, none of this is very interesting, because nothing deep-fried is very good for you, period :)

This left me unsatisfied somehow. Because, as it turns out, there are plenty of plants that produce oils well in excess of even the notorious Sumatran palm oil, for example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatropha

With the caveat that the oil is toxic waste certainly not suitable for human consumption. On the positive side, also not sensitive to irrigation water quality. Any unprocessed industrial or city affluent will do. This benefits the poorer 3rd world countries. Another uprising, but standard beneficiary is Russia, if we apply the Canadian approach called

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola_oil

Which has following useful observables

a) Rebranding from god-awful rapeseed. Yay!

b) Claims of being more wholesome than regular rapeseed on the account of having extra low amount of somethings called glucosulphates. Don't know what that does, so I went to my doc and planted a plausible story of having a horrible allergy to them no good glucosulphates which I can smell in biodiesel admixture of my car. Especially in winter. I believe to be the first person EU wide with such a medical condition :) Unfortunately, the Canadian dolts cannot conclusively prove, which of their Canola is GMO and which is not.

c) The actual plot seems to be trading the acreage (which they got) for yield (which they don't) This does not actually works in Canada, which does not really have an extra cheap source of fuel for agricultural machinery. Only believes that it does. Russia's got it for real. (Biden put the Canadian dolts out of their misery with the Keyhole XL pipeline. Trump obviously intended to milk the Canadian dolts for their state subsidies. With their bitumen being the worst conceivable source of oil to make fuel out of) OK, Russia got acreage

d) As it turns out, whoever it trying to grow rape on rich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernozem

soils, like Ukrainians and Canadians do, are ruining them. The plant actually prefers poor chalky soils. With the best known places to grow it being Moscow region (duh! not going to happen) and Lipetsk region (better) The source of this is a PhD agricultural scientist out of Austria the USSR tasked with surveying all of Soviet soil types with an eye to port Western European practices which give higher yields. His project still gets funded, but everybody seems to have forgotten about him. Too bad, as Russia turns into agricultural power house using more mainstream cultures, using a combination of chernozemic soil, cheap diesel fuel and cheap nitro- and potassium fertilizers.

Interestingly enough, did some 11% by weight of "traditional biofuel" go to methanol imported from Russia, where it is synth ed from natural gas. (The veggie oils, being so called triglycerides, are made out of tree fatty acids attached to a skeleton of glycerin, a heavy alcohol. Which is too viscous at room temperature and below, so the glycerin is repaved with methanol) This created a glut of glycerine in Europe that nobody really wants. You can toss it into a biogas reactor, which supposedly increases the yield, but EU bylaws prohibit this. (the source of this is anecdotal, from talking to actual operators of municipal scale biogas plants) This suggests that EU is also dishonest about anything related to "biogas" Because, contrary to popular belief, does the process not work when you feed it cow and swine manure. Only a small fraction. The rest is what a regular cattle would eat. (hence the "concrete cow" nickname) So, it very much does get into domestic cattle food chain! I presume this be the source of "farting cow" scare, aiming to make meat more expensive and more biogas available? I'd allow all kinds of aweful nanobots that digest dead flesh and human feces (the worst toxic waste there is) Instead of "concrete cow", a "concrete vulture" or "concrete scarab beetle" The EU is too chicken for that. Most scandalously does EU prohibit the import of any crocodile or alligator parts or skins, considering them exotic protected species, even though most are beyond plentiful, farmable on the cheap anywhere in Asia and taste like chicken (like any reptile) This causes the "crocodile pattern" skins used by fancy Italian designer purses to be fake, made out of cow hide. Why would you use a very expensive leather to forge a very cheap one? Also, principally dishonest approach towards the developing countries. The enterprising Chinese all-you-can eat buffets in the EU do feature kangaroo meats (allegedly sourced from Australian roadkill) and certified aquaculture sharks (not sure how it works. Do they feed everybody not in line with CCP doctrine to them?) of late, so there is hope.

• Great Response! 1

IF THE LIE IS BIG ENOUGH AND YOU TELL IT OFTEN ENOUGH, PEOPLE START TO BELIEVE IT.  Joseph Goebbels

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

If you are interested in repenting GreenPeace cofounders, there is another one, called Bruno Comby, who now runs

http://ecolo.org/intro/introen.htm

Environmentalists for Nuclear Energy. He started out with rather thick eponymous brochure written in French, but the English version has been commissioned and is distributed for free by the IAEA if you really want it. The summary is as follows - what do you like better? A barrel of low grade nuclear tails or a whole trainload of soot emitted into atmosphere by a coal-burning plant producing the same power.

Now, lets take a closer look at Sweden. You know how we discussed how when one oligarch devours all others and ends up owning more than half a national economy, the local politics stops making any difference. Everybody in position of power works for him. Well, that happened to Sweden long time ago. See the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallenberg_family

Wiki says the known assets generate a $154 bln a year annual turnover, making them the single richest European oligarchic clan known by name. This is liquid capital, not like the new guys in front of Forbes list, which mostly have equity in company they started, but cannot really easily sell (being insiders and all) Especially Musk, recently at the front of the list, is a relative pauper, with all his Tesla and SpaceX stock pawned for pennies on the dollar to the Wall Street. Even Carlos Slim, who owns half the Mexican economy, is not too rich in comparison. Those guys own most of Scandinavia. Pardon me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennoscandia

A new geological formation recently discovered to commemorate Finish adherence to proper Nordic virtues. Which includes most skillful sitting on all the chairs at once. Take the Wallenbergs, for example. The best known is Raoul Wallenberg, a Swedish diplomat who saved a bunch of Jews. While other, less known Wallenbergs provided the Nazis with all of their iron ore and all of their ball bearings. Throughout the entire WWII! And got away with it. One could've stopped the Nazi war effort by simply blocking the ball bearing exports out of Sweden.

So, lets check one of my favorite indicators for nefarious Finnish activity, a company called Wärtsilä, which makes large internal combustion engines, including marine engines and stationary generators. Now that they are a Wallenberg asset, too, ever more free to circumvent the US sanctions on Russia :) Check out a plethora of new plans for carbon neutral fuels

https://www.wartsila.com/insights/article/a-taste-of-a-carbon-neutral-energy-future

https://www.wartsila.com/media/news/18-05-2020-wartsila-and-vantaa-energy-ltd-to-cooperate-on-a-carbon-neutral-synthetic-biogas-production-project-in-finland-2709538

and even, carbon negative

https://www.wartsila.com/energy/power-to-x-and-future-fuels

How can you burn some kind of fuel, while also sequestering CO2. "Creating fuel out of thin air" Ain't it beautiful? How does it work?

A 10,000 feet birds eye view is the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water–gas_shift_reaction

this

CO + H2O ⇌ CO2 + H2

You take a bit of environmental hydrogen, and bad-bad CO2 and exchange it for for some water vapor and CO, carbon monoxide. Unfortunately, is monoxide actually deadly to humans and water vapor a far more powerful "greenhouse" agent.

Now, a combination of hydrogen and CO is usually produced by

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrolysis

(incomplete burn in absence of oxygen) For example whatever IKEA leftovers you have laying around, produce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas

which is an impure form of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syngas

a combination of CO and H2 the Nazis invented how to turn into synthetic gasoline. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer–Tropsch_process

You could also burn the stuff directly (The Nazis converted almost a million civilian vehicles to wood gas during WWII) and you can also use it to poison Slavs using

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_van

(The article is locked due to hapless attempts to shift the invention to the Soviet NKVD. Which involves a bad misunderstanding of its working. A conventional ICE, working against increasing pressure, will choke itself before it suffocates the prisoners inside. You need monoxide to kill)

Evidence you cannot kill Slavs by CO2 suffocation from car engine exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qFW8aRtr60

This is just one example. There are several more, all from Russia, Ukraine or Poland. Basically, if a Slav mechanic sticks his face into engine exhaust, the engine chokes immediately, producing a pile of fine soot. A way to genuinely Slavic carbon sequestration? Reminds me of a Russian joke about a Ukrainian fellow, who believes in fundamental goodness of Nazis and volunteers for gas chamber every day :)

OK, why am I watching the nefarious Finish activities? Because, for longest time, was the Finish main plan for environmental future burning peat! The rest of EU categorically disagreed, with peat being officially coal in earliest stage of formation, or as fossil as it gets. But Finns are known to be in no rush (or is it Russian lore only?) Give or take 5,000 years and peat renews. See, Finland got nothing else. No sun, no major rivers and no wind. Only swamp.

In the meantime, did plucky Finns throw a complete monkey wrench into EU-wide biofuel scam. Due to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neste_Renewable_Diesel

Which allows any plant oil to be converted into what looks like conventional biodiesel or mineral one. Now we hear that the "first generation" biofuels were not  all that great, because they cut into human food supply and all that. Which is BS. Everybody's favorite biofuel feedstock is Sumatran palm oil, because it is cheap. Some crocodile tears to deforestation of orangutan habitats aside.

However, post-NESTLE, the biofuel situation looks like that

1. There are diesel-like fuels that look like biofuels that have additional oxygen and are thus useful in summer in a place like LA which might get smoggy otherwise

2. There are mineral-like fuels, which have a very low "gel point" and thus may be useful in winter.

The last one ruins it for EU. The only bio-fuel suitable for winter use was supposed to be rape (beautiful name)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed

a very complicated culture traditionally grown in Western Europe, with each landplot used once every four years. Rapeseed produced the vegetable oil with lowest known gel point of -18C. Was also always the most popular cooking oil at least in Germany and Netherlands. (insert some argument about it having the most unsaturated somethings or rather that appeal to hippies) IMHO, none of this is very interesting, because nothing deep-fried is very good for you, period :)

This left me unsatisfied somehow. Because, as it turns out, there are plenty of plants that produce oils well in excess of even the notorious Sumatran palm oil, for example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatropha

With the caveat that the oil is toxic waste certainly not suitable for human consumption. On the positive side, also not sensitive to irrigation water quality. Any unprocessed industrial or city affluent will do. This benefits the poorer 3rd world countries. Another uprising, but standard beneficiary is Russia, if we apply the Canadian approach called

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola_oil

Which has following useful observables

a) Rebranding from god-awful rapeseed. Yay!

b) Claims of being more wholesome than regular rapeseed on the account of having extra low amount of somethings called glucosulphates. Don't know what that does, so I went to my doc and planted a plausible story of having a horrible allergy to them no good glucosulphates which I can smell in biodiesel admixture of my car. Especially in winter. I believe to be the first person EU wide with such a medical condition :) Unfortunately, the Canadian dolts cannot conclusively prove, which of their Canola is GMO and which is not.

c) The actual plot seems to be trading the acreage (which they got) for yield (which they don't) This does not actually works in Canada, which does not really have an extra cheap source of fuel for agricultural machinery. Only believes that it does. Russia's got it for real. (Biden put the Canadian dolts out of their misery with the Keyhole XL pipeline. Trump obviously intended to milk the Canadian dolts for their state subsidies. With their bitumen being the worst conceivable source of oil to make fuel out of) OK, Russia got acreage

d) As it turns out, whoever it trying to grow rape on rich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernozem

soils, like Ukrainians and Canadians do, are ruining them. The plant actually prefers poor chalky soils. With the best known places to grow it being Moscow region (duh! not going to happen) and Lipetsk region (better) The source of this is a PhD agricultural scientist out of Austria the USSR tasked with surveying all of Soviet soil types with an eye to port Western European practices which give higher yields. His project still gets funded, but everybody seems to have forgotten about him. Too bad, as Russia turns into agricultural power house using more mainstream cultures, using a combination of chernozemic soil, cheap diesel fuel and cheap nitro- and potassium fertilizers.

Interestingly enough, did some 11% by weight of "traditional biofuel" go to methanol imported from Russia, where it is synth ed from natural gas. (The veggie oils, being so called triglycerides, are made out of tree fatty acids attached to a skeleton of glycerin, a heavy alcohol. Which is too viscous at room temperature and below, so the glycerin is repaved with methanol) This created a glut of glycerine in Europe that nobody really wants. You can toss it into a biogas reactor, which supposedly increases the yield, but EU bylaws prohibit this. (the source of this is anecdotal, from talking to actual operators of municipal scale biogas plants) This suggests that EU is also dishonest about anything related to "biogas" Because, contrary to popular belief, does the process not work when you feed it cow and swine manure. Only a small fraction. The rest is what a regular cattle would eat. (hence the "concrete cow" nickname) So, it very much does get into domestic cattle food chain! I presume this be the source of "farting cow" scare, aiming to make meat more expensive and more biogas available? I'd allow all kinds of aweful nanobots that digest dead flesh and human feces (the worst toxic waste there is) Instead of "concrete cow", a "concrete vulture" or "concrete scarab beetle" The EU is too chicken for that. Most scandalously does EU prohibit the import of any crocodile or alligator parts or skins, considering them exotic protected species, even though most are beyond plentiful, farmable on the cheap anywhere in Asia and taste like chicken (like any reptile) This causes the "crocodile pattern" skins used by fancy Italian designer purses to be fake, made out of cow hide. Why would you use a very expensive leather to forge a very cheap one? Also, principally dishonest approach towards the developing countries. The enterprising Chinese all-you-can eat buffets in the EU do feature kangaroo meats (allegedly sourced from Australian roadkill) and certified aquaculture sharks (not sure how it works. Do they feed everybody not in line with CCP doctrine to them?) of late, so there is hope.

Some very good information along with your Russian humor. 🤣

On 7/29/2021 at 7:16 PM, markslawson said:

I agree with  much of this but to repeat my point, I've looked at what major coal consumers such as Japan, South Korea are doling, as opposed to what they governments say they will do, and it is very difficult to see where the determination required to wean themselves off coal will come from. I just can't see it happening at all.. anyway.. 

So the West will fall apart and the fossil fuel nations will prosper? Fortunately it will all play out with voters who will gradually have some facts drilled into their consciousness. 

1 hour ago, ronwagn said:

So the West will fall apart and the fossil fuel nations will prosper? Fortunately it will all play out with voters who will gradually have some facts drilled into their consciousness. 

How is natural gas, aka methane, a "fossil fuel"? I mean, with this Solar System having a whole bunch of planetoids covered in the stuff? Oceans of LNG! I mean, we can probably blame Europa on the EU, but what about the rest? Admit it, Yankees! Were you tossing dead dinosaurs into outer space again?

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

How is natural gas, aka methane, a "fossil fuel"? I mean, with this Solar System having a whole bunch of planetoids covered in the stuff? Oceans of LNG! I mean, we can probably blame Europa on the EU, but what about the rest? Admit it, Yankees! Were you tossing dead dinosaurs into outer space again?

I am aware of our gaseous planets and their satellites but have not brought it up. I applaud you. Russians are more grounded in basic realities than some Americans. 

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2021 at 1:31 AM, Jay McKinsey said:

What kind of renewables? Major hydro and tidal, as well as PV solar at the latitude of Abu Dhabi have always been cheaper than burning stuff. Where is the revelational bit? Wind turbines will always be more expensive, from the material budget and the same PV panel only gets you half as much  somewhere in Germany and half again  in most of Russia. Some kind of non-event it seems?

On 7/30/2021 at 2:16 AM, markslawson said:

Anybody importing cheap electricity around there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penzhin_Tidal_Power_Plant_Project

(edited)

On 7/31/2021 at 4:46 AM, ronwagn said:

This claim is bogus. China certainly never laid claim beyond Mongolia.

The NYC is simply sawing discord. Going the other way

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/world/europe/russia-china-border.html

In reality what happened is that come Boxer Rebellion, were all the Chinese nationals collected and thrown into river Amur. Since it was in summer, most likely lived.

Incidentally, unlike Indiana Jones, did the Baikal Cossacks respond to ceremonial challenge of a gentlemanly fight using swords or whatever peasant utensil. They reported back to St. Peterburg that the Japanese officers tend to be pushovers, their katanas having the same configuration as Cossack shashkas, which is (in European classification) not a sword, but 1.5x handed cavalry saber with no guard. Which was way too large for most Japanese officers to wield unless on horseback, which they rarely ever did. The various kung-fu panda makeshift martial arts they found very interesting and reported to HQ that those constitute the secret arts of ninjitsu, according to captive Japanese. Thus did Baikal end up the resident Russian Imperial experts on ninjitsu arts. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_presence_in_Russia

Which they continued for a while under various White and Red administrations, till they discovered a new interesting affiliation in the Civil War - Ukrainian independence. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Ukraine (aka Transcathay)

This causes the more determinate of Ukrainian patriots to claim the area as Ukrainian land annexed by cursed Moskali to this day. Alas, the Baikal Cossacks were kicked out and are now based in Australia:

https://shkolyariki.ru/en/inostrannye-yazyki/kazaki-v-avstralii-kazaki-avstralii-sohranyayut-rossiiskuyu.html

Seems the current plan is to annex Australia and proclaim Putin Tsar. Another fellow who was operating on a region, was one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_Emil_Mannerheim

of later fame as Marshall of Finland. He was traveling undercover disguised as explorer similar to British pundits but really evaluating the feasibility of annexing Xinjiang from the Chinese. He reports a spiritual experience of being pelted by stones by Tibetan Buddhists for having impure intentions "Dalai" means "Oceanic" BTW and the fellows purport to be responsible for Pacific and Arctic waters mixing with proper salinity! This also turns out to be not too wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uvs_Lake_Basin

(not sure I got it right, but all under and in Mongolia, there is a collection of lakes of wastly different salinity that are all somehow a part of the same basin. Anyhow, this is supposed to be somehow the mother of all biosphere reserves. The British royals have unhealthy amount of interest in it)

Here is the main reasons Russians are significantly more popular in China than other "Western invaders" Ta-tam:

Chinese_Eastern_Railway-en.svg

This be the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Eastern_Railway

At various points, did the KMT (later known for Taiwan) the Japanese and even the Czechoslovak Legion participated in its operation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_of_the_Chinese_Eastern_Railway

Here is the best known episode of KMT style shareholder activism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Soviet_conflict_(1929)

(in which the KMT declared war on USSR trying to squeeze it out of the railroad shares, got its ass kicked, forcing the return to joint administration as before)

In that spirit, I interpret the Taiwanese container ship tracing a shape of a dick before getting stuck across Suez as a LOI to enter the container trade over the North Sea route, so far the sole domain of PRC's COSTCO.

The PRC Chinese also announced their intent to "enforce freedom of navigation" along the Northern Sea Route together with the US. They already chartered an elite Arctic Corps armed with extra large ushanka hats and built six heavy icebreakers. So far, no show. Presumably, waiting for US to show up? With its last heavy breaker, the Polar Star, barely afloat and others salvaged for parts, US has been largely training on Canadians, enforcing the freedom of navigation in the North West Sea Route. Just in case somebody will have to tow them home? Trump already allocated funds to additional icebreaker, but than changed his mind and reassigned them to his Space Marines. Piu! Piu! The last US ships that have as much as a de-icing kit are Ticonderoga cruisers. The carriers are entirely ineffectual due to steam catapults freezing everything shut as soon as they try to launch a plane.

The original Chinese name for Vladivostok is something like "sea cucumber falls" The Manju administration of the Qin believed the place be no good except for sea cucumber poaching by Han Chinese, a practice they did not condone.

Edited by Andrei Moutchkine