ronwagn

Europeans and Americans are beginning to see the results of depending on renewables.

(edited)

6 hours ago, nsdp said:

Nick that means the reactor had to go operational in 1961. Russia had one submarine and the US had 8.  The US has scrapped any and all nuke boats older than the Block II  Los Angeles Class, The Los Angeles was scrapped in   2010. You need to do a fact check before you start typing. Nautilus  and 1st Seawolf ,Trition,  all Skate Skipjack and Hallibut class, all George Washingtons and as of 2019 the  Ohio is the oldest sub in service.Bremerton went to nuclear decommsioning in 2020.

The USNS Enterprise was 55 years because of delay in  deliveries of the Ford.  She was the  only ship to go over 50 and that is because the Ford is ten years late,

The USA isn't the only country building nuclear subs (rolly eyeballs)

Britains first nuclear submarine - Build 1959-60. Commissioned 1963.

HMS Dreadnought (S101) - Wikipedia

I didn't say the reactor had been operating for 60 years. I said RR have been building PWR's for 60 years.  its a reference to their experience in this field. 

Take note:

On 31 August 1960, the UK's second nuclear-powered submarine was ordered from Vickers Armstrong and, fitted with Rolls-Royce's PWR1 nuclear plant,

Edited by NickW
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nsdp said:

Nick that means the reactor had to go operational in 1961. Russia had one submarine and the US had 8.  The US has scrapped any and all nuke boats older than the Block II  Los Angeles Class, The Los Angeles was scrapped in   2010. You need to do a fact check before you start typing. Nautilus  and 1st Seawolf ,Trition,  all Skate Skipjack and Hallibut class, all George Washingtons and as of 2019 the  Ohio is the oldest sub in service.Bremerton went to nuclear decommsioning in 2020.

The USNS Enterprise was 55 years because of delay in  deliveries of the Ford.  She was the  only ship to go over 50 and that is because the Ford is ten years late,

The US has no nuclear powered subs in operation???

Really???

"Yet while the Virginia Class was smaller than the Seawolf, it took advantage of new technologies and itself became a world-leading nuclear powered attack submarine."

The US is planning to build 72 -78 of these subs!

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/07/us-navys-virginia-class-submarines-get-more-tomahawk-missiles/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_submarines

http://www.gdeb.com/about/oursubmarines/

http://www.gdeb.com/about/oursubmarines/lineup/

Do you believe the US submarine fleet are all diesel powered? I think General Dynamics would disagree with you.

• Haha 2

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Really???

"Yet while the Virginia Class was smaller than the Seawolf, it took advantage of new technologies and itself became a world-leading nuclear powered attack submarine."

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2021/07/us-navys-virginia-class-submarines-get-more-tomahawk-missiles/

Do you believe the US submarine fleet are all diesel powered? I think General Dynamics would disagree with you.

He has misread what I wrote and assumed nuclear subs built by the UK 60 years ago are still in operation. See my previous post. 

Edited by NickW
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NickW said:

He has misread what I wrote and assumed nuclear subs built by the UK 60 years ago are still in operation. See my previous post. 

Sorry yeah I misread what he said myself lol

Yes there are 4 Dreadnought nuc subs being built as we speak via BAE systems to RR and RR integrators (sub tier manufacturers) these are both Nuclear powered and nuclear armed.

Regarding the 7 Astute class nuclear attack subs, 5 are commissioned and the last 2 still being built.

Obviously US , UK and OZ have just signed up together too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob Plant said:

Sorry yeah I misread what he said myself lol

Yes there are 4 Dreadnought nuc subs being built as we speak via BAE systems to RR and RR integrators (sub tier manufacturers) these are both Nuclear powered and nuclear armed.

Regarding the 7 Astute class nuclear attack subs, 5 are commissioned and the last 2 still being built.

Obviously US , UK and OZ have just signed up together too.

RR have been building PWR's since the late 50's. They may well have been US designs / modifications of US designs but the point is they have a huge amount of experience in this field. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NickW said:

RR have been building PWR's since the late 50's. They may well have been US designs / modifications of US designs but the point is they have a huge amount of experience in this field. 

My company makes the fasteners for RR on these subs amongst other things, we are the only GS3001 RR approved fastener manufacturer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NickW said:

The only obstacle to permanent disposal of  high grade nuclear waste is political. Low level stuff can just be isolated and left to decay. 

technical answer - find a an area of stable rock and drill a big hole several hundred meters deep. Vitrify the nuc waste in glass. Encase in Copper cask. Embed cask in hole in bentonite clay. 

The nuclear waste can be given to the Russians. One person's nuclear waste is another person's future MOX fuel.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Andrei Moutchkine said:

The nuclear waste can be given to the Russians. One person's nuclear waste is another person's future MOX fuel.

Why - the UK's MOX processing facilities are second only to the French facilities. 

Sellafield - Wikipedia

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NickW said:

Why - the UK's MOX processing facilities are second only to the French facilities. 

Sellafield - Wikipedia

And the French are second to Russians. The French already do send their "tails" to Russia for reprocessing.

What does UK need MOX fuel for? Do they have any production plants running on MOX? Russia does

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remix_Fuel

Your link says the site is getting decommissioned

9 hours ago, Wombat One said:

Ron, you know that I am also a fan of natural gas as a bridging fuel, but you also now know that wind and solar are much cheaper than any fossil fuel when it comes to producing electricity for the grid. Another thing you know is that batteries and H2 will eventually provide all the short and long-term storage in the not-too-distant future. And that H2 or green ammonia will power ships and aircraft. I thought you might like to take a look at the latest Quarterly Report from Shell. It doesn't take much "reading between the lines" to see which direction they are heading. From building offshore wind in New Jersey, selling out of oil refineries before they become worthless, to investing heavily in H2. Here is the link...

https://www.shell.com/investors/results-and-reporting/quarterly-results/_jcr_content/par/grid/p0/textimage.stream/1627487961332/4e29c45e60019d73765e9953217e29935de67692/q2-2021-qra-document.pdf

Dunno if that is "clickable" but easy to google shell.com and go from there. Just search "Quarterly Results".

I have not studied your link yet. I have my own sources and you can see some of them right on oilprice.com I will tell you that realists will win the battle, not green dreamers. I hope that the dreamers win in the long run but that will be long after we are all dead. I am talking about the next few decades. Coal will rule in Asia for decades. Natural gas will be tapped and used all over the world. No sane person will accept the higher prices of wind and solar. Natural gas is very abundant and will meet the real needs of the present. Economies that attempt to go all green quickly will crumble. Look at Europe right now. Look at America right now. Biden says that high gasoline prices are bad but that Global warming is worse. That is like saying to hell with the economy, just give me 13 trillion dollars to waste on the Demoncrat agenda.

Hydrogen is made from natural gas. It can be made from excess wind power, but I do not see that happening.

• Upvote 2

(edited)

On 10/7/2021 at 9:32 AM, Wombat One said:

Why do you think the UK is investing in H2 production?

Because they think there is more profit in it. 

Edited by ronwagn
spelling

14 hours ago, NickW said:

The only obstacle to permanent disposal of  high grade nuclear waste is political. Low level stuff can just be isolated and left to decay. 

technical answer - find a an area of stable rock and drill a big hole several hundred meters deep. Vitrify the nuc waste in glass. Encase in Copper cask. Embed cask in hole in bentonite clay. 

Ok then. Why is this not being done? Why not use Yucca Flat which was stopped by Senator Harry Reid, Democrat. 

16 hours ago, Rob Plant said:

Really???

If you had passed a class in English grammar rather than getting  a social promotion (no student left behind), you would know that the number of submarines operational world wide in 1961 was exactly  9.  All retired before 50 years of age.  The USNS Emterprise was not retired as  scheduled  before 50 years because the Gerald R Ford was not timely delivered. To maintain numbers of operational carriers the Enterprise  was held back 8 years.  The US NS TEXAS, and California CGN class  and USNS Bainbridge and Truxton were all timely retired.

Now stupid do you know what a Block II and III Los Angeles boat  is?   They are revised Los Angeles boats. The Bremerton began decommissioning at 44 years of age. She was the last of the Block I Los Angeles class. . AS to this stupid illiterate statement"Do you believe the US submarine fleet are all diesel powered? I think General Dynamics would disagree with you." I said as of 2019 the  Ohio is the oldest sub in service.  Bremerton went to nuclear decommsioning in 2020. Are you knot literate enough to know that the Ohio is a nuke powered Boomer? and therefore all 16 boomers are active.  It  also should be intuitively obvious that all Block II and III boats are still in service.

Royal Navy's first nuke boat was Dreadnaught serving from 1962 to 1980.

How many of you have a DD214?

4 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I have not studied your link yet. I have my own sources and you can see some of them right on oilprice.com I will tell you that realists will win the battle, not green dreamers. I hope that the dreamers win in the long run but that will be long after we are all dead. I am talking about the next few decades. Coal will rule in Asia for decades. Natural gas will be tapped and used all over the world. No sane person will accept the higher prices of wind and solar. Natural gas is very abundant and will meet the real needs of the present. Economies that attempt to go all green quickly will crumble. Look at Europe right now. Look at America right now. Biden says that high gasoline prices are bad but that Global warming is worse. That is like saying to hell with the economy, just give me 13 trillion dollars to waste on the Demoncrat agenda.at

Hydrogen is made from natural gas. It can be made from excess wind power, but I do not see that happening.

Ron it is already happening 10 mw at Shells refinery in Germany and 18 mw  ENi's refinery in Italy https://www.shell.de/media/shell-media-releases/2021/shell-energy-and-chemicals-park-rheinland.html

https://www.thechemicalengineer.com/news/shell-and-itm-to-burefinery-projectild-world-s-largest-electrolysis-plant/

• Like 1

(edited)

7 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Ok then. Why is this not being done? Why not use Yucca Flat which was stopped by Senator Harry Reid, Democrat. 

Note the word POLITICAL

Edited by NickW
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ronwagn said:

I have not studied your link yet. I have my own sources and you can see some of them right on oilprice.com I will tell you that realists will win the battle, not green dreamers. I hope that the dreamers win in the long run but that will be long after we are all dead. I am talking about the next few decades. Coal will rule in Asia for decades. Natural gas will be tapped and used all over the world. No sane person will accept the higher prices of wind and solar. Natural gas is very abundant and will meet the real needs of the present. Economies that attempt to go all green quickly will crumble. Look at Europe right now. Look at America right now. Biden says that high gasoline prices are bad but that Global warming is worse. That is like saying to hell with the economy, just give me 13 trillion dollars to waste on the Demoncrat agenda.

At £2.5-3 a Therm for natural gas, wind and solar per kwh thrashes gas on price. 

You need to join the real world and stop dreaming Ron

(edited)

7 hours ago, nsdp said:

If you had passed a class in English grammar rather than getting  a social promotion (no student left behind), you would know that the number of submarines operational world wide in 1961 was exactly  9.  All retired before 50 years of age.  The USNS Emterprise was not retired as  scheduled  before 50 years because the Gerald R Ford was not timely delivered. To maintain numbers of operational carriers the Enterprise  was held back 8 years.  The US NS TEXAS, and California CGN class  and USNS Bainbridge and Truxton were all timely retired.

Now stupid do you know what a Block II and III Los Angeles boat  is?   They are revised Los Angeles boats. The Bremerton began decommissioning at 44 years of age. She was the last of the Block I Los Angeles class. . AS to this stupid illiterate statement"Do you believe the US submarine fleet are all diesel powered? I think General Dynamics would disagree with you." I said as of 2019 the  Ohio is the oldest sub in service.  Bremerton went to nuclear decommsioning in 2020. Are you knot literate enough to know that the Ohio is a nuke powered Boomer? and therefore all 16 boomers are active.  It  also should be intuitively obvious that all Block II and III boats are still in service.

Royal Navy's first nuke boat was Dreadnaught serving from 1962 to 1980.

How many of you have a DD214?

Calm down ndsp no need to name call, I'm sure you're "stupid" on many topics!

I did correct my own error after this post if you could be bothered to check/read it, I was skim reading, typing and trying to work all at the same time.

Not to worry I'll move on.

Edited by Rob Plant
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nsdp said:

Good luck with that if it is at a good price. 

8 hours ago, NickW said:

At £2.5-3 a Therm for natural gas, wind and solar per kwh thrashes gas on price. 

This is all caused by the green dreamers and their government wrangling with the economy. They are intent on destroying the real economy and are doing an excellent job. The people will rebel against the foolisness. 

https://www.climatedepot.com/2021/10/08/bloomberg-news-moment-of-clarity-global-energy-crisis-is-the-first-of-many-in-the-clean-power-era-what-does-a-global-transition-to-clean-energy-mean-energy-crises-gas-shortages/

8 hours ago, NickW said:

https://www.climatedepot.com/2021/10/08/bloomberg-news-moment-of-clarity-global-energy-crisis-is-the-first-of-many-in-the-clean-power-era-what-does-a-global-transition-to-clean-energy-mean-energy-crises-gas-shortages/

19 hours ago, NickW said:

Sellafield - Wikipedia

This is an interesting article. I would love to see how much money they will spend on their total operations during the life of this agency! 

(edited)

13 hours ago, nsdp said:

This is forward looking and depending on government funding. In other words not profitable without it. 

Godorf / Wesseling - partners of this additional 100 MW electrolysis - Refhyne II - are ITM Power, ITM Linde Electrolysis GmbH (ILE) and Linde. Construction of this facility could start in 2022.

Shell and its partners apply for funding from the EU and Germany for both projects. A final investment decision for both projects is still pending.

Both projects are integral parts of the planned transformation of the site into the "Shell Energy and Chemicals Park Rhineland" including an Energy Campus, for which the company is currently looking for partners.

The second article seems to be about an AMR project that is still in development. (If I found the one you are refering to.) https://www.thechemicalengineer.com/news/u-battery-unveils-full-scale-amr-mockup/

Edited by ronwagn
add

1 hour ago, ronwagn said:

The rise in gas prices isn't unique to the UK. It is affecting everyone even the US as the country has developed a major export trade in LNG. 

It really is one flew over the cuckoo nest territory if you think any country reliant on imports should put all its interests in one fuel, in this case gas. From an energy security perspective fuel sources should be varied to cushion the effects of shocks in the supply chain in one of them.

Again it appears your response to gas shortages is that countries should drop other fuel sources (nuclear, renewables, coal etc) and become even more reliant on imported gas. 

1 hour ago, ronwagn said:

This is all caused by the green dreamers and their government wrangling with the economy. They are intent on destroying the real economy and are doing an excellent job. The people will rebel against the foolisness. 

So with renewables there isn't enough gas. 

Without renewables and assuming no coal or nuclear the requirement for gas would be even greater wouldn't it? 

• Like 1