ronwagn

Australia sues Neoen for lack of power from its Tesla battery

As long as utilities follow Elon Musk's siren song they will continue to face problems.  Li-iron is more stable  (no fires)and only issue is being an asynchronous  source on a synchronous  grid.

(edited)

1 hour ago, ronwagn said:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/australia-sues-neoen-lack-power-022356197.html

All sizes of batteries from small cars to mega storage are still having major problems. 

That is certainly an interesting story but raises a lot of questions. Why didn't the battery provide the services it was paid for? (The fire mentioned in the story is a different battery.) The statement of claim made to the court should be public record, so the reporter could have at least asked AER for that.. instead all we get is a bland comment from the operator that the battery has proved important. We will have to await developments. .. Looked at other stories. All that's being said is that the battery didn't provide the services for four months.. Neoen hasn't given a defence.. 

Edited by markslawson
addition/clarification
  • Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

46 minutes ago, nsdp said:

As long as utilities follow Elon Musk's siren song they will continue to face problems.  Li-iron is more stable  (no fires)and only issue is being an asynchronous  source on a synchronous  grid.

?? Tesla started using LFP for grid storage months ago.

Multiple news sources are reporting that Tesla has begun using lithium-iron phosphate (LFP) battery cells in its Megapack grid-scale storage systems. https://cleantechnica.com/2021/05/11/tesla-transitions-to-lfp-battery-cells-for-megapack-installations/

Edited by Jay McKinsey

1 hour ago, ronwagn said:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/australia-sues-neoen-lack-power-022356197.html

All sizes of batteries from small cars to mega storage are still having major problems. 

6aff06c075b9654b7ab2eeebd63cc034

Tesla Powerpacks at Neoen wind farm in Hornsdale

"still having problems" you say in regard to an event that happened two years ago about which we have no details. Simply brilliant.

• Rolling Eye 2

4 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

"still having problems" you say in regard to an event that happened two years ago about which we have no details. Simply brilliant.

Tell that to all of the Bolt owners who cannot keep their vehicles in their garages or near other parked cars! Two years ago it started and the nightmare continues with no help from GM!  No solution to their problem yet! 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ronwagn said:

Tell that to all of the Bolt owners who cannot keep their vehicles in their garages or near other parked cars! Two years ago it started and the nightmare continues with no help from GM!  No solution to their problem yet! 

Wrong as usual:

Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery Production Resumes

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2021/sep/0920-bolt.html

• Rolling Eye 1

(edited)

Gee Ron it looks like ICE vehicles are still having major problems:

GM recalls 331,000 pickup trucks because their engine block heaters can cause fires https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gm-recalls-331-000-pickup-trucks-because-engine-block-heaters-can-cause-fires-01625771814#:~:text=DETROIT (AP) — General Motors,short circuit and cause fires.

2021 Ram truck owners encouraged to park vehicle outside due to fire risk, recall announced https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/03/2021-ram-truck-owner-encouraged-to-park-vehicle-outside-due-to-fire-risk-recall-announced.html

Edited by Jay McKinsey

(edited)

16 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

No, you are wrong as usual. None have been fixed yet and have two more months to wait for the fixes to begin.

Wrong again:

• Battery module replacements to begin in October

"replacement battery modules will begin shipping to dealers as soon as mid-October." "GM will continue to prioritize Chevy Bolt EV and EUV customers whose batteries were manufactured during specific build timeframes where GM believes battery defects appear to be clustered."

Edited by Jay McKinsey

13 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Wrong again:

• Battery module replacements to begin in October

"replacement battery modules will begin shipping to dealers as soon as mid-October." "GM will continue to prioritize Chevy Bolt EV and EUV customers whose batteries were manufactured during specific build timeframes where GM believes battery defects appear to be clustered."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37552121/chevy-bolt-battery-recall-deep-dive-details/ No schedule yet.

Just now, ronwagn said:

I know you didn't make it past the second grade but in the third they teach you about dates and in the fourth they teach you about hierarchy of information resources. The Car and Driver article is dated September 13. The official news bulletin from General Motors is dated September 20. 

One of these sources is a magazine article and came out a week before the other. The other is the official news bulletin from the manufacture announcing the solution and schedule for battery replacements to begin in October. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jay McKinsey said:

I know you didn't make it past the second grade but in the third they teach you about dates and in the fourth they teach you about hierarchy of information resources. The Car and Driver article is dated September 13. The official news bulletin from General Motors is dated September 20. 

One of these sources is a magazine article and came out a week before the other. The other is the official news bulletin from the manufacture announcing the solution and schedule for battery replacements to begin in October. 

What part of no repairs have been scheduled do you not comprehend?

• Haha 2

(edited)

24 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

What part of no repairs have been scheduled do you not comprehend?

The article you cited says "No schedules have been given for any cell replacements." It does not say "scheduled".  Again I will point out that statement was made a week before the official news bulletin. General Motors has now given a schedule for battery (cell) replacements and an explanation of how that schedule is going to work. Definitely something a third grader should be able to comprehend.

Or to phrase it a little simpler, what about your article being written a week before the schedule was announced do you not comprehend?

Edited by Jay McKinsey
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Wombat1 said:

That is a terrific update! Clearly Indonesia is looking forward to getting cables after Singapore. Let's hope your government doesn't shut it down on trumped up environmental grounds like the hydrogen production facility.

2 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

That is a terrific update! Clearly Indonesia is looking forward to getting cables after Singapore. Let's hope your government doesn't shut it down on trumped up environmental grounds like the hydrogen production facility.

I wasn't aware of the hydrogen facility getting the axe, will have to google it, thanks for letting me know. 

1 minute ago, Wombat1 said:

I wasn't aware of the hydrogen facility getting the axe, will have to google it, thanks for letting me know. 

Australia rejects application to build world's largest green hydrogen project

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/electric-power/062221-australia-rejects-application-to-build-worlds-largest-green-hydrogen-project

1 minute ago, Wombat1 said:

"It's not easy being green".

1 minute ago, turbguy said:

That is impressive.

It will be of interest to see if that large a solar field has some unanticipated impact on the local environment.

Actually turbguy, 12,000 hectares is a very tiny amount of land in outback Australia. The largest cattle station is over a million hectares, and there are many of comparable size.

(edited)

5 minutes ago, Wombat1 said:

Actually turbguy, 12,000 hectares is a very tiny amount of land in outback Australia. The largest cattle station is over a million hectares, and there are many of comparable size.

I agree, it's a small percentage, and probably a great location. 

No fuel to mine/drill/process/haul. 

No water to consume.

Lots of "black", however.

Hopefully, the impact will be non-measurable.

Lots of glass to be kept clean.

Edited by turbguy

9 minutes ago, turbguy said:

I agree, it's a small percentage, and probably a great location. 

No fuel to mine/drill/process/haul. 

No water to consume.

Lots of "black", however.

Hopefully, the impact will be non-measurable.

Lots of glass to be kept clean.

Ha Ha, speaking of black, the local Aboriginals will be most grateful for the employment opportunities involved mainly in keeping the glass clean. We have a lot of "black tape" here, especially in Western Australia, so I suspect the hydrogen plant there may not have got full approval on this basis. Perhaps due to lack of sufficient Australian control/participation in the financing and ownership, not sure. Then there is the problem with the Ammonia competing with Aussie LNG and coal which is what Jay is hinting at. As I say, not sure as to the motivation behind the decision, especially when our PM is touting the H2 industry. I certainly don't believe our govt wants to give control of vast tracts of land to foreign companies, has already become a hot political potato regarding foreign ownership of cattle stations. That is my best guess, lack of majority Aussie ownership causing a political problem.

• Upvote 2

@Jay McKinsey Could you find that source citing the natural gas price above $10.00/MMbtu for me? Coal is the only competitor with wind power down there if that's the case.

Modern ammonia plants with SMR have reached 90% efficiency, but using coal dumps that figure to around 70%. A plant using electrolytic hydrogen would maintain thermal efficiency of 80 - 90%. Might be cheaper on the capex side too.