Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FM

Few days before Day D : Here's What to Know About Singapore Summit

(edited)

"Historic" summit in Singapore on June 12. will mark the first time that a North Korean leader has met with a sitting U.S. president; remarkable as the two countries have no diplomatic relations and are officially still at war. With North Korea’s self described “complete” nuclear arsenal, and a history of tensely traded threats with the U.S., the stakes are dizzyingly high. The hotly anticipated summit is set to take place at the Capella Hotel on Singapore’s Sentosa Island, with the first meeting kicking off at 9a.m. local time on June 12. The hotel is a secluded luxury resort on the island with two presidential suites, one of which is a standalone property that could be prime for hosting the high level talks.Trump and Kim will bring their own delegations to the summit. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who travelled to North Korea twice earlier this year to negotiate and finalize the summit, Chief of Staff John Kelly and National Security Adviser John Bolton are expected to comprise Trump’s team, along with other senior White House officials.It is not yet clear who will be joining Kim Jong Un in South Korea, although several of his inner circle have been involved in the negotiating efforts over the past months. At this stage, many details of the summit remain unclear, including the discussion agenda and schedule. It may be the case that the Singapore summit will serve mainly as a meet-and-greet for both leaders to make introductions, as the two countries currently have no formal diplomatic relations and the North remains under steep sanctions from the U.S. and the U.N. Observers have warned against prematurely heralding the summit as a turning point of U.S.-North Korean relations and denuclearization on the peninsula, as North Korea will not easily give up its nuclear deterrent. The conclusion is clear: there are more unknown than known things about this summit. But without any doubt it could be the most important meeting in the last few decades ...

Edited by franco
  • Like 1

One medal, two sides. In same time U.S. are driving our trading partners right into the arms of China and Russia...They will never give up their nukes. They are just buying more time... And perhaps burgers:)

• Upvote 1

Hopefully it is milestone turned into global peace and demilitarization of Korea

• Upvote 1

President Trump on his preps for Singapore summit with Kim Jong Un: “I don’t think I have to prepare very much. It’s about the attitude.” Like going to a picnic

The best way to conduct diplomacy with a nuclear-armed adversary is to eschew all preparation and just wing it..:D

hmm

13 minutes ago, ThunderBlade said:

President Trump on his preps for Singapore summit with Kim Jong Un: “I don’t think I have to prepare very much. It’s about the attitude.” L

Hm..I didn't think I had to prepare for my college SATs.  It's all about attitude, right?

Time to bring in Dennis Rodman! He will get the deal done!

AAyozk3.jpg